Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Default Can Some One Answer This

First let’s get one think clear I am not a HATER of the C7. I may not be totally in love with it yet as I have only seen the pictures and videos and read all the hype the GM wants to tell us. I will wait for real test date and seeing it in real life up close and personal.

Now here is my question, GM has said that the new corvette is to attract a new buyers market. If that is so, why is this now a Stingray as in the 61 years of Corvette there were only 13 years of the Sting Ray/Stingray. The last year a Stingray was produced was 1976. That means the new target buyers were not even born yet or were still in dippers. Next why revert to an LT1, again old school. Why not either a complete new nomenclature or simply LS4? Were these two items for us old timers that were actually driving Sting Ray/Stingray in the 60's and 70's and had the original LT1?

OK flame suit on for all those that don't want to see or read anything that has a negative condemnation of the new C7.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Here's my take on it. The Stingray moniker has been used to denote a revolutionary vehicle in the Corvette heirarchy. The Bill Mitchell Stingray and the mid-year Stingrays and C3 Sting Rays were significant departures from the norm of their day and within the Corvette ranks. I believe that they elected to resurrect the Stingray name to signify a significant change from what was as part of the new model introduction.

Much like the Z06, ZR1 and Grand Sport were all inteneded to denote the performance aspects of the vehicle while paying homage to their namesakes from past generations, I think the same is intended for the 2014 Stingray.

I actually think it has little to do with the demographic or to the past owners and much, much more to do with change to the marque with the model.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The name "Stingray" or "Sting Ray" has a certain inherent cache that appeals to all ages. Regarding the technical nomenclature for the engine, who gives a flying............?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM likes to recycle RPO codes and monikers, always has....I have no problem with it and fall right into that 30 something age group...
Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM
hey32g
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Page 44 of the March 2013 Corvette Magazine explains the way GM decides on engine names (probably more information than you would want). I don't have time to regurgitate what they say, but it's really a pretty practical approach to naming engines and there doesn't seem to be a lot of marketing input. Seems to be dominated by more of a parts inventory system.

As for Stingray, not so sure. Tradition I would guess. And that name seems to be for what they feel are "special" cars that they feel are a major step forward.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM
drivestwin
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the disappointment that they recycled the LT1 name. Same with the LS6, LS7 and probably more....

Now if someone says their car has an LS7, you have to stop and ask from the early 70's or the 2000's. LT1 is the same deal even though it is a much different engine that we all know has no parts in common. Just wish they'd use a something different for new stuff rather than recycle.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Now here is my question, GM has said that the new corvette is to attract a new buyers market. If that is so, why is this now a Stingray as in the 61 years of Corvette there were only 13 years of the Sting Ray/Stingray.
My guess is that marketing foresaw that the C7 design might alienate many of the long term (older) Corvette enthusiasts. So as a head-game, they threw the Stingray text in with the C7 - hoping it would fool some of the older types.

I'm old; and have owned 4 Corevettes that bore the Stingray - Sting Ray name. And the inclusion of the name on the C7 did nothing for me.

My initial thoughts to learning the Stingray verbage was going to be on the C7 was... "damage control"
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM
granracing
Cruising

I'm in my later 30s and of course know of the previous Stingray Vettes, but don't have the close ties that some of an older generation might. So to me, it brings some herritage into things, I think of something sleek, and it is just pretty damn cool.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 717 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by granracing
I'm in my later 30s and of course know of the previous Stingray Vettes, but don't have the close ties that some of an older generation might. So to me, it brings some herritage into things, I think of something sleek, and it is just pretty damn cool.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Dale427
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I were to make an educated guess, as a professional marketer, I would guess someone at GM held a focus group of prospective "younger buyers" and found that the name "Stingray" was considered hip and cool to young buyers and still held a lot of "brand equity."
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts

The young dude in my office (37) thinks all the stingray stuff is awesome, and "pops". heh
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by granracing

yes, agree
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I like that they brought back StingRay.

Heritage has played a role in vette generations for some time now. As it should. It's got overall, a pretty good history/heritage.

Get notified of new replies

To Can Some One Answer This

Quick Reply: Can Some One Answer This