Orange Peel & the new C-7

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM
bolteon593
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip A
So they are not painted by robots?
considering it's an assembled body; i don't believe so.

keep in mind that the majority of what sits on the outside of the car is fiberglass.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

So they are not painted by robots?
Yes, they are all painted by robots. However, robots don't program themselves nor do they make changes based on paint pigmentation or viscosity changes in the batches of paint. They also can't reconcile issues with the panels as presented for paint.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Chip A
Instructor

Originally Posted by talon90
...The panels are composite, the paint process is an electrostatic process and you must concern yourself with grounding,...
That's gives rise to another question. How do you ground a non-conductive panel? I am making the assumption that it is non-conductive.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
My 2013 white 427 has very good paint on it! I mentioned this in the other thread regarding the C7 that the paint at 1:27 in the video looks horrible. Of course no one responded for we can't criticize the C7 w/out getting lambasted on here! Check it out, looks like lots of orange peel to me!
It is even someone else's fault everyone ignores you
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Chip A
Instructor

... They also can't reconcile issues with the panels as presented for paint.
They can't, but one would think that there is a Q-C role here to prevent bad panels from going to the paint line.
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

That's gives rise to another question. How do you ground a non-conductive panel? I am making the assumption that it is non-conductive.
As I stated in a previous post in this thread, the panels are pre-treated with a conductive primer which allows them to be used in an electrostatic paint process.
bolteon593
Intermediate

Yes, they are all painted by robots. However, robots don't program themselves nor do they make changes based on paint pigmentation or viscosity changes in the batches of paint. They also can't reconcile issues with the panels as presented for paint.
i stand corrected. no wonder this car is as expensive as it is... those robotics systems are not cheap!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

They can't, but one would think that there is a Q-C role here to prevent bad panels from going to the paint line.
There most certainly is. For all panels. However, some defects will only become visible when you change the surface by applying paint to it.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I would love to see that exact car in person, it just appears very cloudy to me but I could be wrong! You are right about the production line apsect although you'd like to think that the launch car would be flawless! Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, I've had the fortune of owning some real high end build muscle cars and street rods and they were always darn close to perfect. Quick pics of my Camaro with a 572/720 motor, see I am a GM guy!!! Hopefully you car guys will appreciate this!

Nice car, but pointless post.
You troll here you troll the ZR1 section, preaching about the Viper. Then you **** off so many members, so you suck up and show the "all about Dan" pics trying to lay low, then back to the trolling. It's tiresome.

Why do you keep hanging out here, when you don't like anything about the car?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Chip A
Instructor

As I stated in a previous post in this thread, the panels are pre-treated with a conductive primer which allows them to be used in an electrostatic paint process.
You did! Sorry I did not "get it" until I re-read your post. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Good info in this thread.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM
02EBzEE
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

It's a mass produced vehicle there's no getting around it. Even Ferraris have it. Best bet is to learn how to wet sand and get good with a buffer.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Nice car, but pointless post.
You troll here you troll the ZR1 section, preaching about the Viper. Then you **** off so many members, so you suck up and show the "all about Dan" pics trying to lay low, then back to the trolling. It's tiresome.

Why do you keep hanging out here, when you don't like anything about the car?
That Camaro must have front wheel drive as I hear that for 2014 narrow tires are the cat's meow for hooking up.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcallen484
It is even someone else's fault everyone ignores you
Well my friend if anyone feels better b/c they ignore me than good for them! This is a car forum, it is for the purpose of learning, comparing, debating, educating and helping those when possible! If any adult on here cannot handle bantering a topic be it like or dislike then they shouldn't engage! I have and will go back and forth on a subject for one reason and that's b/c I believe in what I'm saying! It appears to me that if you don't go with the majority consensus on here you are branded, so friggin' childish it is almost sad! I will discuss any car related topic with anyone on here (except for Racer who I'm convinced is not worthy of my time and I will not engage him again) and do it with the utmost honesty and courtesy!

Maybe I can offer someone advice or help and maybe someone can do the same for me! Either way it's just a forum, if you or anyone feels the need to ignore me well than so be it!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Chip A
Instructor

This is a car forum, it is for the purpose of learning, comparing, debating, educating and helping those when possible! If any adult on here cannot handle bantering a topic be it like or dislike then they shouldn't engage!
BD; Forgive me. I know I am new here, but you seem intent on hyjacking this thread ABOUT Possible ORANGE PEEL on the new C-7. How does a picture of your high dollar paint job add to this dialogue?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bolteon593
i stand corrected. no wonder this car is as expensive as it is... those robotics systems are not cheap!

Hey BD...take a look at this one at 1:45...THAT is orange peel!!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

BD; Forgive me. I know I am new here, but you seem intent on hyjacking this thread ABOUT Possible ORANGE PEEL on the new C-7. How does a picture of your high dollar paint job add to this dialogue?
It doesn't, it is called bragging, he does it in the ZR1 section too. Maybe we should all bring out pics of our past/present cars and really hijack this whole section.

Get notified of new replies

To Orange Peel & the new C-7

Old 01-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Chip and no worries! If you read my post to ZOSIX I mentioned that "maybe I'm spoiled" b/c I have been fortunate enough to own some high end cars with flawless paint! The topic of this thread was orange peel and the picture albeit not a great one is to emphasis a perfect paint job. I also mentioned in the same post maybe some "car guys" would appreciate it, maybe I was wrong and they don't. I hope that answered your question! I appreciate your approach, don't become part of the mob mentality!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Hey BD...take a look at this one at 1:45...THAT is orange peel!!
Agreed Ox! On a lesser scale the vid of the C7 seems similar yet not as bad! IMO a launch car should be crystal clear everywhere and to me it seemed very cloudy! As I stated earlier I would love to look at that car up close and see if it's there!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Well my friend if anyone feels better b/c they ignore me than good for them! This is a car forum, it is for the purpose of learning, comparing, debating, educating and helping those when possible! If any adult on here cannot handle bantering a topic be it like or dislike then they shouldn't engage! I have and will go back and forth on a subject for one reason and that's b/c I believe in what I'm saying! It appears to me that if you don't go with the majority consensus on here you are branded, so friggin' childish it is almost sad! I will discuss any car related topic with anyone on here (except for Racer who I'm convinced is not worthy of my time and I will not engage him again) and do it with the utmost honesty and courtesy!

Maybe I can offer someone advice or help and maybe someone can do the same for me! Either way it's just a forum, if you or anyone feels the need to ignore me well than so be it!
Very true, all forums are exactly that, forums...., for folks to converse back and forth. In your case, this has nothing to do with you being "branded" because you have a differing opinion, plenty of folks have different opinions about the C7 (and the C6, C5, etc...). This has EVERYTHING to do with you saying the SAME thing OVER and OVER, ad nauseum, and LOOKING for ANYTHING to justify your position on the new car. Repeating yourself constantly is the height of childishness and it gets very tiresome. Seriously, you watch a compressed video on a computer monitor and make a statement about the paint quality? That's the same as watching a music performance on youtube and complaining about how bad the performer sounds, never mind that it's a compressed video with audio coming through computer speakers. Again, you have a cool car which you are understandably proud of, but, running the C7 down in every post when you haven't seen one in person or driven one is silly.

Jimmy
Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Racer
It doesn't, it is called bragging, he does it in the ZR1 section too. Maybe we should all bring out pics of our past/present cars and really hijack this whole section.
I've got some Chevelle pictures....but ummm my paint job is not as snazzy as that camaro's LOL

Quick Reply: Orange Peel & the new C-7