I predict the c6 will become the c2 of our time...if that makes sense\
Not really
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

Here is another "dated car".

I do like the direction of the new design, but this car is staying around for a very long time. If the performance model looks close to the one posted on this forum, I will strongly consider it down the road, but the current Z06 is going no where.

Jawnathin - the prior pics of your car almost convinced me to buy those HREs in that finish. At the last moment, I did a 180 and went with ADV.1. Either way, sweet ride you got.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

I don't think "dated" is always meant as a negative. It simply defines a time period. The C6 will always be a beautiful car no matter what comes after it. The latest and greatest is always exciting, but wait a few years and see if the C7 design holds up as well. It may, but with so many quirky design details, it may look "out of step" fairly quickly. I certainly wouldn't call it a classic at this point....it lacks a certain clarity of vision.....a bit too busy in spots IMHO. Having said that, I absolutely plan on buying one, but I will not give up my C6 convertible, which I love more every time I drive it.

In comparing the two cars below, I couldn't say the C7 blows the C6 away. The C6 is a muscular, "clean" design...which is why the similar proportioned Ferrari 599 looks better than C7: the design is more restrained. Sometimes less really IS more.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm94
Here is another "dated car".

I do like the direction of the new design, but this car is staying around for a very long time. If the performance model looks close to the one posted on this forum, I will strongly consider it down the road, but the current Z06 is going no where.

Jawnathin - the prior pics of your car almost convinced me to buy those HREs in that finish. At the last moment, I did a 180 and went with ADV.1. Either way, sweet ride you got.
Thanks bud! Appreciate the kind words.

Your car is a beauty and makes a strong argument for the Halltech hood. Funny enough, we sort of switched places... I don't recall the exact model, but I was looking at a set from ADVs and then changed my mind once the Concave line from HRE was announced. I would have been happy either way as you can't go wrong with a quality set of wheels.

Anyway, you bring up another interesting point. I feel exactly the same way about the C7. I am genuinely excited for the new car and open to owning a performance variant of a C7 in the future, but the C6Z isn't going anywhere.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 PM
pmartjr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I parted with two "dated" classics to buy my 427 convertable. One a 17 year old Acura NSX and the other a 1965 Corvette fuel injected convertable. Both had been labelled as dated for many years but both were considered by everyone to be "timeless classics." As I've stated in past posts, this one car satisfies the driver emotion that both the former two did for me. I feel I bought an instant "timeless classic." Dated?...most likely. Timeless classic?...most certainly!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Well, the rear end of the Aztek has withstood the test of time.

People hated it then. People hate it now.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
bojive
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
It takes a long time for a Corvette to appear dated. That is why the car has lasted 60 years with only 7 different designs. You can rest assured every Corvette model will turn heads even after all of us are long gone and 6 feet under.
You got that right. I turn my head if I see I stock 84 crossfire or a 200 hp 77 vette if u love vettes then they all look good. And this new c7 will someday look old to. A c6 zo6 or zr1 grand sport will allways look bad ***. Because they are and no one can change that if your a corvette lover!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Does the '57 Chevy make the '56 look dated?
Does the '56 make the '55 look dated?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boraxman
The overall package of the C6 reminds me a lot of the C2 too.
Like a classic, but not yet old enough to be outdated because it's so new still.

And as far the C7 goes, there seems to be a wider divide than usual.

The Appleheads for example, appear overwhelmed by the new gadgets.
While most of the true Gearheads who don't live in Tweeterville 24/7,
sound much more concerned about the rear & some added intrusions from the computer.

Plus something else is strange, there seems to be an awful lot of C7 posters trying a little too hard
to convince everyone else how great the C7 is?

I mean don't get me wrong - I think the C7 is alright too.

But does it make every other car before it look old?
Is it the most dramatic changeover in Vette history?

Not hardly! That title probably belongs to the C4.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
In comparing the two cars below, I couldn't say the C7 blows the C6 away. The C6 is a muscular, "clean" design...which is why the similar proportioned Ferrari 599 looks better than C7: the design is more restrained. Sometimes less really IS more.
Spot on! I don't hate the C7, but at first impression it is a bit busy for my taste. I like the cleaner lines of the C6. I've always been a bit of a less is more guy. With the series of 4th gen Camaros I have owned, I always concentrated on improved power and performance over visual mods. I liked my cars to have a clean, almost stock, appearance but be packing far more power than stock under the hood. A little bit of the "sleeper" theme if you will. To me, my ZR1's appearance is a bit "in your face" aggressive, but I love it.

Originally Posted by 85scott

Plus something else is strange, there seems to be an awful lot of C7 posters trying a little too hard
to convince everyone else how great the C7 is?
Again, spot on! The members here who profess instant and unrestrained love for the C7 seem to be very intolerant of any criticism. I know, I have already crossed swords with a couple!

It's like they want to force everyone to love it. That kind of fanaticism makes me recoil a bit.

I think it's cool the Chevrolet had the stones to release a fairly radical redesign, but sorry fanatics, parts of it still have yet to grow on me.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Here's another 'dated' C6...................but I don't mind being seen in it!

And YES, I like the C7.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 01-18-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheSaint
I do not think this wide bodied C6 looks dated. I think this car looks really mean
nah, old and tired, and I hate those round lights at the back .
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joe B.
Does the '57 Chevy make the '56 look dated?
Does the '56 make the '55 look dated?
yes very much so. What a silly question
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OnPoint
It's funny, when the C4 came out, I didn't like it at all. And didn't like it for years after. Now 20-some years later, I wouldn't mind having a pristine C4 Grand Sport.

But that one took a looonnggg time to grow on me.
yes, other than the fact its impossible to get in the car if you are over 6 ft tall, and that they rattle like crazy, they are ok.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 85scott

The Appleheads for example, appear overwhelmed by the new gadgets. While most of the true Gearheads who don't live in Tweeterville 24/7, sound much more concerned about the rear & some added intrusions from the computer.

But does it make every other car before it look old?
Is it the most dramatic changeover in Vette history?

Not hardly! That title probably belongs to the C4.
Sorry, disagree with some of your comment. Appleheads? I don't even own a smart phone. I appreciate the interior improvements, but the only new gadgets that have caught my fancy are those devoted to the performance of the car. Those features a "Gearhead" would focus on. Not the shape of the tail lights, the size of the screen, etc.

I do agree that the C7 does not make the C6 look dated in a negative way. I still think my Torch Red '10 GS is one hot looking Corvette. When I buy a C7, and I will, I'm hoping to swing keeping the GS.

Also, agree with your C4 comment. I made a similar reply in another post.

By the way, I Google Earthed "Tweeterville." No luck. Is it a place worth visiting?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhang
yes, other than the fact its impossible to get in the car if you are over 6 ft tall, and that they rattle like crazy, they are ok.
I'm 6'3" and never had an issue fitting into any the the three c4's I owned. I guess maybe if you're fat it's a problem.

Rattles? Oh yeah......plenty of those. Especially in the '84 Z51.

You forgot flex...take the targa roof off and you could watch the nose twist and feel it in the steering wheel.

But you know what? I still loved those cars.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 PM
F430F1
Advanced

Seeing this one picture last year made me buy the car same day sight unseen and un test driven. The car is fantastic, an auto-x monster and in no way looks dated.

With that said I will look forward to the new top dog C7 when it is available in the next couple of years.....Steve
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To The C6 already looks dated!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
1964vett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boraxman

I own a c2 and a c6 z There both very nice cars but I don't thing the c6's will last 40 years they be a big pile of broke plastic dust just my opinion they defiantly don't make em like they use to
Old 01-19-2013, 02:04 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'3" and never had an issue fitting into any the the three c4's I owned. I guess maybe if you're fat it's a problem.

You forgot flex...take the targa roof off and you could watch the nose twist and feel it in the steering wheel.

20 dollars of weather stripping fixes the rattle problem. You just have to put some rubber love on the targa itself and the rattles pretty much stop instantly. At least it did for my 89. It also stopped that ever persistent leak around the targa bolts upfront and knocked out a ton of wind noise.
Something must have been very wrong with that C4 to twist that much. The Targa is not supposed to be that critical of a structural element to the car's rigidity. It's supposed to float on the gaskets. (which you need to supplement with some weatherstripping on the top itself)

Also, more on topic. I don't think the C6 looks dated at all. Just like the C4, C5 and C3 don't. At least not dated in the negative sense of the word. A negative dated car would be something like the Aztek, or a 90s Malibu, or a Geo anything.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-19-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm only 5'8" and 135 lbs. Getting in and out of my dad's '86 vert, '88 coupe, and '96 Vert is no fun for me. Of course, my body has been banged up from a few injuries and half the time, makes me feel 60 instead of 32. The c4 is not for everyone, ergonomically. The c5 was a dream for me in that way, and the reason why I've been in the Corvette scene this long.

Regardless, I still wave to every C4 I see.

Quick Reply: The C6 already looks dated!