Sponsored by:

Corvette/Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrankLP
Good point...thanks for the reminder. Here ya go...
Personally speaking I prefer this sketch of the Corvette over the one that was released earlier today. The sketches we had shown to us today are going to have significant blind spots
Old 12-25-2012, 02:34 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
To me, the design looks pinched, meager and somewhat forced. Let alone derived from the currrent Camaro and several other Chevrolet models.

Different, just to be different. Not better.
Okay. We get it. You hate the C7. Don't buy one.

Just out of curiosity, what are those "other" Chevy models you see the Corvette being derived from?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank

That's nice... here's a '61. (That's 6 years before there was even a Camaro.)
Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Okay. We get it. You hate the C7. Don't buy one.

Just out of curiosity, what are those "other" Chevy models you see the Corvette being derived from?
Your analysis of my remarks is sophomoric. I do not hate the C7. If you need to use the word hate, perhaps you should consult a thesaurus.

I want the C7 aft-end design to make sense, stylistically. In fact, I would like it to be consistent with the front and side styling. I like the front and side views. I do not hate them. They are different enough from the C6 to qualify as new.

In case you haven't been paying attention, the C7 aft end reflects the current Chevrolet design language, shared by lesser cars in the division, one of which is the Camaro (Of which I have bought two new).

We have a different view of the aft-end styling of the C7. It doesn't make you a hater, does it?

I would prefer world-class styling for the C7, rather than Divisional group-think, and styling by committee.

Try to learn to live with opinions that differ from yours, OK?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:20 PM
nolanrj
5th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, to be fair I think we will all have to wait to see the final product before we can really say if we like it or not. It’s the whole car that will be judged not just a single part of it. For me the Corvette has been an icon of American engineering and styling uniqueness. It’s these components together that have made the Corvette a classic in my eye. I like the aggressiveness that we see in the overall C7 design and i also like the design elements of the rear, with only one exception. Care to guess what that might be? This is the only area that could be compared to the Caramo. In my eyes Corvettes should not look like any other GM product. The fact that we are even having this discussion lends credence to the argument that maybe just maybe the Corvette might not be as unique, as one of a kind, or a design leader as I might have hoped for. Whats even worse it that is being compared to another vehicle in the same family of cars! It seems that instead of Chevy borrowing technology and styling from the Corvette to put into its other production vehicles, maybe this time they borrowed some design points from another vehicle to put into the Corvette. We can argue square, round or even squircles so long as it was a unique application that would have been fine. But as soon as it resembles another vehicle, even so slightly, then you remove that distinctness that we have all come to know as a Corvette. Get a 10 year old and show him the tail light assemblies, not the design elements around them but just the tail light assemblies and see what they say. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying I won’t like the C7, I will have to wait to see the car in total, if anything I might be disappointed that it is not as unique as I would like. I drive a Corvette because, to me, there is no other American made vehicle that has the performance or looks as good, it is truly unique. I hoping to be able to say the same thing come Jan 13..
Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM
PhillyLS1
Racer

What an embarrassment
Old 12-25-2012, 08:16 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 516 Posts

With all the leaks, we can surmise what the C7 will look like. It will be spectacular. For those of you that are incessantly whining about the rear end, IT'S DONE, NOT GOING TO CHANGE, GET OVER IT. Listening to your mind numbing negative analysis of the backend is getting to be too much for the positive thinkers on this forum. I have complete faith in Team Corvette and you should too !!!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:39 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Your analysis of my remarks is sophomoric. I do not hate the C7. If you need to use the word hate, perhaps you should consult a thesaurus.

I want the C7 aft-end design to make sense, stylistically. In fact, I would like it to be consistent with the front and side styling. I like the front and side views. I do not hate them. They are different enough from the C6 to qualify as new.

In case you haven't been paying attention, the C7 aft end reflects the current Chevrolet design language, shared by lesser cars in the division, one of which is the Camaro (Of which I have bought two new).

We have a different view of the aft-end styling of the C7. It doesn't make you a hater, does it?

I would prefer world-class styling for the C7, rather than Divisional group-think, and styling by committee.

Couldn't answer my question could you? Since you've obviously changed your original statement to be even more vague, , I"ll try again: So other than the Camaro, what is the "current Chevrolet design language, shared by lesser cars in the division" that we see in the the C7's styling?

Take your time.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nolanrj
Ok, to be fair I think we will all have to wait to see the final product before we can really say if we like it or not. It’s the whole car that will be judged not just a single part of it. For me the Corvette has been an icon of American engineering and styling uniqueness. It’s these components together that have made the Corvette a classic in my eye. I like the aggressiveness that we see in the overall C7 design and i also like the design elements of the rear, with only one exception. Care to guess what that might be? This is the only area that could be compared to the Caramo. In my eyes Corvettes should not look like any other GM product. The fact that we are even having this discussion lends credence to the argument that maybe just maybe the Corvette might not be as unique, as one of a kind, or a design leader as I might have hoped for. Whats even worse it that is being compared to another vehicle in the same family of cars! It seems that instead of Chevy borrowing technology and styling from the Corvette to put into its other production vehicles, maybe this time they borrowed some design points from another vehicle to put into the Corvette. We can argue square, round or even squircles so long as it was a unique application that would have been fine. But as soon as it resembles another vehicle, even so slightly, then you remove that distinctness that we have all come to know as a Corvette. Get a 10 year old and show him the tail light assemblies, not the design elements around them but just the tail light assemblies and see what they say. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying I won’t like the C7, I will have to wait to see the car in total, if anything I might be disappointed that it is not as unique as I would like. I drive a Corvette because, to me, there is no other American made vehicle that has the performance or looks as good, it is truly unique. I hoping to be able to say the same thing come Jan 13..

I guess it all depends on how you define "unique," and how important that really to you. To me, the car looks nothing like a Camaro and is still as unique as any American car from a major manufacturer can be. Combine that with superior performance, break-through design and a (relative) bargain price, and the C7 may just be most unique Corvette yet.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM
User24
Instructor

Originally Posted by qwank

Looks like a long time ago. 40 years or something.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:30 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I guess it all depends on how you define "unique," and how important that really to you. To me, the car looks nothing like a Camaro and is still as unique as any American car from a major manufacturer can be. Combine that with superior performance, break-through design and a (relative) bargain price, and the C7 may just be most unique Corvette yet.
I'm amazed at the shear denial of the "apparent" similarity to the Camaro.

If it looks like the renderings....it's a piece of s**t cause it cedes it's flagship role to the Camaro styling.
The question remains...will the obvious failings affect sales. Probably not.....but it's going to be a long haul fighting off the common mans qeary....."Is that the new Camaro?"

This exercise will end soon, and then the opinons from both sides will be forever cemented in both camps.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by User24
Looks like a long time ago. 40 years or something.
Except that the Corvette had dual tail lights before the Camaro was even around.

So I'd say that the Camaro got it from the Corvette and not the other way around. Then in the 80's the Camaros didn't have dual tail lights at all... And they didn't again until the 5th Gen... So what does that say? Corvettes have had twin tail lights since, what, 61? And that hasn't changed at all... So the only thing I can think of that would set the C7 apart from the 5th Gen Camaro would be round tail lights. And that would look awful with this design. Sorry, but I'm not sacrificing tail lights and making the Vette look ugly and unfinished just because they have a tiny fraction of resemblance to the Camaro which ultimately stole the look from the Corvette anyhow.

Not to mention, the Corvette looks damn good with those tail lights. I guess I'm not a snob like *some* people on here.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 AM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default C7 will be awesome!!!

This comparison is no different from any other car company. Porsche, Audi, BMW, MB, etc. All the cars may have some commonality but these two are really far apart. The C7 will be great. Let's just wait 19 more days to see the actual car.
Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

So much drama.

Remember, nobody ever changes their mind online.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sfc rick

If it looks like the renderings....it's a piece of s**t cause it cedes it's flagship role to the Camaro styling.
The question remains...will the obvious failings affect sales. Probably not.....but it's going to be a long haul fighting off the common mans qeary....."Is that the new Camaro?"

This exercise will end soon, and then the opinons from both sides will be forever cemented in both camps.
Anyone who thinks the two cars in the first post of this thread look alike needs to put down the crack pipe.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 AM
adrian951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick

I agree with this gentleman. I mean why would there be sooo many people making that connection and then a few just keep saying "no no nothing like a camaro" it really is like a denial? Like gm didn't screw the rear? I will ask them to sell it me with rear camo cover on it.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Sorry, but the Camaro's tail lights are more Corvette than Camaro.
How's that?

As for the picture....

These renditions remind me of a 350Z with how the bottom of the car is wider than the top and the rounded taper.

I still don't get why the design had to implement the black eye-liner/mascara in the corders of the tail lights. I think they would look much better without it.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette/Camaro

Old 12-26-2012, 09:28 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
How's that?

As for the picture....

These renditions remind me of a 350Z with how the bottom of the car is wider than the top and the rounded taper.

I still don't get why the design had to implement the black eye-liner/mascara in the corders of the tail lights.
I think they would look much better without it.
It does kinda look like a nissan with to much make up on around the eyes. Or as some have called it, the sad clown face.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by jr3
... the sad clown face.
lol, that is the first time I have heard that comparison.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

And you should try to learn how to answer the question instead of condescending comments like "In case you haven't been paying attention..."

What exactly is the "design language" that you feel the C7 shares with other Chevrolet models?

I have no problem with differing opinions, I do have a problem when cutesy terms like "design language" get slung around. I assume you are not a writer for a car magazine, you just like to read them and pick up terms to use.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Corvette/Camaro