Jay Leno's garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jay Leno's garage

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/

Look at the program with Jay and Welburn reviewing four vintage Vetts. Two of these are the Stingray Racer and the 1963 Stingray. Worth viewing and listening to Welburn. IMO, he is saying, between the lines, that the C7 is Stingray inspired. This looks to me like an effort to acclimate the market to the Stingray name and Stingray styling by GM in preparation to the C7 intro. Interesting in that it has been said that the C7 styling will be one of the cars by which Welburn's entire career at GM will be judged. As for Stingray inspiration, we'll have to wait and see the C7 before we can make a better assessment of that. One thing I can say for sure, the C7 will have MUCH BETTER aerodynamics than the Stingray Racer or 1963 car ever had. Even though relatively successful, the racer had tons of lift!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 AM
oldvtr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember someone back in the day (Duntov?) saying the '63 had enough lift to be a bad airplane.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've piloted a 427/435 midyear at speed, and it did indeed get very, very light up near triple digit speeds. I thought maybe it was just old soft suspension, but no, that car definitely didn't generate anything comparable to downforce.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
I've piloted a 427/435 midyear at speed, and it did indeed get very, very light up near triple digit speeds. I thought maybe it was just old soft suspension, but no, that car definitely didn't generate anything comparable to downforce.
It is pretty obvious just looking at it that would happen. That front end/bumper practically begs to lift up...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Great pictures !
Old 12-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/

Look at the program with Jay and Welburn reviewing four vintage Vetts. Two of these are the Stingray Racer and the 1963 Stingray. Worth viewing and listening to Welburn. IMO, he is saying, between the lines, that the C7 is Stingray inspired. This looks to me like an effort to acclimate the market to the Stingray name and Stingray styling by GM in preparation to the C7 intro. Interesting in that it has been said that the C7 styling will be one of the cars by which Welburn's entire career at GM will be judged. As for Stingray inspiration, we'll have to wait and see the C7 before we can make a better assessment of that. One thing I can say for sure, the C7 will have MUCH BETTER aerodynamics than the Stingray Racer or 1963 car ever had. Even though relatively successful, the racer had tons of lift!
Welburn may be stretching when he says influence was derived by the racer and 63 stingray --

if this is what the C7 ends up as -- the Styling of the C7 seems a little more reminiscent of a Datsun -- I liked these Datsuns:

[/QUOTE]

Is it possible GM used a Datsun as their inspiration for the C7

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-29-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Jay knows more about the cars than Welburn.

Get notified of new replies

To Jay Leno's garage

Quick Reply: Jay Leno's garage