Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little more info on GM's new engine line up for the trucks, EcoTec3

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I wonder if the 6.2L could get better city mileage than the 5.3L, since its AFM could be more aggressive. GM did say that the Corvette got 6.2L for that reason...
Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 PM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go GM you screwed that up really good, you are now only 100hp short of the Ford base engine, WHOA!!! and you gained 5hp on the 5.3!!!! and better fuel management? great and I am glad you didn't change the truck too much it was dated 5 years ago now we can look at it for another 5 at least. And NO floor shifter? really, is it that hard to do?

For the record I am a hard core GM guy We own nothing but GM's but you guys didn't raise the bar one bit, not at all, your competition is laughing at you right now.
have a nice day and go back in your bubble
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Way to go GM you screwed that up really good, you are now only 100hp short of the Ford base engine, WHOA!!! and you gained 5hp on the 5.3!!!! and better fuel management? great and I am glad you didn't change the truck too much it was dated 5 years ago now we can look at it for another 5 at least. And NO floor shifter? really, is it that hard to do?

For the record I am a hard core GM guy We own nothing but GM's but you guys didn't raise the bar one bit, not at all, your competition is laughing at you right now.
Where did you get that? They didn't even publish any numbers.
Truck customers will soon be able to choose between 6.2-liter and 5.3-liter V8 engines as well as a 4.3-liter V6 version. Horsepower and torque numbers were not released, but GM officials promised the engines are “specifically designed for the way customers use trucks in the real world.”
Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

(From the Tech site)
"What I can tell you is this.... the 4.3liter V6 engine will out perform a stock LS1 in every area possible. Or to say it another way it will drag the STOCK LS1 ***** against the Asphalt. That should give you some type of gaming changing performance we are looking at going forward."

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Now, that begs the question...what is that pump for? Maybe transmission cooling pump for the manual?
From GM's media website, "All engines feature an engine-driven mechanical vacuum pump to enhance braking performance"

I imagine this is the mystery pump.

Since they are moving to electric type power steering that removes the need for a PS pump to provide for the hydraboost braking used on some models.

Last edited by NSC5; 12-14-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
I'm a little confused, although obviously final numbers are needed first. Dodge and Ford both put their new hi po v6 in their trucks, yet Chevy won't?(3.6 in camaro and others) I feel like as long as they mpg was decent, either adding the 3.6 or dropping a v6 altogether and trimming the price on the 5.3 would have been a much better idea. The number of v8 to v6 buyers is probably significant, and most would take the v8 if it was the same or just 1 mpg less then dodge/Ford's v6's. The 4.3 is well past it's expiration date honestly. Now in 2013 it's in the same boat as Ford's 5.4 was. Guess we'll see if this total revamp was actually worth it. I'd wager not a whole lot.
The 3.6L is pretty high strung in the cars. It makes good peak power, but you have to rev to get to it. Not really ideal for a truck motor, IMO.

Why would you assume a "total revamp" is not worth it? The 4.3L is a completely new engine, (different bore and stroke, crankshaft, camshaft, heads, pistons, intake manifold, direct injection, VVT, 11.1:1 compression vs. 9.2:1, etc. ) it's not the 4.3 that has been available forever, the only thing it shares is displacement. The current 4.3L was based off a Gen I SBC, the new one will be based off the Gen V stuff. I for one am happy to see GM stick with relatively large displacements. It probably won't make significantly more peak HP than GM's 3.6L, but I expect it to have a very beefy power curve with the extra displacement and considering what we see with the LT1.

EDIT: Actually, I looked up the LFX's powercurve, and it is better than I thought, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad in a truck. Still think the larger displacement 4.3L tuned for low end torque will suit a truck better though.

Could you please post a link to the power numbers you are referencing? None of the press release info I've read cites power numbers. The base Ford F-150 has 302hp and 278 lb-ft tq from a 3.7L V6. Are you saying that the all new 4.3L only makes 202hp, basically nothing gained from the Gen I based 4.3L Vortec? Very interested to see where you're getting power figure numbers from. I would expect ~330hp/tq from an all new 4.3L based on the Gen V Small blocks. I'm also curious on what the 5.3L makes, since it was rumored to make over 350HP, and what you are saying suggests it only is making ~320?

Last edited by CPhelps; 12-14-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM
0Sierra Speed Shop
Former Vendor

I just want to see them release something similar to the Raptor.

I'm surprised they went with an intake manifold similar to the LT1. I wonder what the main differences are. It used to be a dramatic difference.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Sierra Speed Shop
I just want to see them release something similar to the Raptor.

X10,000
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
(From the Tech site)
"What I can tell you is this.... the 4.3liter V6 engine will out perform a stock LS1 in every area possible. Or to say it another way it will drag the STOCK LS1 ***** against the Asphalt. That should give you some type of gaming changing performance we are looking at going forward."

Bigg Gunz
Isn't this the same guy who said the lt1 would cost $15k? If any of you guys believe him I have a bridge, pyramid, and this big tower thing to sell ya. Your responsibility to pick up from France though...

A 4.3 pushrod v6 is gonna skull drag a 5.7v8 in every possible way. So you guys believe believe this engine is the equivalent of an ls6, but possibly more torque? Mediocre(for direct injection) compression and down a liter and a half... sure, that's believable. Even if the new lt1 managed to come out with 495hp, a 60hp gain over the ls3, you think this new 4.3 is going to be able to even MATCH the ls1 with ls6 intake? That would be gains of 160hp and 115lb ft. And matching it's torque curve, sure it will...

Yeah this guy is officially playing some of you. Be realistic people.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 PM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPhelps
The 3.6L is pretty high strung in the cars. It makes good peak power, but you have to rev to get to it. Not really ideal for a truck motor, IMO.

Why would you assume a "total revamp" is not worth it? The 4.3L is a completely new engine, it's not the 4.3 that has been available forever, the only thing it shares is displacement. The current 4.3L was based off a Gen I SBC, the new one will be based off the Gen V stuff. I for one am happy to see increased displacement. It probably won't make significantly more peak HP than GM's 3.6L, but I expect it to have a very beefy power curve with the extra displacement and considering what we see with the LT1.

EDIT: Actually, I looked up the LFX's powercurve, and it is better than I thought, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad in a truck. Still think the larger displacement 4.3L tuned for low end torque will suit a truck better though.

Could you please post a link to the power numbers you are referencing? None of the press release info I've read cites power numbers. The base Ford F-150 has 302hp and 278 lb-ft tq from a 3.7L V6. Are you saying that the all new 4.3L only makes 202hp, basically nothing gained from the Gen I based 4.3L Vortec? Very interested to see where you're getting power figure numbers from. I would expect ~330hp/tq from an all new 4.3L based on the Gen V Small blocks. I'm also curious on what the 5.3L makes, since it was rumored to make over 350HP, and what you are saying suggests it only is making ~320?
The hp rating on the "new" 4.3 is 260 so yes i did make a mistake on the hp i thaught the Ford base engine was the eco boost at 360hp. the new 5.3 is 330 with DI and DOD or whatever you want to call it, I still by my post it's a joke. And if you think about it that's all they can do the mighty Corvette LT1 is 450 and it's a 6.2 so there is no way they will have more hp than that.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

The hp rating on the "new" 4.3 is 260 so yes i did make a mistake on the hp i thaught the Ford base engine was the eco boost at 360hp. the new 5.3 is 330 with DI and DOD or whatever you want to call it, I still by my post it's a joke. And if you think about it that's all they can do the mighty Corvette LT1 is 450 and it's a 6.2 so there is no way they will have more hp than that.
Where are you getting these new Chevy engine HP numbers??
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

But where are you getting these power figures from? As far as I'm aware they haven't been released.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

He's not. He's trolling like a pro. I think making the 5.3 the base engine would have provided a better effect cost/development wise, while providing a better/cheaper entry engine then Ford/Dodge's v6. The 3.6 has plenty of umph, and a new manifold could have sealed the deal for truck duty since Ford/Dodge's v6's are not a truck spec version.

I absolutely believe if the 5.3 was only 1 mpg highway less then the 4.3, had they not invested money in the 4.3 thereby making the 5.3 cheaper, 99% of truck buyers would be happier. Tow anything at all with the other companies v6's and then the 5.3 and I can guarantee all would take the v8. The 6's just need to rev which annoys most truck owners.

But this guy believing 450hp vette, and 330hp 5.3 is just talking out his back side.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Btw, Ford's ecoboost devours gas in the trucks. Just check any of their forums talking about it. It's fair to say 80% don't get what the mpg ratings are and about 50% weren't even in the ballpark. Towing something? Don't torture yourself by looking at the gas gauge. It's a great idea in theory, this mini diesel, but the turbo's just need to much gas.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
He's not. He's trolling like a pro. I think making the 5.3 the base engine would have provided a better effect cost/development wise, while providing a better/cheaper entry engine then Ford/Dodge's v6. The 3.6 has plenty of umph, and a new manifold could have sealed the deal for truck duty since Ford/Dodge's v6's are not a truck spec version.

I absolutely believe if the 5.3 was only 1 mpg highway less then the 4.3, had they not invested money in the 4.3 thereby making the 5.3 cheaper, 99% of truck buyers would be happier. Tow anything at all with the other companies v6's and then the 5.3 and I can guarantee all would take the v8. The 6's just need to rev which annoys most truck owners.

But this guy believing 450hp vette, and 330hp 5.3 is just talking out his back side.
Trolling because you don't agree with what i said? think about this for a minute, isn't the C7 450hp? you think GM will have a 400 hp 5.3? just apologize when you see it on the web if that's what it takes.
on the other hand i agree with the rest of your post I just wish ppl wouldn't be so quick judging. I don't appreciate you tone you don't know anything about me.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Trolling because you don't agree with what i said? think about this for a minute, isn't the C7 450hp? you think GM will have a 400 hp 5.3? just apologize when you see it on the web if that's what it takes.
on the other hand i agree with the rest of your post I just wish ppl wouldn't be so quick judging. I don't appreciate you tone you don't know anything about me.
Soooo...link or it's bs.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Doing the displacement math on the LT1, a 5.3L version would be worth 385hp. And we know the LT1's 450hp number is conservative, or at least the motor's very conservatively tuned (just look at that torque curve). I don't buy that the truck variant will give up another 55hp. Besides, the competitive target is 360hp, and 30hp is too much to give up to the competition. The 330hp number just isn't credible.

But hey, cite a credible source and shut us up.

As for skipping the V6 altogether, I doubt fleet buyers would be happy. Don't forget that mpg isn't linear to operating cost; and 21mpg vs 20mpg is significant. As for just using a version of the 3.6L DOHC, cost and power curve and service commonality all favor the 4.3L V6 variant of the truck V8.

.Jinx

Get notified of new replies

To A little more info on GM's new engine line up for the trucks, EcoTec3

Old 12-14-2012, 05:20 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Which is why Ox and I have asked you to provide the source of this info. Not calling you a troll but would like to know how you know this information that as far as I know has not been released.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

No, it's not that I disagree with your opinion, you're simply touting your opinion as fact.

The FACT is the lt1's preliminary/estimated(exact words used) are 450/450. Regardless of what some think, release an all few corvette with this totally revamped engine and give it only +14hp and +22tq and sales we be pathetic. Realistically I'm estimating 485. I think 495 is a stretch, but 450 is unacceptable to most, especially since the chance of it weighing less then a z06 is still only a possibility. The 6.4 hemi with variable cam timing makes 470/470. THAT is a realistic target. Down .2L but a ground up design and direct injection/variable cam timing. The hemi has always been close to the lsX motors, size for size.

I've thought that the 5.3 having 310hp was low for years now, but I'm sure its torque curve is plenty impressive for that size engine. 345hp is probably realistic, but about 375lb ft and it's new power curves are what matter far more then peak hp in a truck.

I think the 4.3 is flat out down with 2 other options, but I'm sure the new 5.3 and 6.2 will be great.

No mention of a 6.0 or new displacement though or did I miss that?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

OK, time's up...I officially call BS.

Last edited by BlueOx; 12-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: A little more info on GM's new engine line up for the trucks, EcoTec3