Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

World Class Interior ? Your thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know, it's clean, angular in the right places, just enough curves to make it comfortable. The center console cover is much more integrated. The driver's seat is more of a cockpit now. The dash is beautiful and looks to be extremely ergonomic.

Not to mention the passenger's "oh sh*t" handle is even in a place where it will do them some good. Form meets function, I like it.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Kratos-TM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interior is much better. But when talking about World Class.....how can you beat exotics which are low production/hand builds with a highly mass produced low cost machine. Realisticly not gonna happen no matter how hard they tried.

Given the massive production, interior is good.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 AM
badass7
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
Interior is much better. But when talking about World Class.....how can you beat exotics which are low production/hand builds with a highly mass produced low cost machine. Realisticly not gonna happen no matter how hard they tried.

Hello!!!! Alright, this is the post that puts it all into perspective! Thank you for opening my eyes to simple logic. Your reply has def put my thoughts on this interior to rest.

The Corvette is what it is, a Supercar at an affordable price. To expect an interior matching that of a Lamborghini Aventador, hand crafted and at limited production would be an unfair comparison. Not to mention at a third of the cost. Im gonna shut my pie hole now and agree this is a great overall product!!

I'm all in !!!

Last edited by badass7; 01-16-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 AM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badass7
Ok, let me reiterate I love the overall look of the c7 including interior upgrade minus the Taillights.

Now, my knock with the interior is that I was expecting more of a design change with the description of "World Class" being thrown around. A change of the layout ie, more elaborate EXTENDED center console like you see in Aventador, new Porsche, R8, NSX concept etc... Aside from premium Materials, the Killer HD Screens, the layout remains THE SAME.

In fact, a similar look with aftermarket upgrades can be achieved as seen below in C6/C5 APSIS interior.

http://www.apsisusa.com/Leather%20Wr...0on%20line.htm
I understand what you're saying. The look doesn't quite present what you're accustomed to when looking at the interiors of the corvettes main competitors. (Cars costing tons more than the corvette, btw...). However, you say you were expecting design changes more like an extended center console. Aren't most those cars mid engined and awd? Just wondering. is because i rarely see front engined setups with extended centers. maybe i just haven't noticed. Not that it matters too much but I don't have a huge problem with the upgraded interior shown. I find it much more suitable to the next generation of vehicles it will be marketing against. Realistically though, I think you're right in a way. The Corvette will probably end up being the best performance value and likely even beat many *supercars* with the flagship models, but will be lacking in terms of interior detail, fit, finish, and design in the eyes of European sports car buyers. (I cannot say until experienced in person). I didn't particularly have a problem with my ZR1 interior, because everything was mostly satisfactory about the car when driven (except the seats. I went to Carravagio for a suede / napa mix. As this was the biggest shortfall of the car IMHO) and boy did that make a world of difference to the driving experience. It was nearly a different car. Really! That doesn't mean I didn't notice things in my car were behind when I'd look at a Porsche or Ferrari, or even a run of the mill BMW... I just didn't care because with the seats, I felt the car was able to hold up to nearly anything I could be frustrated about as soon as I took a drive. Most interiors age quickly on the eyes after a very short time (if your talking strictly design, and not materials.). The original Porsche Carrera GT is one example that looked awesome to me at first, but now is quite annoying and outdated in my opinion.

It happens with many and my opinion is it will happen again with the c7. What is clear though, is that the C7 received a much needed upgrade in an area where even the loyalists were getting concerned with if not just downright annoyed every time they whooped up on a Porsche or Ferrari, only to hear folks snickering about sub-par build quality of their American car. It is less aimed at the loyal, and more so to the new potential market. Just to move it back in the realm of competency again, (among interiors)... The corvette remained competent in other respects... That being said, the digital dash is going to really be key, as it's the most forward thought addition to the update and everything else can change with some sculpting The C7 should be relatively secure in this area without much need for updating for the duration of its production cycle. Not disagreeing, just yapping and adding content to the interior discussion... My opinion is that the vettes can now attract at least a portion of buyers who would have never considered them, due to the lack of innovation or even quality of interior. Even if the quality is not as good as some competition, it's appearing to be leaps ahead of what it was. If when it comes out, that turns out not to be the case, The innovation will capture many people enough to convince them to buy. (Digital dash...) and for all the others, the performance. Which really, is the heart of what the corvette is all about. Keeping true to that is what makes this car worth every penny to those who buy it.

Last edited by CrystalRedMetal ZR-1; 01-16-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The World has lots of class. Low class, but lots of it.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Chappie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A change of the layout ie, more elaborate EXTENDED center console like you see in Aventador, new Porsche, R8, NSX concept etc... Aside from premium Materials, the Killer HD Screens, the layout remains THE SAME.
First I don't think Corvette should take anything from European sports cars. Many Euro interiors and a few US cars have instrument panels that slope away from the driver which to me feels un-intimate (is that a word?). The Stingray interior has some heritage in it and maintains that tight, cozy, aircraft cockpit feel that I like.

Chappie
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 AM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 129 Posts

I think it looks great, not trying to sound like a snob but if anyone has ever ordered a new Ferrari, Aston, and now even Porsche, you know that they get you on the options (a 430 did not even come with power seats) you can easily add 35k in options. I once saw a guy at my local Ferrari dealer take 3 hours to order his car. Just like you expect the interior of the C7 to be better than a Malibu you should not expect to be as good as cars costing 2,3,4 times as much.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 AM
ffvetteman
Drifting

I think the new I interior is stunning. That being said, I never understood the complaints about the interiors. Granted I don't own a C5 or C6 but I have driven both and think the interior was very good. I have a 92 Z and I think the interior in that is great. Hell I drive an 84 daily and think the interior in that is acceptable. The only thing I didn't like on the C5 and 6 were the seats. And not because of the quality but because they did not have the bolstering like the C4 that I like for my aggressive driving style.

Maybe I'm too low class to understand the complaint about the interior.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 AM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

It's almost a carbon copy of the previous generation - 2 seats, stick shift and cup holder in the middle, navigation screen and buttons on the center dash, and omg, even the vents are still in front of the passenger and driver. Damn, what a disappointment...
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 AM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the optional interior.........What do you pay for it?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 AM
mikemote
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

It looks like the black part of the dash is the same material,any comments from people who have actually seen it,I like it regardless
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

I think the listing of interior features/functions is good but I think once it's all put together the execution visually it is a big dissappointment.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts

The pic is the upgraded interior, right? Have we seen a base interior?

The carpeted area starting past the console looks cheap.
The console looks too wide.
Is that a door covering cup holders? Does the door retract all the way down?
The odd jut out at the top center of the dash is part of the "stingray" design, but why design the entire dash to mimic a fish instead of making a cool sports car dash?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, overall I love the car minus the taillights. Now, all this noise about World Class Interior....to me the Layout is essentially the same. Almost like a C5 or C6 Layout with just upgraded materials. Basically you could almost get same look in a c5 or C6 with Leather wrapping and Carbon Fiber.

I was expecting redesigned layout......not just slapping upgraded materials on something we've already seen.
I was expecting a more Cadillac looking interior. I was thinking motorized pop up screens some really cool stuff. What it appears we got was a modernized 1992 C4 interior. The C4 between 1990 and 1994 had almost the same dash layout and a much nicer looking fit and finish better seats etc. than the C5 or C6 ever had. To me they just grafted a C4 interior into the C7 with basic modern instruments of todays technology. I really don't see anything better in the interior than C4 had in the early 90s. I see nothing ground breaking in the C7 interior at all looks like a lot of GM parts bin stuff to me.

Last edited by Jet Streaming; 01-16-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM
billythekid310
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they go back to the "post" mats? Dammit I like my hooks way better. Oh well NBD, just order some lloyd's.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

A change of the layout ie, more elaborate EXTENDED center console like you see in Aventador, new Porsche, R8, NSX concept etc...
Post a picture of an example of what you're trying to explain, because it's not really coming through too clearly. What do you want? A console full of buttons and switches?

jas
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the biggest problem is that we've been introduced to a hideous red interior. It will look much better in other colors.

Get notified of new replies

To World Class Interior ? Your thoughts.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dmporter31
Real carbon fiber? Yes - it's an option. Big deal was made over the "premium materials, etc." at the reveal. HUD shots I haven't seen any of yet. Serious upgrade over the C6's monochrome display is needed. It looks (and is) very long in the tooth although effective. An electrically actuated e-brake is nice and also long overdue IMHO.
They said the HUD will be high def. and multicolor. I thought the interior looked great when seen at the reveal.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ffvetteman
I think the new I interior is stunning. That being said, I never understood the complaints about the interiors. Granted I don't own a C5 or C6 but I have driven both and think the interior was very good. I have a 92 Z and I think the interior in that is great. Hell I drive an 84 daily and think the interior in that is acceptable. The only thing I didn't like on the C5 and 6 were the seats. And not because of the quality but because they did not have the bolstering like the C4 that I like for my aggressive driving style.

Maybe I'm too low class to understand the complaint about the interior.
I am curious as to which interior package the reveal has shown us. I would assume the top of the line. That being said, will people be willing to dump the extra 8-10k into the car to get the top trim, or go for the 1LT, which may not wow us as much.
As an aside, I just purchased a 2013 GS with the 4LT interior and not only is it not cheap, but I find it to be stunning. I see nothing in the new interior, other than more colorful gauges and HUD, that rivals what we already have (Navi probably excluded... thats pretty dated!). I also think the Bose system sounds good.
Maybe I'm too low class to understand, as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM

And then there's this right here.

I have to say, when it comes to designing this car, these folks at GM on this one are some very talented people. Given the framework in terms of budget, target, production limitations and such, it seems they've done a really good job putting this together.

But let's not forget what it is and where it came from and who it's for. This, as previous Vette's is a car that will hold it's own against some of the very best and most expensive cars in the world on a track on Saturday, then take you to work on Monday. In terms of a $60K sports car with it's capabilities and technology, this is about as good as it can get. I give alot of credit to the folks that worked hard getting this one out there. Compared to other cars with this type of performance, this is alot of car for the money folks.

Quick Reply: World Class Interior ? Your thoughts.