C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Jalopnik Show their Actual Photos???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Will Jalopnik Show their Actual Photos???

I just re-read the original Nov. 14, 2011 Jalopnik.com Exclusive where they revealed the 2014 Corvette. http://jalopnik.com/5858683/exclusiv...chevy-corvette
... If you haven't read it lately, it's worth reading again. They have some specific information that HAS to be given weight since they so clearly were correct about the design 14 months ago. My question now, since they practically say they have actual photos, (but are not showing to preserve the job/jobs of their source) ... Will they show their ACTUAL photos on say ... Saturday night or Sunday morning???, .. or are showing which photos they used so clearly a clue for GM as to who leaked them that they cannot ever show the photos they built their renders from?

Exclusive: This is the 2014 Chevy Corvette
The exclusive images you see here, derived from hours spent secretly poring over the sheetmetal of two seventh-generation Corvettes, show the next step in the supercar's iconic evolution. These aren't photos, but this is absolutely the next-generation Chevy Corvette in ZR1 trim. GM so doesn't want you to see these.
Love it or hate it, the Chevrolet Corvette is an American icon. For most of its 60 years, the 'Vette's shown that a commodity-focused U.S. automaker can confound expectations and compete with the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini. The seventh-generation Corvette — or C7 Corvette — as fan-boys and GM insiders call it — is designed to further confound those expectations.

These renderings were derived from hours this weekend I (and our designer) spent in secret, poring over the completely uncamouflaged "sheetmetal" of two versions of the next-gen Corvette. With limited time, we decided to, rather than show you the first one, a base level Corvette, we focused our rendering efforts instead on the high-performance ZR1 trim level.

None of our sources were willing to go on the record or allow me to run their name for fear they might lose their jobs. That's also why I'm showing renderings rather than actual photos — I don't care if it might cast doubt on the veracity of the styling — but I didn't want anyone losing their job over this.

That said, we showed these images to three different sources at General Motors — and all three confirmed that the images you see here accurately portray the ZR1 trim level for the seventh-generation Corvette. A fourth source — a non-GM employee — confirmed that the vehicle we show here is one of two Initial Vehicle Engineering Release (IVER) vehicles that's been making the rounds at the Milford Proving Grounds.

View the gallery
The ZR1 trim level is expected to come out later than the base model Corvette — which is slated for a 2014 model year and a reveal at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show.
At first glance, you think this is nothing more than an evolutionary change to America's supercar. But give it a second for that initial enormously deceiving glance to dissipate into a double-take. The changes — like the very Camaro-esque rear taillights, the over-exaggerated side vents, and a new window in the rear quarter — will be absolutely polarizing to any Corvette fan-boy. And other items — like a split-rear window, a la the Corvette Stingray, won't make it into production.

Tell us what you see — and what you think and like or don't like — in the comments below.

Contact Ray Wert:
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

They won't show their actual photos.

The source would still get fired today for those past actions.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Stew24
Pro

They spoke of a "Non-GM" person that they bounced their renders off of for authenticity to photos, ... so perhaps the source is not a GM employee, but closely tied to one? Still might be risky ...
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me it sounds like they saw the cars in person somewhere. Maybe at a supplier that was working on fitting a body part front clip rear clip etc. maybe at an outside of GM facility. I recall seeing a photo of the new Mustang months before it was announced left outside at a vendor of Fords on a flat bed totally uncovered.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say no...until some future, safer, date.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I recall reading somewhere that Hot Wheels had a car on a toy store's shelf before the actual car was at the dealer. Who is to say that a company like Mattel is not a link in this chain?

Last edited by John T; 01-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I would have to say that the timing of the leak, and the unsecured opportunity for someone to get this close could likely be narrowed down by GM. They have to have an idea of how it happened and who is responsible.

I look very forward to seeing what Tadge has to say about the issue in April at the bash.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

whoa! is that a new photo?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Stew24
Pro

Here's an interesting note. In the article they speak repeatedly that they had access to two models, a base and a ZR1, and they were showing the ZR1. Well, we've seen those exact wheels on some of the camo'd mules yet I didn't feel I was seeing a Zr1, or even a Z06 for that matter when viewing the mules. They didn't appear to be 20" wheels. 19" perhaps, but ... 20"? hmmm.

Also, none of the mules appeared to have anything aggressively different from the others that would suggest a H/P variant. Also, if the fender vents we've seen in the renders are the high end version, then what will the base model vents look like. Traditionally there's been a BIG difference between the base/Z06/Zr1 in this area.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I'd have to be a little skeptical of the fact that the ZR1 was a finalized design at the time Jalopnik obtained the photos. The base car was, but the ZR1 likely not.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
whoa! is that a new photo?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I'd have to be a little skeptical of the fact that the ZR1 was a finalized design at the time Jalopnik obtained the photos. The base car was, but the ZR1 likely not.
The styling likely was. They don't want the high performance versions to be afterthoughts -- aero is too important, for one thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Will Jalopnik Show their Actual Photos???

Quick Reply: Will Jalopnik Show their Actual Photos???