C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder deactivation and aftermarket exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 AM
philomath
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Cylinder deactivation and aftermarket exhaust?

What do you think the effect of the AFM cylinder deactivation will be on the aftermarket exhaust scene? Do you think they will all have to come with the vacuum baffle plates (both) to deal with the 4 cyl sound, making them all exorbitantly priced? Will they just deal with the sound on cruise? Will it kill it altogether?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 AM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep the stock exhaust.. I've been pushing 900+rw through mine without issues.. The cyl deactivation will sound like hell with a loud exhaust.. I'd rather not hear it untill I got on it.. Maybe that means I'm getting old..
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 AM
philomath
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr08Z51
I'd keep the stock exhaust.. I've been pushing 900+rw through mine without issues.. The cyl deactivation will sound like hell with a loud exhaust.. I'd rather not hear it untill I got on it.. Maybe that means I'm getting old..
I think this is going to be the general reaction. I'm wondering if the aftermarket companies are going to see it as "not worth the trouble" to design a system with two baffle systems. Only BB and Arka deal with the single system on the C6's now.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd love to hear what a ricer corvette sounds like lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The aftermarket really doesn't have much to offer on the C6 (no HP, weight or looks advantage although maybe a sound advantage when it comes to sitting in a parking lot winging the throttle) and it looks like they will be even worse off with the C7.

Bill
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

The chevy website is showing the the AFM can be turned on or off by the driver. Those of us who would want decent sound could leave it off until we were on a highway.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Well, cylinder deactivation is not defeatable on the Grand Cherokee SRT8, and I can tell you the engine sounds like absolute crap with the valves removed. In fact, it sounds like crap even with the valves from the inside, but at least not outside too. And drones when in 4-cyl mode too; an annoying resonance. Anyway, I put a Borla catback exhaust on the SRT8, and only sounds really nice when the valves are overcome. By the way, at least the SRT has mechanical (spring-loaded) valves, not vacuum. They wouldn't work with vacuum, since you need progressive opening depending on exhaust volume. And a servo motor would be too expensive and unreliable; no way GM would do that either. Looks like catbacks only if you don't want to mess with the valves. Or include mechanical valves in full systems. Or permanently defeat that crap, which doesn't belong on a sports car .

Get notified of new replies

To Cylinder deactivation and aftermarket exhaust?

Quick Reply: Cylinder deactivation and aftermarket exhaust?