Why there may be no wide body C7...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ufso
Don't some of the camoed mules show widening of the rear?
I thought so at one point but I didn't know if it was camo. But didn't one have wider rear tires than the other? I could be wrong...
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Well, I'm glad to see that in the last sentence you actually agree with me, at least a little. And I agree with you a little in that there is no doubt that other factors are involved. There will be a similar splitter in some version of the C7...like the one we have seen on the C7 in many images, for instance.

Where did you get that information on the C6Z06 from GM? Send me the link please. I'd love to read it.

Wider fenders are there by law? Show me that one too, please. You can look at this video of Tom Peters (4:25) where he talks about the ZL1 tires that stick outside the body...so GM is breaking the law?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5P7fjt7BI

I know the lower scoops are to provide brake cooling and the C7Z (at least) appears to have them. I'm talking about the upper rear fender vents/scoops on the C7.

Can't speak for other states, but in PA inspection laws require the fender to cover the tire.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Screw the downforce, we need the wide body because it looks bad @$$.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
Well, there is that, I guess.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Vettetetarian
i think at least if it didnt get a wide body for the "Z06" it will have more vents like the 599 GTB and the 599 GTO
Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I have a gut feeling that the C7 will look really REALLY similar to this ^ (minus the rear taillights of course).
I totally agree with that statement.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Brock63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Can't speak for other states, but in PA inspection laws require the fender to cover the tire.
pretty sure the fenders have to ONLY be as wide as the tread surface...bulge at sidewall does not count as it does not throw up rocks and debris...just the contact patch. the pictures being shown by GM it looks like surface contact is contained under fenders but tire sidewall is out a bit further only.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 174 Posts

Well, I'm glad to see that in the last sentence you actually agree with me, at least a little.
I think his point was that the wide body cars do not have better downforce/lift reduction simply by way of being wider. GM used the wider body to cover the wider wheels and tires. But since these cars also were to have a higher performance envelope, they also applied tricks such as splitters and ducting to reduce lift.

To your point, these same tricks can (and likely will) be applied to the C7, regardless of body width.

Given two car body shapes that are the same, I do not believe that there is any inherent downforce benefit to having a wider car. If you have a wider area to apply downforce tools, like wings and splitters, sure, you could generate more. But take a base car that generates lift, an identical body that is wider but offers no other changes won't generate less lift. But I'm an ME, not an AE, so I could be wrong.

I agree there will likely only be one body of C7. Hopefully the proportions are such that it will look good at the width they choose, rather than needing some additional width to look good to people.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CPhelps
I think his point was that the wide body cars do not have better downforce/lift reduction simply by way of being wider. GM used the wider body to cover the wider wheels and tires. But since these cars also were to have a higher performance envelope, they also applied tricks such as splitters and ducting to reduce lift.

To your point, these same tricks can (and likely will) be applied to the C7, regardless of body width.

Given two car body shapes that are the same, I do not believe that there is any inherent downforce benefit to having a wider car. If you have a wider area to apply downforce tools, like wings and splitters, sure, you could generate more. But take a base car that generates lift, an identical body that is wider but offers no other changes won't generate less lift. But I'm an ME, not an AE, so I could be wrong.

I agree there will likely only be one body of C7. Hopefully the proportions are such that it will look good at the width they choose, rather than needing some additional width to look good to people.
Well, I never said that it did have better downforce ONLY by virtue of being wider.

I said that I thought (and he agreed) that it has a lot to do with it though.
There is much more engineering in the "wide body" cars then just to decrease lift(even though that is a major part of the wide body design).
Certainly, the splitters and other body aero features are involved. My point was that the C7, with the aid of the new hood and upper rear fender vents (and the other features involved) may have the same downforce as the C6Z cars.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From all the pics and renders we have seen -- I wouldn't be surprised if the base model is a much more plain version than what everyone has been seeing leak wise.

If there is no widebody or specially made up body for the (hope they make it) Z06 - then I will look elsewhere for my next supercar.

Don't get my wrong - love my 08Z06, but it was disappointing to see them ***** out the body panels and everything that made it unique to lesser models. Maybe that makes me a bit of a Z06 snob, but for the money I spent, it would be nice to feel somewhat exclusive. Bit of a slap in the face but whatever, they are in it for the cold hard cash called profit

It was awesome to be able to look at a corvette from 1/2 a mile away and know it was a Z06 approaching, now? Not so much.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 PM
GarthVader
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Europe too and their annual road inspections are much stricter.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 174 Posts

Well, I never said that it did have better downforce ONLY by virtue of being wider.

I said that I thought (and he agreed) that it has a lot to do with it though.

Certainly, the splitters and other body aero features are involved. My point was that the C7, with the aid of the new hood and upper rear fender vents (and the other features involved) may have the same downforce as the C6Z cars.
Sorry, I may have misinterpreted part of your statement then. I did say "your point..." as a way of agreeing that the C7 doesn't require the width in order to have better downforce characteristics, it can have splitters and ducting such as the Z cars and ZL1.

Aerodynamically speaking I would argue that narrower is better. Less drag from less frontal area.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPhelps

This is basically what I said on the previous page. I don't see how flared wheel wells would give the car more downforce. Only more drag. The benefit was clearly for wider tires. If the length/width proportions are equivalent, a car WITHOUT flared wheel wells would appear to me to have less drag. Afterall, the wheel wells are the only thing wider on the widebody. In other words the wheels should be DESIGNED to be under the car, not an afterthought.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by toxin440
From all the pics and renders we have seen -- I wouldn't be surprised if the base model is a much more plain version than what everyone has been seeing leak wise.

If there is no widebody or specially made up body for the (hope they make it) Z06 - then I will look elsewhere for my next supercar.

Don't get my wrong - love my 08Z06, but it was disappointing to see them ***** out the body panels and everything that made it unique to lesser models. Maybe that makes me a bit of a Z06 snob, but for the money I spent, it would be nice to feel somewhat exclusive. Bit of a slap in the face but whatever, they are in it for the cold hard cash called profit

It was awesome to be able to look at a corvette from 1/2 a mile away and know it was a Z06 approaching, now? Not so much.
I guess that's how some C-6Z owners felt when the C-6 came out.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 AM
Vettetetarian
Heel & Toe

I think wide body + vents would be amazing like this one ( you got the idea )
Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Wide bodies, on any high performance variants (m3, porsche turbo body, z06, zr1) is a result of tire clearance. Generally speaking, the high performance bodies are higher in drag than their standard counterparts. The widebody will likely come down to how much tire this new corvette can fit in its wheel wells.

It is a fact that federal standards and european standards dictate tire coverage. European standards in the past have even forced manufacturers to push the tires inboard due to snowchain fitment requirements. Point is, sometimes what you see on cars here are merely a result of fitting into various international markets legally, even if it doesnt make sense here.

In ALMS, it is true the corvettes have taken advantage of increased track widths and have increased performance as a result. This revealed itself with the 458's who did not take advantage of the track width increase, as they suffered for it.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Don't get my wrong - love my 08Z06, but it was disappointing to see them ***** out the body panels and everything that made it unique to lesser models. Maybe that makes me a bit of a Z06 snob, but for the money I spent, it would be nice to feel somewhat exclusive
Oh, certainly not. Whoring out Corvettes has long been frowned upon. I do understand your dissappointment though.....
Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Oh, certainly not. Whoring out Corvettes has long been frowned upon. I do understand your dissappointment though.....
I think Grand sport is great. It had actually clocked same time as 2006 z06 on german magazine on Hockenheim track. More chassis balancing and brakes than brute force; much more sports car type of approach to performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Why there may be no wide body C7...

Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
GM took the base C6 and raided the parts bin and bingo they had a best seller on their hands. Seems every Corvette owner wants that look even w/o the performance.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
. One thing for sure though, I bet we don't see a GS.
Why not? I love the GS.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

It is pretty hilarious to see folks saying GM 'whored' anything out! GM's job is to make money and if they make/save money by using parts from one car to sell more cars cheaper, so be it.

They would have just been smarter to have made the whole C6 line wide bodied...and I own and love my 'narrow' '05 vert. Then, as in the past, the major differences would have been the engines/accessories involved.

Quick Reply: Why there may be no wide body C7...