Sponsored by:

several serious reasons the C7 is inadequate

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by acannell
What makes a run at a drag strip any more accurate than a run by a magazine?

You should really stop using youtube videos for your information, it really hurts your credibility.

Should we only look at the fastest ZR1 time slips?

I arbitrarily choose the 11.235s time from the 1/4 mile list, just like you arbitrarily chose the 10.6 time.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...fast-list.html
Magazines are well known to have horrible times dating back to as long as I can remember. If a magazine ran 15.6 in the ZR1, would you quote that? Why wouldn't you quote the lowest time, in all stock trim, that you could find? It doesn't make since to pick higher times for no reason.

Power and weight are both big factors in 1/4 mile performance, but there are many other variables that make a huge impact. You should focus on the whole picture, and wait for actual performance numbers, before jumping to conclusions on what the C7 is capable of in stock trim.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Brady Kohuth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My message to all the posts,why is everyone so shook up ? This is the base model. They aren't going to bring out the best and then later show the base model. I love the new look and I have a C6 GS and no I'm not jealous. I think everything about it is cool,including the rear-end. So many of these posts seem to be nit-pickers and I think it is sickening. Do you have any idea how many engineers worked on this project ?

The base model is not going to have huge horsepower numbers,because believe it or not,some people want a Vette for long trips and DO want mileage. So,if you want more performance,you'll just have to go up a step or two. Some people are perfectly content with base model performance,so quit ridiculing someone of this nature.

Now for comparing a Mustang to a Vette,their is no comparison, including the Volkswagon powered 911. Mustangs should be compared to the Camaro and let the housewives drive the Mustangs.

Whenever a new product comes out,it will always be compared to the new and most people do not like change. The C7 hasn't been driven,tested or even have real numbers,yet so many people are critical it is almost laughable. To the true Vette lovers,everything will be ok,but to the others who love your Mustangs,911's and *** cars,get off this site and talk with your critical buddies about how "wonderful" your car is over the Vette,especially after you get blown away at the track or street and paid more for your creation. Further,to the people that cannot afford one,buy a Mustang or a Scion and quit bitching on this site. Most costs today are due to the Federal Reserves inflation,not because GM is greedy.

So,who is going to pick a fight with me ?????????????!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM
duc1098
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brady Kohuth
My message to all the posts,why is everyone so shook up ? This is the base model. They aren't going to bring out the best and then later show the base model. I love the new look and I have a C6 GS and no I'm not jealous. I think everything about it is cool,including the rear-end. So many of these posts seem to be nit-pickers and I think it is sickening. Do you have any idea how many engineers worked on this project ?

The base model is not going to have huge horsepower numbers,because believe it or not,some people want a Vette for long trips and DO want mileage. So,if you want more performance,you'll just have to go up a step or two. Some people are perfectly content with base model performance,so quit ridiculing someone of this nature.

Now for comparing a Mustang to a Vette,their is no comparison, including the Volkswagon powered 911. Mustangs should be compared to the Camaro and let the housewives drive the Mustangs.

Whenever a new product comes out,it will always be compared to the new and most people do not like change. The C7 hasn't been driven,tested or even have real numbers,yet so many people are critical it is almost laughable. To the true Vette lovers,everything will be ok,but to the others who love your Mustangs,911's and *** cars,get off this site and talk with your critical buddies about how "wonderful" your car is over the Vette,especially after you get blown away at the track or street and paid more for your creation. Further,to the people that cannot afford one,buy a Mustang or a Scion and quit bitching on this site. Most costs today are due to the Federal Reserves inflation,not because GM is greedy.

So,who is going to pick a fight with me ?????????????!!!!!!!!!!

me me me me... lol....
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

A couple of stupid questions... since I either missed this info during the roll-out or it wasn't there... why is everyone talking about HP per liter from a 6.2 ? isn't the C-7 a 5.5L ? (ok I also missed Fitchner Chevy's post making the 6.2 official so I stand corrected.. as does Road & Track, Car & Driver, and every other car rag for the past 14 months) Also not sure why some people think the 7 gear transmission will help much... I know very few people talented enough to get to 4th gear in 10 seconds... Given the Obamanomics of the situation, wouldn't that extra gear be probably dedicated to fuel mileage ???

Last edited by Leprkon; 01-14-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
midnightbluS10
Advanced

Originally Posted by manfromuncle
It does NOT have Camaro tail lights. I own a Grand Sport 4LT and a Camaro ZL1 and I am here to tell you those tail lights are not even close to Camaro. It is the one thing many have latched on too in order to spew their discontent for a car they didn't like anyway. Find another reason to spread your BS!
Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one that see things for what they actually are.

You’ve probably seen, heard, or read the misinformed notion that the 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray has “Camaro taillights”. Having read yet another comment stating this to be the case, I decided it was time to set the record straight and put an end to this “Camaro lights” lunacy once and for all.

For starters, it’s important to recognize the concept of a design language. Sometimes known as a design vocabulary, a design language is an overarching theme that guides the design of a complementary set of products (or other elements of the product). Since both the Corvette and Camaro are performance vehicles from Chevrolet, it should come as no surprise that the two vehicles might utilize some common inspiration in their respective designs.

But that’s not to say that the C7′s lights are the same as those found in the Camaro. While they may appear to have a similar design aesthetic, the lights on the Corvette are much more intricate, with a three-dimensional and sculpted lens housing using indirect LED lights. In fact, Corvette designers drew inspiration for the C7 from fighter jets and the stingray animal, so while the overall aesthetic of the rear lights might appear similar to that of the Camaro thanks to common elements of a design language, the pieces don’t share any parts.

And for those who need quantitative proof that the C7′s rear lights don’t share any physical elements with those of the Camaro, look no further than the rear ends of both vehicles: the C7′s lights have five (six on the outside) distinct corners, while those of the Camaro have four. That’s pentagonal vs. tetragonal, for you math geeks. Knowing this, would someone ever compare the design of the Pentagon to that of a shipping container? No, they wouldn’t.

So can we stop with the insane Camaro comparisons? At the least, don’t call them “Camaro taillights”.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/02/...ro-taillights/
Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Raitzi
Racer

1- the jump from C5 to C6 was a 50 hp increase!! the C6 to C7 is 14? isnt that a K&N filter on the LS3? they say the torque is like the LS7 at low rpms..will have to see how relevant that is.

2- the base C6 was as fast as the previous Z06!! The C7 will weigh more than the C6 Z06 and have 50 hp less power....is that supposed to be exciting? Im not saying the base C7 should be a C6 ZR1..but its been 8 years!!! The C7 should be breaking the C6's records in a big way!

3- when the C6 came out with 400hp, it had *100HP* more than the brand new mustang...the C7 with 450HP isnt doing anything special..thats just average now for sports cars

4- this car needs to be in the solid mid 11's with a mid to low 3 second 0-60 to be exciting, especially at $59 grand.

5- this car has no links to the stingray..calling it that is ridiculous...it doesnt have the curves and it doesnt have the mystery

Heres what the C7 SHOULD have been:

200 lbs lighter..figure it out GM
better seats and a somewhat nicer interior
535 hp
11.4 quarter mile, 3.4s 0-60
LED headlights (not LED DRL's)
NOT a camaro rear end

$55000 base model with those specs
You are in a market for a dragster and yet you fail to see that mustang is the right car for you. Nothing you mention would make C7 better sports car than C6.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by FiberglassFan

Im keeping my C5.....and in a few years I'm sure its going to cost a boatload of mony to keep going...but if this is the alternative to go newer, NO THANKS, I'll keep my oldster running....

Okay, you can't afford a new Corvette, we get it. There's a lot of things that can be said about a c5 but I'll refrain from engaging in such tomfoolery. They are all Corvettes and each have their time and place in History.
Its Just odd that you choose to come to the c7 forum to announce that you don't plan on buying one, think ill make my way over to the c5 section to let everyone know I'm buying a c7 Stingray!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

lol looks like i hit a nerve.
Nope, they are just trying to help you understand how delusional you are..
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trend over the last few years with ridiculously escalating horsepower figures has to hit critical mass soon and come tumbling down. Don't get me wrong, I love horsepower and it is always thrilling to know that your car has xx more horsepower than the other guy but things now are just going nuts--at least for the "typical" driver. When I bought my 1995 Corvette it had 300 horsepower and was plenty of power for my daily driver needs. Now we are seeing numbers that are getting up into the 500 and 600 range and I wonder how many normal folks can really handle that and, if so, where exactly are they needing to handle it other than a dragstrip.

There was a video a while ago that was making its way on the internet taken by some guy behind two Corvettes (I think a C6 and C5) on some local street/highway somewhere stopped at a light. When the light turned green they took off and dragged each other until shortly one guy lost control taking out both of the Corvettes. I have to believe this is what would happen to most folks buying 600 horsepower AMG Mercedes, or GTR's or Bentley's or whatever and attempting to show off their horsepower.

Last edited by DougSilver; 02-10-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

A great car is so much more then hp/tq, 1/4mi, 0-60 numbers.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

To the OP, what are you 14 years old with your rationing?

And what would you expect for $120K, 1200 HP?

No other car under $90K would match the C7's overall performance. Then add the high quality interior filled with nice technology, sexy looks, exotic materials and you have to go much higher than $100K.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I want one....
Old 02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

this interior is more interesting and just screams POWER, you can practically smell the danger and unburnt hydrocarbons..the C7 looks like a vending machine that emits skim milk

sorry thats a little low...im pissed

If you don't like the C7 then don't buy it. Your complaints sound more like those of a 16 year old keyboard racer then as an actual adult. You talk about how cool the C2 and C3 interiors were, then stick to those, bias ply tires and all.

Seriously tho the thought that people like you will get to own the same car as me really makes me hope GM will have some sort test that potential owners have to pass before being able to get behind the wheel
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

1- the jump from C5 to C6 was a 50 hp increase!! the C6 to C7 is 14? isnt that a K&N filter on the LS3? they say the torque is like the LS7 at low rpms..will have to see how relevant that is.

2- the base C6 was as fast as the previous Z06!! The C7 will weigh more than the C6 Z06 and have 50 hp less power....is that supposed to be exciting? Im not saying the base C7 should be a C6 ZR1..but its been 8 years!!! The C7 should be breaking the C6's records in a big way!

3- when the C6 came out with 400hp, it had *100HP* more than the brand new mustang...the C7 with 450HP isnt doing anything special..thats just average now for sports cars

4- this car needs to be in the solid mid 11's with a mid to low 3 second 0-60 to be exciting, especially at $59 grand.

5- this car has no links to the stingray..calling it that is ridiculous...it doesnt have the curves and it doesnt have the mystery

Heres what the C7 SHOULD have been:

200 lbs lighter..figure it out GM
better seats and a somewhat nicer interior
535 hp
11.4 quarter mile, 3.4s 0-60
LED headlights (not LED DRL's)
NOT a camaro rear end

$55000 base model with those specs
coming from 2 vettes , I have to agree with you.

There is NO excuse for the C7 to run low 12s @118. I dont care if it weighted the same, just give the car some *****.

I am waiting for the Z07. I hope the motor will be forged and a respectable 580-600HP.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
coming from 2 vettes , I have to agree with you.

There is NO excuse for the C7 to run low 12s @118. I dont care if it weighted the same, just give the car some *****.

I am waiting for the Z07. I hope the motor will be forged and a respectable 580-600HP.

I guess we can all play "wish. . Reality is what it is... But it is fun nether the less...
Old 02-10-2013, 03:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Aozora

Okay, you can't afford a new Corvette, we get it. There's a lot of things that can be said about a c5 but I'll refrain from engaging in such tomfoolery. They are all Corvettes and each have their time and place in History.
Its Just odd that you choose to come to the c7 forum to announce that you don't plan on buying one, think ill make my way over to the c5 section to let everyone know I'm buying a c7 Stingray!
Why don't you tell us about the Corvette you currently own. Then tell us about all the corvettes you have owned before your current one.

If you don't currently own a Corvette, then why are you on the Corvette Forum?

If you currently own a Volvo, why don't you go post on the Volvo forum, and let us Corvette owners alone.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Why don't you tell us about the Corvette you currently own. Then tell us about all the corvettes you have owned before your current one.

If you currently own a Volvo, why don't you go post on the Volvo forum, and let us Corvette owners alone.
That is not a very nice welcome to a potential Corvette buyer. When considering almost any car I have always first lurked around the forums for those cars to try and scope out the pluses and minuses of ownership. This guy is probably just doing his due diligence before purchases.

Get notified of new replies

To several serious reasons the C7 is inadequate

Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoesC5

News flash, nobody here owns a c7 but most who are here intend to own one in the near future. Why are you here?
Nice to meet you, Its always good to have a fan.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DougSilver
That is not a very nice welcome to a potential Corvette buyer. When considering almost any car I have always first lurked around the forums for those cars to try and scope out the pluses and minuses of ownership. This guy is probably just doing his due diligence before purchases.
Probably not, but I get tried of hearing those that believe only they are entitled to discus(good0) the C7 because they "can afford one and plan to buy one", and any one that discusses the C7(bad) should get out of the C7 section. Well, it works both ways.

Hope he does purchase a new C7 as GM will need the sales......bad. But, those of us that have purchased new Corvettes in the past, are the reason there is a Corvette for him to purchase later this year.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aozora
News flash, nobody here owns a c7 but most who are here intend to own one in the near future. Why are you here?
Nice to meet you, Its always good to have a fan.
Well, tell us about the Corvette you currently own. What makes you so special that you are entitled to make posts in the C7 section, as you don't own a C7 either.

I currently own a C1, C2 and a C6 so I have reasons to belong to this forum. If you don't currently own a Corvette, of any generation, why are you here? Since I don't own a C7, I'm not allowed to participate in the C7 section, but you are? LOL

If you feel you are entitled to belong to the Corvette Forum, particularly the C7 section, yet don't own a Corvette, then why are you saying others aren't?

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-10-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: several serious reasons the C7 is inadequate