Sponsored by:

Sport seats really more sporty????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 AM
VinceJB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raitzi
It just seems they are more because of style and not because of function.
Too bad they should have improved on that. Maybe they have a place to bolt that rear bar. I have not seen the car yet but I will track day my C7 so I will be buying a bar and a sparco harness. Take it off when I am not at the track.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
I just studied the seat pics a little more closely and I swear the "base" seats look like they have more lateral support than the sport seats. Actually, I'm talking about the seat backs. The seat bottoms look identical.

After all the crap that has been said about the C6 seats (and lack of support) this seems very odd to me. Take a look at this picture below and tell me I'm nuts!

It really depends on how you are going to use the car. The regular seat is apparently much more comfortable, especially if you are going to do distance driving. If you like spending track time, and like a more racing type seat, then the other is for you I think. I think I would choose the one on the left for more comfort at this stage of my life.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhang
It really depends on how you are going to use the car. The regular seat is apparently much more comfortable, especially if you are going to do distance driving. If you like spending track time, and like a more racing type seat, then the other is for you I think. I think I would choose the one on the left for more comfort at this stage of my life.
Okay, nobody has convinced me that the sport seat is going to have more lateral support. As to a harness, very few (like almost none) folks are going to put in a racing harness with the factory seats anyway. Most harnesses are going to be used in a car has a roll cage and is a dedicated race car. Yes - I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise, but I really don't think that is what all the magazines have been beating the Corvette seats up for over the past umpteen years.

I think the optional seats are being offered for exactly one reason - to make more money for GM, not to offer better support during spirited driving. I'm just not seeing it. That is not a knock as I hope both seats are going to be great seats. I just could help but notice that I don't think one seat is going to be better than the other. I think many folks are going to buy the optional seats just to impress folks that they are drivers and not waxers.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, nobody has convinced me that the sport seat is going to have more lateral support. As to a harness, very few (like almost none) folks are going to put in a racing harness with the factory seats anyway. Most harnesses are going to be used in a car has a roll cage and is a dedicated race car. Yes - I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise, but I really don't think that is what all the magazines have been beating the Corvette seats up for over the past umpteen years.

I think the optional seats are being offered for exactly one reason - to make more money for GM, not to offer better support during spirited driving. I'm just not seeing it. That is not a knock as I hope both seats are going to be great seats. I just could help but notice that I don't think one seat is going to be better than the other. I think many folks are going to buy the optional seats just to impress folks that they are drivers and not waxers.
Dude...the 'competition' seat has carbon fiber accents!!! It MUST be the better racing seat!!

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-21-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceJB
So the competition seats are harness friendly obviously. BUT I wonder if there is a cross bar to bolt them down to? That is the correct way to mount a racing harness it needs to be bolted in the rear at shoulder level not to the bottom of the seats.
Keeks suggested they bolt to the frame crossmember that sits right behind the seats and is that raised surface in the front of the cargo area.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Boil
Instructor

I think, in regards to the Competition Seat, it will come down to two things:

1 - Does it actually provide increased lateral support?
2 - Cost; of which there are two factors.

To the cost factors; if I get the Competition Seat, am I getting a delete credit for the original seating? If so, is the cost of the Competition Seat (factoring in a possible delete credit) comparable to third-party offerings?

Also, first to market with a decent set of rails that gets a standard C7 seat onto a C6 floorpan is gonna make some money?

Finally, can I get the Jet Black Competition Seat with Dark Grey Suede Inserts?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I mentioned that yesterday but just got 1 response.

I thought it came STANDARD in the Z51 package but its an option.
GM should give it as a no cost option since its using the same seat frame.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Here is again what would be close to a perfect competition seat:

These seat are very close to Porsche sport bucket seats which are described to be one of the best seats available in sport cars(GT2,GT3 Cayman R...)
Real Porsche seats cost many thousands of Euros as option. The one in the picture is 400€ and also made from carbon fibre.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Dude...the 'competition' seat has carbon fiber accents!!! It MUST be the better racing seat!!
Dang, how did I miss such an obvious explanation

Thanks for setting me straight
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Dang, how did I miss such an obvious explanation

Thanks for setting me straight
Seriously, I am looking forward to what the 'press' (or whatever independent testers are going to report) has to say about these seats. I'd be a little surprised if they were as similar as they seem. I'd guess the racing seat is a lot more of a stiff frame. The bolsters may be stiffer also. Part of what we may not be seeing is the type of foam/support structure being utilized vs the 'base' seat.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Seriously, I am looking forward to what the 'press' (or whatever independent testers are going to report) has to say about these seats. I'd be a little surprised if they were as similar as they seem. I'd guess the racing seat is a lot more of a stiff frame. The bolsters may be stiffer also. Part of what we may not be seeing is the type of foam/support structure being utilized vs the 'base' seat.
Mark my words, the magazines will never test the base seats. Every car GM sends them will have Z51 and Sport Seats.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Boil
Instructor

So, I get Competition Seats, for the express purpose of using a racing harness; 4 or 5 point; does the Comp Seat have a fitting to secure the submarine strap; or is there provision for this on the floorpan…? For that matter, back to the shoulder strap anchors, where? If the base car is supposed to be track-ready (hey, it has a Track setting) where are the 5-point harness mountings…?

But I digress; back to racing harnesses… What do I see in the photo there? An ugly shoulder belt retaining bracket…! Which means HOLES in my leather once removed…! Really, GM…? REALLY…?!?

Hopefully whatever holds that bracket on will go right back into & fill said holes, WITHOUT sticking out any extra, since the bracket is removed…

Or, ANOTHER market for the aftermarket…! A SWEET carbon fiber plate to both cover the HOLES and fill the gap left by the removed bracket…

Last edited by Boil; 01-21-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I said the same thing in another thread. They SEEM far too similar.

I'm hoping the actual construction is different. If they offer more lateral support I'll be getting them hoping the cost is under 1500. If they simply "look" sportier I'll pass.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll take the better looking more comfortable seat on the left. I'll need it after i eat that big steak and hop in the Vette to cruise around and do my part to contribute to global warming.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Mark my words, the magazines will never test the base seats. Every car GM sends them will have Z51 and Sport Seats.
Well, they better be good after all the years of bitching by the press...
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

What we can't see is the foam they're using in the base seat vs the competition seat. If all they do is use much higher-density foam in the lateral bolsters on the competition seat it will feel tighter.

I still worry that the bolsters are splayed wide compared to aftermarket seats.

.Jinx
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The seats look to be an improvement but my question is will they still rock on their tracks???

Get notified of new replies

To Sport seats really more sporty????

Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Boil
Instructor

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
…hoping the cost is under 1500.
This is the part that gets me; if I get different seats from the factory, do i get any credit for the seats I am NOT getting…? Or does GM expect me to PAY for both seats of seats, but only actually GIVE me the one set…?!?

If I order a set of Competition Seats BY THEMSELVES (if even possible), are they MORE expensive than if ordered as a factory change? If so that would indicate we are getting some form of 'delete credit' for ordering Comp Seats as a factory option…

And if we DO get a delete credit, should it not be even higher if we are ordering the 3LT Trim package, as that package has upgraded seats already…!?!

Not a cheap bastard, just don't want to pay for something I am not getting; otherwise send the original seats on & I will have them made into office chairs…!

Also, can anyone answer whether or not I can have Suede Inserts in the Comp Seats…?

[charliebrown] AGGHHH…!!! [/charliebrown]
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 AM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boil
This is the part that gets me; if I get different seats from the factory, do i get any credit for the seats I am NOT getting…? Or does GM expect me to PAY for both seats of seats, but only actually GIVE me the one set…?!?

If I order a set of Competition Seats BY THEMSELVES (if even possible), are they MORE expensive than if ordered as a factory change? If so that would indicate we are getting some form of 'delete credit' for ordering Comp Seats as a factory option…

And if we DO get a delete credit, should it not be even higher if we are ordering the 3LT Trim package, as that package has upgraded seats already…!?!

Not a cheap bastard, just don't want to pay for something I am not getting; otherwise send the original seats on & I will have them made into office chairs…!

Also, can anyone answer whether or not I can have Suede Inserts in the Comp Seats…?

[charliebrown] AGGHHH…!!! [/charliebrown]

That's why I mentioned it should be a no cost option they are using the same magnesium seat frame.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Raitzi
It just seems they are more because of style and not because of function.
sure looks that way.

Quick Reply: Sport seats really more sporty????