Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
and look dry sump on left

So all cars dry sump ? hmmmmm

Keeks showed 2 motors and one had an oil cap so this cant be the base one ??

No oil cap in LT4
so which one they unvailing ?

That looks kinda like a dry sump tank on the left, but the steel strap that holds the "baby Bump" to the main tank is located differently from the C6's dry sump tank. I would think that if they are designing a new/different tank for the C7, that they would eliminate the "baby bump" to save money, as it was an afterthought for the Z06/ZR1 to increase the volume of the tank.

Anyway, GM has said that the dry sump system is an "available" option for the C7, meaning it won't be standard equipment on all C7's.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
ichyrowe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after looking at these new frames from the vid and seeing the big shadow looking blotch in the center, i call split window hatch
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM
phatmaxx87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking at the panel gap picture. I think there is no way that is the front. there is nowhere for the head light to go. look at that picture and show me where the head light is supposed to go. even with the front bumper cover off, the head light still patrudes into the fender, almost to the top of the wheel well. Its the back with no rear glass i think. The body lines would line up with the tail lights, the rear end just drops off and it all curves into the center line of the car. IMHO, there is no way that is the front fender, its the rear drivers quarter.

-Vance

Last edited by phatmaxx87; 01-10-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

No oil cap in LT4

The 2015 LT4 will of course have a dry sump. The 2014 LT1 base version will be 6 quart wet sump with a 13 quart dry sump system optional, likely as part of a Z-something performance package.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Not all that different from what?

Perhaps I have an over-active imagination. I though it resembled the center section of this frame. In an earlier shot it does not yet have the side rails attached.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

This has sure been a crazy week. I think all this anticipation has given some of us brain fade. Guys are revisiting old renderings and re-questioning things we thought were settled months ago . Even the aluminum frame has been questioned, an issue I thought was confirmed long ago. But who has time to go back and re-research all these things?

In just a few days we'll all be able to finally get a good nights sleep and not be preoccupied re-analyzing all these details
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The green shows the same welds as the in the video...post #140.

BTW, lets not forget NANO STEEL!!

"Its enough of a breakthrough that it has gotten the attention and investment of General Motors and its investment subsidiary, GM Ventures. "We are investing in NanoSteel because of the opportunity associated with their new steel alloy technology," says Jon Lauckner, GM's Chief Technology Officer, Vice President of Global R&D and President of GM Ventures LLC. "Over the next several years, light-weighting of vehicles will be a major focus area to improve fuel economy. NanoSteel's nano-structured alloys offer unique material characteristics that are not available today, making them a potential game-changer."

Last edited by User 2623; 01-10-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phatmaxx87
looking at the panel gap picture. I think there is no way that is the front. there is nowhere for the head light to go. look at that picture and show me where the head light is supposed to go. even with the front bumper cover off, the head light still patrudes into the fender, almost to the top of the wheel well. Its the back with no rear glass i think. The body lines would line up with the tail lights, the rear end just drops off and it all curves into the center line of the car. IMHO, there is no way that is the front fender, its the rear drivers quarter.

-Vance
It's the camera angle and position that's fooling you. The camera is down low shooting almost horizontally. When I'm sitting in my C6, I can't see the headlights either as my line of sight is almost parallel to the ground. In fact I can't see the headlights on any of my cars if I squat down and sight forward along the top of the fender.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

-Vance
look closer and watch the video
it is the front ,,, with no front bumper on it, and the hole is the vent in hood
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by matthewelle

"Its enough of a breakthrough that it has gotten the attention and investment of General Motors and its investment subsidiary, GM Ventures. "We are investing in NanoSteel because of the opportunity associated with their new steel alloy technology," says Jon Lauckner, GM's Chief Technology Officer, Vice President of Global R&D and President of GM Ventures LLC. "Over the next several years, light-weighting of vehicles will be a major focus area to improve fuel economy. NanoSteel's nano-structured alloys offer unique material characteristics that are not available today, making them a potential game-changer."
Do you have the names of any automobile companies that are presently using NanoSteel for their automobiles? I'm talking actual production vehicles on the road today or will be on the road within the next 6-9 months, not experiments for the future.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-Vance
Well, then the rear end is about a 1.5' wider at the top of the back fender than it has looked in the past from these spy shots. This first shot is from the first teaser video from GM...

Last edited by BlueOx; 01-10-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Do you have the names of any automobile companies that are presently using NanoSteel for their automobiles? I'm talking actual production vehicles on the road today or will be on the road within the next 6-9 months, not experiments for the future.
They changed it, so it would change you.
Nothing wil be the same.

Auto Executive Bob Lutz Joins Board of Directors
------------------------------------------------------
Election brings exceptional leadership, design and performance engineering experience to NanoSteel’s automotive steel product development

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Wednesday, October 10, 2012) – The NanoSteel® Company, a leader in nano-structured steel materials design, today announced the appointment of global automotive industry visionary Bob Lutz to the company’s Board of Directors.

Connecting the dots....?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

-Vance
Well, then the rear end is about a 1.5' wider at the top of the back fender than it has looked in the past from these spy shots.

With both of you....
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

No oil cap in LT4

Maybe a base and a performance version. It couldn't hurt. Everyone doesn't want a base model everyone doesn't want the performance model. Release them both at the same time.....then I woke up!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wil be the same.

Election brings exceptional leadership, design and performance engineering experience to NanoSteel’s automotive steel product development

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Wednesday, October 10, 2012) – The NanoSteel® Company, a leader in nano-structured steel materials design, today announced the appointment of global automotive industry visionary Bob Lutz to the company’s Board of Directors.

Connecting the dots....?
This is very old news here. I brought it up months ago.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Nothing wil be the same.

Connecting the dots....?
That's not what I asked. Lutz being on the BOD doesn't mean that a single vehicle is currenty being built of NanoSteel.

Board Of Directors

Scott Ungerer

Chairman of the Board

Scott Ungerer is founder and managing director of EnerTech Capital. Mr. Ungerer has been a visionary and recognized leader in venture capital investing for the traditional and advanced energy sectors for nearly 20 years. With an extensive and proven track record in investment and management operations, he specifically looks for opportunities that reduce the cost and/or improve the customer experience related to all aspects of energy supply, delivery and usage. Mr. Ungerer’s areas of experience, interest and expertise include companies that sell into the following industry sectors: central and distributed power generation; electric transmission; electric, natural gas and/or water distribution; energy management for the customer premise; broadly defined smart grid; and transportation. Mr. Ungerer has worked with more than 15 early-to-mid stage companies providing strategic and operational guidance as a board member and investor. He currently sits on the boards of The NanoSteel Company (chairman), Tangent Energy Solutions and N-Dimension Solutions, and is a board advisor to Enbala Power Networks. Mr. Ungerer shares his expertise and viewpoints with the core energy/power industry through participation in select organizations: board member of the NIST created Smart Grid Interoperability Panel (SGIP), and chairman of the Executive Committee; member (and former chairman) of the VC Advisory Board for the National Renewable Energy Lab. Prior to forming EnerTech, Mr. Ungerer spent 16 years in the power industry as an operating executive with Atlantic Energy, culminating in his role as one of five senior officers and as president and COO of the company’s entire set of non-regulated enterprises. Mr. Ungerer received a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Princeton University.

Jim Goldinger

Jim Goldinger co-founded TD Capital Ventures in 2001 and Fairhaven Capital Partners in 2007. Mr. Goldinger has invested and served on the boards of companies including: Cocona, Contour Semiconductor, HelloSoft, innoPad, Lilliputian Systems and SiRiFIC Wireless. Mr. Goldinger was the Chief Technical Architect for the Content bridge division of Adero, Inc, performed strategy consulting at Bain and has held several senior technical roles at Motorola, Inc. Mr. Goldinger earned a B.S. and M.S. in electrical engineering from MIT and an M.B.A. from MIT’s Sloan School of Management.

Robert A. Lutz

Robert A. Lutz has enjoyed a 47-year career in the global automotive industry, including senior leadership positions at four of the world’s leading automakers. Most recently, Mr. Lutz was vice chairman of global product development at General Motors. Since leaving GM, he founded Lutz Communications, a universal business consulting firm with an emphasis on businesses in motion. In addition to Mr. Lutz’ consulting work, he is also an automotive industry analyst and a contributor for CNBC. Mr. Lutz also serves as Chairman of The New Common School Foundation, is a member of the Board of Trustees for the U.S. Marine Corps University Foundation and is Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, Texas. He also serves on the Board of Directors of Via Motors and Transonic Combustion and on the advisory boards of Alexander Proudfoot, Lotus Cars and Current Motor.

Leonard M. Anthony

Leonard M. Anthony has more than 25 years of public company financial management experience including two significant industrial IPOs and the restructuring of a $5 billion company. Mr. Anthony has been a director and audit committee chairman for MRC Global (MRC), the largest global distributor of pipes, valves and fittings for the energy industry that completed a successful IPO. Additionally, Mr. Anthony is a director of Guardian Industries, a leading global producer of glass for the construction and automotive industries, and TechPrecision Corporation (TPCS), a producer of large scale, high precision components for energy, medical and defense markets. Previously, Mr. Anthony was president and CEO of $1B integrated steel producer WCI Steel, Inc. where he led the successful sale of the company to OAO Severstal. Prior to this, Mr. Anthony was executive vice president and chief financial officer at Dresser Rand Group, Inc., a global supplier of rotating equipment solutions in oil & gas, petrochemical and processing industries. Mr. Anthony held similar senior level financial positions with International Steel Group and Bethlehem Steel Corporation. Mr. Anthony earned a B.S. in accounting from The Pennsylvania State University and an M.B.A. from The Wharton School at The University of Pennsylvania.

Richard MacKellar

Richard MacKellar is a serial entrepreneur who has worked with Chrysalix team members for a decade. As an engineer, Mr. MacKellar started his career with NEI Parsons, a division of Rolls Royce that designed turbines and generators for power generation. He worked on Drax, the largest coal fired power station in Europe and Bruce, the largest Nuclear station in the world. Rolls Royce fully funded his MBA studies where he moved from England to Boston, then continued working for Rolls Royce in Canada, again supplying power equipment to the electric utility industry. For the past sixteen years, Mr. MacKellar has been running venture backed startup companies. Most recently, as President and CEO, he successfully sold BrightSide Technologies to Dolby Laboratories for an annualized return for investors of 45-60%. Prior to this, he was President/CEO of NxtPhase, raising $57 million in venture capital and building relationships with GE, Honeywell and Mitsubishi as well as the three largest Canadian utilities and three of the larger U.S. utilities. Mr. MacKellar holds a metallurgy degree from Sheffield University and an MBA from Harvard Business School.

Name one auto company that any of the members of Nano Steel BOD are currently working for, including Robert Lutz.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

So.... ???
You advocate there can not be a break through of any kind?
Or production use in any percentage of nanosteel.

Hell of a lot of Bailout money went to the company.
Gov wants it paid back makes sense they might have shared a technological advantage to make it very cost effective to use it.

You've got significant investment and interest in it by GM.
You have a GM insider on the board of Nanosteel.
You have a video that brings about some specualtion as to the metals used.

Corvette would be the perfect venue to announce it.

So I'm reading the tea leaves: Beware the Ides of March.

That's not what I asked. Lutz being on the BOD doesn't mean that a single vehicle is currenty being built of NanoSteel.

Board Of Directors

Scott Ungerer

Chairman of the Board

Scott Ungerer is founder and managing director of EnerTech Capital. Mr. Ungerer has been a visionary and recognized leader in venture capital investing for the traditional and advanced energy sectors for nearly 20 years. With an extensive and proven track record in investment and management operations, he specifically looks for opportunities that reduce the cost and/or improve the customer experience related to all aspects of energy supply, delivery and usage. Mr. Ungerer’s areas of experience, interest and expertise include companies that sell into the following industry sectors: central and distributed power generation; electric transmission; electric, natural gas and/or water distribution; energy management for the customer premise; broadly defined smart grid; and transportation. Mr. Ungerer has worked with more than 15 early-to-mid stage companies providing strategic and operational guidance as a board member and investor. He currently sits on the boards of The NanoSteel Company (chairman), Tangent Energy Solutions and N-Dimension Solutions, and is a board advisor to Enbala Power Networks. Mr. Ungerer shares his expertise and viewpoints with the core energy/power industry through participation in select organizations: board member of the NIST created Smart Grid Interoperability Panel (SGIP), and chairman of the Executive Committee; member (and former chairman) of the VC Advisory Board for the National Renewable Energy Lab. Prior to forming EnerTech, Mr. Ungerer spent 16 years in the power industry as an operating executive with Atlantic Energy, culminating in his role as one of five senior officers and as president and COO of the company’s entire set of non-regulated enterprises. Mr. Ungerer received a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Princeton University.

Jim Goldinger

Jim Goldinger co-founded TD Capital Ventures in 2001 and Fairhaven Capital Partners in 2007. Mr. Goldinger has invested and served on the boards of companies including: Cocona, Contour Semiconductor, HelloSoft, innoPad, Lilliputian Systems and SiRiFIC Wireless. Mr. Goldinger was the Chief Technical Architect for the Content bridge division of Adero, Inc, performed strategy consulting at Bain and has held several senior technical roles at Motorola, Inc. Mr. Goldinger earned a B.S. and M.S. in electrical engineering from MIT and an M.B.A. from MIT’s Sloan School of Management.

Robert A. Lutz

Robert A. Lutz has enjoyed a 47-year career in the global automotive industry, including senior leadership positions at four of the world’s leading automakers. Most recently, Mr. Lutz was vice chairman of global product development at General Motors. Since leaving GM, he founded Lutz Communications, a universal business consulting firm with an emphasis on businesses in motion. In addition to Mr. Lutz’ consulting work, he is also an automotive industry analyst and a contributor for CNBC. Mr. Lutz also serves as Chairman of The New Common School Foundation, is a member of the Board of Trustees for the U.S. Marine Corps University Foundation and is Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, Texas. He also serves on the Board of Directors of Via Motors and Transonic Combustion and on the advisory boards of Alexander Proudfoot, Lotus Cars and Current Motor.

Leonard M. Anthony

Leonard M. Anthony has more than 25 years of public company financial management experience including two significant industrial IPOs and the restructuring of a $5 billion company. Mr. Anthony has been a director and audit committee chairman for MRC Global (MRC), the largest global distributor of pipes, valves and fittings for the energy industry that completed a successful IPO. Additionally, Mr. Anthony is a director of Guardian Industries, a leading global producer of glass for the construction and automotive industries, and TechPrecision Corporation (TPCS), a producer of large scale, high precision components for energy, medical and defense markets. Previously, Mr. Anthony was president and CEO of $1B integrated steel producer WCI Steel, Inc. where he led the successful sale of the company to OAO Severstal. Prior to this, Mr. Anthony was executive vice president and chief financial officer at Dresser Rand Group, Inc., a global supplier of rotating equipment solutions in oil & gas, petrochemical and processing industries. Mr. Anthony held similar senior level financial positions with International Steel Group and Bethlehem Steel Corporation. Mr. Anthony earned a B.S. in accounting from The Pennsylvania State University and an M.B.A. from The Wharton School at The University of Pennsylvania.

Richard MacKellar

Richard MacKellar is a serial entrepreneur who has worked with Chrysalix team members for a decade. As an engineer, Mr. MacKellar started his career with NEI Parsons, a division of Rolls Royce that designed turbines and generators for power generation. He worked on Drax, the largest coal fired power station in Europe and Bruce, the largest Nuclear station in the world. Rolls Royce fully funded his MBA studies where he moved from England to Boston, then continued working for Rolls Royce in Canada, again supplying power equipment to the electric utility industry. For the past sixteen years, Mr. MacKellar has been running venture backed startup companies. Most recently, as President and CEO, he successfully sold BrightSide Technologies to Dolby Laboratories for an annualized return for investors of 45-60%. Prior to this, he was President/CEO of NxtPhase, raising $57 million in venture capital and building relationships with GE, Honeywell and Mitsubishi as well as the three largest Canadian utilities and three of the larger U.S. utilities. Mr. MacKellar holds a metallurgy degree from Sheffield University and an MBA from Harvard Business School.

Name one auto company that any of the members of Nano Steel BOD are currently working for, including Robert Lutz.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 AM
cmdrwill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good Call

Originally Posted by BustedCrank
While it looks like the front end to me, upon seeing the render below, it makes me think again. The body lines for the front clip do not match up. In the picture above, shouldn't we be able to see the cutout on the fender for the headlight? In the renderings, the headlights come way up the fender, I am not seeing that in the above picture. Anybody catch what I am saying? Or am I way off base here? I usually rely on you guys to decipher all this for me, while I sit back and enjoy the benefits of your labor.

I agree, it cant be the front if the rendering is close.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

-Vance
It's the camera angle and position that's fooling you. The camera is down low shooting almost horizontally. When I'm sitting in my C6, I can't see the headlights either as my line of sight is almost parallel to the ground. In fact I can't see the headlights on any of my cars if I squat down and sight forward along the top of the fender.

look closer and watch the video
it is the front ,,, with no front bumper on it, and the hole is the vent in hood

Well, then the rear end is about a 1.5' wider at the top of the back fender than it has looked in the past from these spy shots. This first shot is from the first teaser video from GM...

Originally Posted by cmdrwill
I agree, it cant be the front if the rendering is close.
Check my Post #170

It's a view of the Front Passenger side Fender from a low angle, ( as mentioned )

If it was the rear, the Fender would Not be flaring outward that far from the high point of the sharp top edge before it reaches the wheel opening. ( like the Front Fender s do )
Regardless of what the Renderings show, the Rear Fender drops of Sharply from the high point of the sharp top edge.

Only way that could be the rear Fender is if there is large fender flares in the rear.
And, the Flare would have to be starting from .. the high point of the sharp top edge of the Fender

Quick Reply: Trailer 4 Creation