Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM opens new avenue of customization...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
walmartbread
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an application developer and a car lover, this would open so many fun doors for me. Some very, very fun doors.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Omg, now even my car can get a virus. Ain't this wonderful. Norton AV for GM/Ford/Chrysler... Wonder what this will cost...
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

New technology from vendors is driving this development for customization. Look at Nvidia's automotive interface platform that is open to developers. This is sick!!!!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-automotive.html
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

It will be interesting to see what comes out. How may apps do you really need in a car?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Actually it would be accurate as many performance options will be dealer installed. The brake duct sketch was just one example.

APPs I could give two craps about but dealer installed performance options has peaked my interest.

Thanks for the post!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

As a developer, this is great news. Also, the fact that the API supports HTML5 and javascript development means that building apps is going to be much faster and easier. It should open up a lot of possibilities. Of course the apps have to be approved but someone will crack the system and allow us homebrew developers to build non-sanctioned apps.
Imagine a track day app that shows all your buddies locations in real time on the map and allows you to record the whole thing. If you could add front mounted cameras you could have a whole swarm of cars with cameras logging content in real time.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ryoder
As a developer, this is great news. Also, the fact that the API supports HTML5 and javascript development means that building apps is going to be much faster and easier. It should open up a lot of possibilities. Of course the apps have to be approved but someone will crack the system and allow us homebrew developers to build non-sanctioned apps.
Imagine a track day app that shows all your buddies locations in real time on the map and allows you to record the whole thing. If you could add front mounted cameras you could have a whole swarm of cars with cameras logging content in real time.
Hey yea! Now even when I track my car I can drive with people who are paying more attention to their stereo display than they are to driving the car. This is gonna be great!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Hey yea! Now even when I track my car I can drive with people who are paying more attention to their stereo display than they are to driving the car. This is gonna be great!
Oh, you think the stereo is what it's about...:

The Sport Overlay displays the following vehicle metrics:
• Vehicle Speed: Up to three digits are displayed. Leading zeros are not displayed. The current speed is centered above the label. The label may change between MPH and km/h, depending on vehicle settings.
• Engine Rotations Per Minute (RPMs): The vertical line and triangle indicate current RPMs. As the RPMs increase the green back-fill follows.
• Transmission State (Current Gear): The numbers and letters displayed are dependent on the type of transmission in the vehicle. The types of transmissions are automatic or manual. The PRDN- is for automatic transmission vehicles, with the D changing to D1 or D2. Once the vehicle has shifted into drive, M1 or M2 are for automatic vehicles in manual shift mode. The 1 or 2 are for manual transmission vehicles.
• Lateral G-Force Graphic: Left and Right G-Forces are displayed the graphic fills to the left or the right depending on the measure value. The measured G-Force displays as a digital number as a digital number at the top of the graphic.

B]Performance Data Recorder...[/B]
[QUOTE]If equipped, the Performance Data Recorder (PDR) has an icon on the Home Page screen.
The PDR records video, audio, and vehicle data. This data is stored on an SD Card accessible by the driver
Old 01-11-2013, 09:15 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

That's OK, you can text them to tell 'em to pay attention to their driving.................
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Oh, you think the stereo is what it's about...:
Head unit, whatever you want to call it. That's fine. Look, I've been doing embedded systems work for a little over 20 years, and I've been programming since the late 70's. So yea, I used a generic term for what these people will be looking at (vs looking at the road). But, at least I know how to open and close a quote tag... Evidence to MORE programming experience... back to a day when applications programmers and systems programmers actually cared that they dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's.

Still don't need "apps" in my car... I can build CAN bus hardware now, what's this going to do for me, allow me to do the code for it in GWBasic?

HTML cripples the mind...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Head unit, whatever you want to call it. That's fine. Look, I've been doing embedded systems work for a little over 20 years, and I've been programming since the late 70's. So yea, I used a generic term for what these people will be looking at (vs looking at the road). But, at least I know how to open and close a quote tag... Evidence to MORE programming experience... back to a day when applications programmers and systems programmers actually cared that they dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's.

Still don't need "apps" in my car... I can build CAN bus hardware now, what's this going to do for me, allow me to do the code for it in GWBasic?

HTML cripples the mind...
So you wouldn't want to use that to record your track efforts??
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
So you wouldn't want to use that to record your track efforts??
What I'm saying is, I can do that now using the OBD port. If I want to build the thing myself, or buy one already commercially made, I can do that. So, any hacker can go cobble together a datalogger, and get all the data they want. When I'm tracking a car, I don't spend much time looking at the speedo. About all I care to see is an idiot light for oil pressure and temp, all the rest can wait till I'm done driving.

...the fact that the API supports HTML5 and javascript development means...
Means the code will be script, and will run so slow as to not be worth it for any serious datalogging. I don't see this as something new, other than to say they'll now have another interface available, and have made coding easier for those folks who don't care about the tradeoffs of such "features".

I'd be more excited if they said, 'We just gave you a new, higher bandwidth bus to talk to the car's onboard systems, and we're going to openly publish all the protocols for talking to said bus." Now I'll be impressed...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

What I'm saying is, I can do that now using the OBD port. If I want to build the thing myself, or buy one already commercially made, I can do that. So, any hacker can go cobble together a datalogger, and get all the data they want. When I'm tracking a car, I don't spend much time looking at the speedo. About all I care to see is an idiot light for oil pressure and temp, all the rest can wait till I'm done driving.

Means the code will be script, and will run so slow as to not be worth it for any serious datalogging. I don't see this as something new, other than to say they'll now have another interface available, and have made coding easier for those folks who don't care about the tradeoffs of such "features".

I'd be more excited if they said, 'We just gave you a new, higher bandwidth bus to talk to the car's onboard systems, and we're going to openly publish all the protocols for talking to said bus." Now I'll be impressed...
I certainly see your point...for you. Others won't have your abilities.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Looking a little further, I see they are also talking about licensing and "full certification" for developers. Methinks these = $$$$$ Cha Ching... This doesn't sound like some sort of open source initiative.

Hey, I may be wrong, but it seems pretty odd that they'd go from the full onboard diagnostics of the C5, to virtually none on the C6, and then allow something like this on the C7. To have it actually work well and offer some additional ability to the consumer? That's just not in GM's best interest unless there's some underlying hidden costs too. And I mean, in addition to the fees to actually become a developer and write code. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like Gm wants to skim what everyone writes as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 PM
OMG
Team Owner

I love how quickly this thread got buried, but a thread about the tail lights looking like the Camaro goes on for weeks...

This thread just shows the generational gap of the plumber owners and the newer markets that GM is aiming for. lol.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by OMG
I love how quickly this thread got buried, but a thread about the tail lights looking like the Camaro goes on for weeks...

This thread just shows the generational gap of the plumber owners and the newer markets that GM is aiming for. lol.
Very good point. I brought this thread and am one of the "old guys". I just noticed this capability but would likely never utilize it. I don't even have my HUD turned on!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM
brentil
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I actually registered the day it was announced and downloaded the SDK and documentation. I'm more interested in the in-car apps than the remote apps. I've got plenty of ideas for apps I already developed for smartphones that would be great for the in dash system.

Also like so many other topics there is so much misinformation in this thread about how the system works. The SDK documentation spells out all of the API features, times the apps can/cannot be used, accessibility to system resources, and restrictions to information. If there was more reading and less haters gonna hate this thread could have actually been useful instead of devolving into crap.

Get notified of new replies

To GM opens new avenue of customization...

Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM
OMG
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brentil
I actually registered the day it was announced and downloaded the SDK and documentation. I'm more interested in the in-car apps than the remote apps. I've got plenty of ideas for apps I already developed for smartphones that would be great for the in dash system.

Also like so many other topics there is so much misinformation in this thread about how the system works. The SDK documentation spells out all of the API features, times the apps can/cannot be used, accessibility to system resources, and restrictions to information. If there was more reading and less haters gonna hate this thread could have actually been useful instead of devolving into crap.
That's because *most* people don't buy the car to track it or do anything than parade around that they have a shiny expensive car and pose in front of it.

Anything that requires them to think about how to improve the car outside of aesthetics or bolt on's to say they have more power is completely ignored. I call it adult ricerism.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG
That's because *most* people don't buy the car to track it or do anything than parade around that they have a shiny expensive car and pose in front of it.

Anything that requires them to think about how to improve the car outside of aesthetics or bolt on's to say they have more power is completely ignored. I call it adult ricerism.
Well, maybe for some, but most of us old farts actually have a life beyond just our Corvettes, and spend time on other cars/activities/etc as well.

Time is valuable, and we don't spend it all on any one thing.

That said, I'd guess that your abilities in the area being discussed here far exceed mine and that of most on the Forum. Everybody's good at something; this appears to be your area of expertise.. Not so much so in my case.......

Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
brentil
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I wasn't even really referring to apps geared towards performance or track events. I make a route tracking app that lets you compare your daily routes to see which are really faster & efficient. After you use it long enough it can build a history and tell you things like "take this route because on Tuesdays at 6pm it's always the fastest." Or you can use it to determine which is the most fuel efficient because of the least amount of idle time and constant speed. So there you go, saving both time and money from the dash of your car!

Quick Reply: GM opens new avenue of customization...