Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Default The MICHELIN Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer tire technical info

Michelin, the world’s leading tire manufacturer, marks a milestone at the 2013 North American International Auto Show with the announcement that, for the first time, MICHELIN® tires are the exclusive original equipment tire on the complete line-up of 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray models.

All 2014 Corvette Stingrays will come equipped with the MICHELIN® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP tire, an ultra-high performance tire that was co-developed by Michelin and Corvette through a relationship that began on the racetracks of the American Le Mans Series.

Being selected as the fitment on the 2014 Corvette Stingray marks a significant achievement for Michelin after the tire giant also gained tire fitments for the 2009 Corvette ZR1 and 2011 Corvette Z06.

“The MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport ZP tire exemplifies Michelin’s commitment to innovation and our aim to deliver the best possible performances in every tire we make,” said John Moloney, vice president of original equipment marketing at Michelin North America. “The proof is in the performance; owners of the 2014 Corvette Stingray will enjoy a tire that is tuned specifically for their vehicle and delivers the road-handling, grip, cornering ability and progressivity of drive they expect.”

Michelin earned the opportunity to outfit the 2014 Corvette Stingray and then worked closely with the Corvette vehicle development team to design and engineer a tire that matches the vehicle performance. During the vehicle development process, Michelin performed more than 12,000 hours in tire design using state-of-the-art computer tire modeling and completing thousands of miles of subjective test driving. Harnessing its full arsenal of experience and technology, the company developed two MICHELIN Pilot® Super Sport® ZP tires unique to the Corvette Stingray, one for the standard car and another for the Corvette Stingray with Z51 Performance Package.

The MICHELIN Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer tire technical advancements include:
•Michelin’s most innovative ultra-high performance technology, including advances in the tread compound adapted for improved levels of both dry and wet grip.
•Footprint shape designed by sophisticated computer modeling and analytic tools traditionally used to predict the stresses occurring in racing tires. This is the first time these tools have been used to achieve higher performance in a street tire.
•A new, advanced Aramid cap ply specially tuned for optimum contact patch control for high speed and high performance tire handling and wear life.
•A new specially adapted internal rubber compound to reduce rolling resistance and maximize overall vehicle fuel economy without compromising other performances.
•Asymmetric run-flat inserts and carcass configuration are designed to broaden and emphasize a range of tire performances by focusing distinct functions to the appropriate sidewall.

“When given the opportunity to develop a tire for the breakthrough next-generation Corvette, we knew we had to bring the best technology Michelin had to offer,” said Lee Willard, lead Michelin technical engineer for the Corvette project. “The MICHELIN Pilot® Super Sport® ZP tire represents a significant advancement in what is possible for an ultra-high performance tire."

The MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport ZP tire for the Corvette Stingray with Z51 Performance Package is different from the tire found on the Corvette Stingray. Because the Z51 Performance Package takes the Corvette Stingray to a more aggressive level of performance, Michelin was tasked with designing a version of the MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport ZP tire to Corvette’s specifications.

The MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport ZP tire delivered as original equipment for the Z51 Performance Package is aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling and grip and road-holding capability. The design was derived from a combination of technologies found on the MICHELIN Pilot® Sport Cup ZP tire that helped the 2012 Corvette ZR1 post a 7:19.6 Nürburgring lap time and from the significant gains from the development of the MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport tire.

The MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport ZP tire also features the next-generation of racetrack-born tread compounds found in the record-setting Pilot Sport Cup ZP of the C6 ZR1 and Z06. Unlike the MICHELIN tire fitted to the standard 2014 Corvette Stingray, the Z51 tire features a custom dual-tread compound and pattern that achieves near-racing-slick grip and handling levels, while providing longer tread life and wet handling capabilities.

Like the tires found on the standard Corvette Stingray, advanced computer-modeling techniques used to design American Le Mans Series racing slicks were applied to the Z51 Performance Package tires. The process resulted in tire structure and contact patches optimized specifically for racetrack-critical tire performances.

The tire sizes for the 2014 Corvette models are:

P245/40ZR18 (93Y) SL Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP
P285/35ZR19 (99Y) SL Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP

2014 Chevrolet Corvette with Z51 Performance Package
P245/35ZR19 (89Y) SL Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP
P285/30ZR20 (95Y) SL Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP

The MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport ZP tires are manufactured in Greenville, S.C., in state-of-the-art facilities specifically designed for high-performance, high-intensity tires.

I was told today, that all Corvettes from the factory will also have the Michelin Promise Plan. I am not sure of the mileage warranty yet, but the back tires will most likely be good for 1/2 of the fonts
More details;

http://www.michelinman.com/automotiv.../warranty.page
Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of buzz words that translate to skinnier tires with go-bald-fast wear characteristics.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

That is awesome news for future C7 owners
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by NevadaVette
Lots of buzz words that translate to skinnier tires with go-bald-fast wear characteristics.
The tires are the same width as the C6.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

These tires are BY FAR the biggest improvement for the Corvette. My e39 M5 has been wearing these Super Sports for over a year now, and they are simply amazing. Superlative grip, in dry and wet, with a tread life warranty of 20K miles. These, along with the brembos, will make this car FINALLY a world class sports car.

Anyone discounting the effect these tires will have on the handling characteristics of this car simply doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 AM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Au contraire:

Same wide width as C6

Free flat service for 3 years

Guaranteed 30K miles

Best gripping and riding tires in the world.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
These tires are BY FAR the biggest improvement for the Corvette. My e39 M5 has been wearing these Super Sports for over a year now, and they are simply amazing. Superlative grip, in dry and wet, with a tread life warranty of 20K miles. These, along with the brembos, will make this car FINALLY a world class sports car.

Anyone discounting the effect these tires will have on the handling characteristics of this car simply doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

I have a set on my Daily Driver and they deliver pretty stunning grip and excellent wear characteristics.

The Super Sports are significantly better than the GYs and will play a big role in the performance improvements we'll see this generation.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lottavettes
Au contraire:

Same wide width as C6

Guaranteed 30K miles

Best gripping and riding tires in the world.

Au contraire:

That's French for I'm going to tell you some lies.

Same wide width as C6

The 19"/20" combo is MUCH narrower than the 19"/20" combo presently available on the C6, both front and rear.

In regard to the 18"/19" combo, tire manufacturers routinely take great liberty with specifications. Stand behind a C6 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires in those 18"/19" C6 sizes and you will see a visibly narrower tire than the OEM C6 tire. Don't be surprised if another version of the kinked tire numbers routine apply to the new C7 tires.

Read the fine print. There has never been any such service offered on OEM tires.

Guaranteed 30K miles

Read the fine print. There has never been any such mileage guarantee on full tire sets mounted on cars that do not allow for tire rotation, like a Covette.

The story is also warning you that the new Z51 tires are based upon the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup ZP tire, which is tire-speak for we-are-going to-sell-you-some-tires-that-go-bald-faster-than-the-Goodyear-Supercar-tires-that-you-used-to-get-stuck-with-on-a-street-car.

Best gripping and riding tires in the world

It sounds like Michelin is paying you to regurgitate a story with no personal basis for your opinion. A commercial version of the tires referred to in the article are not available to consumers anywhere in the world.

The only thing known for sure is that once you publish that tripe on the CF there will be 100 more idiots repeating the same stories that you are.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

+3. Michelin tires will be the single biggest improvement in the Corvette's performance, ride, and treadwear.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

I have the non-run flat version of this tire and its without a doubt the best tire on the market! best upgrade you can make with dramatic difference in performance! quieter, stickier and better wearing characteristics then its competitors.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Au contraire:

That's French for I'm going to tell you some lies.

The only thing known for sure is that once you publish that tripe on the CF there will be 100 more idiots repeating the same stories that you are.
You seem pretty worked up about this. Good news: the base tire sizes are the same as the C6, so you can run out and buy yourself a set of the GY F1s SCs as soon as you get the car and ditch those crappy ole Michelins, which I'll be happy to take off your hands.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Blizzerk
Advanced

Any news for GS owners & size availability? PSS ZP.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL "Technical information" now means TV-shop promo talk
Old 05-05-2013, 02:54 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

GM should have dumped the Good years a decade ago.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 AM
glhs386
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 19"/20" combo is MUCH narrower than the 19"/20" combo presently available on the C6, both front and rear.
Yeah, on the widebody. Narf.
The story is also warning you that the new Z51 tires are based upon the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup ZP tire, which is tire-speak for we-are-going to-sell-you-some-tires-that-go-bald-faster-than-the-Goodyear-Supercar-tires-that-you-used-to-get-stuck-with-on-a-street-car.
The Super Sports are not "based on" the Sport Cup, they share technologies. The Super Sports have a 300 treadwear rating compared to 220 on the G2. The Sport Cups are 80. You really haven't a damn clue what you're talking about.

Man, I've never seen someone so passionate about their crap Goodyears.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Sounds like a great tire....

Amazing that there are arguments about every aspect of the c7 here..

At least we can all agree these tires are black and round.....

100 idiots holly crap...
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
+3. Michelin tires will be the single biggest improvement in the Corvette's performance, ride, and treadwear.

Yes they are a real improvement but suggesting they are the single biggest improvement in performance and ride is simply you trying to minimize the car... again... to suit your agenda. 4 to 5 seconds faster at VIR with the PSS being suggested to account for 1 second of that. Also, tires do make a significant impact on ride quality but suspension tuning has a bigger impact.

I have had PSS on my last two cars and, yes, they improved grip and ride quality in both cases over the OEM tires but it didn't transform the car or make the car significantly better than it inherently was.

Last edited by gthal; 05-05-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To The MICHELIN Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer tire technical info

Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Very good experience with Michelin SuperSports.
I took crappy run flats of my wife's BMW just to put them back on when the lease expires at about 36k miles. The car (bmw535) has 17 k miles now and the tires look like they will make it to 36k miles, but probably replace around 30k.

I've also driven them on my car at Sebring and they are a great track tire that lasts extremely well on track, maybe a few seconds slower than R compound but for the occasional track day, they are prefect and you won't kill them.

Another impressive move on GM's part with the C7. Michelin ain't cheap!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Keep the comments coming..............I don't have any more detailed tech info...........yet, but once I do I will post it up just like the PSSs.
Hope to floggggggg these very soon on the track & regular road use
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM
CorvetteJimZ06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
These tires are BY FAR the biggest improvement for the Corvette. My e39 M5 has been wearing these Super Sports for over a year now, and they are simply amazing. Superlative grip, in dry and wet, with a tread life warranty of 20K miles. These, along with the brembos, will make this car FINALLY a world class sports car. Anyone discounting the effect these tires will have on the handling characteristics of this car simply doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.
My daily driver for many years is also an E39 M5 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and it is BY FAR the best tire I've ever driven on. It's a superior tire for traction, ride, noise, and in the rain. I like them so much, I'm on my second set of them. They are very similar to the PS2s, but wear much better! I just wish they made them in a size that would fit the stock wheel on my 2004 Z06.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CorvetteJimZ06; 05-05-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added pic

Quick Reply: The MICHELIN Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer tire technical info