Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Selective Ride Control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 AM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

GM is now on the 3rd generation MRC system with the Camaro ZL1. I own a 13 ZL1 and after driving my friend's 09 CTS-V (1st gen MRC) and I can say from experience there is a very noticeable difference between how quickly the two systems react and feel. He noticed the same when he drove my car. In addition, the steering effort is changed with the different PTM modes which is possible because of the electric steering. As good as as current MRC is; I know the MRC in the C7 will be even better. It's truly an option worth having and I think those who haven't driven a car with MRC will be amazed how well it works. IMO the MRC is the wave of the future for suspension technology and worth every penny.

Here are some links about MRC

http://jalopnik.com/5932764/how-magn...d-a-race-track

GM test video

ZL1 Owners video on PTM and MRC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xeZMfZ2S4kY

Launch control
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,250 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I do know that GM changed the rear shocks on the Z06's around 2007(????) so my 09 should have the better designed shock(for my application). That said, I can put a complete set of aftermarket shocks on my Z06 fairly cheaply, and really run circles around a base C6 with F55(instead of just running circles around them as I can now).

But, it seems, everyone that hates the Z06 (or owns a base C6 and wants to make themselves feel better by slamming the Z06) likes to talk about the original Z06 vs the later ones. My Z06 goes around the corners quite nicely, thank you. As it is, my Z06 can handle more then I can dish out. But then I'm not a top tier race car driver like a lot of people seem to believe they are.

You know, Kerbeck should have a pretty good idea as to what Corvette purchasers want in a new C6 and then would stock cars with those options. I mean, who would have millions of dollars tied up in inventory that no one wants to buy? Go to Kerbecks site and see how many of their C6's in Inventory have the F55 suspension. Does anyone really believe that all those Corvettes that Kerbeck sells each year are not drivable on the street because their suspensions are poorly designed?
Joe,
Speaking ONLY for me, I have NEVER said the Z06 was undrivable on the street. There is NO question that the early Z06 (2006) was a handful, later versions dealt with the tail happiness of the 2006 through shock tuning. That said, there is NO question that mag ride makes the Z06 (and every other Corvette) more controllable, less twitchy, etc. The fact that Kerbeck chooses to NOT order cars with F55 really proves nothing. They (Kerbeck) are in the volume/discounting Corvette business and as such, order cars that DON'T require them making a sales presentaion on something like F55.... that is why so many of their cars on the ground have automatics/chrome wheels/etc. I would NEVER buy a Corvette with an automatic or chrome wheels. Look at all the GS's they have with automatics, even though getting a GS with a manual/F55 gets you the much improved new generation Goodyears and a hand built, dry sump engine! Clearly, Kerbeck feels their customers want cruisers (nothing wrong with that), since the manual GS has more performance goodies.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-24-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I do know that GM changed the rear shocks on the Z06's around 2007(????) so my 09 should have the better designed shock(for my application). That said, I can put a complete set of aftermarket shocks on my Z06 fairly cheaply, and really run circles around a base C6 with F55(instead of just running circles around them as I can now).

But, it seems, everyone that hates the Z06 (or owns a base C6 and wants to make themselves feel better by slamming the Z06) likes to talk about the original Z06 vs the later ones. My Z06 goes around the corners quite nicely, thank you. As it is, my Z06 can handle more then I can dish out. But then I'm not a top tier race car driver like a lot of people seem to believe they are.

You know, Kerbeck should have a pretty good idea as to what Corvette purchasers want in a new C6 and then would stock cars with those options. I mean, who would have millions of dollars tied up in inventory that no one wants to buy? Go to Kerbecks site and see how many of their C6's in Inventory have the F55 suspension. Does anyone really believe that all those Corvettes that Kerbeck sells each year are not drivable on the street because their suspensions are poorly designed?
Interesting, that my C5 Z06 shock issues weren't resolved until 2004. They just couldn't get the front and rear talking to each other until 2004, and then it was obvious.

I have only passed on what I have read and seen in VIDs, it was the same for years. As the GTR got better it bacame impossible to hide!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Xfactors
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the responses. I plan on treating my new corvette with TLC. I'll drive it under 1500 miles per year, and will rarely go over 40 mph in my new vette. I have covered parking at work, and at home. I may pass on this MSRC. I'm just not sure yet. I don't know if MSRC would make much difference at 35 MPH. I don't want to stress out my vette. I currently drive a 2013 camaro, and treat it the same way.

Last edited by Xfactors; 12-24-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:59 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Buy a Moped!

Originally Posted by Xfactors
Thanks guys for the responses. I plan on treating my new corvette with TLC. I'll drive it under 1500 miles per year, and will rarely go over 40 mph in my new vette. I have covered parking at work, and at home. I may pass on this MSRC. I'm just not sure yet. I don't know if MSRC would make much difference at 35 MPH. I don't want to stress out my vette. I currently drive a 2013 camaro, and treat it the same way.
Corvette's are for driving! The shock TECH is for compliance. The kind of compliance that a lighter engine and mid engine can only afford in the raw. We have to hold a Vette down. I use the huge T1 sway bars and my car doesn't move. Ideally it would move without sending itself off on a tangent, but, NO they need help!(Now the engine?)

Old 12-24-2012, 05:01 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,250 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Xfactors
And don't forget to change the oil after every drive and change the transmission fluid every other drive. I applaud you're not wanting to stress your Corvette. BTW, should you EVER get caught in a rain storm, immediately pull under a bridge overpass until the danger passes, no matter how long that takes.
When it's safe and the rain has stopped, drive home and IMMEDIATELY wash your car with Dawn, clay bar it, and apply 34 coats of Zaino Z2.
Also, put your car up on jack stands and wash the undercarriage to avoid rust.

Jimmy

PS. If you were serious in your post about your driving habits, well, nevermind

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-24-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

I love my z51 option ls3 vette. No question I'm getting the MRC track suspension as it comes on the c7.

Definitely get it would be my suggestion as it now truly is a high performance option.

I won't get all the frue fru crap like nav etc but track pack with dry sump and MRC definitely. Ptm5 is the real deal

The c7 is going to be awesome!

Quick Reply: Magnetic Selective Ride Control?