Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does this vent do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

not that the hood vent has anything to do with the fender vents in question, but have you actually seen the airflow diagrams? just because the car don't "lift off" (as if pulling your steering wheel somehow magically controls a non-existent elevator on the back ) don't mean allowing the air to escape through the hood don't reduce lift or create downforce.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I never said the Z06 and the ZR1 was a Hoover. Of course, one can get a car airborne under the right conditions.
What I said is that the C6 Z06 managed to keep me firmly planted so why do I need gimmicks that don't do any better then what I have. It's the end result that matters.

Oh, and NASCAR cars do not have hood or rear fender vents to stay planted to the track. They don't try and manage the air with gimmicks. Are you saying the C7 will stay planted where a NASCAR cup car won't?
But you linked your personal experience to the end result of the ZR1 on the Nurburgring. They are not one and the same. The Corvette team prides itself on building a car that is balanced for a wide variety of conditions that go beyond a smooth, relatively flat speedway that is banked (and which directs more force that would otherwise be pushing out of the turn downward into the pavement).
As for NASCAR, you would have to know something more about the technical regulations regarding bodywork, ride heights, slick tires (which Corvettes don't have benefit of), etc. Then there is the tradeoff the teams may make with regard to downforce vs low drag. You can't know that the NASCAR cup cars won't be even faster through the curves (at the possible cost of straightline speed). Believe it or not, many regulations are in place to limit speeds and costs. Formula One cars have massively tall sidewalls, but that doesn't mean that's the ideal setup for a normal road car at normal ride height.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
But you linked your personal experience to the end result of the ZR1 on the Nurburgring. They are not one and the same. The Corvette team prides itself on building a car that is balanced for a wide variety of conditions that go beyond a smooth, relatively flat speedway that is banked (and which directs more force that would otherwise be pushing out of the turn downward into the pavement).
As for NASCAR, you would have to know something more about the technical regulations regarding bodywork, ride heights, slick tires (which Corvettes don't have benefit of), etc. Then there is the tradeoff the teams may make with regard to downforce vs low drag. You can't know that the NASCAR cup cars won't be even faster through the curves (at the possible cost of straightline speed). Believe it or not, many regulations are in place to limit speeds and costs. Formula One cars have massively tall sidewalls, but that doesn't mean that's the ideal setup for a normal road car at normal ride height.
My only point in bringing up my personal exprience and bringing up other 100% street cars is that they are stable at speeds well above what is legal to drive. My point is that if I, on a race track, and other street cars on race tracks, can stay planted at 150..162...182...without hood vents and rear fender vents, what's their purpose, other then imitating a full blown race car like the C6R. You can add the vents but it won't make a C7 into a real C7R.

If the C6 wasn't safe to drive at high speeds, I would think there would be a forced speed limiter placed on them.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

i got to looking up some studies already done on the ZL1 camaro aero & they concluded that the splitter, skirts, belly pans, & hood (hood being a big factor): at speeds of 150mph, the Z generated 65lb of downforce compared to 200lb of lift in a standard SS. numbers show the difference. i know that above 160 in my C5, i still feel comfortable and in control, but it's noticeably lighter on the tires. it would give me more confidence in my car's ability if i knew it had more pressure pushing the rubber to the road.

Last edited by _zebra; 01-19-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by _zebra
i got to looking up some studies already done on the ZL1 camaro aero & they concluded that the splitter, skirts, belly pans, & hood (hood being a big factor), at speeds of 150mph, the Z generated 65lb of downforce compared to 200lb of lift in a standard SS. numbers show the difference
What has a Camaro got to do with a Corvette, other then similar taillghts on the C7? A base Camaro will not do 190 MPH as will a base C6.

It's not a hidden fact that the Z06's aero has less front/rear lift then the base C6 and that the ZR1 has less front/rear lift then the Z06. It's about the base C6 having good aero to start out with, and the wide bodies improving on it.

Is the C7's front end and rear end lift less then a C6 Z06 or ZR1's. If not, then have they improved the C7 over the C6 Z06/ZR1?.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

did you stop at the word 'camaro' & instantly hit the quote button?

for one, where did i say 190mph? two, the camaro reference was talking about a study done to validate the wind tunnel results of a vented hood. if you'll stop talking about how you p!55 excellence while driving all your corvettes for a second to pay attention to what other people are saying, you might learn something new today.

the fact that the hood was engineered to extract air from the engine bay has been a proven design to reduce lift on the front end of a car. the particular test i noted was to give actual numbers to the theories we're explaining here because the C7 hood has a similar extractor design to the ZL1.

at high speeds (150mph as tested in that tunnel with the Camaro), air comes up from under the car through the engine bay & pushes up on the underside of the hood. the new vented design allows that trapped air to stop lifting the front end so much because it has somewhere else to go - up & over the windshield. that equals less lift & more stability control.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

The C7 is not a C6R. One is a production cruiser and the other is a full blown race car. The C6R has a completely different engine from a C6. It also has a completely different transmission from a C6. While appearing similar, the C6R has a different body then the base C6. Every C6 Z06 and ZR1 has a transmission cooler and a differential cooler, yet dosen't have a vent on the rear fenders.
GM also says the hood extractor is for reducing lift. Is it needed or is it a styling gimmick? The base C6 will do 190 MPH. The base Z06 will do 198 MPH and the base ZR1 will do 205 MPH. GM was able to reduce the front end lift on the Z06 and ZR1 by changing the design of the front fascia and adding a splitter. I have never heard of a base C6, or a Z06 or a ZR1 going airborne at the speeds they are capable of. Have you?

As I've said before. I have had my Z06 to 162 MPH at Talladega and no matter how hard I pulled back on the steering wheel...the damn car would not lift off. I've seen the videos of the pure stock ZR1 running at 182 MPH at the Ring. Went around the track faster then 99.99% of the people who own Corvettes will ever do. The ZR1 did not go airborne at the Ring because it didn't have a hood vent.

It has been SOP for years for the car companies to mimic features found on race cars. Not because they improved the car, but because they improved the car's sales.

How much front end down force do you think is necessary for a street car?
The people who designed the C7 used some of the tech from the C6R, the rear fender vent is one of them, maybe you should send an e-mail off to GM and explain to them that they don't know what there doing, and don't forget the talladega story, I'm sure GM will be very impressed.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
The people who designed the C7 used some of the tech from the C6R, the rear fender vent is one of them, maybe you should send an e-mail off to GM and explain to them that they don't know what there doing, and don't forget the talladega story, I'm sure GM will be very impressed.
That's funny right there GET 'ER DONE
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Probably more impressed with someone that actually drives their Corvette closer to how it was designed to be driven then a bunch of Internet yahoos with their Monogramed floor mats in their freshly waxed RAV4.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Joe, I think your bragging about doing a track day but from a technical standpoint you are confused.

First, in your example about downforce at 60mph, there is none to very little downforce at 60mph.

Secondly, what part of additional downforce is helpful thru fast turns do you not understand? Have you ever noticed that the MotoGP bikes go as fast or faster than the F1 cars thru the slow turns but get spanked thru the fast turns badly? Why do you think that is? Could it be this mysterious thing called downforce by Engineering types?

Woohoo!, so you went 162mph on a banking (my wife topped 160mph, on a motorcycle on a banking dozens of times, big deal) but what you don't get is that you are unable to go 162 thru a turn that is going away. In fact depending on the turn you probably couldn't do it at 100mph. More downforce allows you to go faster thru the turns.

Stop hatin' dude. If we find later that the C7 Engineering team lied thru their teeth about the additional downforce provided by the vents (not likely) then we can all complain about superfaluous venting. But until that moment please discontinue your rant/ sort of lame bragging.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,256 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
The rear vents are supposedly for cooling as some say.

But, they don't do very much when you look at the air flow analysis. Watch the videos and read interviews from some of the design team and they clearly say they were primarily added to make the C7 look more "rear mid-engine". They are there for visual design and to make it look different than the C6.
If the above is true and they are more cosmetic than functional then the car is over stylized. I guess the same can be said of the rear venting [along the tail lights] giving it the ever popular and sought after running mascara look. Again over stylized.

These visual cues would be regarded as blatant errors per the school of design, to which I do not believe GM's design house would overlook.

Less is always more -something GM lost sight of with this release.
I'm certain it will be considerably cleaned up in years 3 or 4 when they tend to refresh the car.

Something to look forward to.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewelle
If the above is true and they are more cosmetic than functional then the car is over stylized. I guess the same can be said of the rear venting [along the tail lights] giving it the ever popular and sought after running mascara look. Again over stylized.

These visual cues would be regarded as blatant errors per the school of design, to which I do not believe GM's design house would overlook.

Less is always more -something GM lost sight of with this release.
I'm certain it will be considerably cleaned up in years 3 or 4 when they tend to refresh the car.

Something to look forward to.
The front vent takes heated air that has passed through the hot radiator and gets it away from the engine and out of the engine compartment. The disruption of air passing over the hood reduces the wing effect tendency of a smooth hood. In excess of 165 mph my C6 felt lighter in the front, a feeling I didn't like. The vents on top of the rear quarters are inlets leading to heat exchangers (small radiators) that are on some model(s) for the transmission and differential.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Joe, I think your bragging about doing a track day but from a technical standpoint you are confused.

First, in your example about downforce at 60mph, there is none to very little downforce at 60mph.

Secondly, what part of additional downforce is helpful thru fast turns do you not understand? Have you ever noticed that the MotoGP bikes go as fast or faster than the F1 cars thru the slow turns but get spanked thru the fast turns badly? Why do you think that is? Could it be this mysterious thing called downforce by Engineering types?

Woohoo!, so you went 162mph on a banking (my wife topped 160mph, on a motorcycle on a banking dozens of times, big deal) but what you don't get is that you are unable to go 162 thru a turn that is going away. In fact depending on the turn you probably couldn't do it at 100mph. More downforce allows you to go faster thru the turns.

Stop hatin' dude. If we find later that the C7 Engineering team lied thru their teeth about the additional downforce provided by the vents (not likely) then we can all complain about superfaluous venting. But until that moment please discontinue your rant/ sort of lame bragging.
I'm at 140 MPH at the entrance of turn 2 at Talladega. Halfway through turn two, I go WOT. I'm at the max the Goodyear Supercars can hold as they are slightly skipping sideways in the rear. Front is planted. Bridgestones hold better under the exact same conditions. I know what it is to drive both the turns at Talladega and at Texas Motor Speedway. Tell me, have you driven at 145 MPH through the high banked turns at Talladega or Daytona in your Corvette. or are you just a bench racer.

BEZ06 has driven his Z06 with Hoosiers at 145 in turn 4 at Daytona and was able to hit 175 at the front stretch. When he put on his wheels and tires from his ZR1(Michelin PS2) he had to slow down through turn 4 and was only able to get to 165 on the front stretch. You are completely mistaken if you believe that you can sail around a high banked turn and not pull any lateral g's that can get the car going sideways, or into the wall.

I know there is little downforce at 60 mph and that's why I'm not really impressed with the so called improvements in the C7's aero over my Z06 or a ZR1. On the highway, at legal speeds, downforce is for bench racers. I don't want to hear about what a vented hood can do for a Camaro, I want to know how it stands against my Z06's non vented hood. How much down force is exerted on the front of a C7 vs the downforce on the front of my Z06, or a ZR1 that uses a different means to reduce lift, at 60, 80 100, 150, 180?

It's not bragging if you're telling the truth. It's better that someone tells of their real life experiences instead of repeating what they read on the Internet. Maybe you don't want to hear it, but I really enjoy driving my Z06 at it's limit at the high banked tracks. Maybe someday you will have something to brag about too.

I've never ridden a motorcycle at 140 through the turns at Talladega so I can't speak(brag) about that experience. Have you? Are you saying that riding a motorcycle has the same dynamics as driving a car? Otherwise what has riding a motorcycle have to do with driving a Z06?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Increasing down force almost always adds drag which slows the car down. GM is using some smart tricks to reduce drag and add down force; not easy to do for 55k or so. I just wish it had a smart wing that tucked away when the car was off; inched up as speeds increased; and went max air brake during slow down. come on Z06 "smart" wing!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

alright Joe - if you can't apply the real-world results obtained from a similar vehicle, then feel free to go tip your radiator back a little, cut a hole in your hood, and install some ducting & then come back to tell us how much firmer your car felt on the ground at 140 through the back half of turn 2

Get notified of new replies

To What does this vent do?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Probably more impressed with someone that actually drives their Corvette closer to how it was designed to be driven then a bunch of Internet yahoos with their Monogramed floor mats in their freshly waxed RAV4.
I sank a 3-pointer once in an intramural basketball game.

I think I'll tell LBJ how to play hoops!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:17 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

The C7 is not a C6R. One is a production cruiser and the other is a full blown race car. The C6R has a completely different engine from a C6. It also has a completely different transmission from a C6. While appearing similar, the C6R has a different body then the base C6. Every C6 Z06 and ZR1 has a transmission cooler and a differential cooler, yet dosen't have a vent on the rear fenders.
GM also says the hood extractor is for reducing lift. Is it needed or is it a styling gimmick? The base C6 will do 190 MPH. The base Z06 will do 198 MPH and the base ZR1 will do 205 MPH. GM was able to reduce the front end lift on the Z06 and ZR1 by changing the design of the front fascia and adding a splitter. I have never heard of a base C6, or a Z06 or a ZR1 going airborne at the speeds they are capable of. Have you?

As I've said before. I have had my Z06 to 162 MPH at Talladega and no matter how hard I pulled back on the steering wheel...the damn car would not lift off. I've seen the videos of the pure stock ZR1 running at 182 MPH at the Ring. Went around the track faster then 99.99% of the people who own Corvettes will ever do. The ZR1 did not go airborne at the Ring because it didn't have a hood vent.

It has been SOP for years for the car companies to mimic features found on race cars. Not because they improved the car, but because they improved the car's sales.

How much front end down force do you think is necessary for a street car?
Maybe its less about avoiding airborne and more about making it feel less "floaty" at speed? Avoiding liftoff isn't the only objective for downforce.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Mr C7
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
on later cars it will cool intercoolers on the rear mounted twin turbo ZR1.
One can only pray.

Quick Reply: What does this vent do?