C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many C6Z owners are gonna jump ship?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 PM
JasonH
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great cars have character and personality. The C6 Z06 has this in spades. It really isn't about raw HP or even performance numbers, but how it earns those numbers that counts. I'll consider a C7 Z06 (or whatever they call it) if it has the same engaging character and personality as the C5/C6 Z06.

I hope all the technology doesn't kill the character, like the GTR or new 911. Those cars are fast as heck, but somehow too clean, sterile, and uninvolving. For the same money I'd take a V10 Gallardo with a clutch pedal and gated shifter. Heck, I'd take a C6 Z06/Z07 (I did).

One thing I've considered is that the LS7 may be the last of the 'old school' with port injection and no VVT. With DI and VVT they may be able to tune out a lot of the distinctive flavor - like how it shakes a bit at idle, and barks and coughs during off throttle deceleration. I wonder if the LS7 will be seen as the last easily tuneable motor (cam swaps, ECM programming, intake/exhaust upgrades, etc). I guess with VVT you can do a 'cam swap' in the software, maybe...
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 AM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It funny how supposed Vette fans always seem to be negative about the next gen car before it comes out. "It won't be any faster" "It's ugly" "The value of my car will go up or hold steady because nobody will want the new one". Please, stop the denial. Since the C4, the base model of the new gen Corvette has had similar performance to the high end version of the previous gen. Each generation has had better handling, better interior, and has sold twice as many as the last model year of the previous gen. Also, everytime the new generation goes on sale, the previous generation's market takes a hit to the tune of several thousand dollars. IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN THIS TIME.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

You can always buy the latest and greatest but how long does that last? 3 months? Maybe 6? Then GM makes a tweak here and a tweak there and then you realize your latest and greatest is just a used car with dated technology.
I plan on picking up a C6, maybe 2010 or 2011 GS from someone who is going crazy to sell because they must have a new C7.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonH
Great cars have character and personality. The C6 Z06 has this in spades. It really isn't about raw HP or even performance numbers, but how it earns those numbers that counts. I'll consider a C7 Z06 (or whatever they call it) if it has the same engaging character and personality as the C5/C6 Z06.

I hope all the technology doesn't kill the character, like the GTR or new 911. Those cars are fast as heck, but somehow too clean, sterile, and uninvolving. For the same money I'd take a V10 Gallardo with a clutch pedal and gated shifter. Heck, I'd take a C6 Z06/Z07 (I did).

One thing I've considered is that the LS7 may be the last of the 'old school' with port injection and no VVT. With DI and VVT they may be able to tune out a lot of the distinctive flavor - like how it shakes a bit at idle, and barks and coughs during off throttle deceleration. I wonder if the LS7 will be seen as the last easily tuneable motor (cam swaps, ECM programming, intake/exhaust upgrades, etc). I guess with VVT you can do a 'cam swap' in the software, maybe...
I almost shed a tear for my Z after reading this great post....I sure do miss her
Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stic5
Since the C4, the base model of the new gen Corvette has had similar performance to the high end version of the previous gen.
edit: wasn't the C4 ZR1 with 405hp a lot faster than the base C5????

The major thing the C5 had over the C4 was the design. It was a lot less square looking than the C4, and made the C4 outdated..now only time will tell if the C6 Z06 will have that timeless design.

me being a C6 Z06 owner will be hoping the new vette will be a grand slam because lets face it, its the present/future of corvette!!

Last edited by Slow Vette; 12-11-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
The C7 will provide Z06 like performance and be a WAY better car in pretty much every other non-performance category I can think of.

Just like the C6 coupe did against the older C5Z06.
I agree, the C7 should be pretty competitive with the Z06 and be a better overall car in other categories too. It should be better, its a car that is 9 years newer. As to whether or not it is as fast or faster, I do believe that remains to be seen, it will be very competitive however.

BTW, not sure where everyone is getting this idea, but the C6 wasn't as fast as a C5Z. While it wasn't far off, its pretty clear the C5Zs were a bit quicker than LS2 C6s and it wasn't until the LS3 C6s that a base model finally got competitive.

Not directed at the guy I quoted, but I also find it funny that folks are criticizing C6Z owners for not being interested in jumping ship. A thread is made about opinions and because its different from yours it must be wrong . You would think that someone that could afford a C6Z could afford a C7, right? So its not a cost thing. And given the lack of details around key elements, I'm not surprised some folks are hesitant.

While I do think the C7 will be a great upgrade for some folks, maybe some C6Z owners are already happy with what they have. I find myself in that position, I think the C7 will be great and future owners will love it, but I'm not sure what else more I can ask for than what my C6Z already does for me. There will be refinements in certain areas and for some folks that will be very important, but as my weekend toy, I'm more interested in the car's character rather than the resolution of the navigation screen. While I'm sure the C7 will have a fun unique character of its own, the C6Z has pretty large shoes to fill.

For the record, I'm not dismissing or badmouthing the C7, I am looking forward to it and genuinely excited for it, and one could be in my future, but for me isn't about how great the C7 will be, but rather, being very content and happy with what I have in my garage.

Though if I were to buy a new performance car, I'd likely be looking at a completely different car altogether, just because I want to experience something different.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I believe to tune this VVT in the C7 will be to remove it, which is what I have been told. They have done this with cars that have it already (Other makes). So, it can be done, but I am sure it will cost more.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
Some narrow minded people in here.

Then again, a lot of Z06 drivers are. I'm baffled how an entire group of people, many with the means to trade out, can scoff at and denounce the idea of purchasing a car that had the potential to be superior in every single way to its predecessor, wholly upon the pretense that they stand to lose ***** points in the form of of a couple dozen horsepower in the scope of +/- 500.

Individual aesthetic preferences aside, it will likely be a simply better car in terms of design, technology, fit and finish (guaranteed), balance, efficiency, and utility. But loooord alllllmighty don't they best be takin' away my horsepowers.

I'm baffled by your comments..Why even post since the OP asked Z owners if they where going to jump ship...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I agree, the C7 should be pretty competitive with the Z06 and be a better overall car in other categories too. It should be better, its a car that is 9 years newer. As to whether or not it is as fast or faster, I do believe that remains to be seen, it will be very competitive however.

BTW, not sure where everyone is getting this idea, but the C6 wasn't as fast as a C5Z. While it wasn't far off, its pretty clear the C5Zs were a bit quicker than LS2 C6s and it wasn't until the LS3 C6s that a base model finally got competitive.

Not directed at the guy I quoted, but I also find it funny that folks are criticizing C6Z owners for not being interested in jumping ship. A thread is made about opinions and because its different from yours it must be wrong . You would think that someone that could afford a C6Z could afford a C7, right? So its not a cost thing. And given the lack of details around key elements, I'm not surprised some folks are hesitant.

While I do think the C7 will be a great upgrade for some folks, maybe some C6Z owners are already happy with what they have. I find myself in that position, I think the C7 will be great and future owners will love it, but I'm not sure what else more I can ask for than what my C6Z already does for me. There will be refinements in certain areas and for some folks that will be very important, but as my weekend toy, I'm more interested in the car's character rather than the resolution of the navigation screen. While I'm sure the C7 will have a fun unique character of its own, the C6Z has pretty large shoes to fill.

For the record, I'm not dismissing or badmouthing the C7, I am looking forward to it and genuinely excited for it, and one could be in my future, but for me isn't about how great the C7 will be, but rather, being very content and happy with what I have in my garage.

Though if I were to buy a new performance car, I'd likely be looking at a completely different car altogether, just because I want to experience something different.
nailed it...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

No plans on selling the Z06 for the C7.

But if the new C7 is mind blowing great..........who knows?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Do you really think that in the 5 years since the LS3** was announced, that GM engineers adding VVT & DI technology could only come up with 14 more hp?

On 01/13/13 expect to see between 480-500hp announced in the base C7 model.

**FWIW.. you can already order a crate LS3 with a hot cam that produces 480hp**

** FWIW you can order a crate LS3 (LSX) with 525hp
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
You can always buy the latest and greatest but how long does that last? 3 months? Maybe 6? Then GM makes a tweak here and a tweak there and then you realize your latest and greatest is just a used car with dated technology.
I plan on picking up a C6, maybe 2010 or 2011 GS from someone who is going crazy to sell because they must have a new C7.
Not necessarily true. Anyone who bought a 2006 Z06 got a helluva bargain. Because its pretty much the exact same car as 2013 Z06. It looks exactly the same and has the exact same engine.

Thats almost 8 years of.. "the latest & greatest".
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm jumping.................
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll wait for the C7Z
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Alligator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keeping my Z06 for life. Just too attached to it.
Had 2 chances to trade up to a ZR1 - but just couldn't let it go.

Maybe I'll add a C7 to my stable later depending on how it looks...but nothing beats the fender flares of a widebody C6.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
JsnMR2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will never buy the base car.. I'll be waiting for the C7 Z06 which I'm sure is a minimum two years out. Until then, no rush here!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an 09 C6 Z06 and am anxiously awaiting the C7 reveal. For the most part I like what I see as far as the renders go. Will I trade down??? Not likely unless the actual perforrmance is on par with what I have. Its more likely I would wait a couple years for the Z06 version or what ever it will be. Either way, I will most likely be waiting a couple years for the bugs to get worked out and prices to come down to earth. Regardless, I do see the next car I purchase being a C7. I am sure the actual car will look better than the renders and I am also certain I will like it.

Get notified of new replies

To How many C6Z owners are gonna jump ship?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Not likely. I made that mistake trading my 2003 Z06 for a 2006 C6 with Z51. The 2006 wasn't as fast despite some opinions and commentary to the contrary. I would wait a few years to see what the Z06 and/or ZR1 versions of the C7 have to offer. I am perfectly content with what I have for the moment. Besides, I am running ~650HP, so it would definitely be a downgrade for me.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
Some narrow minded people in here.

Then again, a lot of Z06 drivers are. I'm baffled how an entire group of people, many with the means to trade out, can scoff at and denounce the idea of purchasing a car that had the potential to be superior in every single way to its predecessor, wholly upon the pretense that they stand to lose ***** points in the form of of a couple dozen horsepower in the scope of +/- 500.

Individual aesthetic preferences aside, it will likely be a simply better car in terms of design, technology, fit and finish (guaranteed), balance, efficiency, and utility. But loooord alllllmighty don't they best be takin' away my horsepowers.

Talk about narrow minded---this statement is the very crux of narrow minded. Of course the vette is all about power AND WE DO NOT NEED THE TRITE REFERENCE TO THE *****. You throw around horsepower (and torque) like it is meaningless to most of us. Well it ain't. No body is going to be rushing to trade in their ZR1s for a lesser performing car. There will be no flood. Hate to tell you but prices on the "old" ZR1s are not going to go down in any meaningful manner. You obviously don't own a ZR1. If you have to have a better interior and more gadgets fine but that is not the force behind the vette. What a weenie This statement is IMHO just like yours is. How many wedgies did you receive in highschool? Again, IMHO, enough to ruin some brain cells. For once I don't care how badly I get flammed.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, as a former owner of both a base 2007 w/Z51 and a 2006 Z06........I already jumped ship and am following the C7.....so far not too impressed.

Actually owning a C6 Z06 made me a little paranoid thanks to the confirmed cyl head issues and self destruction. Sucks to know if the engine blew I'd have to cough up 15k for a replacement, just took a bit of the fun away from owning it. Ended up selling the car earlier this year and putting a chunk of cash down on the house positioning me much better financially. Not to mention paying a premium for a widebody look only to have it become much more common with the Grand Sport.....I have not forgotten that little move by GM lol. I understand why they did it, but it really irked me when the GS was released in 2009.

I really did end up missing the targa top much more then I thought I would, my next vette either will be a late model C6 GS or a C7. Crazy HP numbers are nice but I'll give up a little speed if the package, as a whole, is better.

Quick Reply: How many C6Z owners are gonna jump ship?