C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is meant by appealing to a "younger" audience?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What is meant by appealing to a "younger" audience?

I have heard it stated in many ways and times that GM is trying to go after the "younger" crowd with the C7. That they are trying to reverse the image of an "old guy's" car, etc. I am curious as to what we think the age group is that GM is after? I am not sure what the absolute cheapest version of this car will cost, but let's say after TTL you aren't escaping for less than $50k. Exactly how many youngsters have this to include insurance? Of course you will find folks in their 20's and even teens, but if you look at the average income across the entire country and I think you come out at about the cost of a Corvette or less. This is someone's ENTIRE income for the year. I don't care if 15 teens jump on this thread saying how they are putting down a deposit, I just cannot fathom there are enough folks in this "younger" bracket to buy up this car no matter how much they may love it. I am not saying GM is targeting teens, but this gets to my question as to what age are we thinking here?

I am 41 now and I bought my C6 when I was 34. Was I in the "young" crowd then? Also, is there something about the C7 that would appeal to a younger crowd than the C6 did? Is this a new strategy that they didn't have at the time the C6 was released? In the end I just don't see GM having done anything different with this C7 in terms of age appeal that they didn't do when the C6 was released. Given the economy is even worse now and the cost of the car will be higher and I just don't see the market as having expanded more with the younger set versus 2005.

Last edited by S2K; 01-16-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Spelling error...so embarrassing.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
I have heard it stated in many ways and times that GM is trying to go after the "younger" crowed with the C7. That they are trying to reverse the image of an "old guy's" car, etc. I am curious as to what we think the age group is that GM is after? I am not sure what the absolute cheapest version of this car will cost, but let's say after TTL you aren't escaping for less than $50k. Exactly how many youngsters have this to include insurance? Of course you will find folks in their 20's and even teens, but if you look at the average income across the entire country and I think you come out at about the cost of a Corvette or less. This is someone's ENTIRE income for the year. I don't care if 15 teens jump on this thread saying how they are putting down a deposit, I just cannot fathom there are enough folks in this "younger" bracket to buy up this car no matter how much they may love it. I am not saying GM is targeting teens, but this gets to my question as to what age are we thinking here?

I am 41 now and I bought my C6 when I was 34. Was I in the "young" crowed then? Also, is there something about the C7 that would appeal to a younger crowed than the C6 did? Is this a new strategy that they didn't have at the time the C6 was released? In the end I just don't see GM having done anything in different with this C7 in terms of age appeal that they didn't do when the C6 was released. Given the economy is even worse now and the cost of the car will be higher and I just don't see the market as having expanded more with the younger set versus 2005.
the person they are going after is the young upwardly mobile consumer who would opt for a z4, audi tt cayman, bmw 3 series etc. They would be in their 30s to 40's and wanting an upscale looking hot sports car. They have it in the new c7.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by S2K
I have heard it stated in many ways and times that GM is trying to go after the "younger" crowed with the C7. That they are trying to reverse the image of an "old guy's" car, etc. I am curious as to what we think the age group is that GM is after? I am not sure what the absolute cheapest version of this car will cost, but let's say after TTL you aren't escaping for less than $50k. Exactly how many youngsters have this to include insurance? Of course you will find folks in their 20's and even teens, but if you look at the average income across the entire country and I think you come out at about the cost of a Corvette or less. This is someone's ENTIRE income for the year. I don't care if 15 teens jump on this thread saying how they are putting down a deposit, I just cannot fathom there are enough folks in this "younger" bracket to buy up this car no matter how much they may love it. I am not saying GM is targeting teens, but this gets to my question as to what age are we thinking here?

I am 41 now and I bought my C6 when I was 34. Was I in the "young" crowed then? Also, is there something about the C7 that would appeal to a younger crowed than the C6 did? Is this a new strategy that they didn't have at the time the C6 was released? In the end I just don't see GM having done anything different with this C7 in terms of age appeal that they didn't do when the C6 was released. Given the economy is even worse now and the cost of the car will be higher and I just don't see the market as having expanded more with the younger set versus 2005.
also if you go to a lot of vette shows presently you mostly see older guys. A lot of these guys are starting to die off. Just like the cadillac guys were. Cts and cts v lowered the age from nearly dead, to getting ahead
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

anyone under 60
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by ls1121
anyone under 60
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhang
the person they are going after is the young upwardly mobile consumer who would opt for a z4, audi tt cayman, bmw 3 series etc. They would be in their 30s to 40's and wanting an upscale looking hot sports car. They have it in the new c7.

also if you go to a lot of vette shows presently you mostly see older guys. A lot of these guys are starting to die off. Just like the cadillac guys were. Cts and cts v lowered the age from nearly dead, to getting ahead
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

I don't think they are going bottom fishing and after those cars. None of those car you mentioned are really that "upscale". They are going more after the 911, Jaguar F, GTR crowd.

And when they say young I would assume over 35 crowd. This car is not in the price range and budget of majority of the nation let alone someone in their 20's. Not that there is not always exception to the rules.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

There's that old saying:

"You can sell an old man a young man's car, but you can't sell a young man an old man's car."
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

How is this any different than what they were doing with the C6?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
nevillej
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are targeting the 27-40 year olds who might make 60K+ a year but have not yet had their disposable income depleted by purchasing a home or supporting a family. They want to sway them away from a Boxster or BMW and get them in an American car that's been tweaked to grab their attention and I believe it does "grab" one's attention.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I don't think they are going bottom fishing and after those cars. None of those car you mentioned are really that "upscale". They are going more after the 911, Jaguar F, GTR crowd.

And when they say young I would assume over 35 crowd. This car is not in the price range and budget of majority of the nation let alone someone in their 20's. Not that there is not always exception to the rules.
didnt say 20's. You are wrong also about who they are going after as you might have noticed there was an etc after. Corvette breaks down into very distinct price points. Not everyone can afford the zr1. But lots of guys in their thirties who could afford say a bmw 335is, can also afford the new vette in the lower model price point. For the first time in awhile, im enjoying the corvette forum, because that new c7 every time I look at it, it gets better and better.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nevillej
I think they are targeting the 27-40 year olds who might make 60K+ a year but have not yet had their disposable income depleted by purchasing a home or supporting a family. They want to sway them away from a Boxster or BMW and get them in an American car that's been tweaked to grab their attention and I believe it does "grab" one's attention.
$60K/Year???? LOL.....try more like $160K/year.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
$60K/Year???? LOL.....try more like $160K/year.
no, 60 is fine as a lot of people will lease them or have their businesses cover some of the costs of leasing or financing.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

If you like fuzzy dice, chrome wheels, and had a mullet, then this isnt the car for you.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

no, 60 is fine as a lot of people will lease them or have their businesses cover some of the costs of leasing or financing.
One has to be a financial idiot to buy or lease a $60K+ car on a $60K/year income. That's like someone making $180K/year buying or leasing a Ferrari.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 PM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent seen it anywhere but I also havent read all the threads so Im just gonna ask here...What size wheels for the C7? 19/20s?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Alanhang is just giving opinions that originate from his own observations of the world as seen through the eyes of youth and inexperience. He sees an old guy driving a Corvette, feels the unfairness that such a driver is too old to appreciate fully the performance capability to deserve having it, yet understands the impression the car has on his peers which he covets. For GM, it's easy to see why they would want to target that younger audience. To keep the car competitive with Ferrari and Porsche in an ongoing sense is very expensive. The price of the top level Vettes were approaching $100k, in the case of the ZR1 even more. But the younger audience sought by GM cares little about racing, probably doesn't follow it. By simply withdrawing from the competition with 911, 458, R8 and even GT-R, they can concentrate on the e-package and social networking trends the younger audiences truly care about, and position the car against the lower end imports like the cayman, 3 series etc. Later when the time is right, GM can bring out the performance model to the smaller hardcore audience at which point, new is old again. Cycle of life.

Get notified of new replies

To What is meant by appealing to a "younger" audience?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

A guy in his 20's can afford this car if he has good credit and a decent job. Its not an expensive car in terms of todays market. Average SUVs/Trucks cost around $40k new now. All you see are young guys driving them. Whats another $10-15k if they want a badass new Corvette? I'd say a guy with a decent down payment and a $50k a year income can afford one of these cars if its their dream car.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM
roundlight lover
Racer

Ever hear the term "Young and Dumb" ???
Now you're gitiin' it.......
Now git jiggy widdit...... sure he'll have one soon. And his kids too.....
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bladex10
A guy in his 20's can afford this car if he has good credit and a decent job. Its not an expensive car in terms of todays market. Average SUVs/Trucks cost around $40k new now. All you see are young guys driving them. Whats another $10-15k if they want a badass new Corvette? I'd say a guy with a decent down payment and a $50k a year income can afford one of these cars if its their dream car.
Ah yes, and we now have the very thinking that has kept people in extreme debt and defaulted mortgages. All we need to do now is buy the car with a credit card and pay 20% interest. The American dream brought you to by Government Motors.

Quick Reply: What is meant by appealing to a "younger" audience?