C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is meant by appealing to a "younger" audience?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
Clueless

Porsche makes the boxster/cayman for youth (911 wanna be).
Nissan z for the younger gt-r for money crowd
Audi had the tt and the rs for the money guys

Gm needs to run TWo types of vetted....skip one size fits all approach
Isn't Camaro Chevy's lower cost sports car?

And Camaro has a small back seat for the buyer who occasionally needs to take the spouse & kids along.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM
puckshaw
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I fall into the group of people GM is targeting with this car: 32 year old professional. I've always loved Corvettes and could afford one since about 3-4 years ago. It just never stacked up to everything I was looking for in a car. It had the performance but it didn't have the interior quality or technology that I would expect from a car with that price tag. I went as far as test driving a GS but walked away underwhelmed by the overall experience. I told myself I'd wait for the C7 before making my way to the Porsche dealership.

I'm happy to say that they've addressed everything that held me back from buying a C6. Now I'm just hoping the price is still reasonable. I've put away enough to hopefully buy one cash. I really don't want to finance. If the price is higher than expected, I'll probably hold off.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
ExpatMedic
4th Gear

I'd assume people like me..in their 30s. Just a guess, tho. To the above - I'm a 32 y/o professional, just bought a CTS-V. So, it seems like a fair assessment.

PS, I like the new Vette a *LOT* more than the c6. Not even a comparison. Like most, I'm on the fence about the rear, but it's already growing on me. Give a year and the c6 will look dated sitting next to it.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
HRS KLR
Instructor

I think Corvettes were considered cars you purchased either in your retirement years, after you finally made it in life career wise or after all of the kids were grown and left the house.

The new audience is everyone outside of this demographic. people on the upside of their career, people with families and anyone else that doesn't have one foot in the grave. It's time to get rid of that old man stigma Corvettes have.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by HRS KLR
I think Corvettes were considered cars you purchased either in your retirement years, after you finally made it in life career wise or after all of the kids were grown and left the house.

The new audience is everyone outside of this demographic. people on the upside of their career, people with families and anyone else that doesn't have one foot in the grave. It's time to get rid of that old man stigma Corvettes have.
I suspect most people with Corvettes have another, more practical car as well. That adds to the cost of owning a Corvette. Something for trips to Home Depot, when it snows, to carry the whole family on vacation...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Double_j01
8th Gear

Based on generic marketing age brackets, prime purchasing market is likely to be males between 35 and 55, affluent enough to purchase a weekend toy. That's the sweet spot in the population in terms of financial ability to buy a specific purpose vehicle and potential repeat purchases for the company.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Corvette show up in a lot of aspirational ads focused towards the 18-34 crowd in order to serve as a halo car for Chevy. It'll help to generate current sales of lower priced cars and prime the pump for a future Corvette purchase.

Sport car purchases are if nothing else, emotional transactions and it's important that Chevy instill that emotional desire for the Corvette in potential customers years before they are ready to buy one. Emotions generally are not stirred by conservative designs.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 PM
HRS KLR
Instructor

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
I suspect most people with Corvettes have another, more practical car as well. That adds to the cost of owning a Corvette. Something for trips to Home Depot, when it snows, to carry the whole family on vacation...
Just like most people that have a Z4, miata or most other 2 seater cars. They almost always have something else in the garage that is used for these reasons.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_j01
Based on generic marketing age brackets, prime purchasing market is likely to be males between 35 and 55, affluent enough to purchase a weekend toy. That's the sweet spot in the population in terms of financial ability to buy a specific purpose vehicle and potential repeat purchases for the company.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Corvette show up in a lot of aspirational ads focused towards the 18-34 crowd in order to serve as a halo car for Chevy. It'll help to generate current sales of lower priced cars and prime the pump for a future Corvette purchase.

Sport car purchases are if nothing else, emotional transactions and it's important that Chevy instill that emotional desire for the Corvette in potential customers years before they are ready to buy one. Emotions generally are not stirred by conservative designs.
My emotions almost blew the top of my head off when I first viewed the non conservative design of the Aztek.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

The average age of all new car buyers is now 55. Sports car buyers tend to be below that age on average. I doubt that GM is thinking in terms of people in their 20s. 50-year olds would be younger than their average Corvette buyer. When they say "younger" I think they mean anyone under 50. That's not the ONLY target, of course, because they will still need that over-55 demographic. They are trying to broaden the appeal, that's all.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
I have heard it stated in many ways and times that GM is trying to go after the "younger" crowd with the C7. That they are trying to reverse the image of an "old guy's" car, etc. I am curious as to what we think the age group is that GM is after? I am not sure what the absolute cheapest version of this car will cost, but let's say after TTL you aren't escaping for less than $50k. Exactly how many youngsters have this to include insurance? Of course you will find folks in their 20's and even teens, but if you look at the average income across the entire country and I think you come out at about the cost of a Corvette or less. This is someone's ENTIRE income for the year. I don't care if 15 teens jump on this thread saying how they are putting down a deposit, I just cannot fathom there are enough folks in this "younger" bracket to buy up this car no matter how much they may love it. I am not saying GM is targeting teens, but this gets to my question as to what age are we thinking here?

I am 41 now and I bought my C6 when I was 34. Was I in the "young" crowd then? Also, is there something about the C7 that would appeal to a younger crowd than the C6 did? Is this a new strategy that they didn't have at the time the C6 was released? In the end I just don't see GM having done anything different with this C7 in terms of age appeal that they didn't do when the C6 was released. Given the economy is even worse now and the cost of the car will be higher and I just don't see the market as having expanded more with the younger set versus 2005.
Anyone who doesn't use capitalizaion, correct grammar, and punctuation when typing?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Slynky

Anyone who doesn't use capitalizaion, correct grammar, and punctuation when typing?
Well then, sales should skyrocket 3rd quarter 2013.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Well then, sales should skyrocket 3rd quarter 2013.
Which, I guess, is a good thing!

Quick Reply: What is meant by appealing to a "younger" audience?