C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret swapping to comp sport seats?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Default Anyone regret swapping to comp sport seats?

Instructed at VIR weekend before last with NASA Mid-Atlantic, first time on track with the new-to-me C7. Have been doing trackdays 16 years, racing and instructing for 7. Sold my C5 ST2 racecar in 2015, bought this C7 Z51 11/2017 as a streetable trackday car. Car needs a little more seat and I don't want to do a race seat as I'm driving the car to and from the track. The stock touring seats are a million times better than any C5/6 seat, but they're not race seats. That said, I love the blend of comfort and support they give. I will be doing 4-6 track weekends a year and drive the car as much as I can on the street. I am considering doing the comp sport upper halves, but worried I will regret it for commuting and road trips.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 04-03-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

Initially the comp seats was the one option I regretted not having on my car. After doing the Ron Fellows school (all their cars have comp seats) I learned that they really didn't give much of an extra benefit on track. Also as a result of that I had no extra problem getting in and out and think they would be fine for every day driving if you did have them. I was going to do the conversion but being 6'2" the harness holes are too low so I decided to punt on the idea for now.

The best thing I found was if you pull the seat belt all the way out it will ratchet back in and you can get is super tight. That really helped a lot but I still end up with sore and bruised legs.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:13 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I'm 6'4" so the harness holes are useless for me as well. I know and use the OEM belt ratchet trick... works great! My left knee got very sore... going to wear a foam slip-on pad next time out.

I'm considering another custom-fit Ultrashield seat and just dealing with it for the drive to and from the track. This would be an easier decision if I were still trailering.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:46 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Ttt
Old 04-04-2018, 03:19 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Love the seat plus just not for the looks of them. I really don't know are can say which one I like better the look are the feel of them & how they hold a person into the seat. Robert
Old 04-04-2018, 03:39 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 220 Posts

I've not had any issues with mine but then again I'm not as big as you are. I did however just spend 2 days in the Spring Mountain Corvette Owners School program and did well in them. There were a few times where the plastic harness holes of the competition seats made contact with my shoulder blades but only during the spirited track session(s).

This may not apply to you but I have other cars for comfort and/or long road trips. With that said, prior to Spring Mountain and even after Spring Mountain, I have always thought my competition seats were comfortable. I, for one, agree with Robert's implication above, that the competition seats do look bad ***, and I like how they hold me in the seat.

After having attended the COS Program at Spring Mountain, I don't think the touring seats would have allowed me to do what was required in that program. Even though I may never track my car, I still prefer to have the competition seats as I do occasionally enjoy a spirited drive every now and then. The security and hold of the competition seats simply can't be obtain via the touring seats. IMO.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Jan_N
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Comp seats

I agree that you will only get real advantage of the comp seats back if you go with a harnass. I’m 6 foot and the Schroth 4 point ASM work great with the Shark bar. You might want to measure again if these won’t work for you. I think you can have a 20 degree angle going back but more importantly at high impact the ASM will release and you will move forward on the inside. My guess is that at the same time prevent the compression of the vertebra. You might ask Schroth that.

Good luck I had the same issue, daily driver that you do not want a race seat in.
The following users liked this post:
Pineapple (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 01:36 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan_N
I agree that you will only get real advantage of the comp seats back if you go with a harnass.
I disagree. Even without a harness, the competition seats give you a LOT more "hold" and "security" than the touring seats. Just last week I was at Spring Mountain Corvette Owners School where we spent a fair amount of time on the East race track, and made 2 applicable observations:
  1. each and every one of the Spring Mountain Corvette Owners School cars had the competition seats
  2. none of the instructors (that pushed the cars much harder than the students) used a harness.
Please keep in mind that I'm not saying there is no benefit of a harness. Clearly, there is. I'm simply saying that the competition seats afford one a great deal more support and security, and absolutely do provide a real advantage over the touring seats, even without a harness.

Last edited by CADbrian; 04-06-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone regret swapping to comp sport seats?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone regret swapping to comp sport seats?