Sponsored by:

Why no Automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 PM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
I don't have the production figures in front of me for the C6 last couple of years, but as I recall, there are far more automatics sold than manuals.
Yes, but remember, the C7 is being marketed to .......... a different demographic*.

* i.e. not the old codgers that drive to car shows to show off their chrome do-dads.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,009 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Funny...If I recall the auto in the C6 was faster than the manual ...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Racer
WOW, the first of thousands of C7 manual vs Auto threads that is going south....FAST!
Amen!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
DrunkPenguin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sports car like this in auto?

Plus they are going for a younger demographic in the reveal No auto trannie allowed...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
I've never driven a manual, don't know how to, and don't really care to learn either.

The last thing I'd want is to lose a street race because I didn't shift properly.

Hypothetically if the C7 did not have an auto option I would probably not buy it.
It's good to see a woman interested in the new C7!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM
DrunkPenguin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by coolcat
I'm ordering a C7 with an automatic transmission.
Why buy a high tech sports car with an old fashion manual transmission?

Even Ferrari abandoned the floor mounted old school manual transmission years ago.
And I visit Ferrari chat.com often and they have a huge thread "will Ferrari ever bring back a manual?"

Guys there stating they are bored with the paddles and own second cars like 911 or Audi R8 when they really want to drive thru the twisties. Ferrari for image. Other cars for fun.

I agree-

Rick
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 PM
MP&RPZ06
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont think there is anything wrong with an Auto also. Something about drinking a cup a coffee in morning and not shifting does have some good points.

I think the auto ZL1 is also faster than the six speed.

Oh I do own a Z06 and did see a 8 second Z06, that was also an auto.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

With hydraulic clutch pedal assist and auto rev match I don't see what's "manual" about so-called manual shifting. Maybe semi-manual, or pretend-manual.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

WOW, the first of thousands of C7 manual vs Auto threads that is going south....FAST!
Unfortunately true.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

and no one has the car yet

I hope GM makes it interesting offering the auto with 2.76 gears (did not see the option on the list but perhaps as part of the Z51 package)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM
HKILP7M8
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Subw00er
Grow some, get a manual.
I agree...
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Fixed it for you.
Lol!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
I've never driven a manual, don't know how to, and don't really care to learn either.

The last thing I'd want is to lose a street race because I didn't shift properly.

Hypothetically if the C7 did not have an auto option I would probably not buy it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving a stick isn't all that hard. Here is a list of the following that is more difficult to me than driving a stick

1: finding a pair of 31X32 Jeans in a department store
2: Figuring out what I want to eat for breakfast
3: Summoning the will to not just keep driving right on past work while in my C4 (which Ironically enough is a slushomatic. My birdy was my Stick car)
4: Finding electrical gremlins in my C4
5: Sitting in traffic waiting for the light to change.
6: Resisting the urge to just footbrake launch the car and get all stompy on the loud pedal just as the light changes green.
7: Resisting the urge to not look at ebay and craigslist in the nearly vain hope of finding another Firebird somewhat close to me that has either 0 Options on the 3.8 V6 with the five speed, (and have it be Bright Red) or at least to not have power seats with the V8 and 6 speed.
8: Resisting the urge to buy another Bird period. (My girlfriend would get really mad at me, for having 3 cars at that point)

I understand and enjoy both. Providing the automatic isn't just another sleepomatic. If it's got some fun goodies in it like a stall converter, transbrake, and a ratchet shifter it gets all kinds of fun. But even the sleepomatic has it's perks too. When I'm driving along the blue ridge parkway I can really take the time to enjoy the scenery at the same time I'm attacking the corners. I like my stick shift cars for the sheer control they provide. I also like my automatic precisely because of the fact that if necessary I can lend the car to any of my friends, and know they'll be able to drive it in a pinch. I like my stick cars precisely because of the fact that, it's a skill set most people don't have. Automatic cars also are an incredibly good gateway into the hobby for someone that's intimidated by high performance vehicles. The automatic lets face it tames cars that can be otherwise fairly temperamental to drive. You don't have to worry about breaking it just cruising around town. They also, when modified are deadly consistent cars in the 1/4, and in autocross events. And if the thrill of victory is something you enjoy almost as much as driving, in those two arenas the auto is not a bad choice by any means.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-17-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want an automatic, get a Prius. A sports car should always be a manual.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
With hydraulic clutch pedal assist and auto rev match I don't see what's "manual" about so-called manual shifting. Maybe semi-manual, or pretend-manual.
What is a hydraulic clutch assist? I would think that the rev matching is to save people from the possibility of premature wesr on the clutch?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Yup !

It had to happen sooner or later ....................

Get notified of new replies

To Why no Automatics?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Ya know, if I had a purely stop&go commute to work every morning, I would not take my Vette. Driving an automatic Vette would not change my mind because sitting in stop and go traffic defeats all the fun of driving a Vette. If that were my commute, I'd find something super comfy and luxurious for the commute and drive the Vette some other time. I'd probably get a hybrid so when I'm sitting still I would not be burning fuel.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
Driving a stick isn't all that hard. Here is a list of the following that is more difficult to me than driving a stick

1: finding a pair of 31X32 Jeans in a department store
2: Figuring out what I want to eat for breakfast
3: Summoning the will to not just keep driving right on past work while in my C4 (which Ironically enough is a slushomatic. My birdy was my Stick car)
4: Finding electrical gremlins in my C4
5: Sitting in traffic waiting for the light to change.
6: Resisting the urge to just footbrake launch the car and get all stompy on the loud pedal just as the light changes green.
7: Resisting the urge to not look at ebay and craigslist in the nearly vain hope of finding another Firebird somewhat close to me that has either 0 Options on the 3.8 V6 with the five speed, (and have it be Bright Red) or at least to not have power seats with the V8 and 6 speed.
8: Resisting the urge to buy another Bird period. (My girlfriend would get really mad at me, for having 3 cars at that point)

I understand and enjoy both. Providing the automatic isn't just another sleepomatic. If it's got some fun goodies in it like a stall converter, transbrake, and a ratchet shifter it gets all kinds of fun. But even the sleepomatic has it's perks too. When I'm driving along the blue ridge parkway I can really take the time to enjoy the scenery at the same time I'm attacking the corners. I like my stick shift cars for the sheer control they provide. I also like my automatic precisely because of the fact that if necessary I can lend the car to any of my friends, and know they'll be able to drive it in a pinch. I like my stick cars precisely because of the fact that, it's a skill set most people don't have. Automatic cars also are an incredibly good gateway into the hobby for someone that's intimidated by high performance vehicles. The automatic lets face it tames cars that can be otherwise fairly temperamental to drive. You don't have to worry about breaking it just cruising around town. They also, when modified are deadly consistent cars in the 1/4, and in autocross events. And if the thrill of victory is something you enjoy almost as much as driving, in those two arenas the auto is not a bad choice by any means.
LOL...

I think I might be in a similar "boat".

I've driven nothing but sticks my whole life. Loved them all. But, to tell the truth, I can't find a transmission I can shift as fast as I could the one in my '64 Falcon Sprint. Or my '69 Plymouth Satellite. So, for me, I look at today's transmissions like this:
  • I don't think the manuals today shift as fast as I want them to (or as fast as they used to). Or maybe it's just the string of Japanese transmissions I've been in the last 20 years.
  • Consequently, I find myself at a seeming disadvantage when it looks like I'm getting ready to have some fun at a red light with the car next to me
  • Sometimes, I'm in a more casual mode (as mentioned above) like in the mountains and I just want to cruise (although I recently had some fun coming down Brasstown Bald in Georgia ). But mostly, when I'm out on photography jaunts, I want to concentrate on interesting things to pull off for.
  • They suck in Atlanta traffic
  • They are cheaper
  • I enjoy "playing" with my clutch and revving in my work's enclosed garage.
  • I hate waiting for my manual to warm up during the winter and shift more smoothly.
  • I like "showing off" my sound by clutching and revving when near other hot cars

When it comes down to it, I'm leaning toward automatic if I can afford a 'Vette. But, it's not a done deal. If, for example, I have to get rid of (current code) NPP in favor of auto because of cost, I suspect I'd get the manual and NPP.

If I get a new 'Vette, it will probably be late 2014 or early 2015 (after I see the redesign of the 370Z). At age 63 and expecting to have the car awhile, I may find my "spirited" driving habits may dwindle even more. My wife--though 15 years my junior--doesn't even like to ride with me now--she says I go around turns too fast . So, I should start to slow my butt down some and actually let her feel more comfortable about riding with me.

Bottom line: No one should be "downed" for their preference either way. Nothing wrong with urging people to give the stick a try but any "sissy" references are really unnecessary.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

My last two vettes have been 6spd manuals. All future sports cars will have that third pedal.

Quick Reply: Why no Automatics?