Sponsored by:

The C7 two weeks later...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Default The C7 two weeks later...

I've had some time to look the car over and read about, getting to know it better.

I have this analysis of the C7.

I like it a lot. The front end is spot on, sides as well. The rear end is starting to grow on me. I WANT to see it in person.

FYI, to GM please let the lower rear be body color. Would look a LOT better.

This C7 in design and somewhat in engineering is the MOST radical change to the Corvette since the 1984 C4. The C5 was a GIGANTIC leap in engineering over the C4 but NOT in design at all.

For better or worse the C4 in 84 was a RADICAL change in design, engineering and otherwise. The C4 also introduced TONS of "modern" electronics such as fuel injection, ABS, Traction Control, Air Bags, etc...

I think the C7 is a new chapter in the Corvette history. Its that different. It pays subtle homage to past generations yet is looking ahead and making it own path.

If I may the C1-C3 is Classic Corvette, the cars where all influenced by the original creators directly more or less. Designed with old technology and few computers.

The C4-C6 is Modern Corvette, they all look similar in shape, size, weight, and overall layout. The basic concepts are thru all 3 generations. Lets face it Dave McLellan had to leave a lot of ideas on the table thanks to GM management with the C4. He corrected those on the C5. The C5 was about 90% done in 93 when he stepped down. He hard chassis engineering was done anyhow. All designed in the computer era but not yet when it was fully developed.

The C7 is Post-Modern Corvette, a new era, not connected to the past in any meaningful way. Yes the basic idea of the C5 chassis remains but highly modified. The engines, etc...are at a level much higher than the warmed over C5 known as the C6. The exterior design is totally new and fresh. Same with the inside. A bit of 90-93 in there but its just in basic layout only. The C7 is the first totally new Corvette designed in an era where internet, computers, smart phones, social media, etc...are common.

At any rate, that is how I see it.
I hope it sells well for GM. I'm encouraged by the fact Tadge Juechter in a recent Road and Track article basically said. He wishes the HP wars where over. He wants to focus on better steering feel and driver involvement. Not HP and PEAK skid pad grip. Amen to that.

Sounds like the Corvette is in good hands to me.

Lets face it, MOST Corvette owners NEVER come even close to the capabilities of what the car is capable of EVER. I've scared the crap out of people with my C4 and ONLY 300HP. Scared them even more auto-x'ing it. The newer ones are SO much more capable yet FEW find the limits or are even able to handle it. Its all bragging rights with HP and skid pad peak g's. Talk....its just talk. The car might be capable but you don't use it? Whats the point? I mean its your car but....its like being married to Mina Kunis and not sleeping with her. Doesn't make sense.

The Corvette has to shed its "old guy" image or the car its DEAD. I'm 25, and I'll tell you what from the younger crowd. I get a lot of crap from them. I take it well enough. I ask them have they ever had a ride in one? They answer No. I say get in. Then proceed. They walk away with a different attitude.

I think for many seeing a young man driving a Corvette the way it SHOULD be driven, changes minds.

Note: Not reckless on the streets, I play my games at the track and auto-x ONLY. I'm paying for my Corvette, not being stupid with it.

Your thoughts and comments. Especially on the Classic, Modern, Post-Modern thing?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
I've had some time to look the car over and read about, getting to know it better.

I like it a lot. The front end is spot on, sides as well. The rear end is starting to grow on me. I WANT to see it in person.

This C7 in design and somewhat in engineering is the MOST radical change to the Corvette since the 1984 C4. The C5 was a GIGANTIC leap in engineering over the C4 but NOT in design at all.

For better or worse the C4 in 84 was a RADICAL change in design, engineering and otherwise. The C4 also introduced TONS of "modern" electronics such as fuel injection, ABS, Traction Control, Air Bags, etc...

I think the C7 is a new chapter in the Corvette history. Its that different. It pays subtle homage to past generations yet is looking ahead and making it own path.

If I may the C1-C3 is Classic Corvette, the cars where all influenced by the original creators directly more or less. Designed with old technology and few computers.

The C4-C6 is Modern Corvette, they all look similar in shape, size, weight, and overall layout. The basic concepts are thru all 3 generations. Lets face it Dave McLellan had to leave a lot of ideas on the table thanks to GM management with the C4. He corrected those on the C5. The C5 was about 90% done in 93 when he stepped down. He hard chassis engineering was done anyhow. All designed in the computer era but not yet when it was fully developed.

The C7 is Post-Modern Corvette, a new era, not connected to the past in any meaningful way. Yes the basic idea of the C5 chassis remains but highly modified. The engines, etc...are at a level much higher than the warmed over C5 known as the C6. The exterior design is totally new and fresh. Same with the inside. A bit of 90-93 in there but its just in basic layout only. The C7 is the first totally new Corvette designed in an era where internet, computers, smart phones, social media, etc...are common.

I hope it sells well for GM. I'm encouraged by the fact Tadge Juechter in a recent Road and Track article basically said. He wishes the HP wars where over. He wants to focus on better steering feel and driver involvement. Not HP and PEAK skid pad grip. Amen to that.

Lets face it, MOST Corvette owners NEVER come even close to the capabilities of what the car is capable of EVER. I've scared the crap out of people with my C4 and ONLY 300HP. Scared them even more auto-x'ing it. The newer ones are SO much more capable yet FEW find the limits or are even able to handle it. Its all bragging rights with HP and skid pad peak g's. Talk....its just talk. The car might be capable but you don't use it? Whats the point? I mean its your car but....its like being married to Mina Kunis and not sleeping with her. Doesn't make sense.

The Corvette has to shed its "old guy" image or the car its DEAD. I'm 25, and I'll tell you what from the younger crowd. I get a lot of crap from them. I take it well enough. I ask them have they ever had a ride in one? They answer No. I say get in. Then proceed. They walk away with a different attitude.

I think for many seeing a young man driving a Corvette the way it SHOULD be driven, changes minds.

Note: Not reckless on the streets, I play my games at the track and auto-x ONLY. I'm paying for my Corvette, not being stupid with it.

Your thoughts and comments. Especially on the Classic, Modern, Post-Modern thing?
yeah I am 21 and I'm deciding if I want to save up toward a c7, c7 z06 (if they don't kill it) or get a c6 z06 (I am in a position financially where I could own either by the time I'm 25 or maybe even earlier). I currently own a 2000 z28 Camaro FWIW. I want to see the c7 in person.. I am SO PLEASED the design team took the gamble and went with a NEW exterior design. I am so sick of "retro" styled cars... I want to buy something that is on the bleeding edge of high tech and looks like it is from the future.

Im honestly not surprised they ditched the conventional headlights with the new design because they had to change everything to start fresh. And honestly, I dont mind the tail lights as much after I saw this video seeing the car in person. The tail lights have a weird 3 dimensional look to them up close which is cool. I still think they could have came up with something better for the rear end but it's growing on me. The front of the car is a homerun tho

http://jalopnik.com/5978819/jay-leno...vette-stingray

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-25-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

I wouldn't group them by appearance. I think that over the seven generations of Corvettes there have been four distinct chassis/drivetrain/suspension architectures: C1, C2-C3, C4, and C5-C7. There is a strong through-line from the C5 through the C7. Look at the cars with the body panels off. The layout of components and methods of construction represent a steady evolution of the pattern that started with the C5.

Even with the body panels on, the C5-C7 have similar silhouettes. The basic proportions are close, which isn't a bad thing.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 AM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

I agree and feel that the Corvette continually evolves. They didn't all have pop-up headlights, round taillights and some even had trunks.

I like the C7 and think too much is being made over the rear taillights.. If you look at GM ads through the years, GM compared the C3 to the Camaro of the time and they both had similar taillights. GM even had ads when the Cobalt came out saying the Corvette was the "big brother" or something to that affect - the Cobalt had very similar taillights too.

Obviously, some won't like it as it will displace their C6; just like the C6 displaced the C5 and so on... it's happened to Corvette owners/admirers since the unveiling of the C2.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 AM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by torquetube
I wouldn't group them by appearance. I think that over the seven generations of Corvettes there have been four distinct chassis/drivetrain/suspension architectures: C1, C2-C3, C4, and C5-C7. There is a strong through-line from the C5 through the C7. Look at the cars with the body panels off. The layout of components and methods of construction represent a steady evolution of the pattern that started with the C5.

Even with the body panels on, the C5-C7 have similar silhouettes. The basic proportions are close, which isn't a bad thing.
I agree with this. The C7 is in my eyes an evolution of the C5 and C6.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Mew2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 23 and drive a 2001 C5. I am thinking of trading up towards a C6 but I guess I'll see how the C7 affects prices.

I love the new C7 and think they hit exactly what they were aiming for, but I probably won't be able to afford one anytime in the very near future T_T
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I believe the performance of the new c7 is easily capable of being used to the fullest. The same of the c6.

I dig the new c7
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I thought the c4 was great in technology but bad in design. Sorry OP. I alway thought the c4 era made a plain looking corvette. It didn't really stand out.

I have wanted a c6 for a long time now, but putting yourself through college kind of prevents buying one. I want to wait a few years and get a used c7 because of the looks and especially the interior. Definitely a home-run on the interior. I fear though, they will be so popular that even after a few years, they will still be really expensive.

As for design over the generations, I agree with you that the c7 is a major step forward. I think the c2 and later gen c3s were huge changes in design and became iconic. Next the c5 and now the c7.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 01-26-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I thought the c4 was great in technology but bad in design. Sorry OP. I alway thought the c4 error made a plain looking corvette. It didn't really stand out.
It did back in 1984. The C4 was an incredible advancement in the handling and aerodynamics, and is the grandfather for what we see today. And yes, some think, by today's standards it looks, well, a little cheesy. But she was the hot blonde at the prom during it's time. And I still like the lines on my '96. No, she's no longer the hot blonde at the prom, more like that blondes hot mom But, that is subjective I guess.

I personally think they got this right. I think the design, technology, and interior is exactly what the Corvette needed and right now. What really impresses me, is not the HP, but the torgue. It appears that this car is going to pull hard and all thoughout the rpm range. What I'm saying is even though it may not be the 550 hp some wanted, it just might feel like it. What I really think is going to be signifacant is how much they stiffened up the chassis, almost 60%. Yes, I was hoping for a significantly lighter car, and it doesn't appear that will be the case, however, they have pushed that weight lower in the car and evenly distributed that weight. That means, for you track stars, that you may actually be able to use alot more of that power. Afterall, what good is a number if you can't use it?

For those of us that are not track stars, why do we care about numbers? Well that torque number is important to us. It means that this car is going to be extremely efficient cruising and showing off. This means that not only are we going to get more cruising for our gas money, but the engine is not going to have to work hard to do it. This means fewer trips to the dealer, or less wrench time, however you do the Corvette experience.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the c4 was great in technology but bad in design. Sorry OP. I alway thought the c4 era made a plain looking corvette. It didn't really stand out.
Park a C4 next to any of the cars made in the 80s. It stands out dramatically.

For that matter, park a C4 next to 99 percent of cars on the road today and it still stands out.

Even next to a C6 GS.

All vettes stand out. The attention my C4 gets was rather surprising at first. It was like having the Bird. Only without it being bright Arrest me and take me straight to jail Red like my gen 4 birdy was.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
It did back in 1984. The C4 was an incredible advancement in the handling and aerodynamics, and is the grandfather for what we see today. And yes, some think, by today's standards it looks, well, a little cheesy. But she was the hot blonde at the prom during it's time. And I still like the lines on my '96. No, she's no longer the hot blonde at the prom, more like that blondes hot mom But, that is subjective I guess.
By that standard it would be a one-way street - no car would be deemed a classic and all would simply become obsolete. Being revolutionary and standing out can only be judged relative to peers, not against modern examples.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The early C4 has to be ugliest corvette. Especially with that bread box on the dash.
It was like sitting down in a box too. They did give it the C7 dash later on which
helped. And oooh square tailights, yeah C4 copied the C7
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
The early C4 has to be ugliest corvette. Especially with that bread box on the dash.
It was like sitting down in a box too. They did give it the C7 dash later on which
helped. And oooh square tailights, yeah C4 copied the C7
I think the only vette that's close to ugly is the C2.

Though the mid 70s to 82 C3 makes a close second with that fugly bumper and roofline combo. To say nothing of the cheapo fender vents vs the earlier cars Gills.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I guess I am a minority on this. I never thought the c4 was exceptional looking. I always thought it looked plain. But it could be due to my age and when I started looking at cars closely.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
I think the only vette that's close to ugly is the C2.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
MJDVET111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I believe the performance of the new c7 is easily capable of being used to the fullest. The same of the c6.

I dig the new c7
Used to the fullest, on a public street or the track? You must mean the latter.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Great post.

Get notified of new replies

To The C7 two weeks later...

Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dahogan
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I bought a new 1982 Corvette and thought that was a great car until the 1984 Corvette came out. I traded my 82 in for a 1984. Back in 1984 dealers couldn't keep new Corvettes on the lot they sold as fast as they came in. 51,547 were built that was double the number of 1982's.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

U gotta love em all no matter what. They're our babies.

Quick Reply: The C7 two weeks later...