C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are people so blinded by the "camaro lights" to realize what the c7 is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Brock63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
Literally every other post i see is " omg camaro taillights.. omg i hate it.. it looks like a camaro.. omg the car is ruined because it has camaro taillights.. omg it looks like a new camaro". Are people forgetting both cars are chevys flagship cars? Did people forget that in 1998, they slapped the new ls1 motor from the 1997 Corvette into the 1998 base model z28 without any changes whatsoever? I've never come across a group of people that are so ashamed of a car sharing similarities within its OWN BRAND while being completely blinded of the car they are "hating" on.

People are so stuck up in their own *** crying about how the taillights are now in the same shape group as the Camaro and are completely failing to realize that the new c7 is a masterpiece and has completely pushed the envelope as far as an american made ~55k dollar car is capable of. Looking at the current c6, This new car couldve been the C8 as far as technology goes.

The Corvette and Chevy needed this more than ever. Considering the fact the Fords/Chevy's low end ecoboxs have more refinement and technology than the c6.

I feel there are some that hate the lights...but believe most are just regurgitating what others have already spewed and really have no opinion...or are scared to admit they like them or dont really care. There are a lot of sheeple on internet. I like the C7...in design and technology upgrades. Yes I might have liked the prototype in transformers better.....but I also liked the Z28 Camaro prototype better than what was finally released.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
C6fix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are usually three gripes about the C7 rear design. 1) The lights should be round. Period. 2) The Camaro's tail light design is commonly thought of as the weakest part of the entire car. So why does the new Corvette's tail light design resemble the weakest design element of an inferior model? 3) It's not just the lights. The entire C7 rear is overdone with too many lines, curves and geometric shapes that don't mesh.

It should be obvious to professional designers when something is over-designed, as it is to so many commenting negatively on the rear. I don't think the fact that the lights aren't round is the problem. A simpler, smoother and better rear could have easily been achieved with minor design adjustments as other have said, but it didn't happen. That's what I'm upset about.

Last edited by C6fix; 01-15-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Medic Man
Racer

Originally Posted by sprtplt
If only it was just the back end. How about a big letdown in weight, horsepower, and overall performance gains?

How about the odd lack of innovation when working from being "all new"?

How about the six speed auto trans? What else will be used on the first-year car that was not ready in time?

Unbelievable! More torque, more HP, better mpg, stiffer, lighter, better interior, great seats, under 4 sec 0-60, nothing carried over from the C6.. You're right.. No gains / big disappointment!!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Literally every other post i see is " omg camaro taillights.. omg i hate it.. it looks like a camaro.. omg the car is ruined because it has camaro taillights.. omg it looks like a new camaro". Are people forgetting both cars are chevys flagship cars? Did people forget that in 1998, they slapped the new ls1 motor from the 1997 Corvette into the 1998 base model z28 without any changes whatsoever? I've never come across a group of people that are so ashamed of a car sharing similarities within its OWN BRAND while being completely blinded of the car they are "hating" on.

People are so stuck up in their own *** crying about how the taillights are now in the same shape group as the Camaro and are completely failing to realize that the new c7 is a masterpiece and has completely pushed the envelope as far as an american made ~55k dollar car is capable of. Looking at the current c6, This new car couldve been the C8 as far as technology goes.

The Corvette and Chevy needed this more than ever. Considering the fact the Fords/Chevy's low end ecoboxs have more refinement and technology than the c6.
Because we aren't as smart as you - please have mercy on us dumb folk.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default and

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
I'm surprised they focused on the tail lights looking like Camaro and missed the headlights being lifted from the Ferrari 458 Italia!
stuff from the gt-r and the viper and the camaro too.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Medic Man
Racer

Originally Posted by thirtythird
Even my friends who are Ford guys say it has a Camaro back end. There must be something to it.

Will it prevent some from buying it? Well, sure. If the car looks ugly to them then I see no reason to have to buy an ugly looking car. That is just as valid a reason to spend the money elsewhere as any other.

Nothing compare to the vette for the price!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM
David c6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The biggest problem I see is it makes the C-6 look old and dated! You know what it looks like from the pictures,but seeing it in person might change a lot of opinions,good or bad.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Rich98
Instructor

I went to buy a Camaro yesterday, the salesman backed out the Vette.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the Camaro people should be complaining that they got four stupid coffee cups for tail lights and wishing they had the angry-looking Vette lights.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
well said - . people need to get over it - they are NOT camaro tail lights!
Why? People are still entitled to post their opinions for now. I hate the tail lights. I believe it was a huge mistake. The Corvette is a entire package including the tail lights. All that being said I will most likely have one in my garage once the bugs are worked out and they sell below MSRP. Maybe we will get a 2nd year re-design of the rear.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C6fix
There are usually three gripes about the C7 rear design. 1) The lights should be round. Period. 2) The Camaro's tail light design is commonly thought of as the weakest part of the entire car. So why does the new Corvette's tail light design resemble the weakest design element of an inferior model? 3) It's not just the lights. The entire C7 rear is overdone with too many lines, curves and geometric shapes that don't mesh.

It should be obvious to professional designers when something is over-designed, as it is to so many commenting negatively on the rear. I don't think the fact that the lights aren't round is the problem. A simpler, smoother and better rear could have easily been achieved with minor design adjustments as other have said, but it didn't happen. That's what I'm upset about.
3 is how I feel... and your last paragraph is perfect.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I think it took some ballz to be that bold...and, other than the taillights, I think it's a very exciting design. I'm not sure I'll ever be completely sold on the taillights but I'm already getting used to them. The technology will make a helluva driver's car out of it. I'm very anxious to see what the Z06 brings.

FWIW, in 1970 when the Camaro changed from the 69 design (see my avatar car) I remember a lot of folks crying the blues about how Chevy had eff'ed up the design. When change is big it can take time for folks to appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC

mildly changed rear paint scheme
Close, fill in the trapezoid between the lights with black. Extend red down to line just above exhaust. Obviously looks very flat having been done in MS paint, but IMHO, just a cleaner finish. Even seems to give a lower wider look. The angle of the lights provide the "meanness", no need to overdo it.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Yes, they complained about it. I know, I was on the forum in 1961 and it was all the rage. In fact, Al Gore and I invented the internet that year just to bitch about the Corvair tail lights on the Corvette
And before that, I listened in on short-wave radio when Corvair fans world-wide complained that the look had been lifted from the '58 Biscayne...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Actually there was about a 50 pony difference between the two engines. The Camaro's LS1 had a lesser cam, and a lesser intake manifold.

Also, the current Pretender that's claiming to be a Camaro (more like Fatmaro), is an ugly car. The back end is the ugliest of all the parts on it by a comfortable margin. If anything GM should have been doing it's damndest to pretend the Fatmaro never existed. Not taking styling ques from it.

The C4 and Gen 3 firebird had alot of basic styling ques in common and is fine. Because the Birdy was a sexy looking car to start with.

It's the difference in a pretty girl taking fashion tips from a drop dead gorgeous celebrity, and a pretty girl taking fashion tips from a fat slob that doesn't even bathe.

None of us that are sane is saying the C7 didn't need to happen. What most of us that are sane on the other hand are saying that taking ques from the Fatmaro wasn't a good idea. Especially since the Fatmaro in the next couple of years is supposed to be going to Jenny Craig and getting several bits of plastic surgery to fix the fat that it was dropped from the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Medic Man
Unbelievable! More torque, more HP, better mpg, stiffer, lighter, better interior, great seats, under 4 sec 0-60, nothing carried over from the C6.. You're right.. No gains / big disappointment!!
Don't bet the ranch...we're all mulling over Juechter's "admission" (check other posts for sources) that C7 might be a bit heavier than C6. Probably explains why there was so much careful phrasing of all the weight savings by "syestem," without ever just coming out and saying the car will be "more then XXX lbs. lighter," during the intro...

This would be a far bigger disappointment to me than the busy butt...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Tom T
Burning Brakes

I admit, at first glance Sunday night I was a little disappointed over the Camaro inspired rear lights. Other minor negative is the rear of car looks a little too busy. But that said, I applaud GM for approving a major design change and truly taking Corvette into the 21st Century. Car is more angular and chisled and overall to me looks sportier and meaner. And the more I think about it, round tail-lights wouldn't mesh as well with the angles and lines of the C-7. Thankfully it's not a C6.5, but a true new generation

Get notified of new replies

To Why are people so blinded by the "camaro lights" to realize what the c7 is?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
SoonerC5
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camz28arro
I'm beginning to like the taillights but I still can't get over the rest of the rear just yet. I wish the rear looked more like this which looks cleaner, meaner, and different from the c6.

I love the photo by Patrick Inman posted by CAMZ28ARRO on page 1. To me it shows how the rear end design complements the rest of the car! Some will like it & some will not! That's OK.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
denny48
5th Gear

Default new c7

its a cool car with great exotic body lines especially is it was being introduced in europe with all the euro styling but what happened to instant corvette recognition that the corvette has had for decades.........camaro tailights too and can't put the singray badge on this body as cool is it may be https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...illy_nilly.gif
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

I don't think they are that close...

and for the purists...remember the rear tailights of the 70 Corvette and Camaro

Quick Reply: Why are people so blinded by the "camaro lights" to realize what the c7 is?