Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro this / Camaro that

Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Camaro this / Camaro that

1965 Shelby Gt 350 has the EXACT same gauge cluster and radio as the Ford Falcon.

The 1967 Shelby GT 500 has the exact same sequential tailights as the Ford Thunderbird.

What is my point?

Two of the the most historic, most valuable, most universally respected muscle cars in history borrowed EXACT pieces from lesser models.

So I guess Carrol Shelby was an idiot...

If you hate the new corvette because you hate the design that IMO is an acceptable position and one many wil take.

If you hate it solely on the basis of perceived brand similarity then you have made a tired weak arguement that the herd has made.

Every time someone makes the camaro point I go out in my garage, sit in my 66 Shelby and thank the car Gods for Carrol Shelby.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion ......... If it matches mine. ha !!!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Other than being 'not round' the rear end of the C7 and the rear end of the Camaro are nothing alike. There may be some brand resemblance, but the whiners have whined this thing into being 'practically identical'. This is simply BS, especially if you look at the facets like you would look at a cut stone. I've written it off that some people just simply must complain about something, and this was the easiest target.

10 days....
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Actually my 1963 Corvette had some Corvair parts, probably the tail lights, and the steering wheel. If there was a forum like his back then I might have been humiliated and ashamed of my purchase. Fortunately no one told me and I loved that car.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes but sweetheart this car is going to be on the up side of 80 grand for the most part. For my 80K I don't want my car looking like anything else but a Corvette. I also don't want a C4 shaped dash with Camaro ***** I owned this design shape before on my many C4s. I want Corvette heritage in a swoopy modern package. The front end I can stomach even the 2013 Taurus grill but the rest needs to be more Corvette for my dalla$

Last edited by Jet Streaming; 01-03-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Streaming
Yes but sweetheart this car is going to be on the up side of 80 grand for the most part. For my 80K I don't want my car looking like anything else but a Corvette. I also don't want a C4 shaped dash with Camaro ***** I owned this design shape before on my many C4s. I want Corvette heritage in a swoopy modern package. The front end I can stomach even the Taurus grill but the rest needs to be more Corvette for my dalla$
The ***** in your blue Vette are more like those from a '68 VW!

WHY is the Forum duplicating images??
Attached Images  
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Lets be real.

1) None of us have actually seen the C7 in person. All we have to go on is renders & artist pictures. On 01/14/13, we can actually talk about how the C7 looks.

2) The vast majority of the people complaining about the C7 right now have no intentions of buying it, regardless of what it looks like. They simply are trying to save face, as their love-of-their life C6 gets dated by a newer, better vehicle.

3) Even if you place the latest rear-end C7 renders, beside a Camaro rear-end. The two dont look alike. The C7 is has more depth & dimension.. and looks way more aggressive. Both vehicles are produced by the same company, taillights can only look so different.
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Actually my 1963 Corvette had some Corvair parts, probably the tail lights, and the steering wheel. If there was a forum like his back then I might have been humiliated and ashamed of my purchase. Fortunately no one told me and I loved that car.
You are my hero of the day.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

You don't pay the premium price for the flagship to only get the damn rowboat.

So the argument is only valid if it actually comes out that way 1/13/13. The argument is valid in the debate over the renderings. It will be valid if it comes to pass. Just because the viwepoint isn't acceptable to some.....never invalidates the point. It is what it is, or what it maybe.....in 10 days!

Who cares if it did look like a Camaro in the rear? You'll get over it and just tune out those comments. Besides....all the Camaro guys are gonna give you the thumbs up everytime they pass by.

Last edited by sfc rick; 01-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Psydef
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Well said Keeks. The car is going to be beautiful.

Haters gonna hate
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

The 65 Shelby goes for about $200,000 and the 67 for $150,000 and yes...... Still have the loaner parts from lesser models.

True car guys have no problem paying double your range for premium models with parts from lesser cars.

So...........
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
You don't pay the premium price for the flagship to only get the damn Pontiac.
Fixed it for ya.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Damn, I just realized the C7 will run on the same fuel as a Camaro. GM really out to specify a special fuel for their halo car instead of sharing the same fuel as lesser models

Keeks, thanks for your continuing stream of information and wisdom!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Did I mention my 34,000 mile 63 SWC has covair parts as well.

So........ The most iconic sports car in history of our specific brand the corvette has actual loaner parts as well...

I must be an idiot collecting Shelby's and old corvettes with all these non-proprietary parts....... My accountant thinks differently as they have been appreciating nicely, even with those crappy loaner pieces.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Yes but sweetheart this car is going to be on the up side of 80 grand for the most part. For my 80K I don't want my car looking like anything else but a Corvette. I also don't want a C4 shaped dash with Camaro ***** I owned this design shape before on my many C4s. I want Corvette heritage in a swoopy modern package. The front end I can stomach even the 2013 Taurus grill but the rest needs to be more Corvette for my dalla$
Other than your spamming manners, I was respecting your opinion. But a 2013 Taurus grill, you gotta be kidding. So an hexagonal grill is used in a lesser car, we can't use hexagons anymore. And how do we know that it was designed before the C7.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
billythekid310
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the C7 won't look like anything else but a Corvette because it is a... that's right Corvette. Also 80K might be the Convert. Who knows? Not me. All I know is what I previously stated it will look like a Corvette.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Fixed it for ya.
Oh, Super! you should have used bold text and underlined it so we would take it more seriously.

Last edited by sfc rick; 01-29-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The ***** in your blue Vette are more like those from a '68 VW!

WHY is the Forum duplicating images??
You are Correct and for my $80K I want something more exclusive! Now you have my point.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro this / Camaro that

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

The chicken littles found your thread Keeks..The Sky is falling...The sky is falling...a new Corvette is going to make my current ride older and worth less!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Not only will the C7 look like a Corvette, but by the time GM marketing has done their thing, it will "look," to the majority of potential buyers, EXACTLY like a Corvette. There is not a car in the world (well, perhaps excluding the ridiculous Bugatti) that doesn't share some design cues with a lesser sibling or different marque. By your logic, the folks who shelled out north of $1 million for an Aston One-77 must be apoplectic about all the similar design cues found in the "base" V-8 Vantage selling at less then 1/10th the price!

You can't pick and choose your heritage, by the way. That C4 interior was a much better driving environment than my C5. The getting in and out, the somewhat cheap materials, and the rattles? Not so much -- and they'll be fixed...
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

It seems to me that you are lumping everyone who has expressed dislike for the C7 rear design in to a contrived group of "they don't like it because they think it looks like a Camaro". While some may feel that way -and I do think there is an intentional "Camaroesque" family resemblance-
there are many of us who have expressed dislike for other reasons, such as:

- the design is discontinuous with the rest of the car; it does not flow well from the side to the rear.
- the rear is too cluttered, with too many different features in one area.
- the spoiler shown is hideous

None of those have anything to do with a Camaro.

BTW, as of this posting the poll is now a 50/50 split of those who have an opinion at this time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camaro this / Camaro that