Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

Problem solved. Look below.
Again, it was not my intent to imply that inability to perform a 180 is a serious deficit. That having been said, I still think this car is completely incapable of executing a 180. But, maybe I'm missing something.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
Again, it was not my intent to imply that inability to perform a 180 is a serious deficit. That having been said, I still think this car is completely incapable of executing a 180. But, maybe I'm missing something.
I can pull a 180 in my C5 Z06 without touching the hand brake. In fact, I NEVER touch it while I'm driving. Ever. Only when I'm parking or starting the car. There's nothing I need it for while driving, even when doing stupid stuff in a parking lot.

To kick the back end out, just push the clutch in, turn the wheel over, press the gas, then side step (or pop) the clutch. Simple.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 538 Posts

shoot... with a few mods, all ya gotta do to kick the back end out is mash the loud pedal
Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by _zebra
shoot... with a few mods, all ya gotta do to kick the back end out is mash the loud pedal
With the torque curve on this new motor, a few mods may not even be necessary to do this.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Life is about managing risks, and the risk of having 100% power loss while moving is nearly nil. It doesn't take much power for the E-brake to actuate the hydraulics of the calipers and lock the tires.

Go spend some time with the CTS-V guys on the Cadillac forum and ask them if they hate their E-brake or if it's caused them a problem (hint: they don't, and it hasn't). It's the same system, and it works phenomenally well.

It actuates the hydraulics for all 4 calipers, bypassing the ABS valve, and it stops the car RIGHT! NOW! This is a bad thing, why? I'm guessing you're going to say something like, "100% brake hydraulics failure"? See my "managing risks" statement above.

jas
This is 100% INCORRECT!!! I own a 2011 CTS-V with an electronic parking brake, and I have changed the brakes and examined the brake setup and I have a set of shop manuals. The CTS-V has has the exact same setup as the current generation C6. The rear brakes have two brake systems, a caliper and rotor for normal operation and a drum brake system (built into the rotor) that is actuated with a cable and used exclusively for the parking brake.

The only difference between the electronic and handle versions is how the cable is pulled taunt to engage the parking brakes. One uses a handle and the other uses an electronic motor.

The electronic parking brake system has no connection to the hydraulic brakes, nor has any way to engage them.

Last edited by Thrill6; 02-10-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
With the torque curve on this new motor, a few mods may not even be necessary to do this.
I don't disagree. But, when I say "bank robbers 180 I mean doing the maneuver on a narrow two lane road and power away at full throttle. I'm just not sure what percentage of the time I could personally pull that off and not whack a curb without using a real manual parking brake.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Hmmm....

Practice makes perfect? LOL
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I came here looking for information regarding dealing with steep inclines with the new e-brake and wasted 15 minutes reading through this completely ridiculous thread.

So, for anyone else stopping by looking for info and not pompous opinions and assorted misinformation, I'll sum it up....

Original poster's legitimate question:
Originally Posted by arkus

How would you take off from an incline when using a stick shift with the E brake?
Helpful answer:
Originally Posted by c54u

From the Cadillac CTS-V 2011 manual page 9-37
Same goes for 2012 and 2013 models but found on different pages.

Automatic EPB Release
The EPB will automatically release
if the vehicle is running, placed into
gear, and an attempt is made to
drive away. Avoid rapid acceleration
when the EPB is applied, to
preserve park brake lining life.
The EPB can also be used to
prevent roll back for vehicles with
a manual transmission taking off on
a hill.
In a situation where no roll
back is desired, an applied EPB will
allow both feet to be used for the
clutch and accelerator pedals in
preparation for starting the vehicle
moving in the intended direction.
In this situation, perform the normal
clutch and/or accelerator actions
required to begin moving the
vehicle. There is no need to push
the switch to release the EPB.
If you are towing a trailer and
parking on a hill, see Driving
Characteristics and Towing Tips on
page 9‑53 for more information.
Thank you, c54u.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^^ excellent post and VERY, VERY true
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Medic Man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
I never use the e brake. If it's a really steep incline, I usually heel and toe and then let off the brake as the clutch engages.

Thats the way I do it.. Some people aren't very coordinated it appears!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Medic Man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramey
what the hell? seriously?

what happens without battery power? it is an EMERGENCY brake after all.

what happens if you want to use the handbrake for any number of things?

you may WANT to load the car up slightly against the handbrake (test clutch, etc.,). you may WANT to leverage the handbrake while working a car on or off a trailer.

a sports car should be able to do a handbrake turn.

bottom line, just like everything else, only more so (it is an emergency brake after all) it is vital that the e brake ALWAYS DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU TELL IT TO, ONLY WHAT YOU TELL IT TO, AND NEVER ANYTHING YOU DON'T TELL IT TO. It should not rely on battery power to activate or deactivate. it should not 'turn off' when the car begins to move.

surely this is not right?
Calm down and leave it in first gear dead battery or not it wont roll!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
al89
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
This is 100% INCORRECT!!! I own a 2011 CTS-V with an electronic parking brake, and I have changed the brakes and examined the brake setup and I have a set of shop manuals. The CTS-V has has the exact same setup as the current generation C6. The rear brakes have two brake systems, a caliper and rotor for normal operation and a drum brake system (built into the rotor) that is actuated with a cable and used exclusively for the parking brake.

The only difference between the electronic and handle versions is how the cable is pulled taunt to engage the parking brakes. One uses a handle and the other uses an electronic motor.

The electronic parking brake system has no connection to the hydraulic brakes, nor has any way to engage them.
thks I tried to make the point a cple times jvp are you listening
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Vet
I came here looking for information regarding dealing with steep inclines with the new e-brake and wasted 15 minutes reading through this completely ridiculous thread.
Thanks. I don't know why people can't start their own thread when they want to change the subject.

I guess I will start practicing the heel-and-toe method while I am out today. Maybe I shouldn't own a stick because I sometimes use the e-brake to prevent rolling back. It's just the way I have always done it.

I bet the C7 has hill assist programming just like the Camaro.

Last edited by BayouCountry; 02-17-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
When the e-brake is on, it will hold the car. As soon as you give the car enough gas to go forward, the e-braked disengages automatically.

Hmmm - it doesn't work that way on my 2013 Volt. It stays on and keeps the car from moving.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET

One thing for certain, with this type of PARKING BRAKE system, you do have to be careful after extreme intensive use of the brakes such as track use or autocrossing. You cannot set this type of parking brake until the brakes have cooled to a more normal level. If you are really using these brakes to their max performance level, it will probably take about 20 to 30 minutes for them to cool to the point that you can safely set the parking brake.
Good point - that would probably warp the rotors.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

After reading this thread,all I can say is I'll be glad when we get the actual specs on the car and can start having meaningful conversations....and stop with the ridiculous nit picking.

This is not directed at the OP,he had a valid question. It was to the donnybrook that ensued....
Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

With respect to possible problems with generic E Brake systems, there was an interesting scenario that happened during the recent NY Times test drive of the Tesla Model S.

When the driver set the E Brake after pulling to the side of the road with a dead battery, he set the E Brake.

By the time the flat bed tow truck arrived, the battery was indeed dead. They could not get the E Brake to release even after talking to Tesla headquarters and trying to plug in the tow truck's jump start battery.

Eventually, they had to drag the Tesla onto the flat bed with the wheels immobilized and unable to rotate.

As more and more cars come equipped with these E Brakes, we all may have to develop new habit patterns when confronted with electrical problems such as dead batteries and alternator failures etc.

Get notified of new replies

To E-parking brake ?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Tom/99
The only time my parking brake is used, is when the state inspection is performed.
Originally Posted by 2k2C5
The instructions on how to use it are in the owners manual.
may be he doesn't have an owners manual ..............
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sprtplt
Everything electronic always works perfectly on GM vehicles, especially the first model year in use. Oh. Wait.
You're referring to the Volt right ?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM
kwickag
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Obviously those of you questioning the use of the parking brake to start moving on a hill haven't driven on Madison street in downtown Seattle with someone right behind you. Without the p-brake not rolling back is impossible on that street or actually most east west streets near downtown here.

Quick Reply: E-parking brake ?