Sponsored by:

So It's Official: No Dual-Clutch Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rybo
Which other sports car that is front engined comes in both RWD and AWD? There are none (The Panamera is not a sports car). There is no perfect car, the will always be concessions along the way.
What's interesting is that the GT-R, which is mentioned in this thread many times, is a front-engined, all-wheel-drive vehicle. I know that's not the same as having the option of RWD or AWD, but that tells me that it's entirely possible to make the Corvette AWD. If I were GM, wanted to do AWD, and saw the demand that AWD be an option and not be on all of the cars, I would do like the following:
  • "Stingray," "Z06," and "ZR1" would be package options like ZR-1 and B2K were during the C4 era.
  • There is one mass-produced frame for RWD and one smaller-scale frame for AWD.
  • Stingray is the base model and comes with the basic equipment with not a whole lot of customization available beyond transmission, colours, and infotainment suites.
  • Z06 is a stripper version with a more powerful NA engine starting with RWD that provides options for AWD, different suspensions, and basically anything under the sun for Corvette.
  • ZR1 is the *****-to-the-wall version featuring a blown motor, AWD, and all of the best performing options included in the price. All of the customizable options centre around things that make this Corvette visually yours, because it's already the fastest and most luxurious of the line.

Ultimately, though, I don't care what wheel drive Corvette is as long as the engine is up front and mounted longitudinally like it has been for the past 60 years. That's what defines the Corvette: looking like a vintage fighter plane on the streets with its long snout and rear-biased cockpit all the while being able to go really damn fast. Despite all of the pipe-dreams of a mid-engined Corvette, the day Corvette goes mid-engined is the day I stop caring about the car.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I am not into racing or getting my track times down. I just want to enjoy driving the C7 on normal streets and highways. I enjoy shifting for myself as that is a big part of my driving experience and could care less about a DCT and how efficient and quick it shifts. I care about how efficient and quick I shift.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I found it really interesting that during the presentation of the C7 no mention was made of the Automatic at all. They did say the manual would be a new 7 speed. I am hoping that in the next year or 2 a new automatic will be available. And thats if, there is a new automatic coming. Just remember in 2005 the 4 speed automatic remained for one year of the C6. The paddle shift automatic came out in 2006. I read when the paddle shift first came out that it would handle 650 HP plus. As to why Chevrolet never allowed the paddle shift in the Z06 or ZR1 was just a bad decision on Chevrolets part, IMHO. My point is, its all about we the customers, having options in what we want and will buy. Callaway puts the automatic in their 606 HP Corvette so they apparently have faith in the paddle shift auto for their HP Corvettes. I think Chevrolet/Corvette just made a very poor business decision. Chevrolet/Corvette keeps shooting for the younger market. Most of the younger folks cant afford a new Corvette. They are getting married, starting families, buying a home, Paying off college loans, etc. They should not forget about the older market, ya know, the ones that can actually afford to lease or own a Corvette. Many of my Corvette friends feel the same as I do, we just dont want a clutch anymore. It is going to be very interesting that when the C7 Z06 and ZR1's come out, is the automatic an option ...

Last edited by PaulB; 01-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
jumper5836
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427 C5
Good. Take your BS with you.

Your posts make it obvious your know nothing about DCT, how they work, the advantages, and how much faster and more efficient they are on UPSHIFTS.
Rev matching downshifts are a joke and not even and important factor in this comparison.
WTF do you think active rev matching does? Same thing bud but you still got a clutch pedal and haven't turned into a compete *****.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Axial
What's interesting is that the GT-R, which is mentioned in this thread many times, is a front-engined, all-wheel-drive vehicle. I know that's not the same as having the option of RWD or AWD, but that tells me that it's entirely possible to make the Corvette AWD. If I were GM, wanted to do AWD, and saw the demand that AWD be an option and not be on all of the cars, I would do like the following:
  • "Stingray," "Z06," and "ZR1" would be package options like ZR-1 and B2K were during the C4 era.
  • There is one mass-produced frame for RWD and one smaller-scale frame for AWD.
  • Stingray is the base model and comes with the basic equipment with not a whole lot of customization available beyond transmission, colours, and infotainment suites.
  • Z06 is a stripper version with a more powerful NA engine starting with RWD that provides options for AWD, different suspensions, and basically anything under the sun for Corvette.
  • ZR1 is the *****-to-the-wall version featuring a blown motor, AWD, and all of the best performing options included in the price. All of the customizable options centre around things that make this Corvette visually yours, because it's already the fastest and most luxurious of the line.

Ultimately, though, I don't care what wheel drive Corvette is as long as the engine is up front and mounted longitudinally like it has been for the past 60 years. That's what defines the Corvette: looking like a vintage fighter plane on the streets with its long snout and rear-biased cockpit all the while being able to go really damn fast. Despite all of the pipe-dreams of a mid-engined Corvette, the day Corvette goes mid-engined is the day I stop caring about the car.
How big of a car do you want?

GTR is taller and 500 lbs heavier.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I never cared for the agricultural feel of the Z06 clutch compared to a 911. This is why I was looking forward to the Aisin 8 speed because I thought the car would have a tighter , less sloppy feel.

What is the ratio of autos to manuals sold?

GM did not talk about the auto because it is incredibly embarrassing .
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
C'mon, dude.
The 911 is small and it has all wheel drive, dual clutch, turbos, AND a back seat.

The GTR is large and fat because it uses the Skyline/G37 chassis.
I HATE ricers and was the biggest hater of the GTR when it was released.
But, look at the performance that fat GTR was able to achieve with DCT and AWD.
Give the corvette all the available weapons to fight for it's rightful place at the top. DCT and AWD need to be made OPTIONS.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM
epic
Racer

Originally Posted by mousemaster
I owned a C3 for 13 years. I was hoping to pick up a C7 for track duty with the club. However, without a dual clutch I will search for something else. If Chevy lets it slip that there will be a DCT eventually, I might wait for it.

Chevy?
Absolutely agree. GM is behind the times with this stuff. I want to track my fun car but can't because it's auto. I drive it to work and don't want to fuss with a manual. DCT would be excellent for my needs. I wish I could remove the paddles in my C6 because I wan't to forget that the option is even there.

I've been in some of the latest and greatest DCT cars including the Mp4-12c, 458 Italia, and new Porsches. They are a thing of beauty. I'll admit, the early DCT options kind of sucked and were wonky, but these new ones are neck-snapping quick without the major bucking or stalling at low speeds. Before the price issue is brought up, I think the Porsche PDK is a bargain for how well it performs and those are knocking in the C7 price range.

Seeing some of the responses from the manual fanatics putting others down for their choice in transmission will definitely make it easier leaving this community. Grow up - people like different things. I like knowing my car is performing at the top of it's game and consistently and that's what the DCT promises.

Last edited by epic; 01-14-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jumper5836
WTF do you think active rev matching does? Same thing bud but you still got a clutch pedal and haven't turned into a compete *****.
I'm not your buddy.
*****?

I rev match myself while heel toe-ing my manual cars.
I don't need a computer to do it for me.
But, DCT offers a huge jump in performance above simple rev matching.

You should go educate yourself on DCT and quit insulting strangers while hiding behind your computer screen.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by epic
Absolutely agree. GM is behind the times with this stuff. I want to track my fun car but can't because it's auto. I drive it to work and don't want to fuss with a manual. DCT would be excellent for my needs. I wish I could remove the paddles in my C6 because I wan't to forget that the option is even there.

I've been in some of the latest and greatest DCT cars including the Mp4-12c, 458 Italia, and new Porsches. They are a thing of beauty....

Let's look at this objectively:

1) DCT is on all top-flight road racing cars now. It is faster and quicker. It is easier to drive. Corvette needs it. I have driven Porsche's version and it will make you very happy.

2) The new Corvette will weigh a little more, as I understand it. Well, you guys got the nicer interior you always wanted and it adds weight. You gets some, you gives some.

3) The Corvette still has composite leaf springs. It should have cockpit adjustable coil-overs. C'mon. The old transverse leaf springs are obsolete.

4) The new Corvette engine will be grand, as they always are, and we'll see about the brakes but they appear very good.

5) Styling. I like it okay, but I'll let it sit for a while before deciding. I hope it has a really good Cd and negative lift and really stays stuck at high speeds. That is the best kind of styling for me.

6) I hope it is really easy to add harnesses without doing much to the interior.

7) I hope it is easy to add track performance options--preferably from the factory. Coolers, gumball tires, etc. I would like to be able to pick and choose from an option sheet instead of order an entirely new car model, a la ZR1, Grand Sport, etc.

That is about all I have now. Still, good to finally see the new beast. Can't wait for independent test numbers to surface.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

C'mon, dude.
The 911 is small and it has all wheel drive, dual clutch, turbos, AND a back seat.

The GTR is large and fat because it uses the Skyline/G37 chassis.
I HATE ricers and was the biggest hater of the GTR when it was released.
But, look at the performance that fat GTR was able to achieve with DCT and AWD.
Give the corvette all the available weapons to fight for it's rightful place at the top. DCT and AWD need to be made OPTIONS.
Actually, the last version and current version of the 911 are exactly the same length as the C6 (less than one inch) and weigh more.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,839 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

You need to show your work here, but:

Find me a DCT that can both
  • Deal with the LT1's 450lb-ft of torque
  • Be installed without significantly increasing the car's cost

Let me know what you come up with, and make sure those transmission vendors are interested in doing business with GM at the sales numbers the Corvette will likely generate. Remember that the car basically needs to hit the low-mid $50k price range, give or take., so assume an MSRP of $55k. I haven't a clue what the Corvette actually costs GM to build, but I'd bet it's probably around the low $20k range. Factor all of that into your decision please.

jas
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

You guys do realize that on the track, where lightning quick shifts may be needed, most guys swap in a clutch pack for a regular tranny. This eliminates the heavy flywheel that causes a lag in synchronized shifting. More than one driver has been asked if his car has sequential shifter with the clutch pack. Is an overly complicated tranny really needed on the street or, for that matter, track day weekends? Perhaps a high performance version may be given an upgraded tranny but it is not needed for a base model in my opinion. YMMV.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Monts
I think you're missing the point. It is all going toward paddles (at least in the upper end sports cars round the world). It is the future...
So are DOHC engines...

jas
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jvp
You need to show your work here, but:
Find me a DCT that can both
Nope.
That's GM's job.

Nissan did it. Hell, even VW's have DCT transmissions.
Porsche offered the PDK without a significant price increase.
So, it can be done.
There is no excuse.
GM failed with C7 transmission.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72

GTR is taller and 500 lbs heavier.
If legislators keeps up with their "minimum nose height" and other "pedestrian safety in event of getting hit by vehicles which is going to result in serious injury regardless if getting by popped up lights or narrow nose matters" baloney, it won't matter what size car we want because we'll all be driving blunt bricks.

That said, the GT-R is also DOHC, so cut some height off for the GM push-rod. Also, if I really was GM, I'd actually be looking to ditch reciprocating engines from my lineup of cars completely as they are ancient and unnecessary for either performance or economy driving in this day of electric motors, fancy ultracapacitors, and gas turbines that can run off of anything combustible. That makes both the AWD/RWD debate and size discussions related to it moot.

If GM did something like that, the other auto makers would be scrambling to follow suit. That would be interesting: GM leading the pack again instead of playing catch-up...

Anyways I really am not into the whole RWD/AWD debate, I was just thinking out loud since providing the option for AWD or RWD was suggested. Similarly, I'm a manual transmission guy, thus the use of a DCT or auto doesn't really concern me. That said, if a traditional torque-converter auto can be made to shift just as effectively as a DCT, I don't really see any reason not to use one.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Nope.
That's GM's job.
OK, so you're showing your hand here: you don't actually know what's involved in engineering, building, and validating a vehicle. Gotcha.

There is no excuse.
(I gave you 2 hints as to the excuses...)

I'm not arguing the performance advantages of a DCT with you. The point I'm making is that it's actually NOT that easy given all of the constraints the Corvette team had in place. But if you don't understand the "joys" of building a new car, it's not likely you're going to understand this. :-)

GM failed with C7 transmission.
Good to know, and I'm sure the car will be a complete sales flop due to the missing DCT. Just like the missing DOHC engine and the missing turbo chargers, and the missing....

Oh, wait a sec. Silly me.

jas

Get notified of new replies

To So It's Official: No Dual-Clutch Option

Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RafaC5
It will happen with time.

You should be buying the 7 speed anyway
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
There is no need for it. With Active Rev Matching on a manual transmission is the perfect solution it doesn't require the extra weight that dual clutch or some other automatic transmission comes with. It keeps the enjoyment there where paddles take all the enjoyment out of changing gears away. With rev matching it should decrease shift times and keep the rev's from dropping and closing the gap of the so called flappy paddle advantage.

I just hope there would be an off switch for it so we that can do it our selves can do so ourselves when we want to. Then when your in competition mode you can turn in on and not be at a disadvantage to those that have all ready switched to allowing the computer to do everything for them because they couldn't develop the skill.
FYI, from the Press Release:

"The seven-speed manual incorporates rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. This driver-selectable feature can be easily engaged or disengaged via paddles on the steering wheel. The seven-speed is used with a new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia. The transmission with the Z51 Performance Package includes specific close-ratio gearing for more aggressive driving."

Some of you have mentioned how it makes no sense to have paddle shifters on a manual transmission car, this explains that it is not a paddle shifter at all and is in fact a toggle switch to enable/disable the rev-match feature.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM
NY1180-b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Raitzi
I was hoping for Aisin 8-speed at launch... Serious let-down as the rest of the car is so amazing.
I have heard nothing but good things about that Aisin unit. The LT1's torque curve might have been a problem with that unit.
It is good in the IS-F

Quick Reply: So It's Official: No Dual-Clutch Option