Sponsored by:

30,000 Units

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Ummm, has anyone noticed the government can't pay its bills? I'm not an economist but it would make sense that we as a country are headed in the wrong direction and that will translate to luxury purchases taking a huge hit! Sure it won't prevent some but many will be cautious with their spending this year IMO!
you are heading in completely the right direction.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

We know more about the hp than the price. GM has said the estimated hp is 450. All they have said about price is that if you can afford a C6 you can afford a C7.

Good point Jim,but here's the thing I wonder about this statement. Did they mean "afford" the MSRP,or the heavily discounted prices that customers have been enjoying on the C6 since around 2008?

There are a lot of happy C6 owners that wouldn't have been able to afford the sticker price of a C6. A forum dealer recently had a thread listing 1LT cars for as low as $38k and I recall another dealer a couple years back that had a 3LZ Z06 for $20k off sticker.

I think once the "gotta have it's" go through the system there will be a lull in sales until the discounts start happening on the C7. Will they be as great as the C6 discounts? I dunno,and it's probably selfish on my part(actually I know it is),but I hope they don't ***** the market on the C7. I had every intention of waiting for the high performance model to buy a C7,but after seeing the C7,I know it's a lost cause for me.....and my wallet. I'll buy a C7 ASAP and sell/trade it when the Z06/ZR1 becomes available,just like I did with the C6.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
The people that have the money to afford a new corvettes and other similarly priced cars do not seem to be that nervous about spending the money.

I certainly didn't see that nervousness at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale last week. They set records in both numbers of cars and sales prices and as like always Corvettes accounted for 10% or more of their car sales.
One difference in buying a collector car at Barrett-Jackson and buying a new car from a dealer, is that there is an expectation that the collector car will maintain it's valve long term(and hopefully rise) vs the expectation of a drop in value when buying a new car.

My 56 and 64 are not depreciating like my 09 Z06.
If I have the money to spare, to play with, in this economy, where would be the best place to put it? A 1967 Corvette or a 2014 Corvette?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
One difference in buying a collector car at Barrett-Jackson and buying a new car from a dealer, is that there is an expectation that the collector car will maintain it's valve long term(and hopefully rise) vs the expectation of a drop in value when buying a new car.

My 56 and 64 are not depreciating like my 09 Z06.
If I have the money to spare, to play with, in this economy, where would be the best place to put it? A 1967 Corvette or a 2014 Corvette?
The vast majority of the buyers I saw there were buying because it was something they really like or have lusted after for a long time and they have the money to buy it. I do not think that the collectibility or the resale value were the main focus for most of them.

My original point was that there are plenty of buyers out there and they will buy if you put something in front of them that they really like.

I have owned 25 vettes from all 6 generations including a 1953 when I was 17, a 1957 Fuelie when I was 19 and a brand new 1963 split window when I was 20 and cannot recall buying even one of the 25 because I thought it was collectible or for resale. I bought them all because I just plain wanted that car and I had the money to do it.

Unfortunately and sadly for me for the first time I just am not getting that "have to have it" from what I have seen so far of the C7. The new direct injection engine design has me wondering how well it will work out in the long pull and the hard and edgy body style just is not pleasing to my eye.

It sounded to me like from what I saw in the Car and Driver interview with the head engineer that this C7 was not the mid engine car they really wanted it to be because they had to compromise the design because of GM's financial problems that halted the C7 design process twice causing them to have to stick with something more conventional that would be easier to complete within the shortened design process.

Last edited by RJRSW; 01-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
Cut the crap about Goverment Motors. If you want to whine about the ownership of GM, take it to the Off Topic.

This is the C7 section, so we all would appreciate it if people would stick to that.
alrighty then.
By the way, only 25% of GM common stock was bought by the Federal Goverment during the restructing event. Only 1 of 14 elected Board Members has any affiliation with the Goverment. All the other BOD members come from top level industrial or automotive back ground. I really doubt the Gov't exercised any influence in the Corvette or any other products. By the way, Joe Biden owns a Corvette.
and then you add politics yourself (and it's damage control - to try and help out one side of the aisle).

mirror please.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Badluck33
Racer

I think it DOES depend on the price.

I'm waiting for the official price when it becomes available. If it starts at $59k + the extras making it a $65k car, then I will pass. I'm expecting it to be lower but who knows at this point. I want the car but I'm not going to give GM my money like that. At that point, I'd rather get a 2013 and still be around 50k

If they are aiming for 30k and are saying its 'attainable' then I have to guess it'll start around $49k with a very base and naked coupe.

And I would assume, that I'm not the only one on this boat......
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Badluck33
I think it DOES depend on the price.

I'm waiting for the official price when it becomes available. If it starts at $59k + the extras making it a $65k car, then I will pass. I'm expecting it to be lower but who knows at this point. I want the car but I'm not going to give GM my money like that. At that point, I'd rather get a 2013 and still be around 50k

If they are aiming for 30k and are saying its 'attainable' then I have to guess it'll start around $49k with a very base and naked coupe.

And I would assume, that I'm not the only one on this boat......
I just cannot believe some of the stuff I read...people think that all this new tech/upgrades/interior gets added and that it should be the same or lower cost. If GM pulls that one off, I will be amazed and will immediately go shopping my C6 to someone.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Badluck33
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I just cannot believe some of the stuff I read...people think that all this new tech/upgrades/interior gets added and that it should be the same or lower cost. If GM pulls that one off, I will be amazed and will immediately go shopping my C6 to someone.
I'm still holding on to Tadge Juechter slipping in Atlanta that it would start at $49k

if its not, oh well.

but I do believe he did say it back in December in Atlanta.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Badluck33
I'm still holding on to Tadge Juechter slipping in Atlanta that it would start at $49k

if its not, oh well.

but I do believe he did say it back in December in Atlanta.
that would be great; even if only for 2014 ... that would still be welcomed.

Quick Reply: 30,000 Units