Sponsored by:

C7 comments from Automotive News

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C7 comments from Automotive News

Despite being a target for attacks by industry enthusiasts, the Corvette continues to perform at the top of its segment with regards to residual values. A fresh design combined with Corvette's value oriented price point for the segment will continue to support strong residual values."

-- Eric Lyman, vice president of editorial at ALG

"The seventh generation Chevrolet Corvette ... a 450-horsepower high-tech American sports car that says as much about GM in the post-bankruptcy era as any financial spreadsheet or marketing campaign."

-- Joann Muller of Forbes.com

"The 2014 model will again have a pushrod V-8 engine in its nose, driving the rear wheels. That conservative approach might be seen as a timid compromise from a company that has just begun to get back on solid financial footing. But the front-engine, rear-drive layout has long defined the Corvette, and this car, like its C6 predecessor, may well show its taillights to cars with specs that more closely conform to what is considered state of the art. While automakers are quick to toss around the words "all new" to describe their latest offerings, however warmed over they might be, in this case the term is justified -- the 2014 Corvette shares only two parts with its predecessor ... The C7 Corvette's styling is in keeping with the brand's persona, yet it projects a more aggressive image than previous generations."

-- Paul Stenquist of The New York Times

"The Chevrolet Corvette is 60 years old this week, and that's a miracle. Many miracles, in fact. The iconic American sports car has survived a troubled birth, quality problems and development delays. it has overcome threats from recessions and regulations. And it has outlasted waffling by Chevy parent General Motors over whether such a car should exist at all. It appears, through all that, to have become younger than ever."

-- James R. Healey of USA Today

"If you really want to transform this company from just playing it kind of four-corner stall, as they say in basketball -- but go on offense, you are going to have to take some risks. It's a statement about American ingenuity -- it's about technology and, frankly, our risk-taking. This is the first car that was designed start to finish-post ... [The new Corvette] is a balanced risk … that speaks volumes about the brand and the company."

-- GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson, in The Detroit News
"A lot is riding on this Corvette. I actually believe that they're going to get a bump in consideration across all models."

-- Alexander Edwards, president of San Diego-based consulting firm Strategic Vision's auto division

"The new Corvette manages to incorporate enough familiar design cues to satisfy the Corvette faithful while finding ways to evolve the design and give Chevrolet a chance at capturing buyers who might otherwise be considering more-expensive sports cars like the Nissan GT-R and Porsche 911."

-- Mike Hanley of cars.com

"The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left. Because the Impala, I love it, but I was there to supervise it. The Cadillac ATS, car of the year, I supervised that one, too. The Corvette I did not supervise. And what that tells me is that the philosophy of focusing on product excellence and spending more if necessary and the drive to be as perfect as you can possibly be and better than the other guys, that has survived my departure. And I was a little bit worried that it wouldn't ... that the company would slip back ... and I'm happy to see that hasn't happened."

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

"Corvette history is full of body and interior freshenings being passed off as new cars. Even the fifth and sixth-generation Corvettes share much more than a passing resemblance. But this seventh-gen Corvette (aka C7) shares just two parts with the outgoing car, while remaining true to the car's 21st-century persona. This is a new machine. The core formula remains unchanged, with wedge-like styling, beefy V8 up front driving the rear wheels, and two seats in a form-fitting cabin. However, it is sharpened at every corner. The C7 looks more modern, even ready to transform into an Autobot. The lines, vents, flares, and lights all give the car a more premium appearance."

-- Jeff Bartlett, in Consumer Reports

Retooled Chevy Corvette guns for new generation of enthusiasts

8:33 PM on 1/14/2013

BOY, WHAT A BEAUTY! THE TOTALLY NEW 2014 CORVETTE IS AWESOME, AND SHOWS AMERICANS AT THEIR COMPETITIVE BEST! THIS AUTOMOTIVE WORK OF ART COMPETES EASILY WITH THE FOREIGN SPORTS CAR, AND AT HALF THE PRICE-- IN FACT-- IN REGARDS TO ASTON MARTIN, ABOUT ONE-FOURTH THE PRICE!

3:12 PM on 1/14/2013

BOLDEST DESIGN SINCE THE C2. In an international automotive sea of milquetoast makeovers GM sends a message that they are not at the plate to bunt. Clearly a North American design home run. Accolades to the GENERAL!

8:46 AM on 1/14/2013

This is an awesome car. Too bad your attitude that only the "chosen" dealers can offer it dampens the event. I would imagine that those rural dealers include many family stores that have been around for generations. They represent the true Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolet part of Americana. If a small family store wants to floor a Corvette, let them. They've earned the right to be a full line dealer. You expect them to step to the window when you want orders for slow movers but now you've decided that they don't measure up to offering the halo car of the division. What are you thinking?

8:33 AM on 1/14/2013

It's a delight to see a new Corvette that looks distinctly different - and arguably more expensive-looking - from the outgoing model, but I find it truly undemocratic that only bigger volume Chevy dealers will be able to sell it from here on in. To me, this is a betrayal of basic Chevrolet values, and strikes me as something that could truly compromise Corvette sales in rural areas where it was really the only game in town. Whenever I've traveled to West Virginia or Eastern Kentucky, for example, I've always been fascinated to see how the Corvette is one of the few "prestige" cars you actually see on the road.

Quick Reply: C7 comments from Automotive News