C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 has 662bhp for 54K, C7 450bhp for 60K?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie M
Does the $54,000 rustang have solid rear axle?
Yes, that is until the new lighterweight, irs model comes in next year. Then there will be even more comparisons to the corvette than there is now.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
Yea, but that can also come down to the driver. Fact is that one thing this test shows is that more sports oriented or track oriented cars such as the Lambo, Mc, and Nissan are much fasted than tanks like the Mustang and Camaro. It certainly demostrates what better aero dynamics and lower weight can provide over brute power. You can bet that once the higher end C7's arrive with their higher output engines, the pecking order will change a bit. You can certainly bet that the Zl1 and Shelby will be looking at the rear of the C7 at that stage.

What would be really interesting is where the base c7 would fall in this race. 580HP pigs compared to a more stealth like 450HP C7.. I'd bet it would be closer than many would expect.

At the end of the day, I still feel that most Corvette people like the Vette for a lot of reasons beyond just HP. Mustang and Camaro people are all about HP and could give a crap about how they handle on a race track with actual turns. Mustangs and Camaro's are more raw where as a Corvette is more refined just like their perspective buyers.
Well that is certainly one way to look at that race. Personally I'm impressed that the GT500 can pull a 4th place finish in a field like that. Shows that Ford built a freaking beast of a car and did it for less than 60k. The same can be said about Nissan and their Godzilla (GTR). That also is a beast that's put many exotics to shame.

I know I don't fall under the description of a Corvette guy or a Mustang guy, I'm a car guy. I can appreciate cars in all shapes, sizes and manufacturers. If Yugo came out with something that impressed me I would give them the kudos they deserve and if I owned a Lamborghini and thought it was a POS, I would say so. My ego isn't so fragile that I can't concede to a better vehicle or give due props to a vehicle that's just as good as the one I have. Then again, that's just me.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by kaneda
Am i missing something here? I get the Vette will run circles around the Stang on a track, but line up the side view mirrors on a highway and the Stang will run away from the C7.

Given both Dodge and Chevy had no clue Ford would screw both them over with the bang-for-buck in the Shelby, but the bar was raised, and Chevy didn't really show us anything that was WOW with regards to power.

Funny how LOW 450bhp sounds now isn't it?
Go buy your mustang.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM
yakapo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would a C7 owner feel if he/she lost a race to a GT500?

Not much different than a GT500 owner would feel after losing a race to a crotch rocket or a traxxas x01.

btw, the x01 does 0-100 in 5.0 seconds. The gt500 takes 7.7 seconds.

Last edited by yakapo; 01-14-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slief
.... At the end of the day, I still feel that most Corvette people like the Vette for a lot of reasons beyond just HP. Mustang and Camaro people are all about HP and could give a crap about how they handle on a race track with actual turns. Mustangs and Camaro's are more raw where as a Corvette is more refined just like their perspective buyers.

People who buy a Corvette are generally looking at the overall performance capabilities of the car, not just paper racing and bar/country club bragging rights.

I'm a car guy and like all performance cars, and have since the 50s. The Mustang and Camaro are awesome, but different than the Corvette. Just pay your money, take your choice, and respect the other person's choice.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by yakapo
How would a C7 owner feel if he/she lost a race to a GT500? .
Old statement, and I've posted this before: We don't give a damn!

I bought my first 'vette, a 300 327 roadster, in 1967 and loved it. There were many other muscle cars in addition to some Camaros and Mustangs that would beat me on the strip. The girls still liked gracing the passenger seat of my 'lowly' Corvette.
If I wanted to play with the big boys, I could plunk down the additional money then for some equalizing power. And we can do that yet today.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
tonyalex95
Advanced

Having owned the Shelby GT 500 I can honestly say there is no comparison. In the standard trim (no mods) the HP is Impossible to put to the road. You either spin the car or the tires! And any GT500 owner who is honest will tell you that. Wonderful to have 600 HP at 100 MPH plus but not at launch. It's to light in the rear and overpowered by HP. The Corvette is better all around and a true spors car which the GT500 is not. No comparison amigo.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Neither the price nor the final power output are known a this time (or if they are, then I'm a little out of the loop). So this thread is premature.

... But while the power output (if it stays at 450) is a bit disappointing to me, especially given what cars like the GT500 are capable of, this is still a silly comparison. Even with 200 less hp, the Vette will likely still beat a GT500 around most tracks with most drivers, stock for stock.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-14-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
yakapo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Old statement, and I've posted this before: We don't give a damn!
Exactly. That was implied if you read the rest of my post. =D

Last edited by yakapo; 01-14-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by tonyalex95
Having owned the Shelby GT 500 I can honestly say there is no comparison. In the standard trim (no mods) the HP is Impossible to put to the road. You either spin the car or the tires! And any GT500 owner who is honest will tell you that. Wonderful to have 600 HP at 100 MPH plus but not at launch. It's to light in the rear and overpowered by HP. The Corvette is better all around and a true spors car which the GT500 is not. No comparison amigo.
Bingo!

I love that even a stock showroom car cannot use 1st under WOT, even with a decent tire. The GT500 is a good bargain as you are getting an upgraded drivetrain from the factory but the chassis or essentially the "car" itself is just not comparable. Completely different platforms.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM
StevenStarke
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 11 Posts

HP doesn't dictate the car. There are 80k porsches with <400hp.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM
quicksupra
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Traded in my 2009 zo6 for my 13 gt500. People do cross shop these cars. The vast majority of owners will never see a road course. The difference in handling in street driving isn't a huge deal IMO . Trying to reach the handling limit on the street in either of these cars is nuts. Owners will put the foot to the floor on the street and drag strip in both of these and the gt500 competes well there. The stock tires work when it's warm out but are useless in cold weather. Same as stock good years on the zo6. I've run 11.2 at the track bone stock which is comparable to the zo6 best time. The gt500 has better seats ,interior and fits four people. I'm also finding it to be more reliable . The vette rode better, stopped better and got way better gas mileage . If the c7 can come close to the old zo6 in performance with its upgraded interior and electronics I might be a buyer
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by acannell
maybe i am trolling now...i dont even like the mustang and would never buy one...

but wait it shouldnt be as fast or faster than a brand new model of vette at a lower price...
NOT NECESSARILY! Should all those people who bought $70K Caymans be embarrassed because a cheaper Vette will probably beat them in a straight line and on most tracks? No -- they are looking for something that the Cayman satisfies at the expense of what the Vette gives. How about folks buying an Aston at 2X - 3X the price?

I have zero interest in a Mustang for a zillion reasons -- and would never cross-shop. That does not make them bad, nor bad deals for the money. But, I don't think any amount of money sunk into a Mustang with say the same performance as a Vette would give me the other "stuff" I get from the Vette.

This is such a dopey argument. I mean, I don't get folks who buy Rolexes when there are Timexes that are as good or better at telling time and just as "tough" or tougher. But, if you want what a Rolex delivers, you buy one.

This whole thread depresses me that people compare these things over HP. Chevy will eventually get sick HP into the Vette, and you will pay $$$$ for it. But, still less than a comparable exotic, and more than a comperable Stang. You'd think folks would have figured that out by now...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
Yes, that is until the new lighterweight, irs model comes in next year. Then there will be even more comparisons to the corvette than there is now.
I doubt it. It will be compared with the next Camaro as usual.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torch Z
NOT NECESSARILY! Should all those people who bought $70K Caymans be embarrassed because a cheaper Vette will probably beat them in a straight line and on most tracks? No -- they are looking for something that the Cayman satisfies at the expense of what the Vette gives. How about folks buying an Aston at 2X - 3X the price?

I have zero interest in a Mustang for a zillion reasons -- and would never cross-shop. That does not make them bad, nor bad deals for the money. But, I don't think any amount of money sunk into a Mustang with say the same performance as a Vette would give me the other "stuff" I get from the Vette.

This is such a dopey argument. I mean, I don't get folks who buy Rolexes when there are Timexes that are as good or better at telling time and just as "tough" or tougher. But, if you want what a Rolex delivers, you buy one.

This whole thread depresses me that people compare these things over HP. Chevy will eventually get sick HP into the Vette, and you will pay $$$$ for it. But, still less than a comparable exotic, and more than a comperable Stang. You'd think folks would have figured that out by now...
But the thing is that the Vette has typically been the fastest car you could buy for the price... It appears that *may* no longer true. Although I suspect that the C7 will still be faster than a GT500 on most actual race tracks. You know, those things where you actually have to turn.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

hotties don't like mustangs
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
hotties don't like mustangs
Hotties like 8+ inches. They don't care what you deliver it in.

Get notified of new replies

To GT500 has 662bhp for 54K, C7 450bhp for 60K?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the deal. My old C5 will walk cars worth 10x as much. Does it make it faster? Yes. Better? In most cases, no.
A Corvette is a Corvette, and the C7 delivered. A Corvette will always be better than a mustang.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
StevenStarke
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 11 Posts

I was going to buy a C6 Z06 or an 08 Z51 and ended up buying a 2011 mustang GT SOLELY because I needed backseats at the time. For every person NOT willing to cross shop there are others that will. I'm not sure why a lot of you guys make these blanket statements that you think apply to everyone.

The base model vette didn't need to have more than 450hp IMO If it in fact shaved some weight. And I'd almost guarantee it's underrated and makes around 420whp-430whp stock. They also may have left a little room on the table to make a little more power in a few years, (maybe 475hp?) I think Chevy knows what they're doing and I have a good feeling they will have no problem selling these cars. A lot of you guys get wrapped up in #'s when in fact all you do is PUT around in these cars and sit in folding chairs on sunday afternoons at firehouses and parks anyway with your hoods popped on your stock or barely modded cars. 430hp was more than a lot could handle as it was and we all know how well the LS3 responds to mods so for the <10% of people that actually modify their vettes, they will be fine. These cars should be able to go 11.70's with minimal bolt on mods and make 600whp+ with a bolt on blower.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
apples and oranges,

And the shelby is unibody with no real frame and not even close to as balanced
Put the GT500 on the strip. It'll pull the **** out of a corvette. And from the looks of it. It'll be doing it to the c7 as well.

Quick Reply: GT500 has 662bhp for 54K, C7 450bhp for 60K?