Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Europe going to laugh at us?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 AM
kanerogers
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The day I care what top gear thinks about Corvette is the day I care what they think about anything else.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 AM
Jai 302
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
Having spent 14 years of my life living and working in Europe (Germany, Croatia and Italy), I can tell the OP that he's wrong. There are more avid Corvette fans in those countries than you can even imagine. They love Corvettes. I've seen Corvette rallies in Prague where literally hundreds of Vettes gathered to share their rides...they certainly came close to what you see at Carlisle.

I drove the autobahns, autostradas, Nurburgring, Hockenheim, Franciacorte and tons of twisties in the Alps and, trust me, they didn't laugh at MY 02 C5, mildly modded. Matter of fact, everywhere I parked the car there was an instant car show. When we visited the Ferrari Museum, guess what car a crowd gathered around in the parking lot...yep, despite plenty of Ferraris, they ogled me and my friends 02 C5s.

A few years back, the LS line of Chevy engines was voted the world's best by 35 top European performance car magazines...after all, 5 or more Lemans victories means something and the Nurburgring is the MEASURE of performance for Germans and we know what the Vette and Viper did there...oops, no Fords in the top 100 runs.

They will love the C7...just wait and see.

Got something against Fords bud? The price of an FGT buys a brand new SRT Viper and Corvette C6 Z06, and I'd like to see just how many people would pick a Vette or Viper over a GT given the choice. Please don't bringe the hate over from the world's lousiest forum Camaro5.

I own a 5.0 Mustang, a couple of Bimmers and soon a red C7 once it's out here in Dubai - so I speak from an unbiased point of view. This guy is full of himself.

Coming back to the Europeans, I got the Bimmer 6-series and plan to get the C7 alongside because they're very different cars. I'd rather have one comfy automatic car with the big badge to cruise around everyday and a fast manual sports car for the weekends. And in my opinion it should be a nice step-up from the 5.0 to the C7 just as it was from the Z4 to the 6er.
Anyone who "laughs" at a C7 is a retard. The car serves a completely different purpose than the garage queens from europe. Besides they'll be too awestruck by it's gorgeous looks to do anything but drool! Love the C7!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Dang, Rune, are you that ignorant?

Population of Europe - 739,000,000 +
Population of USA - 314,616,000

Go check your own link, add up the following country WITHIN EU
Austria 12 , population 8.4 million
Belgium 10, population 11 mill
Denmark 14, population 5.5 mill
Finland 4, population 5,3 mill
France 65, population 65 mill
Germany 102, population 81 mill
Hungary 14, population 10 mill
Ireland 7, population 4.4 mill
Italy 20, population 60 mill
Netherlands 19, population 17 mill
Norway 12, population 5 mill
Sweden 30, population 10 mill
Switzerland 26, population 8 mill

Thats a total of 335 and polulation 290 mill

So who was ignorant, ?
i live in Norway, i have been in almost every country in Europe, i have house in Florida, and visited your country aprox 80 times, i have met alot of nice people in all corner of the world. BUT there is always duchbags that think they are center of universe and everything else is ****.

I take this time to prove your statement wrong, USA is a great country, BUT not superior in any way

Grow up, travel the world and experience
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Gobot
Burning Brakes

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Real question is WGAS?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Go check your own link, add up the following country WITHIN EU
Austria 12 , population 8.4 million
Belgium 10, population 11 mill
Denmark 14, population 5.5 mill
Finland 4, population 5,3 mill
France 65, population 65 mill
Germany 102, population 81 mill
Hungary 14, population 10 mill
Ireland 7, population 4.4 mill
Italy 20, population 60 mill
Netherlands 19, population 17 mill
Norway 12, population 5 mill
Sweden 30, population 10 mill
Switzerland 26, population 8 mill

Thats a total of 335 and polulation 290 mill

So who was ignorant, ?
i live in Norway, i have been in almost every country in Europe, i have house in Florida, and visited your country aprox 80 times, i have met alot of nice people in all corner of the world. BUT there is always duchbags that think they are center of universe and everything else is ****.

I take this time to prove your statement wrong, USA is a great country, BUT not superior in any way

Grow up, travel the world and experience
I agree with much of what you say, but without the superior USA Military keeping the Soviets in check from the late 40s to the 90s Russian would be your first lanuage.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Meanmachine08
Advanced

Europeans already laugh at americans and its not soley with cars. But my question to you is why do you care what they think? Do you think the europeans get online and say geez guys do you think the americans will like the new ferrari? **** NO they could care less if we buy their ****. Most ppl buy it because its a status thing. If it was purely performance related then why are corvettes at half the cost keeping up with them and winning races? Fact is they dont care if we buy their **** and you shouldnt care if they buy ours..you buy what you like and you enjoy it and have fun with it. If you like it then why does it matter?

Youll never be happy with anything as long as you care so much what ppl think and that is life in general.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
I agree with much of what you say, but without the superior USA Military keeping the Soviets in check from the late 40s to the 90s Russian would be your first lanuage.
i agree 100% , but you must add WW2 and Germans, that was the scary part, Russia was more USA big scare

So thank you America, and dont get me wrong, i love US, i grew up with mostly Americans that came here late 60 and learned us to explore our oil.

BUT bashing other country/parts of world and get on his high horse in a Corvette forum, then someone need to set him straight
Ignorance and fear is the source of all evil......

Rune
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I think the C7 is made to look like a Ferrari and GM have been good in doing so, and i am sure they are aiming for the European marked as well
But i can not understand why they continue to make the Corvette with the leaf spring
It is like GM must do it so the Corvette can be criticized

Originally Posted by ryoder
I don't care about making Europeans happy either. I think a smart European would want American cars to look and feel American. I don't want Europeans to redesign their cars to look American. That wouldn't make any sense. Diversity is a good thing.

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-16-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

When you are in the C-7 Corvette going 200MPH and you didn't have to sell the farm to buy it and will run with any Sports car in the world for the money and can chang the oil in the back yard . You can't see it for were you are sitting.. When you get out don't look at it..Just walk away..It goes it's stops it's bad ***..Got to love it.. It's a Corvette..after all..
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Gobot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Meanmachine08
Europeans already laugh at americans and its not soley with cars. But my question to you is why do you care what they think? Do you think the europeans get online and say geez guys do you think the americans will like the new ferrari? **** NO they could care less if we buy their ****. Most ppl buy it because its a status thing. If it was purely performance related then why are corvettes at half the cost keeping up with them and winning races? Fact is they dont care if we buy their **** and you shouldnt care if they buy ours..you buy what you like and you enjoy it and have fun with it. If you like it then why does it matter?

Youll never be happy with anything as long as you care so much what ppl think and that is life in general.

Exactly.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSaint
It is like GM must do it so the Corvette can be criticized
It just like the engine in the back in 911. If they change it, it mean admitting that they were wrong all those years.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

i agree 100% , but you must add WW2 and Germans, that was the scary part, Russia was more USA big scare

So thank you America, and dont get me wrong, i love US, i grew up with mostly Americans that came here late 60 and learned us to explore our oil.

BUT bashing other country/parts of world and get on his high horse in a Corvette forum, then someone need to set him straight
Ignorance and fear is the source of all evil......

Rune
You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own set of facts. When you say the population of Europe, you don't get to pick and choose which countries you personally prefer to include/exclude.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The Ferrari F12 makes over 500lb/ft torque. Actually, it makes more power than any Corvette engine from factory, and more torque than all but 1.

DOHC boxer engines have a very low center of gravity.

The Honda S2000 engines are more reliable than your average Chevy V8, in fact I'd say any DOHC Honda engine.

There are many DOHC engines that have a better output/lb of weight than the LS7, LT1 or any other SBC, the 4.0 Porsche GT3 engine, the Italia engine, the LFA, and a variety of AMG engines.

Why not give credit where credit is due?
The Ferrari F12 also uses a 6.3L V12 and that 500 ft-lbs comes in at 5000rpm. It is a marvel of engineering but they are basically spinning the **** out of it to get those numbers.

GM could easily get more HP/TQ out of their V8. Once the ECU is sorted out, customer cars will be pushing out much higher numbers. GM is constraining the engine for fuel economy, emissions and longevity.

Last edited by chaase; 01-16-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by reactor2
The Corvette was designed to be more "international" but is it?

1.) The gripe a lot of people had is that the car was plastic. The car is still mostly plastic. In fact, places seem to use even more plastic (the rear hatch).

2.) Every "real" sports car uses 4-valve/cylinder engines with overhead cams. The Corvette, is STILL using pushrods with only 2 valves....for a 2014 model. If Porsche had a 6.2 liter you can bet it would be putting out A LOT more than 450 hp.

3.) In some shots it looks like a budget attempt at a super car. It seems to have borrowed looks from multiple different sports cars. It has a little bit of an identity crisis. It's a very busy design and I don't think anyone would argue with that. It also looks like the car got a bit longer. Looks a little awkward in some pics.

4) I don't think the hood vent was designed for down force. I think it is a semi gimmick perhaps. I know the radiator is positioned to be cooled this way but I don't think it will really provide any substantial downforce.

5.) It still uses leaf springs. How much would a proper suspension setup really cost?

It doesn't seem to have addressed the major concerns Europeans had. It looks like GM was trying to do too much with too little. It's a nice car sure, but I don't know if it will be all that well received by Europeans. Any Europeans want to chime in?
1. Whats wrong with plastic? Are you making reference to jeremey clarkson joking about it? He actually owns a C6 ZR1 - the joking is just to make the show. Also how are cars with metal bodies better than carbon reinforced plastics and fiberglass reinforced plastics? With metal body panels the corvette would weigh significantly more.

2. They use the SOHC layout because it works. The cost of the motors is significantly less than the european sports car motors. Have you seen the cost of a gt3 motor? For that much you can have a much more powerful chevy smallblock in racing configuration from the factory racing engine builder katech. The engines are are also lighter without all that extra valavetrain. The ZR1 in the early 90s had a lotus designed quad cam v8 and it was HEAVY. If porsche did have a 6.2l engine I have no doubt it would be 600 to 700 hp, but it would also cost 50 to 70 grand and only be in a 400k car like the carrera gt that sold so well...

3. I have to agree it looks a bit too much like other sports cars. And yes the corvette is supposed to be a budget sports car. Thats the marketing niche they choose to take. Look at the porsche 911: its gone so high in pricing, a Carrera S (which is as slow - or fast whatever way you want to look at it, as a base model C6) costs 100 grand. Now its too expensive for most doctors to own a 911, let alone a retiree or the typical young person who wants something fast.

4. If you look at wind tunnel data and pictures of the C6 at speed you can see there is significant lift at speed. There was even a thread here with some pictures from the nurburgring where you could see the non vented hoods of C6s basically pushing upward, while those running vented hood did not exhibit this issue. Venting the hood will extract air from the engine bay to reduce the lift and also help remove heat buildup. An improperly designed hood vent will allow air inward and actually add to the lift. I highly doubt they overlooked this fact considering how big of an issue of trying to reduce lift was with the c6 and now with the c7.

5. The composite leaf spring system used in corvette was developed by gm to save weight and allow more interior space. The reason most companies use coil springs is that that are cheaper to design with. The reason many racers convert to coilovers is the cost, ease of swapping springs, availability, and sometimes using dual rates per corner (stacking springs of different strengths over the shock body).

BTW I love porsches - If I could afford one Id have a GT2 right beside my vette - but they are ridiculously expensive.

I had many of the same concerns when I first started looking into these cars, but there are legitimate reasons why the chevrolet engineers choose what they do.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by el es tu; 01-16-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by reactor2
1.) I'd prefer carbon fiber for the entire vehicle.
I'm with you in the love of carbon fiber, but i find this obsession and idea that all cars should be made out of carbon fiber a little ridiculous.

to get my point out in simple ways i will put together a pro and con list on a few of my thoughts on how this will effect the corvette.

Pros -
Lightweight
Strong
Nice pattern to see when exposed
overall improves handling and fuel economy

Cons -
Repairs are extremely costly (most will require new parts $$$$)
Production time must be slowed down to a snails pace
Followed by slowed production is lower production #'s
Add another 0 to the price of the car
People would not actually drive/enjoy the car as they would with the current obtain-ability.
Say goodbye to our vast support and tuning community (many can't work with carbon fiber, and with limited #'s they just wont make money as they currently do)
Carbon body means its in a new "league" of cars. So higher expectations.

There are more cons that i can think of but i had to shorten it to end my rant

In a way carbon fiber is cool and amazing, but for an affordable sports car/super car you can drive any day like the corvette it is just a dream. Incorporating carbon fiber here and there is doable, but extensively using it will change everything. It will turn what was once obtainable into a unicorn, something mythical that the closest you will ever get is to one is a poster on a wall.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Well, you know, downshifts are a real thing. Believe it or not, some people do use more than one gear.

If you rev an ls7 to 9k rpm regularly it will break. If you rev an S2000 engine to 9k rpm regularly it won't. It was designed that way. Just because it revs high it does not mean it is less reliable. This is more like chevy fanboy smoke. Ford guys did it too, until they started enjoying going over 7krpm reliably.

I go to track with lots of S2000 guys. Those cars are an engineering marvel. One instructors put more than 120,000 miles on his with regular maintenance tracking nearly every weekend stock in pro groups. I know a guy who put over 300,000 on his engine with no problems, barely on his second transmission. The valve cover needs to come off to adjust the valves every 30k but that's it! It's cheap and effortless.

I look around me on the freeway and the most common cars from the 90s are Hondas. It can't be they blow up all the time. Those who get tuned with ebay parts do...

GT3 is not turbo. You should really check some of the latest dynos on the 4.0. It will blow your mind. The GT2 RS was turbo, but also made LS9 power so...

With the head issues LS7s and LS9s had I don't see how you can make an effective argument that Porsche's are crap. They built their fame on reliable potent sports cars. They've also made a huge contribution to motorsport. Porsche is huge: in terms of making a car with great feedback, performance, reliability, style and quality. When I raced at the Nurburgring they had a Porsche event there for the whole day until 5pm and the next day. Hundreds of Porsches, drivers from all over the world. At Cars and Coffee in California...huge Porsche turnout. At a race in Denmark they had a Porsche only cup using classic Porsches, and they yelled and screamed and performed.

The Corvette can stand on its own 4 wheels. No need to belittle other sports cars and their engineering design to make the 'vette look good.
+1 (well said)
Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
not all of us.....
lmao !

Get notified of new replies

To Is Europe going to laugh at us?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree that the SBC, single cam layout is superior in the weight saving, lower center of gravity and smaller physical size. I like it and it kicks butt on the international scene in competition with overhead camshafts. As far as the single transverse leaf spring, when it was tested to failure for validation the engineers stopped the test after a million cycles with no degradation. Personally, I would not call the vette a budget sports car. I believe most would consider it a sports car innovatively designed and executed for world class performance and comfort delivered at low cost. It simply beats the competition in performance, reliability, comfort and cost.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own set of facts. When you say the population of Europe, you don't get to pick and choose which countries you personally prefer to include/exclude.
Stop beeing an assh***, you came off pointing to how much better you where then the rest of the world. When someone pointed out that you did not have the best education in the world. You came up with another link proving how superior you think you are.

I took each and every country within EU, you might not know it but Europe and EU is not the same. So almost every country is better than US based on capita, Norway with 5 mill people have 14 honers in your link.
Add that up US population and we would have 800 compared to US 335

Get off it, its a Car forum, but someone needed to take your high mighty *** off the horse..., no go and

Rune

Last edited by Z06Norway; 01-16-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I took each and every country within EU,.....

Rune
Well, no you didn't, Rune. The EU consists of 27 countries with a population of over 500 million. So, whether you want to discuss Europe or EU figures, you need to do a little more research.

With a combined population of over 500 million inhabitants,[23] or 7.3% of the world population,[24] the EU, in 2011, generated the largest nominal world gross domestic product (GDP) of 17.6 trillion US dollars, representing approximately 20% of the global GDP when measured in terms of purchasing power parity.[25] The EU was the recipient of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize.[26]

But, I agree, this is way off OP subject. You started the tangent with the disparage of education in the USA and you seem to continue having problems with facts.

Quick Reply: Is Europe going to laugh at us?