Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy marketing, who will buy the C7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Default Chevy marketing, who will buy the C7?

This car seems to target the younger crowd, but there is a problem. Younger people with families need back seats. And younger people may not have $60k just lying around to buy an extra sports car to drive on weekends. Especially in this economy.

I am 53 years old, and I don't need back seats any more. I also have enough income to afford a Corvette. I just don't think this car will appeal to the market. I'm afraid Chevy will have a hard time selling these cars.

I think the Corvette has lost the beauty in the design, and now they are going more for an edgy appearance. However, the younger group that goes for this design approach do not typically buy Corvettes.

I realize these are generalizations, and some older buyers will buy the car. Also, some younger people well have the money.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

If GM is smart enough to send them overseas and make a right hand drive, they'll sell a huge amount in OZ and the UK.
Some of us look at the performance incorporated with styling VS form without function. It sounds like everyone here pulls up a chair and looks at the ***-end of their car on a daily basis.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
This car seems to target the younger crowd, but there is a problem. Younger people with families need back seats. And younger people may not have $60k just lying around to buy an extra sports car to drive on weekends. Especially in this economy.

I am 53 years old, and I don't need back seats any more. I also have enough income to afford a Corvette. I just don't think this car will appeal to the market. I'm afraid Chevy will have a hard time selling these cars.

I think the Corvette has lost the beauty in the design, and now they are going more for an edgy appearance. However, the younger group that goes for this design approach do not typically buy Corvettes.

I realize these are generalizations, and some older buyers will buy the car. Also, some younger people well have the money.

GM can no longer afford to market to the same crowd that was buying C3's back in the 60's and 70's. They have to move on to the next generation.

Considering that many people are waiting until later to settle down and start families, there are plenty of folks in their 20's and 30's who have the cash for one and don't have a back seat. I didn't have any back seats all through my 20's.

They want to win back the crowd that has moved on to cars like the 370z, new Mustang (which only technically has a back seat), Boxster, etc. This car is a bigger risk, sure. Who knows if it will sell better than the C6, and the C6 hasn't been selling all that well.

GM decided to go big rather than go home. Good for them. If they had simply put out yet another iteration of conservative, reserved, focus-group-derived design it would be a lost cause for sure. It would just be another boring has-been. With the C7 at least there's a chance.

Last edited by Thud; 01-14-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

You may be right about the overseas market. I just think the main market in the USA is looking for beautiful lines on a Corvette and not hard angles and "bada$$" ricer appearance of a Celica.

Last edited by Tonylmiller; 01-14-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget a bunch of the young guys don't have a wife, house,or kids. So a big car payment is not that bad. You can sell a young mans car to a old guy, but you can't sell a old mans car to a young man.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM
00hotvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CitationZ06@yahoo
Don't forget a bunch of the young guys don't have a wife, house,or kids. So a big car payment is not that bad. You can sell a young mans car to a old guy, but you can't sell a old mans car to a young man.
And this is why I sold my 00Vert. My wife said you are driving a old man's car!!!! But man do I like this car and yes I'm 45.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
00hotvette
Pro

And yes I will be buying a Vert
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm in my 20s (late 20s unfortunately) and have owned a 01 z06 while still in college, bought a brand new 08 while working, an 03 viper and a 97 viper. Like already said, no kids, no wife, I can afford a bigger car payment however I do believe once people see the car in person it will be selling like hot cakes. I remember similar reactions when the c6 came out and people scooped those up.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
00hotvette
Pro

Current cars (04Viper) (11BMWZ4M) (13 Porsche Cayenne) (10DodgeRam) and soon13 Vette.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

I'm about to be 31 in March - I'd say someone like me is their prime target market. More so especially since I never plan on getting married or having any rug rats.

As it's looking now though -- my C6Z will be loved for a long long time. They did a good job with the interior and front. Everything else though is up in the air. Rear most of all.

I'll give them a few years to work out the kinks, and come out with a Z06 version, by that time I'd probably be 35.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by PolishDude
I'm in my 20s (late 20s unfortunately) and have owned a 01 z06 while still in college, bought a brand new 08 while working, an 03 viper and a 97 viper. Like already said, no kids, no wife, I can afford a bigger car payment however I do believe once people see the car in person it will be selling like hot cakes. I remember similar reactions when the c6 came out and people scooped those up.
That is fantastic that you can do that at such a young age, but I'm afraid that most people cannot afford new Corvettes while in college, or even anytime soon after that. And even if they can, they will buy something with a back seat.

I was about 50 years old before I was in a good position to buy a Corvette. I think that scenario is much more common than a person in college buying one (new).
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
sprta
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

There are always going to be buyers who will only buy new so if you want a new vette it will be the C7. Although we all like to think we are brighter than the folks are at GM in reality we are not.....they know design, marketing and target audience with 60 yrs experience with the vettes. The C7 will be a success as was all the other generations of vettes.
The only down side I would envision is pricing.....too high and you go up against the higher priced sports cars. Then you make the decision to stay with the vettes or look at alternatives.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by sprta
There are always going to be buyers who will only buy new so if you want a new vette it will be the C7. Although we all like to think we are brighter than the folks are at GM in reality we are not.....they know design, marketing and target audience with 60 yrs experience with the vettes. The C7 will be a success as was all the other generations of vettes.
The only down side I would envision is pricing.....too high and you go up against the higher priced sports cars. Then you make the decision to stay with the vettes or look at alternatives.
I have to agree that GM must have thought of this. I hope they are correct! I don't want to see the Corvette die.

On the other hand, if things do not go well, they could refresh the exterior in a couple of years in order to stimulate demand.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
10caipirinhas
Pro

If GM executives were as smart as you say Tony, they wouldn't have lost huge market share, gone BK, and kept turning out mostly crap for 40+ years.

Having said that, IMHO the C7 is probably a car that was created to address the needs and wants of foreign buyers foremost over that of US ones. Success is not purely defined by numbers..........which is one reason why Chris Bangle is no longer at BMW.

Last edited by 10caipirinhas; 01-14-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
mykalz71
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts

GM Marketing - I will buy one. I love the changes.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by PolishDude
I'm in my 20s (late 20s unfortunately) and have owned a 01 z06 while still in college, bought a brand new 08 while working,
You are the exception... not the rule. NO ONE in my college studies had a new vette in the parking lot. If 10k production can float all associated costs of this brand marketing theories are all wrong.
If it fits, it ships. Many will go overseas and large dealers will not stock in great numbers. I see the edge ahead of us.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM
AHW219
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
This car seems to target the younger crowd, but there is a problem. Younger people with families need back seats. And younger people may not have $60k just lying around to buy an extra sports car to drive on weekends. Especially in this economy.....
Tony, my sentiments exactly. C7 design just doesn't excite me. Like I said on another thread I'm now considering Viper or MB SL. That said I sincerely hope that C7 sells well to keep the line going......
Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Sidepiper
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 32 and have a 3yo and 5yo kids. I currently own a 09 coupe. My wife and I love that car for going away once a month for a night and going to the beach. We also have a mini van.....yes I said it. My point is, we both have jobs and are curently saving 25% of our income for our kids, and will be trading our 09 in on a 2014 as soon as they hit the dealer lots. We are lucky that we both have a great work ethic to be able to afford what we want.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy marketing, who will buy the C7?

Quick Reply: Chevy marketing, who will buy the C7?