Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmonds Rear View Rendering

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 PM
mtrainer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not feeling the love on the harsh chiseled angles from what we're assuming is the new C7. Corvette, for most of it's life, has been a curvy car. No rendering I've seen thus far would look better than the C6 widebody when parked next to it. I really want to like the C7, I really do especially given the specs seen thus far. But if it doesn't simply look better than the currently model I'll stick w/ my grandsport and see what they do with the C8.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Maybe, maybe not. I think some folks get confused and automatically assume that "new" and "different" is the same as "better". Taint always so - did the '58 Chevy look better than the '57.............
Funny you should reference the '57 & '58 Chevys, as I was just thinking about them the other day. My thought however, was does GM still have the capability to quickly change directions if needed the way they did after the '58 model? The '58 model was all new, but only lasted ONE YEAR! The '59 & '60 were a total breakaway from that one '58 year model. If the taillights on the C7 prove to be a disaster, CAN/WILL GM hurriedly produce a new tail light rear bumper cover, or just make you swallow the medicine and like it?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mtrainer
I'm not feeling the love on the harsh chiseled angles from what we're assuming is the new C7. Corvette, for most of it's life, has been a curvy car. No rendering I've seen thus far would look better than the C6 widebody when parked next to it. I really want to like the C7, I really do especially given the specs seen thus far. But if it doesn't simply look better than the currently model I'll stick w/ my grandsport and see what they do with the C8.

You mean the first mid-engine Vette?

Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Don't worry, NO CAR could ever look better than your C6
Exactly!!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

The problem as I see it is that the rear end already has too many "details".........

Yeah no kidding. I was joking on the people that think a few little nop and tucks are gonna make that rear look like something decent.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by keeks2915
Ha..... You used the word taint..... Ha
He did hahaha
Old 12-22-2012, 01:18 AM
rzmnco
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want circle tail lights!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

The C7 will be the first Corvette that the tail light configuration would be easy to change.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:48 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
The C7 will be the first Corvette that the tail light configuration would be easy to change.

Plastic components are easily changed. . . If there is enough consumer resistance to the corporate design language, i.e Camaro rear end, it will be modified.

I never buy the first year of a GM product, anyway. Well, I did once, and that was enough.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

I hope GM's doin' a great job keeping the C7's looks a secret. All the sneak shots I've seen look terrible. I could never drive a car that ugly! And trust me, they'd never style the tail lights after a Camaro design that's been out for so many years already.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS
I hope GM's doin' a great job keeping the C7's looks a secret. All the sneak shots I've seen look terrible. I could never drive a car that ugly! And trust me, they'd never style the tail lights after a Camaro design that's been out for so many years already.

I sincerely hope you're correct.

However . . . In the event GM decides to emulate a lesser vehicle, and the market rejects the styling, it can be changed fairly quickly and inexpensively.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
[/B]

I sincerely hope you're correct.

However . . . In the event GM decides to emulate a lesser vehicle, and the market rejects the styling, it can be changed fairly quickly and inexpensively.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24
Funny you should reference the '57 & '58 Chevys, as I was just thinking about them the other day. My thought however, was does GM still have the capability to quickly change directions if needed the way they did after the '58 model? The '58 model was all new, but only lasted ONE YEAR! The '59 & '60 were a total breakaway from that one '58 year model.
The 59s were well on their way before the 58s hit the street. Maybe the round-lensed 2015 rear fascia is well on the way already, but I doubt it.

If the taillights on the C7 prove to be a disaster, CAN/WILL GM hurriedly produce a new tail light rear bumper cover, or just make you swallow the medicine and like it?
It won't be nearly so clear as "a disaster." Some will love it, some will get used to it, some will think it's not so bad, some won't think it's a dealbreaker. It will take a lot of harsh criticism and softening sales before GM will change the taillights. Maybe, maybe a mid-cycle styling refresh will happen after three or four years, but I doubt it. There hasn't been a mid-model styling change in almost twenty years, and that was just the fender vents.

Beyond Corvette, how many times in the last two decades has GM restyled the rear fascia and changed the taillights on a car? After one model year?

.Jinx
Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
The 59s were well on their way before the 58s hit the street. Maybe the round-lensed 2015 rear fascia is well on the way already, but I doubt it.

It won't be nearly so clear as "a disaster." Some will love it, some will get used to it, some will think it's not so bad, some won't think it's a dealbreaker. It will take a lot of harsh criticism and softening sales before GM will change the taillights. Maybe, maybe a mid-cycle styling refresh will happen after three or four years, but I doubt it. There hasn't been a mid-model styling change in almost twenty years, and that was just the fender vents.

Beyond Corvette, how many times in the last two decades has GM restyled the rear fascia and changed the taillights on a car? After one model year?

.Jinx
As I recall, my 1985 Firebird Trans Am had very nicely freshened rear end styling. It really was an improvement. Just to answer your question above.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 PM
jncwags
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueox
my wife knows the tail lights aren't round!

if it is what you don't show, why is gm doing anything at all till 1/13/13? Why did they show anyone the lt1?
this sucks!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like a cross between an aztek and fiero!!!!!!! Pontiac is alive and well at gm!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx

.Jinx
My Z06 has a new front fascia(styling change), new front fenders(styling change) and new rear fenders(styling change) that are different from the first year run of the C6. Also three different styled hoods have been produced for the C6.

Then the C5 had the fixed roof coupe that was a styling change from the first two years of the C5.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

None of those are styling changes, they're additional models. Compare a 2004 coupe to a 1997 coupe, or a 2013 coupe to a 2005 coupe.

Quick Reply: Edmonds Rear View Rendering