Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Photoshop of round tail lights?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Tavish
Just piggybacking what has already been done- This is an image of round lights (taken from another car) set in a carbon fiber enclosure that shows a plausible aftermarket option.

I think this is the best option given only changing the tail lights. IMO the whole back end of the car was done poorly; the back is too busy in general.

Why did they feel it was necessary to spell out "Corvette" in raised badging right below the corvette emblem (unlike C6, C5, F Bodies, etc having recessed letters as part of the bumper construction which is much more subtle)??? It looks tacky as hell to me.

2nd of all: the whole "sting ray" BS.. The car is so sharp angled that to me, it makes no sense to refer to it as a stingray. The old stingray actually looked more like a stingray with the back hatch design. No styling cues other than the stingray badging tells me this is a stingray. Plus, the badging is again tacky looking by how large it is and the placement of it on the front quarter panels.

Overall I love the front end design of the car. very agressive and stylish. However the back is WAY too busy. As previously mentioned by others, the tail lights honestly dont look bad. It's more of the fact the whole back end looks bad. If the back end was more simple with the complex tail light design, it would fit (as seen earlier in the picture of the c6 photoshopped with the c7 tail lights). Honestly in a way i'm glad GM designers TRIED making the car a leap toward the future and more exotic. However, I feel they came up short with the back end. Blaming the back end on "oh well, you will get used to it. We are trying to appeal to a bigger audience" is BS. They could have easily appealed to a bigger audience with a design that was more fluid than this one. All it says to me was they went with the crazy looking design hoping it'd catch on because it was so different but in reality its not an appealing design at all.

Maybe it will grow on me.. time will tell

and FWIW, I'm 21 and I believe they were targeting more people in their 20's as well and international buyers. IMO, i'd rather purchase a c6 z06 over this currently.. If the rear end gelled more with the car's overall design, I would probably be saving toward this car. I want to see what they do with the c7 z06 (if they dont kill it) or the c7 zr1 rear end...

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-17-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Challenge accepted. Two alienware PC's side by side. One for me one for my kid. Both hexacore with 512 gb x2 in RAID 0 solid state drives and very current generation 2x discreet graphics cards. 6990x and gtx690. 40% discount through work, otherwise I'd just build my own.
4 Core AMD OCed to 3.2ghz. (going to get my Black Edition quad soon. The black edition actually is better for gaming than the current six core and 8 core amds. That'll probably change later)
950 Watt Corsair power Supply.
GTX460 Factory OCed, and then Oced again. (I play Cry engine 3 games alot, which are far more cpu intensive than it is GPU) looking to upgrade in the near future.
8 Gigs 1600 DDR3 ram, Oced. with heat spreaders. Looking to get another 8 after tax time if I have enough play money left over after buying some speed parts for my C4.
M5A99X Asus Motherboard.
Creative Sound card with analogue outputs running to my Sherwood Stereo receiver.
Razer Naga
G110 Logitech keyboard (the LCD screen on the G15 and up frankly is useless and pointless. As are the additional macro keys, especially with the Naga at my disposal)
Your HDD is better than mine (for now) since I'm running a Raid, high rpm 500 gig hdd.
twin fan HDD Cooler.
4 Case fans. 2 80mms. 1 120mm 1 180mm. + the power supply's fans. 2 of which of course are lit.

Runs Crysis 2 at 60 FPS on extreme settings with no frame drop. It'd run Mechwarrior online better if pirhana would just start optimizing the game engine which runs at 25 to 40 FPS steady. With Fraps running on both, my FPS drops to 50, and 20 to 35 respectively.

Hand built PC. Case is ancient (circa early 2000s I think. I've kept it this long because it's very open very easily modded, and it's pleasant enough to look at as the center piece of my entertainment center/desk) hence some of the smaller fans in it. The cpu rarely gets above 50 C though so I'm not too concerned. As you could guess by the sound card and my chosen receiver the quality of sound was very important for my initial build.

Half the time I can't run my receiver even up to 1/2 volume without people complaining about the noise.

The graphics card was a leftover (as was my CPU) from a buddy's older build. I could OC the processor further if I had a better than stock cpu cooler. But I'm content seeing as how the human eye can't actually see FPS differences above 32 frames per second, so anything above that unless you're frapsing is overkill.

By the way if you're looking to handbuild in the near future, I really recommend the Asus boards, not just for their sheer reliability (every PC I have ever built after my first 2 have been Asus and I haven't looked back since), but the bios interface now is incredibly slick. Mouse based interface, very easy to read, very easy to adjust clocking, incredibly stable, loads of compatibility. Also, you can guess I also made sure the damn thing would stay cool enough in the event that my air conditioning dies in the Southern Summers down here.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-17-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
I think this is the best option given only changing the tail lights. IMO the whole back end of the car was done poorly; the back is too busy in general.

Why did they feel it was necessary to spell out "Corvette" in raised badging right below the corvette emblem (unlike C6, C5, F Bodies, etc having recessed letters as part of the bumper construction which is much more subtle)??? It looks tacky as hell to me.

2nd of all: the whole "sting ray" BS.. The car is so sharp angled that to me, it makes no sense to refer to it as a stingray. The old stingray actually looked more like a stingray with the back hatch design. No styling cues other than the stingray badging tells me this is a stingray. Plus, the badging is again tacky looking by how large it is and the placement of it on the front quarter panels.

Overall I love the front end design of the car. very agressive and stylish. However the back is WAY too busy. As previously mentioned by others, the tail lights honestly dont look bad. It's more of the fact the whole back end looks bad. If the back end was more simple with the complex tail light design, it would fit (as seen earlier in the picture of the c6 photoshopped with the c7 tail lights). Honestly in a way i'm glad GM designers TRIED making the car a leap toward the future and more exotic. However, I feel they came up short with the back end. Blaming the back end on "oh well, you will get used to it. We are trying to appeal to a bigger audience" is BS. They could have easily appealed to a bigger audience with a design that was more fluid than this one. All it says to me was they went with the crazy looking design hoping it'd catch on because it was so different but in reality its not an appealing design at all.

Maybe it will grow on me.. time will tell

and FWIW, I'm 21 and I believe they were targeting more people in their 20's as well and international buyers. IMO, i'd rather purchase a c6 z06 over this currently.. If the rear end gelled more with the car's overall design, I would probably be saving toward this car. I want to see what they do with the c7 z06 (if they dont kill it) or the c7 zr1 rear end...
Well said. I don't entirely agree with everything but it does cover my general take on the rear end, there is too much going on and its not cohesive. I actually think that the taillights are the best part of the design though, by themselves they have an interesting and attractive 3 dimensional shape that would look good as the vocal point of a fully integrated design. But this isn't. To my eye it looks like two different designers were given some homework.... "Boys, we wanna go angular. One of you will design the bottom half of the rear end and one the top. And NO PEEKING! We don't want either of you to know what the other is up to."

Truth be told I had two C6s and I never really liked it from the straight on side. Liked it from the front and back and all around cept that view, straight from the side. I bought in anyways. I didn't hate it and the cars attributes when driving were what really mattered. I'll wait till I see good HQ videos of C7 in the various colors before I make up my mind as to whether the car is good enough to overcome what I see as highly overwrought syling both in and out of the car. For C6 the answer was yes, twice. For C7 the jury is out.

I do know one thing. If the Viper is a clown shoe then the other shoe has dropped and its name is C7.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
4 Core AMD OCed to 3.2ghz. (going to get my Black Edition quad soon. The black edition actually is better for gaming than the current six core and 8 core amds. That'll probably change later)
GTX460 Factory OCed, and then Oced again. (I play Cry engine 3 games alot, which are far more cpu intensive than it is GPU) looking to upgrade in the near future.
8 Gigs 1600 DDR3 ram, Oced. with heat spreaders. Looking to get another 8 after tax time if I have enough play money left over after buying some speed parts for my C4.
M5A99X Asus Motherboard.
Creative Sound card with analogue outputs running to my Sherwood Stereo receiver.
Razer Naga
G110 Logitech keyboard (the LCD screen on the G15 and up frankly is useless and pointless. As are the additional macro keys, especially with the Naga at my disposal)
Your HDD is better than mine (for now) since I'm running a Raid, high rpm 500 gig hdd.
twin fan HDD Cooler.
4 Case fans. 2 80mms. 1 120mm 1 180mm. + the power supply's fans. 2 of which of course are lit.

Runs Crysis 2 at 60 FPS on extreme settings with no frame drop. It'd run Mechwarrior online better if pirhana would just start optimizing the game engine which runs at 25 to 40 FPS steady. With Fraps running on both, my FPS drops to 50, and 20 to 35 respectively.

Hand built PC. Case is ancient (circa early 2000s I think. I've kept it this long because it's very open very easily modded, and it's pleasant enough to look at as the center piece of my entertainment center/desk) hence some of the smaller fans in it. The cpu rarely gets above 50 C though so I'm not too concerned. As you could guess by the sound card and my chosen receiver the quality of sound was very important for my initial build.

Half the time I can't run my receiver even up to 1/2 volume without people complaining about the noise.

The graphics card was a leftover (as was my CPU) from a buddy's older build. I could OC the processor further if I had a better than stock cpu cooler. But I'm content seeing as how the human eye can't actually see FPS differences above 32 frames per second, so anything above that unless you're frapsing is overkill.

By the way if you're looking to handbuild in the near future, I really recommend the Asus boards, not just for their sheer reliability (every PC I have ever built after my first 2 have been Asus and I haven't looked back since), but the bios interface now is incredibly slick. Mouse based interface, very easy to read, very easy to adjust clocking, incredibly stable, loads of compatibility. Also, you can guess I also made sure the damn thing would stay cool enough in the event that my air conditioning dies in the Southern Summers down here.
I can see youre an enthusiast like myself. If it weren't for my company discount my builds woukd be different. Don't play crysis, but I run some of the latest games at 100+ fps on the highest settings. Cheers!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see youre an enthusiast like myself. If it weren't for my company discount my builds woukd be different. Don't play crysis, but I run some of the latest games at 100+ fps on the highest settings. Cheers!
Yeah, I have to admit if BF3 would go on a steam sale I'd probably buy it just to see what kind of FPS I could push in it. The Cry games aren't exactly known for being super efficient even when ''fully optimized''.

on.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Yeah, I have to admit if BF3 would go on a steam sale I'd probably buy it just to see what kind of FPS I could push in it. The Cry games aren't exactly known for being super efficient even when ''fully optimized''.

on.
Funny how we meet on this forum! My last hand build was an intel Q9650 @ 4.2 on air plus a quad sli setup. 295 gtx ring a bell? I think you and I would be LAN superstars!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM
stingrays_r_us
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get over round tail lamps the same way you got over fixed headlamps. As far as you clowns are concerned, we should still be using DOS. Time to adapt or pass the torch. Your choice.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Know what would've been REALLY cool?

If they had just made a square panel the size of the tail lights, filled it with LED's and then gave the owner the option of programming those LED's in any shape he/she wanted. Round, square, rectangular, 2, 3, even four lights per side. with a something like that, you could do whatever you want.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would buy this!!!

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
I can see GM going in this direction if the current version doesn't sell. Also, I can imagine after-market kits popping up. Tail lights look great in this rendering, but bumper a little too C4 and dated. Thanks. Gives me hope.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,643 Likes on 1,050 Posts

M5A99X Asus Motherboard.
Razer Naga
twin fan HDD Cooler.

We are way off topic now, but if neither one of you are running EyeFinity, you are both technologically behind. I am running a pair of HD7970s in Crossfire connected 3x 24" displays. Skyrim looks incredible. Can't wait for Crysis 3!

And you want an FX-8350. It is also unlocked. Your quad core (even the black edition) will get destroyed by this bad boy. It's factory clocked at 4.2GHz. It's the new generation.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 01-17-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

So now the rear end will look like the 1995 skyline gtr?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Seriously can't believe all this tail light hatred...these lights look amazing. I am actually afraid of them, the lights looks possessed

Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY

Not really round but look great, easily fix just body color the black vent around the lights, I dont mind the rear either way...
This looks good
Old 01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arkus

TEETH BEING THE EXHAUST !!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIXED IT!!!!

Now it looks just like the C6

(pat's self on back) I did a helluva better job than those dumb designers at GM.

It's not just about round tail lights. It's about design flow. The C7's rear end is.... well frankly ugly, and in my opinion don't compliment the rest of the car what so ever.

I call it Camaro ***, because it's pretty obvious the same guy designed both's ***. And that guy should be fired, because both cars are utterly hideous from behind.

In the C7s case it's 2 toned, misshapen to the rest of the car's styling ques, with tail lights that don't seem to quite fit into place with the rear vents.

In the Camaro's case it makes an already overly large, and heavy looking car, look positively obese while having very very small tail lights.

GM could have gone with something lifted off of a Gen 3 Firebird and it would suit the C7 far more than that unbalanced rear.

For the record I hate the back end of the 91-96 C4s for much the same reason that it doesn't fit the car. GM went to that back bumper because it was cheap and it showed.

The angled cut of the 80s C4 worked with the car's belt line, and profile much better.

Sorry for having standards and thinking the C7's back end shouldn't look like something even Quasimodo would think twice about checking out a second time.

By the way I'm 27, and I'm willing to bet my PC is more advanced than yours. So really I could probably ask you to either pass the torch or get out
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Buhma... for the win!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Blancpain
Pro

seriously? seriously? the one on the left looks like a down syndrome kid.

Originally Posted by LifeAt200MPH
One more...

Get notified of new replies

To Photoshop of round tail lights?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Blancpain
Pro

That's horrible!
The lights are not bad, although it looks more like the Camaro now. The mirored exhausts Like a kindergarten picture...sorry...just sad.

Originally Posted by C7 Heaven

Last edited by Blancpain; 01-17-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Blancpain
Pro

My thoughts exactly... I'm gonna laugh when all these people put roundish taillights on their Vette and make them look even more like the Camaro they so despise...LOL

Originally Posted by slief
You guys crack me up. If the tail lights looked like this, it would look almost exactly like the Camaro at night and would be most certainly confused with Camaro much more than the Current C7 design which looks nothing like the Camaro at night!!

And This design... Even worse at night! It could only look like one thing at night.. A Camaro!!! If you dont think so, see the photos below it.

Let me help you! Here is the Camaro in the dark.. It would look almost identical to the above render at night. So much for great ideas HUH???

Here is the C7. Note, there is no resemblance what so ever between the C7 and the Camaro.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe C
i've got news for you folks - you can photoshop the ***** out of the C7 - IT AIN'T GONNA CHANGE NOTHIN! what you see is what you get. get over the tail lights issue for christ's sake! nobody was pissin' and moanin' in 61 when corvette got the "four round tail lights" design cue from the 1960 corvair. some of these renderings i've seen on this thread are OK and some are just hideous. all i can say to most of you design want-a-be's is, "DON'T GIVE UP YOUR DAY JOBS!"

to chevrolet, corvette, and all the design teams -

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Photoshop of round tail lights?