Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engines to be built at Bowling Green

Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Sold? It's smack in the middle of Ford country up there. Perhaps the Blue Oval guys are eyeballing it? I don't know; I'm purely speculating there.

jas
Highly doubt that it would be sold to Ford. The Performance Build Center is a relatively small facility, located in an industrial complex.

Besides, Ford is in the midst of tearing down their Wixom Assembly Plant (which was closed after the Town Car/Crown Vic ceased production).

I would hope that the existing PBC workforce are given opportunities in prototype build functions within GM Powertrain, GM Proving Ground, or the Tech Center. Powertrain headquarters are approx 15 to 20 miles from the Wixom PBC location (note that BlueOx's posting of the press release doesn't mention reallocation of the workforce from the PBC).

Last edited by acrace; 01-30-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for the press releases Ox. A while ago in the "Who built your LS7" thread I asked eaglei (Don Henley) what the Wixom guys would be building after C6 production ends? At that time he said they had a few possible projects in the works. More recently the LS7 Camaro rumor seemed like a good way to keep the Wixom plant working until the hi-perf 2015 C7 appears. But GM's solution is to just eliminate the Performance Build Center for the year that it is not needed. As dedicated as the guys in Wixom are, it really will be good for Corvette to build the special engines right in BG.

Earlier eaglei posted they were informed in a meeting today. He thinks that some of the guys will go to GM Powertrain, some may retire, a few may transfer to Bowling Green. I visited Wixom in 2006 and 2007. They're a great bunch of guys, experienced and dedicated to their work. I wish them the best

The Wixom PBC is just one of a bunch of buildings in a big industrial park. It's really not very big and GM probably leases it.

Last edited by ZL-1; 01-31-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've built enough motors in my lifetime that they'd have to pay me to build my own Corvette engine. I put myself through college, buying cars that needed an overhaul, and flipping them. I bought several cars for myself that weren't running, and brought them back to life. I finally have enough money (and less free time), so I'm buying a new car! Why would I want to spend even more time and money, when GM will build my motor for no extra charge? I can always rebuild it in 15 years, when I wear out the internals.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting. They've moved the engine assembly and the frame assembly to BG, which will save tons of money. Maybe they actually will be able to price it in the low 50's.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Thanks for the press releases Ox. A while ago in the "Who built your LS7" thread I asked eaglei (Don Henley) what the Wixom guys would be building after C6 production ends? At that time he said they had a few possible projects in the works. More recently the LS7 Camaro rumor seemed like a good way to keep the Wixom plant working until the hi-perf 2015 C7 appears. But GM's solution is to just eliminate the Performance Build Center for the year that it is not needed. As dedicated as the guys in Wixom are, it really will be good for Corvette to build the special engines right in BG.

Earlier eaglei posted they were informed in a meeting today. He thinks that some of the guys will go to GM Powertrain, some may retire, a few may transfer to Bowling Green. I visited Wixom in 2006 and 2007. They're a great bunch of guys, experienced and dedicated to their work. I wish them the best

The Wixom PBC is just one of a bunch of buildings in a big industrial park. It's really not very big and GM probably leases it.
Thanks for the insights.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Interesting. They've moved the engine assembly and the frame assembly to BG, which will save tons of money. Maybe they actually will be able to price it in the low 50's.
No. The vast majority of LT1s will be built at Tonawanda facility.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Details on which engines would be available for customer assembly will be announced in the future.
I am thinking the choices could be:

LT4 (supercharged LT1; for the C7 ZR1)

&

L88 (bored & stroked hopped-up n/a LT1, aka the next-gen LS7; for the C7 Z06)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engines to be built at Bowling Green