Sponsored by:

Retro look for new C7 would be nice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
and not sacrafice any of that to appease a small few who are stuck in the 60's or 70's. Sure that old girlfriend might seem better now that she is gone but there is a reason why you kicked her to the curb!
lol I'm actually 33 and I like the retro rendering quite a bit, wasn't around int the 60's or 70's. But seems like I'm a minority here.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
lol I'm actually 33 and I like the retro rendering quite a bit, wasn't around int the 60's or 70's. But seems like I'm a minority here.
I'm 44 but I feel 33!! I own a 68 Camaro and LOVE that car. I would LOVE a 57, 58, 59 or even a 60 Vette. I've owned 2 C6's and would love a C7. However, taking one of the best modern American sports cars and turning it into a Michael J Fox GM rendition of Back To The Future just doesn't do it for me. It's a modern day sports car that in my humble opinion should progress by coming up with new designs and not progress by digressing into designs of yesteryear. They already did that with the Camaro, the Mustang as well as other American muscle cars. Leave it to the muscle cars. Once you go retro, where do you go from there? 180* in the other direction I could only assume.

Imagine if Lamborghini morphed the Countach into their next car. Or how about Ferrari taking a 308 or a Mondial or Testarossa and morphing it into their latest design... The classic Ferrari guy or Lambo guy might like it but most modern exotic sports car enthusiast would shudder at the thought as it makes no sense.

Modern day sports cars owe a lot of their performance and efficiency to aero dynamics. Modern wind tunnels have done wonders for sports cars! Be it with how they cut through the air or how they use downforce to keep them on the ground. The Corvette has improved with every generation in that regard. A movement to retro would most certainly be step back as far as advancing the body design with regards to drag coefficiency. One that would more than likely compromise the edge that GM has over its competitors. The C6 ZR1 beat the latest viper on the track not because of horse power but because body design, suspension, power to weight ratio, chassis design etc. You can put lipstick on a pig but.... Well, it didn't help the next gen Viper did it??

Last edited by slief; 01-11-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:59 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

PLEASE NO MORE RETRO. I don't want a retro TV, computer, refrigerator, lawn mower, clothes, politics, laws or Corvette.

let the past be the past and let's look forward.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Docderek05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
Having built and owned 1969 small block, back in 1974..yes..I can see the nostalgia, but I think as most currrent owners do, we need to move forward, not back.. 1969 coupe, sbc, hooker headers four into one sidepipes, cragars all around, but I cannot see going back to this "old school"

Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately, many still think of the t-top era C3 and their Bubba or Guido image from the 70s when they hear the name " Corvette" , so , no, I don't think retro sells for the Vette name, which itself carries a lot of baggage in some demographic buyer groups .
Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Docderek05
Racer

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
unfortunately, many still think of the t-top era C3 and their Bubba or Guido image from the 70s when they hear the name " Corvette" , so , no, I don't think retro sells for the Vette name, which itself carries a lot of baggage in some demographic buyer groups .
whoa.."Bubba and Guido", you pretty much insulted both the North, and South, in one fell swoop..cool...

as for being a "guido"...I built my car in the day, to the sense and sensibilities of my peer group, and enjoyed every damn minute of it,
I hope all of you did the same, it was an animal of a car in the day...and I am glad to have been a "guido" in a black '69 hot rod.
now that i am an old, fat, bald guy..I wish I still was a "guido" !! How bout you Bubba's?!..
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Within the younger crowd, "Corvette" evokes the "everybody has one," "it's a Chevy," and "plastic car" sentiments. And from the people I've talked with, most of them prefer the looks of the C3 and C4. They like the swooping lines of the former and the sharp edges of the latter.

That said, I don't think a full on retro-Vette would be a good idea. Doing a new spin on a classic design element can work, but no direct ports and certainly don't modernize an entire style. Each generation needs to have its own identity, and none should be known as the "C3 2.0" or what have you.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Docderek05
whoa.."Bubba and Guido", you pretty much insulted both the North, and South, in one fell swoop..cool...
now that i am an old, fat, bald guy..I wish I still was a "guido" !! How bout you Bubba's?!..
We " always young at heart" baby boomers all are, but at some point we have to acknowledge the days of our 1960s " endless summers " are now FIFTY years ago !

Imagine us boomer kids hearing tales about Teddy Roosevelt and World War I from gramps...roll eyes.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Docderek05
Racer

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
We " always young at heart" baby boomers all are, but at some point we have to acknowledge the days of our 1960s " endless summers " are now FIFTY years ago !

Imagine us boomer kids hearing tales about Teddy Roosevelt and World War I from gramps...roll eyes.
Yeah but...do ya have to rub it in so blatantly !!! lol..

well..I guess Sunday will be D-Day..let's see what the Gods at the Big G have unleashed on us mere mortals...

Last edited by Docderek05; 01-12-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So you want retro?? Sorry...
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SoCalFRC
Retro styling is what you do when engineers run out of ideas, and executives run out of the determination to demand more. I've hated retro styling since day one.
Yep.

If you want a retro. Go buy an old car.

I want something that looks new, fresh, different, futuristic. Not old, been there, done that, less creative. Give me next generation. You can keep the 1970's look.. right in 1970.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black shadow
there is some retro in the new c7

c4 interior
Truer words have never been spoken here.

Quick Reply: Retro look for new C7 would be nice