Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default USA Today 2014 Corvette not for average Joe

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveo...scale/1852227/

(Photo: Paul Sancya AP)
TAGS
Detroit
No question about it, the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was the hit of the North American International Auto Show. But aside from the emotional reaction, we're only starting to realize why.

Chevy is taking it upscale.

"It was our intent to make the car more premium," says Kirk Bennion, experior design manager for General Motors. We're weren't achieving what we (needed) on the luxury-sport side of Corvette."

Translation: The present-day Corvette is viewed too much as the sports car of the average guy. Nothing wrong with that, unless you want your iconic car to be considered a worthy competitor to the Porsche 911s of the world. The target customer for Corvette is a man in his 40s with a household income in excess of $150,000. Collectors, those with three to five 'Vettes of various vintages, are key buyers for them as well.

The need to go more upscale, which almost certainly means commanding a higher price, is underscored by the detailed work that GM designers and engineers pouring into the new 2014 Corvette. The process of the creation of the new Corvette, a top priority within GM with a lot of hands involved, was explained last week in Detroit at the Autoweek Design Forum, a symposium on car design presented by the automotive weekly magazine.

For instance, the Corvette has always looked great on the outside. Now it looks even more so, with lots of little touches -- some of them controversial, like moving away from round taillights -- to improve it. But the big story on the new Corvette is its lush new interior.

A design competition within GM for the new 'Vette drew 300 sketches. No wonder. A lot is at stake.

"It's really important for Corvette to be the global icon of Chevrolet," Bennion says.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69

TAGS
Detroit
No question about it, the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was the hit of the North American International Auto Show. But aside from the emotional reaction, we're only starting to realize why.

"It was our intent to make the car more premium," says Kirk Bennion, experior design manager for General Motors. We're weren't achieving what we (needed) on the luxury-sport side of Corvette."

Translation: The present-day Corvette is viewed too much as the sports car of the average guy. Nothing wrong with that, unless you want your iconic car to be considered a worthy competitor to the Porsche 911s of the world. The target customer for Corvette is a man in his 40s with a household income in excess of $150,000. Collectors, those with three to five 'Vettes of various vintages, are key buyers for them as well.

The need to go more upscale, which almost certainly means commanding a higher price, is underscored by the detailed work that GM designers and engineers pouring into the new 2014 Corvette. The process of the creation of the new Corvette, a top priority within GM with a lot of hands involved, was explained last week in Detroit at the Autoweek Design Forum, a symposium on car design presented by the automotive weekly magazine.

For instance, the Corvette has always looked great on the outside. Now it looks even more so, with lots of little touches -- some of them controversial, like moving away from round taillights -- to improve it. But the big story on the new Corvette is its lush new interior.

A design competition within GM for the new 'Vette drew 300 sketches. No wonder. A lot is at stake.

"It's really important for Corvette to be the global icon of Chevrolet," Bennion says.
yes, except for the fact, that they have mentioned oh about a 100 times now, that if you can afford the c6 you can afford the c7. So yes, the car is upscale. I think it rivals in looks of the ferrari for a fifth of the price. Seems like a winner to me.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree, it is a winner. The haters hate the Camaro like tail lights but I want to see it in person. It will be more than the C6 but not much. The interior work alone will add to the price. I will gladly trade in my 2008 for a 2015. That first model year thing.........
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 69

TAGS
Detroit

I noticed he didn't include high schoolers, or 20-30-40 year olds making $12-$15/hour, or 50 year olds with two kids in college and two in public school and a hefty alimony payment each month, even though they make $150K as the target market for the C7.

But he did include me. An old fart and one of "......those with three to five 'Vettes of various vintages, are key buyers for them as well."

Maybe I do count in the grand scheme. Now if they would only design the C7 that I like, not what a high schooler likes.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-21-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

I understand the idea but I would love to see a 1LT that was lightweight with minimal luxuries. A true base car at a reasonable price. And then walk it up from there to a high end ultra luxury model.

There are just so many 40 year olds making 150k a year out there.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I think the base cost will be close, BUT options will cost a lot more. Kind of sneaky don't you think?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Jay Leno, the ultimate car guy "gets it"..!

Speaking about his 2002 c5 z06

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/c...tml#item=66583

[/I]Over the years, Corvette has worked hard to earn its reputation as the working man's supercar.[/I]
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I think the base cost will be close, BUT options will cost a lot more. Kind of sneaky don't you think?
I am sure that if you want what they have shown us the price will be up there say around $70-$75K Maybe even a little more . I will be fun to see once they list the MSRP and to Option list prices. Can you imagine once the performance model (what ever that is) hits the street. It maybe pushing the 6 figure range.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BWF07
I am sure that if you want what they have shown us the price will be up there say around $70-$75K Maybe even a little more . I will be fun to see once they list the MSRP and to Option list prices. Can you imagine once the performance model (what ever that is) hits the street. It maybe pushing the 6 figure range.
Im guessing the 3LT will come in around the $75 - $80K
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

This is the best kind of press Chevrolet could ask for. Let's the media convince the public that this Corvette is unlike any before it, and is very upscale.

Keep up the PR, GM.

Michael
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Kreuzen
Im guessing the 3LT will come in around the $75 - $80K
No way. That is what a gut loaded GS convertible list for now with 4LT. You are $10,000 too high. Too take it a step further, that gut loaded GS convertible has had $10,000 discounts on it for the past few years and Corvette sales are still in the toilet.

If for some chance you turn out to be right, I'd be looking for a new job if I worked in Bowling Green. Corvette would never survive at that sort of pricing. GM knows better.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

there are a lot more 30-50 year olds making well into six figures than you think. most spend it differently though than on cars like corvettes.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Minimum $150k...that's interesting, didn't someone else here say the average Corvette buyer earns between $80-$100k?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The car looks fantastic an I think they are going to do a great job of attracting their target audience, with the exception of those who feel unjustly betrayed by GM because they are trying to adjust the market to whom the C7 appeals.
S.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I understand the idea but I would love to see a 1LT that was lightweight with minimal luxuries. A true base car at a reasonable price.
What, like my 2011 Coupe 1LT, aka Poverty Package? $42k street price at the time, less than some of the Suburbahoes on the lot, and I still can't believe how much car I have for the money. If the C7 1LT goes for $45-47k after the initial feeding frenzy, that is an incredible value--CF hood and roof, more horses, more torques, impressive interior, sharper steering and handling, aluminum frame, increased efficiency (I got 33mpg per DIC from NC to Cleveland, and 31 from Cleveland to BG and back to NC), five driving modes, stronger crashworthiness, and decent seating, then that's the deal of the century. But still no HUD.

And then walk it up from there to a high end ultra luxury model.
What, like the Z-somethings we always see within a couple years of the generation change? Have faith; have patience.

There are just so many 40 year olds making 150k a year out there.
Even if that's what Chevy is aiming at, you don't have to pull 150k to score a base coupe, not nearly. Sheesh, I've been offered a ZR1 on "stated income." Could have left with it that day. Glad I didn't though, I would have had to sell the house and live in the car.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What we been saying all along. It is not going to market to the younger set. THEY
can not afford it. Heck they do good to finance a Hyundai.

And the average middle age Joe, can't afford a $60K plus car either. So they need
to be honest, its for the richer younger, successful middle age guy. What "new"
corvettes have always been. Used (several years) old is for the average joe. So
the average young and old is C6 market material not C7.

When the average joe, finally buys the used C6 and coming used C7, can they afford
to keep it running. A friend went with me 2 years ago for the vettes last oil change,
Close to $100. He was like what the ****. Told wait till I take the Bimmer in !!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM
chiromed0
Advanced

yeah, bunch of bull crap. I agree with jschindler. That's their marketing tag line, "if you can afford a c6 you can afford the c7". That just sounds ridiculous that their marketing target is someone making $150K/yr. I don't and I've got a 2013 C6GS 1LT (added 3LT stuff). At any rate if I made $150K/yr I'd be driving a ZR1 not a base Vette.

I think it will probably be around $57K for a base b/c you are getting more than what my GS model has and can do. They are eliminating the need/want for a GS type model anyway. I doubt seriously they will NOT want to make a Z06/R1 type variants. This car looks great but if I'm spending $80K plus then I'm not just looking for a base model Vette and I'm not that far away from a looooottt of other sports cars. I say optioned w/2LT right at $60K.

I'll have to wait a few years b/4 I'd swap out but damn....that does look real nice.

Get notified of new replies

To USA Today 2014 Corvette not for average Joe

Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the working man's supercar is a cool niche and I hope it stays there, more-or-less.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jschindler
No way. That is what a gut loaded GS convertible list for now with 4LT. You are $10,000 too high. Too take it a step further, that gut loaded GS convertible has had $10,000 discounts on it for the past few years and Corvette sales are still in the toilet.

If for some chance you turn out to be right, I'd be looking for a new job if I worked in Bowling Green. Corvette would never survive at that sort of pricing. GM knows better.
We'll see -
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 PM
J18369
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09, '14

Bought my first new Vette at 21 while making a little under 50, granted it was only a 1LT and 40k. I had no issue paying it off in a couple years and being a new homeowner. But not much has changed with my work situation due the economy, except for the fact I own my house now. I don't really see a problem with affording the C7, I sold my C6 and have plenty to put down and I'll be waiting to get around invoice.

Young people can afford a Corvette if they make the correct decisions in life and stay out of debt. It may mean avoiding some recreational activities like going to bars on Friday night, but it's no problem. On the bright side, I was only paying $100 a month for insurance as well.

My dealer was selling grand sports at invoice (50k flat) when they first came out, but I'm figuring I'll be Vetteless a few more years.

I'll be aiming for a 2LT this time around, but I wouldn't pay more than 55-60.

Last edited by J18369; 01-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.