C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How About a Z51 Package with Optional Hard Compound Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Default How About a Z51 Package with Optional Hard Compound Tires?

When I see the Track options on cars, it seems the automakers automatically assume everyone is out there competing, given they give us the softest, gummiest and expensive tires available, usually with treadwear ratings in the low 200's.

I want the opposite. I'm not out there to win races. I'm not out to set track records. I'm out there to improve my driving skills at pushing a car to the limits, and hitting my marks. Or perhaps I am on back roads enjoying the turns. Either way, it is about the driving.

I had the chance to drive a 2013 Mustang GT for a week with factory Pirelli P Zero's on it with a treadwear rating of 400! Even after hundreds of miles of hard cornering, they still looked like new. They didn't squeal, and they consistently pulled 0.9 G's, and I recorded a peak at 1.11 G's. Plus the tires are only $150 each!

I would like to have a car I can push or track, which is not going to cost a fortune in tire wear. I'll leave the bragging rights to others. To do that, I'd like to see the Z51 package available with optional reasonably priced, hard compound tires.

Michael
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 AM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I own a '12 V6 Mustang manual with the Pirelli P Zeros that you mention, and I am here to tell you that they are trash. After one (road course) track day each tire had hundreds of little centimeter wide chunks missing. It looked like sombody had used my tires for target practice with a .22 rifle. One track day, 4 ruined tires. If you put "hundreds of miles of hard cornering" on these tires and they still looked like new, then you need to ride with me so I can show you what hard cornering is.

Tires like these have no business on a track because they don't stick well AND they wear poorly when driven hard. I feel the same way about any run flat tire, but that's a whole different argument. I sort of agree and disagree with you at the same time. They should either give us some REAL track ready tires that aren't run flats, or else just highway cruisers. The Z51 especially should come with some non-run flat gumball tires. Otherwise I'm gonna ditch them as soon as I buy the car.

Last edited by stic5; 01-27-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 AM
glhs386
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So for some inexplicable reason you want upgraded suspension, but not the tires to match the suspension. I'm confused on why someone like you would even buy a "track pack" in the first place. Not that it matters in regards to the C7, as the Corvette team wisely decided to put every single one on Super Sports, Z51 or not.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Mew2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably because those could be easily purchased and I'm sure Corvette wants to stay far away from "cheap and easily replaceable" from now on.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by stic5
Well I own a '12 V6 Mustang manual with the Pirelli P Zeros that you mention, and I am here to tell you that they are trash. After one (road course) track day each tire had hundreds of little centimeter wide chunks missing. It looked like sombody had used my tires for target practice with a .22 rifle. One track day, 4 ruined tires. If you put "hundreds of miles of hard cornering" on these tires and they still looked like new, then you need to ride with me so I can show you what hard cornering is.
So 1.11G's is not hard cornering?

You're chunking the tires. You're over driving them for the road surface. This doesn't prove anything.

Michael
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by glhs386
So for some inexplicable reason you want upgraded suspension, but not the tires to match the suspension. I'm confused on why someone like you would even buy a "track pack" in the first place. Not that it matters in regards to the C7, as the Corvette team wisely decided to put every single one on Super Sports, Z51 or not.
Really, this isn't obvious? I want the heavy duty pieces, brakes, coolers, suspension, shocks, close ratio transmission, wheels, special diff. I didn't say I wanted junk tires, just an "optional" harder compound so I can have more tracks days with fewer tire replacements.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 01-27-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 AM
mustang1999
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glhs386
Some people will always fine something to bitch about that is why.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mustang1999
Some people will always fine something to bitch about that is why.
Suggesting another option is "bitching"? You have a bad attitude.

Michael
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael A
When I see the Track options on cars, it seems the automakers automatically assume everyone is out there competing, given they give us the softest, gummiest and expensive tires available, usually with treadwear ratings in the low 200's.

I want the opposite. I'm not out there to win races. I'm not out to set track records. I'm out there to improve my driving skills at pushing a car to the limits, and hitting my marks. Or perhaps I am on back roads enjoying the turns. Either way, it is about the driving.

I had the chance to drive a 2013 Mustang GT for a week with factory Pirelli P Zero's on it with a treadwear rating of 400! Even after hundreds of miles of hard cornering, they still looked like new. They didn't squeal, and they consistently pulled 0.9 G's, and I recorded a peak at 1.11 G's. Plus the tires are only $150 each!

I would like to have a car I can push or track, which is not going to cost a fortune in tire wear. I'll leave the bragging rights to others. To do that, I'd like to see the Z51 package available with optional reasonably priced, hard compound tires.

Michael
I agree

It is not a question of needing the right tire to gain the benefit that the Z51 package can provide but not tearing up $600 tires just to drive to work.

As it is now you could do a museum delivery with sticky tires and use up a significant part of your tire life just getting your car home and the running gear through the break-in period.

There is no substitute fora set of track day tires that can be driven to the track, but unless you do not use your vette for DD use they can get ridiculously expensive for the normal owner to use every day
Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

You can either replace the 1st set with whatever you want or get a 2nd set of rims/tires and save the originals for track days. I did both with my daughter's 2011 GS but went in the opposite direction. I put sticky slicks on one set of rims for racing and then put a sticky set of rain tires on the 2nd set of rims for the street. The sticky set of rain tires had a treadwear of 30!!! She loved them on the street and amazingly they lasted 8000 miles...not bad for $150 each.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Michael,

I think you might be surprised about the compound on the new Michelins on the next generation Corvette. In speaking with Lee Willard from Michelin, these new tires come as a 300 tread wear tire which is on par with the tires on the C6 base coupe and convertible. Compared to the tires included in the old Z51 or with the current Grand Sport which are a 220. Granted it isn't 400 of the Pirellis but the Goodyears at 300 were good for 35,000-40,000 at 300 vs 12,000 at 220. I just don't remember if he was discussing the current configuration on the base or on the Z51 as shown at the reveal.

Last edited by talon90; 01-27-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 AM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried about treadwear. I assume these will be similar to PS2's, and a set of those lasted me 30k. They also work decently on track and autocross.

Ordering different tires as an option is interesting, if that's what you really want, but not sure what that would cost gm logistically. Maybe nothing. Ask them.

But either way, you can do whatever you want after the first set wears out. I went from stock GY to PS2 to RE11, and the RE11's blow everything away, in every way. I'm sure I'll use the same on c7, even if the michelins are decent, as stock tires are always too expensive, plus who wants runflats.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Good to hear GM dumped the goodyears and went with the best tire...

Z51 deserves best street track performance tire from the factory. ...otherwise when it comes time to replace the tires...buy the tires you personally prefer...

GM wants thez51 to be the best performance sports car with the best tires and it makes sense....

Otherwise buy the car without the z51 if you don't want the best performance tire..

I want the best performance tire with the z51
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree, I want the Milage tires and a good ride. Options, Options, Options ...
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 AM
VinceJB
Instructor

Buy some Pirelli P Zero's-Problem solved! Sell me yours for cheap

Last edited by VinceJB; 01-27-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM
VinceJB
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Good to hear GM dumped the goodyears and went with the best tire...

Z51 deserves best street track performance tire from the factory. ...otherwise when it comes time to replace the tires...buy the tires you personally prefer...

GM wants thez51 to be the best performance sports car with the best tires and it makes sense....

Otherwise buy the car without the z51 if you don't want the best performance tire..

I want the best performance tire with the z51
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceJB
Buy some Pirelli P Zero's-Problem solved! Sell me yours for cheap
Bingo!

1) Why buy the Z51 package if you arent interested in maximum performance (aka grip)?

2) Last I checked. You can put any tires on any car you desire, as long as they fit. You dont have to use what the manufacturer installs. Want the P-zeros on your car? Then I'm sure TireRack.com can have them sitting in your driveway just 2 days from now. Im not seeing what the problem is.

3) For those who are not informed. The C7 will come with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. These are considered to be best all around maximum performance street tire on the market. They are so new, they are still not available in all the C6 sizes yet. And one of their claims-to-fame is treadwear life. Meaning that yes.. they will have lots of grip & a long life. Chances are the factory installed Michelin SS are wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than any other tire you would be trying to replace them with. But if you really desire to replace them with a lesser brand.. knock yourself out!

Get notified of new replies

To How About a Z51 Package with Optional Hard Compound Tires?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd rather have the Z51 package with an optional tire that is 1" wider, instead of 1" less sidewall.

I get that less side wall is supposed to reduce flex in the tire and improve turn-in but I am not convinced that there is any noticeable improvement in handling when you're going from a 18" and 19" wheel to a 19" and 20" wheel. Anything above 18" and there must be some diminishing returns.

So as far as I am concerned, the larger wheels in the Z51 package is purely a cosmetic upgrade. If I had it my way, the Z51 wheels would be the same diameter as the base at 18" and 19" but just 1" wider all around.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you can swing $65-70k for a z51 c7 you can afford a new set of tires. Hell spend the $1600 on new tires the minute you pick it up, and sell the take offs to offset the cost.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I certainly understand the op's concern considering the old C6 Z51's tires from the past. I just think it is a bit early to be this concerned about it since nobody has publicly tested these 300 tread wear tires yet.

Quick Reply: How About a Z51 Package with Optional Hard Compound Tires?