Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I submit my opinion for your review

Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Centex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I submit my opinion for your review

I have sat by and read and read .. and I have had enough already -- I am sure this will just disappear within this board as another post that goes in one ear and out the other ... assuming people even read it. That being said everyone is entited to their opinion and this is mine.. so here it goes ///

Every one keeps complaining about the tail lights .. ok ... I understand where you are coming from .. you wanted round. But you got something new - something DIFFERENT and you don't like it. It's true what they say about people fearing change.

Did anyone who "hates them damn camaro tail lights" ever stop to consider that it was not a decision that was just thrown on the the drawing board and one crazy designer goes "THAT WILL WORK .. F IT .. NEXT" ... NO! They (a group of MANY designers) submitted draft after draft, and I'm 100% sure some of those early designs had round tail lights. And I am sure they showed many different designs to study groups to see what they thought and got feedback and/or voted or took suggestions even. The point is that it was not a design queue that was come by as quickly, easily and half-assed as many of you seem to think it was .. I assure you it was not. I also know/believe that there were some designers that said the same thing that many of you have BEEN SAYING... however at some point it was agreed that maybe a little change IS A GOOD THING. AND YES i know you are saying "they just copied the camaro tail lights" .. and I say NO they did NOT !

Those lights are what WORKS WITH THAT DESIGN - WITH THAT FRONT, WITH THOSE LINES AND WITH THAT SIDE/QUARTER VIEW.

You have to look at them (the tail lights) in the context of THE WHOLE CAR .. and as a whole THEY WORK .. THEY LOOK GOOD.

If you were to take JUST the back end shot with the tail lights and showed it to anyone on this forum I have no doubt they would have a negative reaction (even the ones that like them now) .. me included. But I say again when mated with the WHOLE design they work .. and work well. I believe GM has submitted a beautiful, new, bold, and sexy example of what a car can be ... and I can't wait to own one when they come out.

I have had two corvettes and love the car and its history - and am proud to say I own one. That being said I have shown the new c7 design to all of my friends and family who do not even know what c7 vs c6 means... and EVERYONE LOVES THE CAR - they say how amazing and how beautiful it looks, and thats because they are looking at the whole car for the first time and taking it in as a single work of art .. not taking it apart piece by piece.

Thats my honest opinion and I'm sticking to it. Thank you for listening and every one is entitled to their opinion but can we please move on.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 AM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Centex
Every one keeps complaining about the tail lights .. ok ... I understand where you are coming from .. you wanted round. But you got something new - something DIFFERENT and you don't like it. It's true what they say about people fearing change.
For me personally it's not about the tail lights not being round, it's that they pulled a design element from the Camaro. I believe the Corvette is the only "Chevy" vehicle that doesn't have a chevy emblem anywhere on it. Almost as if it was always intended to be a brand of its own. So I guess the corvette snob in me doesn't want anything "Chevyesq" on my Corvette.

Now, having said all that, it doesn't REALLY bother me that much. It's just something to poke fun of at the moment. However what I find more dissapointing is that it actually may end up heavier than a base C6. The aftermarket will probably allow me to change out the tail lights if I want, but the weight issue is a lot harder. Was really hoping for a sub 3100 lbs Corvette!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Centex
Racer

Originally Posted by 96CELT4
For me personally it's not about the tail lights not being round, it's that they pulled a design element from the Camaro. I believe the Corvette is the only "Chevy" vehicle that doesn't have a chevy emblem anywhere on it. Almost as if it was always intended to be a brand of its own. So I guess the corvette snob in me doesn't want anything "Chevyesq" on my Corvette.

Now, having said all that, it doesn't REALLY bother me that much. It's just something to poke fun of at the moment. However what I find more dissapointing is that it actually may end up heavier than a base C6. The aftermarket will probably allow me to change out the tail lights if I want, but the weight issue is a lot harder. Was really hoping for a sub 3100 lbs Corvette!
.. wow you read my mind - the weight issue is what actually upset me as well .. i was really hoping it would be under 3100lbs at least .. haha.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 AM
TorqueDriver
Instructor

I have sat by and read and read .. and I have had enough already -- I am sure this will just disappear within this board as another post that goes in one ear and out the other ... assuming people even read it. That being said everyone is entited to their opinion and this is mine.. so here it goes ///

Did anyone who "hates them damn camaro tail lights" ever stop to consider that it was not a decision that was just thrown on the the drawing board and one crazy designer goes "THAT WILL WORK .. F IT .. NEXT" ... NO! They (a group of MANY designers) submitted draft after draft, and I'm 100% sure some of those early designs had round tail lights. And I am sure they showed many different designs to study groups to see what they thought and got feedback and/or voted or took suggestions even. The point is that it was not a design queue that was come by as quickly, easily and half-assed as many of you seem to think it was .. I assure you it was not. I also know/believe that there were some designers that said the same thing that many of you have BEEN SAYING... however at some point it was agreed that maybe a little change IS A GOOD THING. AND YES i know you are saying "they just copied the camaro tail lights" .. and I say NO they did NOT !

Those lights are what WORKS WITH THAT DESIGN - WITH THAT FRONT, WITH THOSE LINES AND WITH THAT SIDE/QUARTER VIEW.

You have to look at them (the tail lights) in the context of THE WHOLE CAR .. and as a whole THEY WORK .. THEY LOOK GOOD.

If you were to take JUST the back end shot with the tail lights and showed it to anyone on this forum I have no doubt they would have a negative reaction (even the ones that like them now) .. me included. But I say again when mated with the WHOLE design they work .. and work well. I believe GM has submitted a beautiful, new, bold, and sexy example of what a car can be ... and I can't wait to own one when they come out.

I have had two corvettes and love the car and its history - and am proud to say I own one. That being said I have shown the new c7 design to all of my friends and family who do not even know what c7 vs c6 means... and EVERYONE LOVES THE CAR - they say how amazing and how beautiful it looks, and thats because they are looking at the whole car for the first time and taking it in as a single work of art .. not taking it apart piece by piece.

Thats my honest opinion and I'm sticking to it. Thank you for listening and every one is entitled to their opinion but can we please move on.
Refreshing to read a very level headed post.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I have to say, I thought the rear end design was bad when lookig at the pre-rveal renderings, yet I knew they were just artists drawings and prone to distortion.

The more I look at the rear on the real car, of course in photos, the more I really like it. It really does work with and even enhance the whole package, this of course, my opinion.

But here's what's really bugging me about so much of the feedback on this car. It seems like so many are so wrapped around the axle about this one element that they cannot see any of the really great things this car is bringing to the table. The technology, both in terms of system management and physical function. The racing heritage put into this design. The tremendous use of high quality materials, so sorely lacking in this flagship for so long. When I saw the chief designers talking about this car on stage, I really saw a passion they had about this edition. I mean these guys had tears welling up in their eyes, they were so proud of it. It's like they finally got the green light to make the Corvette as it should've been all along. It was powerful to me.

This Corvette is a huge step forward. It truly is revolutionary in every way. Folks, this is the Corvette you've been waiting your whole life for. I am excited to see where the C7 goes from here. And to dismiss all of this over the fact that the tail lights are not round? Arguing over the tail lights on this car, with everything beautiful about it, is like arguing over the placement of a comma in "War and Peace".

They are not Camaro tail lights, they're Chevrolet signature. They are new, they are definitive, they are Corvette. They will not be mistaken for a Camaro or anything else on the street, no way, no how.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The interweb is filled with people who love to bitch and moan. It's like a free therapy session etc..

Don't sweat this as the new c7 is awesome.

Haters going to hate. Change is a free for all.

Personally I think this new c7 is amazing in design and execution.

The best vette yet!

If I remember correctly this is what happened when the c6 rolled out without popup headlights.

The performance improvements sold everyone who had the coin.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

well, actually it does have a chevy emblem on it. So basically wrong on all counts.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I have to say, I thought the rear end design was bad when lookig at the pre-rveal renderings, yet I knew they were just artists drawings and prone to distortion.

The more I look at the rear on the real car, of course in photos, the more I really like it. It really does work with and even enhance the whole package, this of course, my opinion.

But here's what's really bugging me about so much of the feedback on this car. It seems like so many are so wrapped around the axle about this one element that they cannot see any of the really great things this car is bringing to the table. The technology, both in terms of system management and physical function. The racing heritage put into this design. The tremendous use of high quality materials, so sorely lacking in this flagship for so long. When I saw the chief designers talking about this car on stage, I really saw a passion they had about this edition. I mean these guys had tears welling up in their eyes, they were so proud of it. It's like they finally got the green light to make the Corvette as it should've been all along. It was powerful to me.

This Corvette is a huge step forward. It truly is revolutionary in every way. Folks, this is the Corvette you've been waiting your whole life for. I am excited to see where the C7 goes from here. And to dismiss all of this over the fact that the tail lights are not round? Arguing over the tail lights on this car, with everything beautiful about it, is like arguing over the placement of a comma in "War and Peace".

They are not Camaro tail lights, they're Chevrolet signature. They are new, they are definitive, they are Corvette. They will not be mistaken for a Camaro or anything else on the street, no way, no how.
correct in every way.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Centex, well stated. Can't wait for B G to start building them.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Centex
Racer

thanks for your words guys - I had my ambien in my last night and just had to vent .. LOL j/k ..
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

OP, couldn't agree with you more.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by alanhang
well, actually it does have a chevy emblem on it. So basically wrong on all counts.
Where is it? And this is a serious question. In all the videos and pics I have seen of the C7, I have yet to spot the Chevrolet bowtie anywhere.
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Very good points but this is the Corvette forum where we beat the livin hell out of sometheing and then beat untill it is really dead and then bring it up again and beat it some more.

I realize you may think I am crazy but for those of us that have been around a while like the reveal of the C6, they will know what I mean....... no popup lights, C5.5, then DBS, Z51 badges & etc...

Then wait until a few are out and about and we will be complaining about modifications and drag times .. While the Corvette may change .... nothing changes on the CF
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alanhang
Damn! I always forget there is one hiding on each flag! Guess I was thinking of the word "Chevrolet".

Last edited by 96CELT4; 01-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one will hold my "approval or disapproval" until after I have a chance to see it in person and let it soak in.......
BUT
I do think GM did a great job within the constraints they had to live within.... I also see a lot of "StingRay" looks in the car ... just step back and take a look at the front / lights (eyes), the sides, and the back .. where the tail lights and vents look like the "wings in motion".
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I was appalled at the rear end when it was first shown, but the more I look at it I am not sure it is as bad as many make it out to be. I also think there is a more of the 2009 Corvette Concept rear end in this design then a Camaro.

Granted the Concept cars rear end is very radical, but a close look and I can see some of it in the C7.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM
mrgillies
Pro

If you look at this then look at the C6 (which I have), c6 now looks really dated, albeit its 9yrs old, the current design including the rear end looks fantastic and all balances out. The new Racing green color is my personal favourite.

Get notified of new replies

To I submit my opinion for your review

Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Damn! I always forget there is one hiding on each flag! Guess I was thinking of the word "Chevrolet".

Thanks, I had asked the question also and had forgotten the emblem.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

I love the taillights. A new Corvette should employ groundbreaking, breathtaking new design elements. It should not cling to historical elements for nostalgia's sake. This car has so many stunning features and lines that I can't stop looking at it and examining it. I Think the taillight treatment and shape are very progressive and very stylish. Can't wait to see it on the road
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

It's NOT about the lights being round!!!! It's about the rear looking Camaroish. In fact, they can keep the rear exactly the same and just change the way the Camaro looks. LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I submit my opinion for your review