Sponsored by:

Camaro rear-end?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
eeshooter45
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruz
From the 'Photoshop of Round Tail Lights' thread...

I don't like the exhaust, but the lights do not make me think Camaro in any way.

OK- I do like that a ton better!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyACE
Apparently, I'm too dumb to find the similarities. I keep-on reading all these posts about how they put a Camaro rear-end on the C7. I just don't see it... at all... Personally, I think everyone's just butt-hurt cause the lights aren't round, so they have to draw baseless comparisons.

So, help me out guys. I'll post a couple clear pics for reference. Let's see how many parts you can find on the C7 rear-end that came from the Camaro. Try to do so without using the words "round" (as in; "They're not round! Boo hoo hoo!") or lisence plate (as-in "They both have a rectangular spot for the license plate.")

Ready? Go!

BTW, I don't LOVE the C7 rear, but overall, I think they did a damn good job. Probably the only things I would change are; Lose/change the spoiler, it looks like it's stuck-on with double-sided tape. Fix the diffuser. (Angle the sides of it more or make it "detached".)
Both red?

I love the new car from the pics.
I would like to see the rear fascia painted to match the body color
to compare but looks awesome to me.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Ruz
Race Director

Received 265 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by eeshooter45
OK- I do like that a ton better!
Yeah, but this looks even better.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruz

THAT looks a ton better!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruz

OOO!! I like that!

Nice job to whoever shopped that.
GM did a good job, but that is a GREAT job!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Now you're claiming 90% of people think the C7 looks like a Camaro? That's pretty huge. I feel a poll thread coming-on. I wonder if I can just add a poll to this thread...

Personally, I think the C6 and Camaro have WAY more in common than the C7 and Camaro.
Go do my test and come back with results. Go look at the camro forums, mustang, vipers etc etc you get the point see what the consensus is and guess what you will come back with..... camaro. I'm not hating on the car but it's obvious what the rear looks like. If this was the new gen camaro would that rear not fit perfect as it would be an "updated version" of the last gen camaro? I want a c7 I love it I don't hate the rear but I'm sad that it does look like the rear of a camaro I could care less about round tail lights. Serious go ask your wife, gf, kids, parents, whomever and have them do my test see what what happens. It is what it is and that's ok but cmon fellas lets not avoid the elephant in the room and try to spin it to something it clearly is now. I got 8 texts yesterday that said man I love the new vette though the rear looks like a camaro. It's just facts. It's ok the car it a hit overall but the rear is differnt and I'm no "corvette generation guy" like I said I could care less about round tail lights. Just weird that it has a camaro rear.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM
09C6VRGG
Drifting

10 min shop using my laptop directional pad. here ya go, you get the idea. if it had these I would be all over it.
or

Last edited by 09C6VRGG; 01-14-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Go do my test and come back with results. Go look at the camro forums, mustang, vipers etc etc you get the point see what the consensus is and guess what you will come back with..... camaro. I'm not hating on the car but it's obvious what the rear looks like. If this was the new gen camaro would that rear not fit perfect as it would be an "updated version" of the last gen camaro? I want a c7 I love it I don't hate the rear but I'm sad that it does look like the rear of a camaro I could care less about round tail lights. Serious go ask your wife, gf, kids, parents, whomever and have them do my test see what what happens. It is what it is and that's ok but cmon fellas lets not avoid the elephant in the room and try to spin it to something it clearly is now. I got 8 texts yesterday that said man I love the new vette though the rear looks like a camaro. It's just facts. It's ok the car it a hit overall but the rear is differnt and I'm no "corvette generation guy" like I said I could care less about round tail lights. Just weird that it has a camaro rear.
I dunno, I've heard a lot of people go both ways. Personally, I don't see it at-all (which is why I made this thread). The people who claim that it IS a Camaro rear-end have yet to explain WHY it is. Generally, what I'm getting from those folks is this:

"It has a Camaro rear-end."

Me: "Really? I don't see it. What about that is 'Camaro'?"

"The tailights"

"Look again, the tailights are TOTALLY different."

"Oh, I guess they are different. Well, either way, it still looks like a Camaro."

So the general concensus is either it DOESN'T look like a Camaro or those who think it does don't know why, it just does.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I posted why I think it looks like a camaro other then lights. Like I said if I had MS paint I could circle the areas that look like it. See previous posts.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

I dunno, I've heard a lot of people go both ways. Personally, I don't see it at-all (which is why I made this thread). The people who claim that it IS a Camaro rear-end have yet to explain WHY it is. Generally, what I'm getting from those folks is this:

"It has a Camaro rear-end."

Me: "Really? I don't see it. What about that is 'Camaro'?"

"The tailights"

"Look again, the tailights are TOTALLY different."

"Oh, I guess they are different. Well, either way, it still looks like a Camaro."

So the general concensus is either it DOESN'T look like a Camaro or those who think it does don't know why, it just does.
Well said -- I almost think it is the power of suggestion. If this were NOT a Chevy/GM product I guarantee you nobody would ever have seen any resemblance whatsoever -- angular and "tight" vs. round and "puffy"; 4 centered exhaust outlets vs. 2 (or 4) at sides; "Alice Cooper" light inserts; far more angled-in rear window which extends almost to deck and is slightly inset (ala new 911 and some Ferraris); no chrome on much differently shaped tail lights, lots of functional venting. The non-Z51 versions, without the spoiler and with body-colored diffuser, will look even less like the Camaro, if that is possible.

Interestingly, my sons IMMEDIATELY and UNPROMPTED saw a c7-Camaro resemblance looking at the first Jalopnik renders (which, if you remember, really did not get the tail light settings or shapes quite right and did look a bit Camaro-ish). They have not lost that connection even looking at this comparison!

I think ditching the round tail lights for angular was a good thing, but the mass hallucination has occured and protesting only seems to make folks hold onto their opinions that much more strongly.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check my new avatar gets an idea of the dramatic change over are current c6s.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in all honesty. Im keeping my c6z06 but if i was gonna buy new id buy the new viper instead now simply beacause i like the design better. Looks muscle car like and very exotic. Viper will do very well in sales.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the similarity is definitely there...probably a bit of Cadillac in it, too.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Psydef
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Looks nothing like the Camaro!!! I'm so tired of hearing this on CF. The tail lights don't even look close to the same IMO.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I just don't see the similarity between the Camaro and C7 back end, especially when put side by side as per the above.

Now today I was following a Volt, and I had to do a double-take. The lights on the Volt have a similar angle to the C7, much more so than the Camaro which has no angle that I see.

The other impression I had when I first saw the C7 with it's quarter panel windows was did that thing have a mini back seat? Naw, but the uninitiated might make an assumption.

However, overall I think the C7 is a winner. Can't wait to see the convertible.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM
stingray6507
Racer

Having vettes since 1963 and currently owning 62,02 ond 08 I like the car, less the rear end. I didn't look at them side by side as in this post; but first thing my wife said was it looks like our friends camaro. I don't think the lights have to be round but I do think they should have been a little more inovative, IMHO. Both of my sons own corvettes and we see the same thing with the rear end. I understand this car is fast but it's also about style. You want to look good when you get there. Maybe it will grow on us, I can tell you that the c4's never did grow on me. It the only series I didn't own. PS I like both of the blue ones better both eeshooter and Ruz. Joe

Last edited by stingray6507; 01-14-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: left out part
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 09C6VRGG
10 min shop using my laptop directional pad. here ya go, you get the idea. if it had these I would be all over it.
or
Aaak, this is really bad. Sorry.

Regarding the original question, there's no doubt that the C7 reminds people of the Camaro. That's just a fact. However, it's also true that it's hard to see why. On close inspection, they are not even remotely similar. It's a bit weird actually.

Last edited by BobRBob; 01-14-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro rear-end?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
tc01tc
1st Gear

When I first saw the rearend (mostly the rear window) I thought it was very Lexus LFA inspired. A rear 3/4 view shows the similarities the best.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Just watched an interesting video. The autoweek one...

The GM rep said they took a bunch of styling cues from the "Stingray Concept". After seeing that, I realize why they did some of the things they did on the rear. (And on the aggressive cove angle, grill shape, etc.)

Check it out:

Obviously toned-down and changed a bunch, but the cues are there. Had they not said it, I probably wouldn't have made the connection. Funny how they were going for: "Oh yeah, the Stingray Concept!" and they got: "Looks like a Camaro to me". I bet the GM guys are the ones who are MOST frustrated to hear people say that. I agree too that the original Jalopnik rendering had more "Camaro-like" tailights, after that came-out, it just kinda stuck.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
scottfab
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ruz

Has anyone noticed how close the tail light look to the Camero
than say a mustang or viper or BMW or Audi or .... come to think of it any other car?
And all the sharp edges closer to an Aztec than any other car?

And wow the front looks closer to the new viper than any other car.

Now I'm not saying any of this is bad, just is.
What I REALLY like is that the "pearl like" lights around the headlights you see in Audi and Lexus was not copied.
That looks...... sorry, girly like.

Last edited by scottfab; 01-14-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Camaro rear-end?