C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 has 662bhp for 54K, C7 450bhp for 60K?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Wow..you are so cool. Here you are in the middle of the night boasting to complete and total strangers on the net of all places. You must be a big hit with the kids on Myspace.
What ever pops your cherry hunny. You quoted me first if I recall right. I'll sign an autograph for you
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Skafte
The GT500 is a great car for what it is. But very few people (yes, I know there are some out there, but you're a minority) will cross-shop the C7 and the Mustang. They're not targeting the same demographic, you're not buying the GT500 if you're enthusiastic about handling and you're not buying the base C7 if you're looking for something that will break the sound barrier in a straight line.
Your realistic. Your a minority as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 AM
quicksupra
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
http://www.motortrend.com/features/laguna_lap/

I'm not worried about what the Stang can do in a straight.

Because that's all it's good for. And lets face it, it's more common for the Shelby to run around 65k.

Sure you can get (allegedly) one for 53 grand.

But let's face it, it's not going to corner nearly as well as even a C6 with Z51 package, let alone the C7.

I'd hate to be the guy in the Shelby on Laguna Seca on a track day when a C7 rolled onto the field.

the cheapest Shelby you'd actually want for performance reasons is 53,600. That gives it the gas sucking 3.73 gear ratio, and the SVT handling package. That's assuming the car has none of the special bodywork on it or badges (which run the car's cost up a couple grand easy) nor the actually Good seats for hard cornering around a track (which add another 1500).

And frankly I still wouldn't put my money on the shelby taking a C6 Grand Sport shoed in the Michelin Sport Cup R meats, around Laguna, or a myriad of other tracks. Especially after the first hero lap is done, since the Porker Shelby has massive brake fade issues.

Now if we really want to get nuts. Do you know what kind of speed Gen 4 birdy is capable of with even just 20 grand of work into it? You could make a birdy that would smoke the porker shelby all day and all night on both the road coarse, and the dragstrip. Value per dollar, buying either of those cars is Silly to put it mildly for pure performance reasons. You're buying them because A you have more money than sense to wait for them to come up used later, and B you're buying them for Style. And the two cars (vette and stang) operate in two very different styles and markets.
Gt500 has 3.31 gears not 3.73. Svt handling package is an option. There are no body kit or badge options. Put some pilot super sports on the car and change the brake fluid to dot 4 and the shelby is good to go. Biggest thing holding it back besides the weight are the tires which are smaller the the ones on the zl1 and are crapyears.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PureSwank
What ever pops your cherry hunny. You quoted me first if I recall right. I'll sign an autograph for you
No thanks...

Save your hand for the kids on Myspace that believe you or enjoy your talking yourself up.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quicksupra
Gt500 has 3.31 gears not 3.73. Svt handling package is an option. There are no body kit or badge options. Put some pilot super sports on the car and change the brake fluid to dot 4 and the shelby is good to go. Biggest thing holding it back besides the weight are the tires which are smaller the the ones on the zl1 and are crapyears.
the 3.73 is an option you can check (and should if we're going all out on Performance)

the SVT handling package is mandatory if you pick the 3.73 gearing.

I just built one on fords site to see the cheapest I could make a shelby Gt500 and have it have the performance goodies (save for the seats... I could see someone being 'tarded enough to not spend the extra 1500 on the seats after spending the dough on the handling package).

At 53,600 the car would basically on the exterior minus like one badge look just like a mustang GT (and not even a premium GT), and have all the most important goodies, save for the seats. (there is no option to get brake ducts, or better brakes on the thing.. which is problematic given what Motor Trends testing showed. You'd have to go to the aftermarket for that to be taken care of so you can add another 3k probably to the price of the overall car if you are serious about Track Duty)

Which makes me wonder, why would anyone even buy the GT500 when they can just buy the GT Standard, put a centrafugal supercharger (or even better a turbo) on it, get the same or Better ponies, and flat out better mpgs. Then spend 3k on the brakes, and call it a day and save yourself about 15 grand, and have a much better track day weapon on their hands.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-15-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
No thanks...

Save your hand for the kids on Myspace that believe you or enjoy your talking yourself up.
Yeah like you!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 AM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not talking down on anything old geezer. Simmer down. I'm actually defending the mustang from all the people talking down on it. Wait you did read the post right. Buddy.
Got my post backwards - I am questioning why you defend the Mustang so hard.

No doubt the GT500 goes the fastest down the strip per $ spent, but the Vette is a superior track weapon. No hard feelings, no fanboy, just fact.

The GT500 would have a crapload of trouble lasting 20 minute sessions.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 AM
superchevy32
Advanced

The brakes on a stang need a lot more than just some DOT 4. If that were the case ford would spend the extra .20 an fill it up with DOT4...... Unless they know they are already overpriced an that many fewer woman would buy them.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oicw
Got my post backwards - I am questioning why you defend the Mustang so hard.

No doubt the GT500 goes the fastest down the strip per $ spent, but the Vette is a superior track weapon. No hard feelings, no fanboy, just fact.

The GT500 would have a crapload of trouble lasting 20 minute sessions.
I agree with you!!!!! I know it's not a track monster it'll probably tip over lol I'm just saying for what it does right the GT500 is one hell of a trouble maker. I'm no fan boy either. Just stating facts as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
oicw
Racer

Originally Posted by quicksupra
I can guarantee it takes more than DOT4s and PSS tires to make the GT500 track worthy.

1st, it very likely comes with DOT-4, and 2nd, the PSS is not much better than GY Supercar G2s. Besides, stickier tires only make things worse.

The Z06 at 700 lbs lighter and 160 hp less, and no heat soak issues, can BARELY hold up to track duties stock!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 AM
oicw
Racer

I know it's not a track monster it'll probably tip over lol

Gotta give it to you, almost spat out my beer. And coming from a Busa owner, that's pretty bad I kid, I kid
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oicw

Gotta give it to you, almost spat out my beer. And coming from a Busa owner, that's pretty bad I kid, I kid
That's messed up.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Learn to read........
OK! Ding, Ding, Ding; You win........

Perhaps you should learn proper sentence structure and writing techniques.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 01-15-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: ????
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kaneda
Am i missing something here? I get the Vette will run circles around the Stang on a track, but line up the side view mirrors on a highway and the Stang will run away from the C7.

Given both Dodge and Chevy had no clue Ford would screw both them over with the bang-for-buck in the Shelby, but the bar was raised, and Chevy didn't really show us anything that was WOW with regards to power.

Funny how LOW 450bhp sounds now isn't it?
yes, you are missing something. This is the base corvette that came out. Compare it to the base mustang, not the shelby. Plus even the base corvette now looks amazing. Much better than the dated looking shelby. Enough with the past, bring on the future, and the new corvette is definately more modern and slick.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 AM
wachuko
Racer

Originally Posted by kaneda
Am i missing something here? I get the Vette will run circles around the Stang on a track, but line up the side view mirrors on a highway and the Stang will run away from the C7.

Given both Dodge and Chevy had no clue Ford would screw both them over with the bang-for-buck in the Shelby, but the bar was raised, and Chevy didn't really show us anything that was WOW with regards to power.

Funny how LOW 450bhp sounds now isn't it?
Fit an finish of the C7 is worlds apart from the Shelby... as a car nut, I would not mind having one of each parked in the garage. As someone with limited funds, only the C7 will find its way into my garage. First American sports car in the family.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Track, Track, Track....... I love hearing the butthurt replies of corvette owners who have had their egos bruised. Even though most of these screams are coming from the "waxer" crowd who couldn't even locate a track on their navigation equipped cars.

Bottom line, I like a friendly debate and both cars are undeniably great cars. Like someone else mentioned, I would love to have both of them (along with others) parked in my garage one day.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by superchevy32
No matter what you drive you should atleast be able to agree that every single person that says its apples and oranges is exactly right. The corvette has never been a dig car, it was not made to launch out of the whole. They were never designed for the dragstrip, people turn them into drag cars. Take the mustang to the the road course which is where the corvette thrives an she will put bus links on the gt. its all a matter of where a car makes its home.

You start talking dragstrip, you should be talking camaro..... But...... This isn't a camaro forum. Lol
A quick 1/4 mile time in a Corvette is a by product of the car's performance capabilities and not the goal of same. A relatively stock Corvette has never even looked at home on a dragstrip let alone looked like it was built to be there. I love the drags but don't go there to see Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To GT500 has 662bhp for 54K, C7 450bhp for 60K?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Xedes
Track, Track, Track....... I love hearing the butthurt replies of corvette owners who have had their egos bruised. Even though most of these screams are coming from the "waxer" crowd who couldn't even locate a track on their navigation equipped cars.

Bottom line, I like a friendly debate and both cars are undeniably great cars. Like someone else mentioned, I would love to have both of them (along with others) parked in my garage one day.

Butthurt?? Spoken finely from someone that has no other desire than to stir **** up and have a quick laugh.

Seems, if the details are true about the c7 and how well it will behave on a racetrack, then that would mean that chevy now has THREE.. count it THREE cars (two with backseats) that will raise hell over everything offered by ford right now.

Lets hope that new mustang is all that it is said to be because its not looking for ford right now. Chevy is building better track weapons and all that ford has is an overrated 5.0 and a 700hp shelby that is built to go against a car with 120hp less. Go figure.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
Butthurt?? Spoken finely from someone that has no other desire than to stir **** up and have a quick laugh.

Seems, if the details are true about the c7 and how well it will behave on a racetrack, then that would mean that chevy now has THREE.. count it THREE cars (two with backseats) that will raise hell over everything offered by ford right now.

Lets hope that new mustang is all that it is said to be because its not looking for ford right now. Chevy is building better track weapons and all that ford has is an overrated 5.0 and a 700hp shelby that is built to go against a car with 120hp less. Go figure.

Lol at this. Focus ST, SHO, SVT Raptor, Mustang 5.0/GT500. Ford is assraping Chevy right now with performance cars/trucks. Quit being a biased brand nut rider. How many of you guys have actually USED your car for its purpose? Or do you just read the magazines and go "Oh, my car is fast on corners" AWESOME,i'm better than everything else!!!!! While going on your weekly 65 mph cruise in your bone stock base model car?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
quicksupra
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
the 3.73 is an option you can check (and should if we're going all out on Performance)

the SVT handling package is mandatory if you pick the 3.73 gearing.

I just built one on fords site to see the cheapest I could make a shelby Gt500 and have it have the performance goodies (save for the seats... I could see someone being 'tarded enough to not spend the extra 1500 on the seats after spending the dough on the handling package).

At 53,600 the car would basically on the exterior minus like one badge look just like a mustang GT (and not even a premium GT), and have all the most important goodies, save for the seats. (there is no option to get brake ducts, or better brakes on the thing.. which is problematic given what Motor Trends testing showed. You'd have to go to the aftermarket for that to be taken care of so you can add another 3k probably to the price of the overall car if you are serious about Track Duty)

Which makes me wonder, why would anyone even buy the GT500 when they can just buy the GT Standard, put a centrafugal supercharger (or even better a turbo) on it, get the same or Better ponies, and flat out better mpgs. Then spend 3k on the brakes, and call it a day and save yourself about 15 grand, and have a much better track day weapon on their hands.
There is no option for 3.73 gears. There's a typo on fords site. Car and driver called the brakes strong btw. I'm not saying it will out handle a c7 but its not a 69 Lincoln either. I've owned both the zo6 and gt500. The vast majority will never reach the handling limits on either car.

Quick Reply: GT500 has 662bhp for 54K, C7 450bhp for 60K?