Sponsored by:

several serious reasons the C7 is inadequate

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 AM
acannell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattkilla2015
Hell yes that gets me excited. You obviously don't know what it means and are indeed trolling. Bye bye

Looks like im still here. And "LS7 like torque curves" still sounds like salesperson gibberish mean to misdirect people.

Like saying the frame is 99 lbs lighter, when the car is 100 lbs heavier.

What a co-inky-dink!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

One of your gripes is the C7 not having LED headlights. I don't know if I missed something but from what I understand there isn't a single manufacturer that has made an LED headlamp. Nearly every high end anything has Bi-xenon headlights due to their superior performance.

I certainly hope you didn't actually mean an LED or a series of LED's would somehow replace an HID with Ballast setup. Because as of yet there isn't anything like that, as they are incredibly inferior and for them to even compete with an HID system the amount of heat produced by said LED's causes a series of issues for Automakers.

Now, BMW is using lasers in prototype headlights, but still has yet to use them in production vehicles. Where Audi and others trying to play catch up are using led's as turn signals and DRLS. The C7 has a Bi-Xenon projector with HID's, along with white led DRL's and separate amber turn/hazard led's.

This just happened to be one of the gripes that stood out as ridiculous, perhaps you should rethink what it is exactly you're upset about.
DJROBJ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

For all the whiners and haters here. If you think you can do a better job on designing a Sports Car than what GM has done here, STFU, open up a car company, and call me in a couple of years when your ready to sell your 650HP, 0-60 in 2.9s, 1/4 mile in 10.3, 39k Super Car.

Please. As someone who's been a member on this board for almost 14 years, I'm embarrassed with all this non-sense. Some real immature whiny folks here. Why don't you whiners go back to your Toyota Celica's with those 9" Fart Cans.
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to compare this car to a base C6....not a Z06 or ZR1...those come later. If you need the 638HP I think GM still has a few on the lot, and that car is faster than the new Viper, and the GT500, and alot of others. As GM tinkers with this model it will get faster still.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 AM
oicw
Racer

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Because HP/L is a meaningless number. Try HP to engine weight. The 5L Coyote motor is externally similar to the LT1 and weighs almost the same, makes less torque, and the weight is concentrated much higher due to the DOHC heads.
Exactly, well said.

We can even state the LS7 weights roughly the same as a coyote, more compact, and makes 90 more hp.

LS7 makes 505 hp per cam, Coyote makes 104. LS7 makes 31.5 hp per valve, Coyote makes 12.8. Z06 makes 252.5hp per floor mat, Mustang makes 104...
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by acannell

1- the jump from C5 to C6 was a 50 hp increase!! the C6 to C7 is 14? isnt that a K&N filter on the LS3? they say the torque is like the LS7 at low rpms..will have to see how relevant that is.

2- the base C6 was as fast as the previous Z06!! The C7 will weigh more than the C6 Z06 and have 50 hp less power....is that supposed to be exciting? Im not saying the base C7 should be a C6 ZR1..but its been 8 years!!! The C7 should be breaking the C6's records in a big way!

3- when the C6 came out with 400hp, it had *100HP* more than the brand new mustang...the C7 with 450HP isnt doing anything special..thats just average now for sports cars

4- this car needs to be in the solid mid 11's with a mid to low 3 second 0-60 to be exciting, especially at $59 grand.

5- this car has no links to the stingray..calling it that is ridiculous...it doesnt have the curves and it doesnt have the mystery

Heres what the C7 SHOULD have been:

200 lbs lighter..figure it out GM
better seats and a somewhat nicer interior
535 hp
11.4 quarter mile, 3.4s 0-60
LED headlights (not LED DRL's)
NOT a camaro rear end

$55000 base model with those specs
I do not know where you get your information. I record the times for the 1/4 mile challenege in the tech section. The base C6 has never recorded a stock time faster than a C5Z.

The new Mustangs are much heavier than our Corvettes. You can not compare a Mustang to a Corvette let alone a GT500 to the Base Corvette.

Our 08 and newer Corvettes have run times as fast as high 11, low 12 second quarter mile times in stock trim with goodyear run flats.

Note the narrow bodies run faster than the GS. The C7 should be at least one tenth faster and that is not taking into account the new tires.

Many of us are fans of "you can never have enough horse power" but remember you have to be able to get it to the ground ....as it is 430-436 HP can be more than a hand full in cooler temps on the stock rubber

Time will tell, once we have a few CF members with some serious seat time you will see some very impressive numbers
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 AM
acannell
Instructor

Originally Posted by nvusgt
One of your gripes is the C7 not having LED headlights. I don't know if I missed something but from what I understand there isn't a single manufacturer that has made an LED headlamp. Nearly every high end anything has Bi-xenon headlights due to their superior performance.

I certainly hope you didn't actually mean an LED or a series of LED's would somehow replace an HID with Ballast setup. Because as of yet there isn't anything like that, as they are incredibly inferior and for them to even compete with an HID system the amount of heat produced by said LED's causes a series of issues for Automakers.

Now, BMW is using lasers in prototype headlights, but still has yet to use them in production vehicles. Where Audi and others trying to play catch up are using led's as turn signals and DRLS. The C7 has a Bi-Xenon projector with HID's, along with white led DRL's and separate amber turn/hazard led's.

This just happened to be one of the gripes that stood out as ridiculous, perhaps you should rethink what it is exactly you're upset about.
Wrong. GM made full LED headlights in 2008. Jeez man is this what the Corvette forum is all about? Im used to the turbo dodge forum where people actually know things.

Sorry if thats rude.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Cadill...dlights-25910/
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Price need to be lowered.

Cost too much and it's the first year car. The second year model will only cost more. $$$How many price increases Does chev, have in a year on the average on the Corvette?
They're not going to raise the price of the base Corvette by $5400.00 in just one model year.
My guess is $53k MSRP (or less?) for the base model 2014 Corvette.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 AM
acannell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tommy D
The new Mustangs are much heavier than our Corvettes. You can not compare a Mustang to a Corvette let alone a GT500 to the Base Corvette.
So if I see a lap time within a couple seconds (faster or slower) than a Corvette, I'm just supposed to ignore it?

Many of us are fans of "you can never have enough horse power" but remember you have to be able to get it to the ground ....as it is 430-436 HP can be more than a hand full in cooler temps on the stock rubber
Hence the Zr1 being slower than the Porsche 911 Turbo which had 130 horsepower less but was almost a second faster in the 1/4 mile. Hence me thinking GM should have focused on traction and more power instead of weighing more and barely any power increase.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 AM
acannell
Instructor

Originally Posted by oicw
Exactly, well said.

We can even state the LS7 weights roughly the same as a coyote, more compact, and makes 90 more hp.

LS7 makes 505 hp per cam, Coyote makes 104. LS7 makes 31.5 hp per valve, Coyote makes 12.8. Z06 makes 252.5hp per floor mat, Mustang makes 104...
How much power does the C7 have per fanboy?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 AM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

1- the jump from C5 to C6 was a 50 hp increase!! the C6 to C7 is 14? isnt that a K&N filter on the LS3? they say the torque is like the LS7 at low rpms..will have to see how relevant that is.

2- the base C6 was as fast as the previous Z06!! The C7 will weigh more than the C6 Z06 and have 50 hp less power....is that supposed to be exciting? Im not saying the base C7 should be a C6 ZR1..but its been 8 years!!! The C7 should be breaking the C6's records in a big way!

3- when the C6 came out with 400hp, it had *100HP* more than the brand new mustang...the C7 with 450HP isnt doing anything special..thats just average now for sports cars

4- this car needs to be in the solid mid 11's with a mid to low 3 second 0-60 to be exciting, especially at $59 grand.

5- this car has no links to the stingray..calling it that is ridiculous...it doesnt have the curves and it doesnt have the mystery

Heres what the C7 SHOULD have been:

200 lbs lighter..figure it out GM
better seats and a somewhat nicer interior
535 hp
11.4 quarter mile, 3.4s 0-60
LED headlights (not LED DRL's)
NOT a camaro rear end

$55000 base model with those specs
According to C7 engineers; your info is not valid. It completely wrong!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hence the Zr1 being slower than the Porsche 911 Turbo which had 130 horsepower less but was almost a second faster in the 1/4 mile.
Huh? According to who?
You REALLY need to stop quoting car magazines as your ONLY source of information, it really hurts your credibility.

NO stock Porsche Turbo (Turbo S included) has ever beaten the quickest 1/4 mile ET/MPH recorded for a bone stock Corvette ZR1. They have come real close though.

Bone stock C6 ZR1:

Same exact car with ONLY a rear wheel/tire swap:

Real world, NOT just magazines.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 AM
C3DeedlyDee
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

So if I see a lap time within a couple seconds (faster or slower) than a Corvette, I'm just supposed to ignore it?

Hence the Zr1 being slower than the Porsche 911 Turbo which had 130 horsepower less but was almost a second faster in the 1/4 mile. Hence me thinking GM should have focused on traction and more power instead of weighing more and barely any power increase.
A couple seconds is an eternity on the racetrack.

Pretty sure they did focus on traction since they're claiming sub 4-second 0-60 times for the base model. Expecting the same kind of off the line traction as a car with AWD and a rear weight bias is just plain silly and naive.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 AM
oicw
Racer

How much power does the C7 have per fanboy?
Bit more than per hater.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 AM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nvusgt

huh? The new Audi A6 offers complete LED headlamps. I've seen them on the road.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 AM
acannell
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Huh? According to who?
You REALLY need to stop quoting car magazines as your ONLY source of information, it really hurts your credibility.

NO stock Porsche Turbo (Turbo S included) has ever beaten the quickest 1/4 mile ET/MPH recorded for a bone stock Corvette ZR1. They have come real close though.

Bone stock C6 ZR1:

Same exact car with ONLY a rear wheel/tire swap:

Real world, NOT just magazines.
What makes a run at a drag strip any more accurate than a run by a magazine?

You should really stop using youtube videos for your information, it really hurts your credibility.

Should we only look at the fastest ZR1 time slips?

I arbitrarily choose the 11.235s time from the 1/4 mile list, just like you arbitrarily chose the 10.6 time.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...fast-list.html
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 AM
acannell
Instructor

Originally Posted by C3DeedlyDee

Pretty sure they did focus on traction since they're claiming sub 4-second 0-60 times for the base model. Expecting the same kind of off the line traction as a car with AWD and a rear weight bias is just plain silly and naive.
What rear weight bias? Its 50/50. Tell me more.

Get notified of new replies

To several serious reasons the C7 is inadequate

Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM
acannell
Instructor

Originally Posted by C3DeedlyDee

A couple seconds is the difference a driver can make. Which is the difference between the GT500 and modern Corvettes on the track.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Raitzi
Racer

NO 8-speed automatic!!!! Still has same slow 6-speed
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/13/2...re-is-to-know/
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11