Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

news flash, C7 is _HEAVIER_ than C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

and I can agree with most of the posts above...Like I said, GM will get it to work as they did the ZL1. I mean my GOD they got a 7:41 out of a 4200lb car on the ring...that's insane. Power surely helped it, but it's not going to do that unless it's properly setup.

Also....i was debating back with people that where in the hell is the extra weight coming from. I still almost don't/can't beleive it. They knock 150 lbs off the heaviest parts on the car, yet it gains 150 lbs? That makes zero sense. I just can't imagine the engineers would let that happen. You'd think if they had to add a ton of bracing...which I don't think they would have to, it would be light weight stuff. The 3350 weight proposed by C&D means that after they got the car down to 3050 if you subtract what we know they took out, they added 300 lbs in other stuff? Really? Crash bracing or airbags could maybe weigh a lot, but damn......
Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Guys, Car & Driver made a freakin' guess at the curb weight. GM has not said a word about the overall weight, and they won't until the car is in production. You are getting way too excited over a magazine's guess made before the reveal in a video released tonight.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Guys, Car & Driver made a freakin' guess at the curb weight. GM has not said a word about the overall weight, and they won't until the car is in production. You are getting way too excited over a magazine's guess made before the reveal in a video released tonight.
While I think the CD weight is stupid, yes, reading o almost every site that it will be heavier...

Straight from Edmunds " GM was not specific about curb weight other than acknowledging that, yes, the C7's curb weight will be higher than the current car. Our guess is that the new car will gain about 100 pounds over the C6. "

Edmunds is a reliable source and the engineers told them it will weigh ore. To me it seems like it's true.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 AM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
100%

FAR too many Corvette haters on a Corvette dedicated site.
Just because we love the Corvette, doesn't mean we have to jump and cheer when a spec is disappointing.

Same thing happened on the 350Z forums, when the 370Z failed to meet the claimed weight savings - it was heavier than a 1st year 350Z.

Originally Posted by Kappa
What's the big deal? It'll weigh about the same as a late C6 Z06/Z07.
Don't know which late model Z06 weight that much. My "early model" Z weights a tick under 3150 with Caravaggios.

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
How will the make the z06/zr1 lighter? Carbon fiber frame and wheels and torque tube? Is the blower gonna drop its weight? Highly disappointed if its heavier than a c6
VERY good point. The Z06 is light because of the aluminium frame. The ZR1 is acceptable because of the aluminium frame.

With the C7, how much would a theoretical ZR1 weight? 3500 lbs? At that weight, it better have a LOT of power to keep up with Ferraris / Porsches / McLarens / GTRs.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

I *rrreeeeaallllllly* don't want to come of as a hater as I 100% love everything about htis car. I just keep saying (and posting) over and over...I'm just so disappointed in the weight of the car. That's the one spec I really cared about, and most guys that are into road racing and ring times and feel of the car and all that stuff. Weight is so crucial...especially to me. Again I was telling people not to be disappointed with a 31xx weight, and here I am down in the dumps because the weight might be 3300
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

I agree with the above too. What else can or will they do to knock off weight that won't cost a fortune. 2 piece brakes would be nice.

The Z06/ZR1 models will probably have bigger and wider wheels/tires, a blower setup, bigger brakes front and back, bigger sway bars, bigger/beefier trans and diff, maybe more bracing..

Ugh.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 AM
acannell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhommert
I *rrreeeeaallllllly* don't want to come of as a hater as I 100% love everything about htis car. I just keep saying (and posting) over and over...I'm just so disappointed in the weight of the car. That's the one spec I really cared about, and most guys that are into road racing and ring times and feel of the car and all that stuff. Weight is so crucial...especially to me. Again I was telling people not to be disappointed with a 31xx weight, and here I am down in the dumps because the weight might be 3300
How do you think I feel? Weight was just one thing that was important to me. What about traction and power? What about style? Ive been here with everyone else waiting for the C7. This is just lame
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acannell
How do you think I feel? Weight was just one thing that was important to me. What about traction and power? What about style? Ive been here with everyone else waiting for the C7. This is just lame
I'm not sure traction will be a problem since they have PTM and launch control. I really, really do 100% love the entire car. Looks amazing,although not an insane departure from the C6 on the front end like some were wanting. I like the interior and stuff it can do. I'd be VERY happy with a 450hp car due to the TQ curve and lower weight we were all supposed to be getting. It was going to be the best of both worlds-a C5Z curb weight, with LS7 ish power in a brand new Corvette. Awesome.

Except that damned curb weight.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

i find it amazing that something like a 65 mustang has everything on it you could ever want, is a bigger car, has an all iron everything, and weighs 600 pounds less than this aluminum and cf touring car. i like this vette like a i would a jag or a cadillac. but it is no sports car.

a 2004 miata, which even meets all the federal BS, is another almost all iron ape, yet weighs 1100 pounds less than this vette.

i hate miatas, but the point is made.

hell, an e36 bmw M3 is another all iron monstrosity, a bigger car, with more sound deadening, and weighs less than this car.

unbelieveable.

if this powertrain went into a 2600 pound chassis, that would be great....
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by acannell
exactly when will you eat your words?
Will YOU eat your words if you turn out to be wrong?
Or are you simply always 'right' about everything regardless of the truth?

Originally Posted by Jinx
Slow your roll, kids.

Simpler explanation than "OMG they didn't say anything so it MUST weigh MOAR!" is this:

They haven't nailed down every last standard and option yet. Production of customer cars doesn't start for months.

They'll announce curb weight when they're confident they have a final-intent car and can advertise the lowest number possible. You heard the chassis guy saying "we took out 99 pounds, and we're looking for one more" in interviews, right?

So calm down, and let them finish, and THEN you may give birth to a bovine animal.

Until then, explain specifically where you think all this extra weight is coming from. Everybody goes all ***** over electronics -- have you picked up a tablet lately? They're measured in ounces FFS. Higher quality interior? So you're saying carbon fiber weighs more than the plastic it replaced? Or that good leather weighs pounds more than cheap leather? Seriously, take a few deep breaths and think about what you're saying. Yes, if they add a lot of sound insulation that will add pounds to the car, but there was no mention of that tonight. What else you got? Anything? And keep it to the base car, because that's what the published curb weight will be.
Exactly.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Figured it would be heavier. The thing is loaded with goodies
Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

To me Edmunds reporting that a Corvette engineer admitted the car will be heavier than the C6 coupe pretty much seals the deal. Edmunds is a reliable source and wouldn't put it as fact unless they thought it was true. They are guessing 3300, so maybe they milked even more off the record from the guys. Considering that's what other sources are going with, a 3300lb C7 seems like a sad reality.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bladex10
Figured it would be heavier. The thing is loaded with goodies
300lbs of goodies? Even though it seems like it's all but a fact now, it *still* seems excessive.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Edmunds is never wrong? Web news emphasizes speed over accuracy. Seriously, you're totally wound up over something that doesn't add up. At least wait for an official curb weight before you go on making post after post after post after....
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Edmunds is never wrong? Web news emphasizes speed over accuracy. Seriously, you're totally wound up over something that doesn't add up. At least wait for an official curb weight before you go on making post after post after post after....
Like I said, not fact.

But.....Considering it would be hard to screw up a simple statement like the word "yes"

and the fact that 3-5 other sources are saying it will be heavier, I'd think it's going to be heavier.

and I'm just responding to everyone in the thread including you buddy
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

You know the web is a regurgitation machine, right? One site posts something, a dozen other sites rush to rephrase it to up their own click counts. If you'd paid attention to the goings-on in C7 General over the past year, you'd know that a lot of what was published turned out to be wrong. It's possible the car is heavier, but it doesn't seem reasonable, no matter how many times people repeat what Edmunds wrote. Wait until GM publishes a curb weight, or until all the mags give good data from official first-drives, and THEN go crazy.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

guys, look, it's likely that a fully optioned C7 will be heavier, and the press cars will probably be fully optioned for interior impressions, so we will probably see some as tested weights in the mid-high 3200's. No biggie, just don't put all the crap on your car and expect it to be 3000 lbs flat with todays safety standards.

Originally Posted by 11BladeGS
I don't know..I see a lot of supposed Corvette lovers that appear to desperately want the C7 to fail. I would only be concerned with the performance and driving experience of the new design and sure wouldn't give a you know what if the overall weight was slightly higher or lower than the current car..

Man, some people will cry, bitch, and moan about the smallest detail. Love my C6, but would also love to see the C7 kick some serious ***, including those of some of the posters on this forum, Lol

J
This is always the case, there are people who want to convince themselves that their car (C5,C6) isn't old news and validate what they have so they will take every little thing about the new car and blow it out of proportion.

A relative few will take that to the extreme continuously bashing the new car every chance they get and trolling the C7 forum trying to convince everyone else.

Don't pay it any mind. Happens every new generation of every new car model.

This is the most beautiful base Corvette (other than the C3 stingray) ever imo. Instantly dates the C6 looks.

Get notified of new replies

To news flash, C7 is _HEAVIER_ than C6

Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Juechter himself said the C7 base will weigh more than the outgoing base model. C7 forum just doesn't want to believe it lol

Now, as far as making C5Z comparisons...C7 all the way. GM did not add bricks to the car, the added weight is functional, it serves a purpose, and the engineering is a lot better the newer the car is.

For one how do you even reconcile the stifness increase? 57% over base C6, 20% over the fixed roof ZO6! That's a swell improvement!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

You know the web is a regurgitation machine, right? One site posts something, a dozen other sites rush to rephrase it to up their own click counts. If you'd paid attention to the goings-on in C7 General over the past year, you'd know that a lot of what was published turned out to be wrong. It's possible the car is heavier, but it doesn't seem reasonable, no matter how many times people repeat what Edmunds wrote. Wait until GM publishes a curb weight, or until all the mags give good data from official first-drives, and THEN go crazy.
You're right, we've had a ton of bad info from places over the last while....but that has been *guesses* This is one of the most popular or accurate or whatever auto news places talking directly to a GM engineer after the event. I think the other sources actually put their info up first, but regardless I'd certainly assume they were at the event. Who knows. I just do not like a statement that says a GM engineer said it would be heavier than the C6 coupe, and guesses of a good 100 lbs more.

I'm also very reserved and refused to believe it until I saw some info...I mean yes, it just doesn't make sense. Cut out 150+ lbs...yet it weighs 100+ lbs more? I'm still not 100% sold. I'm not flipping out, just very disapointed in this one aspect if it's even true. I still love the car in every single other way. Before all of this my dad asked me Well what are you suprised about, and what are you unhappy about? I couldn't think of an answer to either. Love the car.

Also as I've said even if it does weigh 3300 lbs, it will still kill it on the track. Gm makes the 4200lb ZL1 drive like it's much lighter with the mag shocks. I can't weight (see what I did there) to see how this car does on the track even if it is 100lbs more.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Juechter himself said the C7 base will weigh more than the outgoing base model. C7 forum just doesn't want to believe it lol
I didn't know that. Just searched google and came up with this.

In fact, the weight of the base car "will be slightly up," Juechter says.

Quick Reply: news flash, C7 is _HEAVIER_ than C6