Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
eehh, I won't finance a car period...cash only. Some think it's crazy but it's fine by me. Also, everyone is not struggling in this economy. But, there are those who live above their means and there are those who don't.
Last year I wanted to get a new 2012. They offered 0% for 60 months nearly all year. I've not looked lately, but it might still be on. Then there's GM card savings and dealer discounts, sales incentives, adding all those things together, financing was almost a no brainer. Now, I still decided afterward I didn't want to do it. But, I was very near to financing my first vehicle since 1989.

I do without lots of stuff, in spite of the fact that I don't have to. I have no TV service at home (antenna for over air only), no cell phone, basically no monthly bills. After a few years, that sort of thing adds up. When I consider that I was looking at a brand new Vette with payments for 5 years under $500/month, and not getting rid of a vehicle in trade, well, those times without a cell phone don't seem so bad anymore.

If people thought a little more about what they need vs what they want, they'd find they would want for a lot less, cause they'd have a lot more.

This car can be for the regular Joe, but probably would not be for the 'average' Joe, since the 'average' guy is up to their eyeballs in debt.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 01-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM
granracing
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The haters hate the Camaro like tail lights but I want to see it in person.
They really don't look the same. The head of the exterior design explained the rear end to us a bit starting with the fact they tried using round tail lights, but it made it look like pokadots. They also incorporated LED lights, so wanted to show something was different and new with it. Then the vents on the side of the lights that actually serve a real purpose, influenced the design.

He also told us to not forget that the Camaro lights were an influence from the Vette, and that they do share some lineage so it's not a horrible thing. In the end though, they look different than the Camaro lights. I think anything other than round lights would have received criticism.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by J18369
Young people can afford a Corvette if they make the correct decisions in life and stay out of debt. It may mean avoiding some recreational activities like going to bars on Friday night, but it's no problem. On the bright side, I was only paying $100 a month for insurance as well.
Good point. I bought my BRAND NEW loaded Firebird Trans Am at the ripe old age of 21. It's a matter of having goals and being frugal. When you are young, you often don't have all the financial obligations that come later in life.

Michael
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by falco84
These threads never end well...lecturing from the prudent financial advisors and pricing speculation from armchair marketing gurus.

I hope we revisit all these asinine price speculation posts when pricing is released. $75-80k for an optioned coupe? So like $90k for a vert? LULZ.
Have you recently priced out the MSRP of an optioned Grand Sport Coupe?

You're talking 70k for a 4LT with magnetic selective ride and NPP...closer to 75 if you get some little things like 60th anniversary or heritage package, Auto trans, etc..

I would imagine the C7 will be similar.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:49 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
eehh, I won't finance a car period...cash only. Some think it's crazy but it's fine by me. Also, everyone is not struggling in this economy. But, there are those who live above their means and there are those who don't.
I only finance a car if I can get 0%....I'd rather let my money work for me than for them.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I noticed he didn't include high schoolers, or 20-30-40 year olds making $12-$15/hour, or 50 year olds with two kids in college and two in public school and a hefty alimony payment each month, even though they make $150K as the target market for the C7.

But he did include me. An old fart and one of "......those with three to five 'Vettes of various vintages, are key buyers for them as well."

Maybe I do count in the grand scheme. Now if they would only design the C7 that I like, not what a high schooler likes.
One of the few places...

Otherwise, after age 54, you're pretty much out of any demographic target group. (well, except maybe AARP...)
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Surf Island
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69
Jay Leno, the ultimate car guy "gets it"..!

Speaking about his 2002 c5 z06

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/c...tml#item=66583

[/I]Over the years, Corvette has worked hard to earn its reputation as the working man's supercar.[/I]
I remember a video from Jay. There were nice used vettes that most anyone could afford.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
One of the few places...

Otherwise, after age 54, you're pretty much out of any demographic target group. (well, except maybe AARP...)
How old are you and how many Corvettes do you own?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I only finance a car if I can get 0%....I'd rather let my money work for me than for them.
invest in mazda it will work even better.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Invest in old Corvettes. You can have some fun and still make money. An L 88 would be fun. LOL...
Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
DonsLS1
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I'm an average guy, and I resent the fact that they don't want it to be the car of the average guy. They seem to forget that it's "the average guy" who has always bought there cars and trucks. Chevrolet has always been known as a working mans car. If that's how they feel about us average guys, then let Obama buy there corvettes! They sure as hell had no problems taking the average guys tax dollar to bail them out! As far as I'm concerned, they can stick the C7 where the sun don't shine!

Sincerely,
The average guy
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,070 Likes on 593 Posts

Problem now is the average Joe probably is on unemployment.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
How old are you and how many Corvettes do you own?
LOL...(not sure how to take your question)

61 and you see my only car in my avatar.

My comment wasn't intended to be personal.

Too often I see a reference in the commercial world that indicates its prime target excludes my age group and I find that I'm rarely considered when advertising something, creating something, new movies/TV shows, and etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DonsLS1
Well, I'm an average guy, and I resent the fact that they don't want it to be the car of the average guy. They seem to forget that it's "the average guy" who has always bought there cars and trucks. Chevrolet has always been known as a working mans car. If that's how they feel about us average guys, then let Obama buy there corvettes! They sure as hell had no problems taking the average guys tax dollar to bail them out! As far as I'm concerned, they can stick the C7 where the sun don't shine!

Sincerely,
The average guy
Oooo, OUCH ! Nice left jab!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it DonsLS1. It's all friggin' smoke and mirrors and anyone who believes the print they read is in fantasy land! These so called journalists have nothing better to do than to give their own convoluted opinion just to write an article!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are sooo many reasons this article completely misses the mark. The author needs to do his homework.

As has been pointed out, GM has confirmed that the price is not going up much.

Plus, how stupid of a strategy is it to try to change a car's image by making it more expensive??? This is a car. Not a liquor or wine. (Not that it's a good idea to do that with liquor, either, but it seems to work.)

Finally, the affordability of the Corvette is exactly what makes it so successful to begin with.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
No way. That is what a gut loaded GS convertible list for now with 4LT. You are $10,000 too high. Too take it a step further, that gut loaded GS convertible has had $10,000 discounts on it for the past few years and Corvette sales are still in the toilet.

If for some chance you turn out to be right, I'd be looking for a new job if I worked in Bowling Green. Corvette would never survive at that sort of pricing. GM knows better.
Agreed. You guys predicting $70K+ price tags are outta your damn minds... Not gonna happen.

Get notified of new replies

To USA Today 2014 Corvette not for average Joe

Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM
tdp1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What a dumb a$$. This reporter knows nothing about Corvette owners. I'm pretty sure he doesn't own one.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Double_j01
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
There are sooo many reasons this article completely misses the mark. The author needs to do his homework.

As has been pointed out, GM has confirmed that the price is not going up much.

Plus, how stupid of a strategy is it to try to change a car's image by making it more expensive??? This is a car. Not a liquor or wine. (Not that it's a good idea to do that with liquor, either, but it seems to work.)

Finally, the affordability of the Corvette is exactly what makes it so successful to begin with.
Using price to set image is as old as marketing itself. Higher prices = more exclusive = more desireable no matter what the product.

Most luxury brands are very careful about managing the street prices of their goods so as not to dilute the overall brand image via excessive discounting at retail (Rolex is especially good at this).

And before you dismiss the benefit of a luxury image as marketing fluff, consider that luxury goods and other 'aspirational' products generally carry much higher profit margins than more commoditized (i.e., price-based) product propositions. If you can increase average selling price by 10% and only lose 5% of your volume when doing it, you're making out ahead on the deal. Not to mention the fact that luxury products tend to be less sensitive to economic swings and have consumers that tend to be less sensitive to annual price increases, etc.

That said, I don't think Chevy is automatically going to jack up the price. I think it's going to start including some touches of high end on the car without really raising prices in order to elevate the overall Corvette image with the public. Once they have the image fixed, then they'll start to increase prices at a faster than normal rate (kind of like Nissan did with the GTR - remember when it was launched as the supercar for the everyman? Now it's impossible to get one for less than six figures). I guess that we'll see pricing really start going up when the C8 is introduced.

This does imply that the C7 could be the best Corvette value ever! We'll be getting new generation quality for last generation pricing!

Last edited by Double_j01; 01-22-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
no schnit Sherlock !!!

it never has been. That headline is about as asinine as when Time magazine announced thet "Men and Women are Different"
I think they meant for the average Joe to aspire to.

Price aside, the question for me is "is this really a distinctive, good looking car?". Or, does it look like a something that is trying too hard - maybe like a japanese brand copying an Italian brand? I won't know until I see one in person. I think it's possible that it will only appeal to a younger crowd that won't buy it because of the price and the 2 seats, and the older guys might start looking harder at a 911. Time will tell.

It's all a matter of taste, of course. I am still optimistic, and looking forward to seeing one in person.