Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Match?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

+1 for the Senna video...maybe circa 1990..worth watching.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceJB
If you want to see the art of heel to toe by the best driver who ever drove a race car IMO, Ayrton Senna here, enjoy! And he drove that car to the absolute limit!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU
Sweet video. That guy was an icon.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Anyone here drive the Cobalt SS with the 'no lift shift'. Perhaps the programming is in the same vein. As far as track work, I find the fact that the clutch has a dual mass flywheel yet less inertial momentum very interesting. That will be useful and welcomed for H/T (or brake/blip) quickness. I am curious as to how the rev matching will work while negotiating a carousel on the edge and trying to upshift at the rpm limit with so much gear confusion. Perhaps the tranny has solenoids that work in conjunction with the rev matching programming to refuse accidental downshift that results in an over rev condition and, thusly, allows one to remain on the pavement.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 AM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Can anyone confirm what the default setting on this is?

I personally admit my shifting shortcomings.. I am actually very sweet in my own mind.... But I also think I have a full head of hair and a six pack.

Perhaps it's default is always off, unless selected.

I would bet ALL driver preferences will be keyed to their fob.

So as soon as you sit in it, seat position, steering wheel, DIC setting, radio favorites, exhaust sound, ride setting, engine sound, rev match off will all default to exactly what you want.

If this car truly does this ...... Wow!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Anyone here drive the Cobalt SS with the 'no lift shift'. Perhaps the programming is in the same vein. As far as track work, I find the fact that the clutch has a dual mass flywheel yet less inertial momentum very interesting. That will be useful and welcomed for H/T (or brake/blip) quickness. I am curious as to how the rev matching will work while negotiating a carousel on the edge and trying to upshift at the rpm limit with so much gear confusion. Perhaps the tranny has solenoids that work in conjunction with the rev matching programming to refuse accidental downshift that results in an over rev condition and, thusly, allows one to remain on the pavement.

I asked the same thing earlier however, i'm not sure if any of the corvette guys are familiar with the feature. I actually owned a Cobalt SS/TC and that thing was a blast to drive. NLS helped me pull a few cars that were way outside of my class. I really hope we will be able to do this in the new corvette. From my understanding, the NLS feature rev matched you into the next gear, and prevented the loss of boost. Sometimes I miss that car, then I start up my corvette and remember why i upgraded
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yay rev match. It's one of the toughest parts of driving on the track, so I don't do it. My feet can't do the heel toe.

I welcome the addition.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you complain about this feature?

Sure I wouldn't use it, but some may want to. of course you will be able to turn it on and off, they arent complete retards.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys please don't forget that this thing flip flops from V8 to V4, you have exhaust opening and closing, and cam sliding a few deg, all of this adds up to a car that has different personalities. You will need many many hours to get a good feel for all the new tech. I think rev matching will be nice in v4 mode when the exhaust valves are closed and you can't hear the motor and GREAT for the big breaking turn when you drop down two gears like for 4th to 2nd. You can still blip the gas and down shift, just the blip will rev match every time. I personaly have a hard time heal towing down two gears 4th to 2nd. I welcome the rev match.

Last edited by CitationZ06@yahoo; 01-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Outstanding video. Thanks...
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not arguing whether or not it should be on the car, I'm arguing that it should be either off by default or be permanently defeatable via the preferences or at the very least via the key fob or driver select ****..
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
It is not a feature that should be able to be turned off--but a feature that should be turned on by those who want it. That is the default is backwards.
Now that is a proposal I could live with.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm sure it will be included in the features that are set in the driver mode switch, so the default can be whatever anyone wants.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Subw00er

Why not let the computer bring you around the track too with automated GPS steering. Better yet, why not sit in the grandstands and watch computers race cars around the track. That would be just as fun, right?!
But I gather you have accepted the idea of the fully sychronized gear shifter and transmission? Sure made it easier. Maybe your grandfather would have had the same reaction. Let me get this straight....My choice is to either keep atempting to heel toe shift and risk damage or watch computers race cars around the track. Nothing in betwen will suffice for you? And this is because of what? Because you say this technological improvement is bad for us? You must enjoy driving your Stutz Bearcat around the track all by yourself for I think that's how far back you would have to go to drive a truly non-technologically improved automobile. GET A GRIP!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

If you want to see the art of heel to toe by the best driver who ever drove a race car IMO, Ayrton Senna here, enjoy! And he drove that car to the absolute limit!

Nice video and great illustration! That's why he got the BIG BUCKS!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess I should have clarified my position even further. If they want to provide this feature for those who'd like to use it, no problem. But, for the rest of us...we don't want to have to turn the feature off every time we get into our cars, we want to have to turn the feature on if we want to use it.

This reminds me of the cruise control on my '07 Jeep. For some reason, with all Chryslers, you have to activate the cruise control every time you get into your vehicle. I'm a guy who uses cruise an awful lot, so I have tried to develop the additional habit of activating the cruise control as soon as I start the car...every time! But I sometimes have something on my mind during the start up process and end up pulling away without activating the cruise. Then, once I'm in traffic, I hit the "set" button...and the car slows down. In traffic. I don't know if Chrysler is worried about some imaginary liability issue with leaving the cruise on, or what. But it's just an unnecessary P.I.T.A. I've had several VW daily drivers that have all had hard switches for the cruise: on/off. I turn on the switch when I take delivery of the car and never touch it again. And I've never had a problem.

So, I'm hoping that GM thought this through carefully and decided to have the ARM activate only when the "Sport" button gets pushed, or "Competition" mode is activated, or something like that. Or, it could even be a stand-alone feature that is user selectable somewhere in a menu. Just so I don't have to deal with it again after I first get the car and shut it off...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I can never understand why people hate new technology, never having even used it? Now where is the crank to start the engine? Darn electric starter, not needed, just extra weight.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM
rmarks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how do you guy s feel about calculators vs pencil and paper arithmetic?

Get notified of new replies

To Rev Match?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
nevillej
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Batman 357
The pedals might not be well positioned for heel toeing. I thing that is a liability thing.
Wondering if anyone has changed the pedals on their car to some offered that are wider on the accelerator pedal towards the floor to facilitate heel/toe shifting. I have size 13 shoes so it is a bit difficult for me, something I need to practice on a lot more. I think it is a great feature especially for some people that may have numerous reasons for not being able to perform this well. For the Pro's out there Congrats!, you can shut it off. In watching the video it seems it is more being fantastic at moving his feet off the brake and onto the accelerator vs. heel/toe where your heel blips the accelerator pedal, obviously you can perform the task by being very co-ordinated and talented which I'm not.

Last edited by nevillej; 01-17-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

How can you expect a guy who wears white socks with brown loafers to know anything about driving? I'm kidding. Thanks for the video; I'd never seen any video of Senna driving anything but open wheeled cars.

BTW, has anybody else noticed that the throttle on the C7 pivots from the floor? This would be an improvement, IMO, since it will mean the throttle pivots in an arch the same as the foot, giving a little better throttle control I hope.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,391 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Subw00er

Why not let the computer bring you around the track too with automated GPS steering. Better yet, why not sit in the grandstands and watch computers race cars around the track. That would be just as fun, right?!
So, I assume you pull the fuse on your ABS system so you can feel more engaged in the driving experience while threshold braking?

Relax, folks. First, it's an improvement for the vast majority of folks that like to autox/track our cars. Second, rev matching is a small (but quite satisfying part) of the whole "at the limits" experience. Brake points, turn in, trail braking, track out, have *zero* to do with rev matching. Third, unless someone has something I haven't heard/read about, we don't know what the rev match default is. I *assume* it'll default "On", but we don't know what we can/can't set.

I've just got to figure out how to to wait the 5 years or so until I can afford my C7!

Have a good one,
Mike

Quick Reply: Rev Match?