Sponsored by:

So Here is what I hear.. 6.2L V8 Only A Stop Gap Engine For C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 AM
barry1me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADLS3
Is this your opinion, or do you have some proof?
I have proof but I cant say anymore Lips sealed

This is NO BS aunts cousins grandmas best freind new someone who worked on the cutlass assembly line in the 80s.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barry1me
This is a stupid thread.....close it as its not true. LT1 and LT4 are here to stay for entire program life.....all the way out till Callender year 2019.

[/Close thread]
READ ABOVE

no more wasted oxygen debating about some other engine in the vette.....the above motors are what you are going to get for the C7
I have proof but I cant say anymore Lips sealed

This is NO BS aunts cousins grandmas best freind new someone who worked on the cutlass assembly line in the 80s.
Your lips are sealed huh?

Remind me to never tell you a secret.

I call BS
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 AM
barry1me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your lips are sealed huh?

Remind me to never tell you a secret.

I call BS
lol I work in the industry and have to know HP and drivetrains for targets related to emmisions.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Well, my brother's son in law has a second cousin that has a facebook friend that was on business in Detroit, that talked with a guy that was a janitor at GM, who had a conversation with a mailroom kid that was dating a secratary in R&D and...
You need to write a novel. I would buy it.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

http://wot.motortrend.com/next-gen-l...#axzz2IiP73xdK

Displacement is indeed 6.2 liters, not 5.5 liters as rumored, and the RPO number is LT1, a designation well-known to the Corvette faithful. The key enabling feature of the new small block is cylinder deactivation. The Corvette was to be first with that technology, but the layout of the car was unsuited because of the rear transmission and various mounting solutions, it was an NVH nightmare in 4-cylinder mode. Those problems have been overcome now, and the system has been optimized to allow a wide operating range in the 3.1-liter V-4 mode. As it turns out, fuel economy is BETTER with a 6.2-liter engine, because smaller displacements reduce the amount of time the engine can operate in 4-cylinder mode, so bigger displacement saves more fuel. Counterintuitive, but true. Active Fuel Management applied to a performance valvetrain is unique, Chevy says. With its 6600-rpm engine speed fuel cutoff, this is the highest-speed valvetrain with cylinder deactivation. Cylinders 1, 7, 6, and 4 get deactivated.
While about a year ago, there was alot of talk about using the smaller 5.5L engine, this, from MotorTrend makes sense. I believe that while GM looked at many options to obtain power and efficiency targets, that the 6.2 gave the best result in the end, for an N/A motor.

What's on the drawing board for the future? Who knows? But I would think that GM would like to do two things as non negotiable. One, keep the performance level of the base engine competitive, and two, maintain N/A on that base engine. Right now, cylinder deactivation is all the rage in fuel economy, and mpg is an important number.

Now, I could see a supercharged 5.5L in the future, but probably not on the base car. Maybe, if it achieved the near 600HP mark and retained near the fuel economy it could appear in a Hi-Po version? And perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself can correct me, but I would think that AFM would be a nightmare to engineer in a boosted engine?

But again, it would seem that GM wants to keep the base engine N/A for a myriad of reasons, and the 6.2 with AFM is their best solution at the moment.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

GM has said that they looked at a turbo V6 for the Corvette, but for their targeted power and fuel efficiency for the base car that the turbo V6 came up short versus the V8 they developed(LT1).
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Streaming
Look to 2016 to bring the 8 speed Auto tranny with a 5.5L V8 worth some type of blower attached and around 600 ponies. This is from someone I know at GM. I was told that this is why a "boost" gage is already integrated to the configurable dash. The Gen5 6.2 will then reside in Camaro and a Tahoe/Suburban variant SUV. A 6.2 with a blower could also be online for a Z06 type car also.

CORRECTION THAT SHOULD SAY 500+ Ponies MY MISTAKE SORRY.
Guys, it's right in the engineering papers. Lower displacement base engine is not gonna happen for CAFE reasons. AFM regimes were exhaustively tested and it was found that the bigger engines remained in AFM mode longer than smaller displacement, and the 6.2 gave the best result. The bigger engine gets better fuel economy. We have to change how we think about engine displacement vs power and economy.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Guys, it's right in the engineering papers. Lower displacement base engine is not gonna happen for CAFE reasons. AFM regimes were exhaustively tested and it was found that the bigger engines remained in AFM mode longer than smaller displacement, and the 6.2 gave the best result. The bigger engine gets better fuel economy. We have to change how we think about engine displacement vs power and economy.
I'm not buying it. Displacement vs. power is as it always has been, the optimization is dynamic. Depending on thrust needed there is an ideal engine size to obtain optimum efficiency. If bigger is more fuel efficient then why drop to V4 in the first place?

The more likely reason the engines ended up a 6.2L is power, not economy. Think about. How powerful would the 5.5L be? 10% less torque everywhere would net an estimated power output of 405hp. The C7 would then be heavier and less powerful than the outgoing C6. Try to sell that.

I'm sure the racing team would like a 5.5L as would GM to develop at the same time, but powerterrain team failed to meet spec with a 5.5L.

That is way more likely the reason vs. efficiency. AFM works in low load situations right? So if you are cruising with a 2.7L V4 instead of a 3.1L V4 do you really think the torque is not plenty? Still over 200lb/ft! Plenty to maintain speed. Then whenever high load would be needed a smaller 5.5L V8 would come to life, again saving fuel.

Or you can believe the GM marketing that 3.1L is the ideal size... What is more likely? My story or the one you were given?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I'm not buying it. Displacement vs. power is as it always has been, the optimization is dynamic. Depending on thrust needed there is an ideal engine size to obtain optimum efficiency. If bigger is more fuel efficient then why drop to V4 in the first place?

The more likely reason the engines ended up a 6.2L is power, not economy. Think about. How powerful would the 5.5L be? 10% less torque everywhere would net an estimated power output of 405hp. The C7 would then be heavier and less powerful than the outgoing C6. Try to sell that.

I'm sure the racing team would like a 5.5L as would GM to develop at the same time, but powerterrain team failed to meet spec with a 5.5L.

That is way more likely the reason vs. efficiency. AFM works in low load situations right? So if you are cruising with a 2.7L V4 instead of a 3.1L V4 do you really think the torque is not plenty? Still over 200lb/ft! Plenty to maintain speed. Then whenever high load would be needed a smaller 5.5L V8 would come to life, again saving fuel.

Or you can believe the GM marketing that 3.1L is the ideal size... What is more likely? My story or the one you were given?
But the 5.5 would have to come online much more often than the 6.2. That's why the Monte Carlo's 5.3 with AFM didn't make it over to the Fatmaro, because it hardly got to work itself into Fuel Sipping mode too often. The story I got from an owner of one I got was that the 5.3 pretty much everytime he used anything more than bare minimum throttle the AFM would have to bring up all 8 cylinders again. Whether that's a symptom of the engine being smaller than a 6.2 or the AFM system I dunno.

But it seems consistent enough with what the engineers at GM are saying.

We also all know the 6.2 is alot more torquey down stairs than the LS1/LS6 engines are. A 5.5 would have even less down stairs than that.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

No doubt the 5.5 V8 would come online more often but that doesn't mean 6.2L is optimal. How much more often? The Monte Carlo is a heavier car, the 5.3L is smaller than 5.5L and the 5.3L does not have the technology the new LT1 engines have.

And yes, I think it's how the AFM was set up that overwhelmed other variables. I bet the new ones are way more intrusive.

A 5.5L build like the LT1 would also have VVT and therefor the massive amount of torque down below.

GM offered no proof that the 6.2L is more economical. People say "engineering papers", what papers? I don't see no publication ready research. Whenever engineers addressed themselves to us they did so in a PRish setting. Big picture, easy to digest info is all we got. I think it's very likely a smaller V8 is more economical. But knowing what we know about the LT1 output you can bet the "estimated" output on a 5.5L would be around 400hp which is not acceptable.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 01-22-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

It's not that "bigger is more fuel efficient" is that the larger displacement allows for the AFM to kick in and stay in V4 mode longer, thus saving more fuel in low load cruising.

Well, yes power targets had to be met. They were not about to release the C7 with less power than the C6. Now they could have very well engineered a 5.5 to hit the 450+ mark but they would've probably had to do it without AFM. Now that 5.5 may have been a little better than the 6.2 on mpg, when the 6.2 is in full 8 mode. But it would've still fallen short of the desired mpg mark. The 6.2 allowed them to hit both the power and mpg marks, they got their cake and ate it too. Also to mention that to get the 5.5 to hit the power mark, may have compromised durability, driveability of the car.

The major obstacle in AFM is the NVH, I believe in one of the interviews this discussed that they had tested smaller displacement but they could not overcome the noise vibration levels satisfactorily, but the 6.2 provided acceptable results.

I think it just came down to the balancing act of power and mpg, and the 6.2 provided the best solution. I'm sure if they could've made the smaller engine hit both the numbers, relatively easily and smoothly, they would've used it. But time will tell.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
But the 5.5 would have to come online much more often than the 6.2. That's why the Monte Carlo's 5.3 with AFM didn't make it over to the Fatmaro, because it hardly got to work itself into Fuel Sipping mode too often. The story I got from an owner of one I got was that the 5.3 pretty much everytime he used anything more than bare minimum throttle the AFM would have to bring up all 8 cylinders again. Whether that's a symptom of the engine being smaller than a 6.2 or the AFM system I dunno.

But it seems consistent enough with what the engineers at GM are saying.

We also all know the 6.2 is alot more torquey down stairs than the LS1/LS6 engines are. A 5.5 would have even less down stairs than that.
I thought the Camaro's equipped with the 6.2L and auto tranny had AFM? Pretty sure they do.

And the AFM in my 6.0L L76 2007 GMC Sierra was completely worthless. Only time it ever engaged was either while coasting or on the freeway that was level or downhill and under 65 MPH. In fact, one time I set the cruise at 60 mph on a flat freeway and it went into V4 mode...I then turned on the AC and it kicked into V8 mode. Seriously.

I noticed ZERO difference in long-term fuel efficiency after having it disabled.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

I thought the Camaro's equipped with the 6.2L and auto tranny had AFM? Pretty sure they do.

And the AFM in my 6.0L L76 2007 GMC Sierra was completely worthless. Only time it ever engaged was either while coasting or on the freeway that was level or downhill and under 65 MPH. In fact, one time I set the cruise at 60 mph on a flat freeway and it went into V4 mode...I then turned on the AC and it kicked into V8 mode. Seriously.

I noticed ZERO difference in long-term fuel efficiency after having it disabled.
Yeah the Fatmaro has it on the 6.2. I'm guessing they figured they'd try it on the 6.2 to prep for the next vette, rather than try to use it on the 5.3 when the Monte Carlo (which is 300lbs lighter) didn't even get to utilize the tech. They probably (and rightly) figured that the Camaro is so Obese it'd probably never go to 4 cylinder mode with a 5.3.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I think it just came down to the balancing act of power and mpg, and the 6.2 provided the best solution. I'm sure if they could've made the smaller engine hit both the numbers, relatively easily and smoothly, they would've used it. But time will tell.
Totally, it's a system and maximized as such. I like the way things worked out, especially if all the AFM stuff can be deleted. The vibration damping seems to be a pain in the *** with that steel torque tube. I wonder if the engine mounts are softer too. There goes a little throttle feel.

Aftermarket AFM-everything delete and monster cam FTW!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

You want some cheese with that whine?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default I wondered about this the other day!

I don't see any benefit of going down to a 5.5L, the engines will be the same externally. Blower on a base car also makes no sense.
Say having a superchargers vacuum sucking all the time wouldn't work real well with AFM then the smaller 5.5L might end up being necessary. And the 5.5L with less torque might actually be quicker off the line and could be compensated for with more boost anyway.

Gee, I kind of made this calculation 7-years ago!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Get notified of new replies

To So Here is what I hear.. 6.2L V8 Only A Stop Gap Engine For C7

Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

No way a 5.5L V8 supercharged engine will be base. V8 is premium enough for a base car and it keeps the price low. A C7 supercharged will have costs near the C6 ZR1 and look how affordable that one is.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Brock63
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackhall99
You seriously have not been around the Viper too much if you actually think that is a refined car.

And comparing the base Corvette to the Viper is rather naive also.
actually was watching a review on the new Viper and the interior looked very nice to me....more leather and plushness. Now I know the original was ****...but this one looked pretty good. Was that only for television?

I was not comparing the base corvette to the viper...I said they would have to come out with an engine and car to compete with the Viper as it is the only real competition in America I see for a true all around GT Sports car. I was not agreeing that a 5.5L engine was coming...but rather that something making over 600hp was coming and needed.

Maybe you need to concentrate on reading comprehension instead of being judgmental on every posts you disagree or read

Last edited by Brock63; 01-22-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Brock63
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Not sure I get the gist of your statement.

I was referring to Brock63's comparing a 600 HP $100,000 Viper to a 450 HP $55,000 car as he was dissing (I believe) the Corvette as inadequate. My comment was that Corvette has a peer to the Viper in the (take your pick) Z06 or ZR1.

I agree with you that I'll take the base C7 Z51, run close enough to the Viper to be satisfying, if in fact I could not beat it. And contrary to his comment, I would be living in a refined car, which the Viper isn't.
I was not dissing the vette or comparing the base vette....the post is about whether the engine is a stop gap for a newer motor later and the OP surmised a 5.5L super charged possiblity.. I assumed they were talking about a newer engine as maybe for something more ZR1 like and the current C7 engine was just a place holder for bigger and better things...and yes I think they will have to come out with a more powerful motor but never said I agreed with a smaller 5.5L...just they needed to bring more horsepower to compete against Viper in the numbers game..

The Viper...whether a fan or not...and I am not...stepped up their game this year....more leather all around that is sewn and wrapped on everything, steering wheel mounted controls, performance designed seats by Sabelt, launch control, stability control...

My entire intent that you missed is that corvette will need to evolve and continue to improve their offerings if they want to keep up with Viper in sales.....Viper is 600+ horsepower so until a new C7 is released to compete...people will be wanting more. No matter how much you argue power to weight ratios...handling...etc....majority of people only look at horsepower and then maybe torgue and then appearance of vehicle for buying decision.

Last edited by Brock63; 01-22-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: So Here is what I hear.. 6.2L V8 Only A Stop Gap Engine For C7