Sponsored by:

Well I told you so......

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Well I told you so......

Last week I started a thread that went like this. I had a couple haters want to "slap me thru the internet" Well this is for you 2 Jamokes:

Take a few minutes to listen to the Autoweek interview.

The GM designer states "the taillights are to reach a younger demographic"

When they sat down to design this car what were they thinking? Whenever a company designs a new car from scratch they always have some guide lines. Cost, profit, volume, demographics, etc. I would like to give my opinion on WHO they designed this C7 for.
Was it for the typical current Vette owner? The C5 crowd? What education and income level? Did they want to keep the current customer or reach out to the BMW crowd?

I think that they know that the current demographic is over 60, non college educated, typical income around $80,000 to $100,000. Just a educated guess from observing the typical Corvette club member.

I live in So CA and like it or not, car and popular culture usually starts here.

Young kids, 18 to 25 only care about the high preforming Vette, Z06 in particular, with NO chrome. Blacked out kick *** Vettes will get their attention. Chromed out verts do not.

Sorry to offend anyone but that is the truth.

So if you are GM what to do to get a younger customer?

Look what Caddy did. Seems to be working in CA as young high earners are not not embarrassed to be seen in a CTS or the new ATS.

[B]My point is that the taillights, which I dislike on the C7, are just a token to break away from the old fart crowd.

Some of us, yes me too, 55, do not like the C7 taillights, but I am guessing that it was done for a reason.

Just my 2 cents..........
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Why would you put an old tailight design on a new version car, those tailights like them or not flow with the design features of the rest of the car.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 AM
AaronDoud
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know it was done for a reason but I think they made a mistake. I don't think changing it up will make younger people buy it. Those of us who are younger (34 here and got my first vette at 23) who would buy a vette already have one.

The rear end is killing it for me right now. I want to love this car because i love the doors forward and love the interior. But right now I am leaning towards skipping the C7. I need to see it in person to know for sure. Kinda hard when I like so much on the car.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Bet it grows on you

Originally Posted by AaronDoud
Yeah I know it was done for a reason but I think they made a mistake. I don't think changing it up will make younger people buy it. Those of us who are younger (34 here and got my first vette at 23) who would buy a vette already have one.

The rear end is killing it for me right now. I want to love this car because i love the doors forward and love the interior. But right now I am leaning towards skipping the C7. I need to see it in person to know for sure. Kinda hard when I like so much on the car.
I was not wild about the rear end either at first. I bet that when I have seen it in person, I will like it more, I still recall the C5 folks whining about the headlights on the C6. Well guess what?
The C5 looks so old now. The same thing will happen with the C6 i wager.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

the car looks nice... as far as younger generation goes though, this car is a jaguar competitor, not a sports car. they missed badly if they were looking for younger buyers.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
Why would you put an old tailight design on a new version car, those tailights like them or not flow with the design features of the rest of the car.
did you not look at the new c7? i am sorry round or oval tail lights would be of been really out of place..the octagon tail lights fit the car very well. to match all the sharp lines on the car..and old tail light design? what where are you getting that from?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

This looks designed for the low income buyer. Not the 70k buyer.

Get notified of new replies

To Well I told you so......

Quick Reply: Well I told you so......