C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how bad is a C7 going to beat a C6 LS3 in stock performance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 PM
bwfredette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9
So the new LT1 is maxed from the factory? Got it.
Maxed? I never said such and wont BUT...

is the LT1 going to be able to upgrade as easily as an LS-2,3,x block?

There is no reason to believe it will be. The two stage hydraulic valve assembly is inherently weaker and an Achilles heal to the Lt1. They designed a powertrain for the non auto hobbyist... Ok for you I am guessing, but bad for the track...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by bwfredette

There is no reason to believe it will be. The two stage hydraulic valve assembly is inherently weaker and an Achilles heal to the Lt1. They designed a powertrain for the non auto hobbyist... Ok for you I am guessing, but bad for the track...
If it's so bad for the track, why the Z51 option ?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Question. How much would the average Corvette owner pay to increase horsepower 5%? More then you would care to acknowledge.
Dull
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by speedlink
Your lack of knowledge is compelling. I guess GM should come out and give the LT1 all it could be right out of the box. Yet, we don't have any final #'s yet.
Since you don't like the car, stick with the C6. It is a great car for you to like. Good luck and enjoy.
My lack of knowledge. hardy har har. You sir should have a fact in hand if you are to dispute what I illuminated... Is not a commposite valve train weaker than a solid one? hmmm??? I'd love to be wrong, we will see.

You know what I might do? I'll buy a c7 strip offf the ugly rear bumper and buy an after market one. Strip out the LT1 and put in an LS-x with a big fat SC and all the gooodies... Throw on the Z07 suspension and then I'd have a nice c7 It would have a great interior and all...

Last edited by bwfredette; 02-21-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

... You know whatI might do? I'll buy a c7 strip offf the ugly rear bumper and buy an after market one. Strip out the LT1 and put in an LS-x with a big fat SC and all the gooodies... Throw on the Z07 suspension and then I'd have a nice c7 It would have a great interior and all...
You are free to do what you want
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

I remember an interview with Bob Lutz when the LS engine first debuted and he stated that the engine was capable of 500 or more horsepower (at the time it was rated at 345). Boy, he sure was right about that. I think the point is, and this relates to Ken Lingenfelter's concern about the LT1, that GM has its "crate engine" (the LS) which it will be able to sell to after market modifiers, race car builders and street rodders for years to come. My guess is that the LT1 is not intended as a crate engine.

I don't doubt that there will be mods capable of generation 10% more horsepower out of the LT1......depending on how rigid and fool proof the electronic nannies are. But there will be nannies, and they'll be tougher to get around than anything we've likely seen from GM to date.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 PM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by jackhall99
You are free to do what you want
Too bad they have not created a fanboy emoticon yet
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 PM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by Rathmullan
I remember an interview with Bob Lutz when the LS engine first debuted and he stated that the engine was capable of 500 or more horsepower (at the time it was rated at 345). Boy, he sure was right about that. I think the point is, and this relates to Ken Lingenfelter's concern about the LT1, that GM has its "crate engine" (the LS) which it will be able to sell to after market modifiers, race car builders and street rodders for years to come. My guess is that the LT1 is not intended as a crate engine.

I don't doubt that there will be mods capable of generation 10% more horsepower out of the LT1......depending on how rigid and fool proof the electronic nannies are. But there will be nannies, and they'll be tougher to get around than anything we've likely seen from GM to date.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,457 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by drmustang
Ignore this tool. He is obsessed with bashing the C7 every day in multiple threads. He would appear to be attempting to say that the C7 will be emasculated with government mandated restrictions and limiters. Wow, that is really some creative criticism. Its time for guys like this to just face the music and accept the fact that the C7 will be a better performance vehicle that runs the table on the current C6. Sorry but that is the plain and simple reality here.
these people have been around since the C2 was introduced and will be around when the C8 is made, I don't know why they make such a big deal about this $hit, time marches on. I didn't own my C5 when the C6 came out, I've only owned my current one for 5 years but honestly I couldn't give a rats a$$ about new models, there will always be faster and better, no big deal, just accept it and move on......you hear that C7 haters, MOVE ON!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

And I think the C7 is going to be a very good car. Just from what I've gleened from the GM marketing info the car is going to represent a new level of integration among power train, drive train, steering and suspension components. GM is talking about millisecond torque distribution through an electronic limited slip program, etc. It's sort of C6 active handling on steroids. That's one reason for limiting independent modifications to the power train. Change one variable too much in an equation of variables designed to communicate with one another and the whole system can get out of whack in a hurry.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

You say they incorperated c6 racing tricks. No they did not. that is just a Marketing Line. They incorperated nothing of value and that is one of the gripes that hard core engineering fans have. The suspension and motor train are all too similar to the c6 for this to be a c7. We got bamboozled. But hey the Real Chevrolet went bankrupt so I guess this is the best they could do!!!

No one believes it is going to be slower, but a little faster is no excuse for a new model. They trashed the good name of the stingray by using it for a car that is only a little bit faster and not innovative.
Then why is the car racing? Are the vents on this car pointless? "Too similar"....but not the exact same, it's called improving upon a great design, now it's better. Could we argue the gen IV engine architecture was too similar in design to the gen III and therefore nothing of value was incorporated? It's the base car, first year model.

If you don't want to like the car, that's the beauty of making your own choices. Making a statement saying they incorporated nothing of value at all into the car...... well, to each their own. Wow. I'm going to check this baby out in person at Amelia Island, I advise you go see it someplace when you have the chance. It is going to surprise you and a few others on here....as long as you keep an open mind.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 02-22-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Too much bashing going on about a car we don't know the details on yet. They said every part to this car is new with the exception of two carry over parts. I don't think they would of spent all that money to manufacture all new parts if they didn't incorporate anything of value. As far as how it will perform, we just don't know yet. We can guess, but we just don't know. So until we know, I won't bash or praise the cars performance. I like the way it looks inside and out. That's all I know so far.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
Too much bashing going on about a car we don't know the details on yet. They said every part to this car is new with the exception of two carry over parts. I don't think they would of spent all that money to manufacture all new parts if they didn't incorporate anything of value. As far as how it will perform, we just don't know yet. We can guess, but we just don't know. So until we know, I won't bash or praise the cars performance. I like the way it looks inside and out. That's all I know so far.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Then why is the car racing? Are the vents on this car pointless? "Too similar"....but not the exact same, it's called improving upon a great design, now it's better. Could we argue the gen IV engine architecture was too similar in design to the gen III and therefore nothing of value was incorporated? It's the base car, first year model.

If you don't want to like the car, that's the beauty of making your own choices. Making a statement saying they incorporated nothing of value at all into the car...... well, to each their own. Wow. I'm going to check this baby out in person at Amelia Island, I advise you go see it someplace when you have the chance. It is going to surprise you and a few others on here....as long as you keep an open mind.
Sir, I am having difficulty following you.

1) no one is racing the c7 yet or even driving it yet. (maybe you were just guessing)
2) your point on the vents... what is your point? do you think the c6 had transmission cooling issues that the c7 vents solved? Have you ever seen where the transmission is located? It gets a lot of wind down there... The vents on the c7 have a name, it's called FORM WITHOUT FUNCTION! It's like the tail fins on the superbird or rocket nose on old 60's cars...

Calling the c7 an improvement on a great design would be a big leap. It is a change and little more. Perhaps I smell a little performance gain, maybe 5% or so; but that is just what the ls3 had left of the table for simple tuning and airflow mods.

My point is simply that it is hard to be excited about a decade long development of the 7th corvette generation when they gave so little. But I digress as the c5-to-c6 was not such a change either. perhaps this is all American motor companies have left in them.

Hmmm but what is with the rear end and shameful gauge cluster... yuk they've screwed the pooch this time! I'd be embarrassed every time I took someone for a ride and they asked me "why does it have a video game console in the middle of the dash"!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Davy_Baby9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) no one is racing the c7 yet or even driving it yet. (maybe you were just guessing)
2) your point on the vents... what is your point? do you think the c6 had transmission cooling issues that the c7 vents solved? Have you ever seen where the transmission is located? It gets a lot of wind down there... The vents on the c7 have a name, it's called FORM WITHOUT FUNCTION! It's like the tail fins on the superbird or rocket nose on old 60's cars...

Calling the c7 an improvement on a great design would be a big leap. It is a change and little more. Perhaps I smell a little performance gain, maybe 5% or so; but that is just what the ls3 had left of the table for simple tuning and airflow mods.

My point is simply that it is hard to be excited about a decade long development of the 7th corvette generation when they gave so little. But I digress as the c5-to-c6 was not such a change either. perhaps this is all American motor companies have left in them.

Hmmm but what is with the rear end and shameful gauge cluster... yuk they've screwed the pooch this time! I'd be embarrassed every time I took someone for a ride and they asked me "why does it have a video game console in the middle of the dash"!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

If you can watch and listen to this video, and really comprehend what is being said, you might accept the fact the C7 is a hell of a good improvement over rhe C6.

However, after reading your drivel for a while, I'm not sure if your hatred can be overcome, no matter what any person says.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9

Get notified of new replies

To So how bad is a C7 going to beat a C6 LS3 in stock performance?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

It's not guessing, it's been unfolding before your eyes for years now. Racing has a trickle down effect. Manufacturers use data collected from current racing programs to improve future street models. When do you think the LS7 and C6 Z06 bits were designed? Do you think hey waited for the C6R before they broke ground on that engine for the street? That architecture and much of the data used to bring it to life was derived directly from the C5R racing program. Current racing programs are very relevant to future models.

What's not to get excited about? We have a new Corvette coming out that has been honed by a factory backed racing effort, which will continue forward with the new generation. This new car comes with exceptional lineage complimented even more by the C5R and C6R programs... and tricks learned from these are applied to this new generation. Just listening to the C7 bark to life from the push button and burble has got me grinning. This car has come a LONG way.

As far as form without function..... 1963 split window and the accompanying vents/scoops to nowhere. Split window design: beautiful on paper and to view, not the best concept for rearward vision. Looks are subjective about the C7, no argument there. We can't argue on emotion because the design is inspiring different feelings for different people.

I'm pretty excited about it, it's a new direction and I'll love and miss the slab rear design of the C5/C6 but it's nice to see something different. It's like the old Viper GTS that pushed the right buttons for some and was way overkill on the styling for others. I like analogs too but I also like the new digital dash design......well that and I loved the C4 digi dash as well. Ferrari has always kept a very similar layout of their analog dash design. I would say if Corvette had done the same over the years and kept a traditional dash tach design that barely changed, that would be preferable to going this cutting edge. But they don't, so it's nice to see a different take.

BW, be skeptical, but I say reserve judgement until you drive one. I've never been disappointed with a modern Vette yet, so it's hard for me to beat this one up. Can't wait to see one.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM
ucfsaxman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: So how bad is a C7 going to beat a C6 LS3 in stock performance?