Sponsored by:

Roots or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Odds are pretty good the LT4 will make 750hp or so. A Rotrex is 3-5% more efficient so the peak power would be slightly higher. A turbo could probably make close to 800hp. Less than 50hp on top of 750hp going from Rotrex to turbo might be worth the tradeoffs to you, but not to me. In fact, at 750hp I wouldn't worry at all about getting more power, but rather HOW to make it in a more civilized manner.

Turbos are fantastic for A to B cars. 1.4L turbo diesels make sense. Maybe that way the gas savings vs. other FI will be enough to service those turbines when they blow up or blow up something else.
Turbos are pretty damn civilized if sized probably for the application. The only reasons you see more supercharged cars in the forced induction sections, is because of A) cost, and B) complexity of installation. Once someone in those sub forums go turbos, they never go back to blowers. Someday my FRC will make the switch when I have the money lying around. I love my T-Trim, but there's nothing like turbos.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default The problem with generalizing!

I would not take a turbo car to the track. I don't like the throttle response. I don't like replacing turbos. I don't like how it muffles the engine symphony. I don't like how it generates massive heat.

Different strokes for different folks
http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/mclaren_mp4-12c.html

Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Now drive a zr1 and report back which turbo you think tops it.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo

"When first announced, McLaren claimed that it would have a higher horsepower to carbon dioxide emission ratio than any internal-combustion engine available at the time."

That's what I really want, a supercar that farts lightly. Oh, and can go over a speed bump without messing my hairdo. If only there was a competitor to show how a supercar should feel and sound... hint 458.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The problem is!

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
Now drive a zr1 and report back which turbo you think tops it.

The ZR1 is top heavy and several of it performance numbers have been beat by the centennial Z06 so I don't need a turbo to start with. The roots produces low range torque and turbos mid... Go figure!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The Eco car!

"When first announced, McLaren claimed that it would have a higher horsepower to carbon dioxide emission ratio than any internal-combustion engine available at the time."

That's what I really want, a supercar that farts lightly. Oh, and can go over a speed bump without messing my hairdo. If only there was a competitor to show how a supercar should feel and sound... hint 458.
Ferrari's are pigs! Some of the worst fuel economy out there. Turbos show up in some of the best MPG cars on the road!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Hope so!

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
Wasn't there a photo of an LT1 on a test stand wearing twin turbos that GM had pulled offline in a serious hurry.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Ferrari's are pigs! Some of the worst fuel economy out there. Turbos show up in some of the best MPG cars on the road!

So do PD superchargers. My factory PD supercharged Mercedes sedan gets 19 around town and 29 on the highway at 75 MPH(and it's 14 year old technology). I consider that pretty darn good.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

The ZR1 is top heavy and several of it performance numbers have been beat by the cenntenial Z06. The roots produces low range torque and turbos mid... Go figure!
In the comparisons the tach hardly ever comes down low enough for mid and low sections of the powerband to matter

Turbos can be mounted in the valley, have been mounted in the valley, and if GM were to use them there is a good chance they will end up in the valley. See BMW:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Sensible People!

Originally Posted by Racer X
Turbos. They don't have nearly the same paralytic drag, so they produce the more horsepowe at the same boost.

They do not "produce" heat. All of the heat of an engine is produced via combustion. Turbos will absorb heat and radiate it to some degree wherever they are located. Proper design and shielding will reduce this issue. They will heat the intake charge due to compression, but do so all forced induction conpressors, no matter how they are driven.

The only type of racing where turbos have not dominated roots or other engine driven compressors is drag racing.

Do they require a different style of driving? Yes, but any competent driver should be able to master it, if properly trained or they have a desire to learn.

Today's DCTs reduce one of the turbo's issues, coming off boost when lifting the throttle for shifting. No lift, no reduced boost.

Turbo's are a bit easier to intercool.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Outstanding!

In the comparisons the tach hardly ever comes down low enough for mid and low sections of the powerband to matter

Turbos can be mounted in the valley, have been mounted in the valley, and if GM were to use them there is a good chance they will end up in the valley. See BMW:
I was looking for this, since, it was mentioned turbos wouldn't require a high rise hood. Yes, BMW has them in the valley and GM isn't above copying. I think Honda or somebody has been running reduced cylinders for years now.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-09-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Awesome!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
So do PD superchargers. My factory PD supercharged Mercedes sedan gets 19 around town and 29 on the highway at 75 MPH(and it's 14 year old technology). I consider that pretty darn good.

But, I don't think sharing technology with a Mercedes is necessarily a good marketing strategy for a Vette!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

That BMW DOHC head is taller than the small block, and yet those turbines are towering over. It will need at least as much hood clearance as the TVS. Then think that 750hp will require much larger turbines. It will be a really tall block.

I would say circuit racing is dominated by all motor applications. If Turbos were so great, there would be virtually no Porsche GT3s sold, only 911 Turbos, and GT2s. I can tell you for a fact there are loads of GT3s on the Nurburgring, probably the most common car there when they rent out the track for Porsche events.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

That BMW DOHC head is taller than the small block, and yet those turbines are towering over. It will need at least as much hood clearance as the TVS. Then think that 750hp will require much larger turbines. It will be a really tall block.

I would say circuit racing is dominated by all motor applications. If Turbos were so great, there would be virtually no Porsche GT3s sold, only 911 Turbos, and GT2s. I can tell you for a fact there are loads of GT3s on the Nurburgring, probably the most common car there when they rent out the track for Porsche events.
I mentioned the high rise hood factor, because all turbo kits for the Corvettes fit under the stock hood in multiple locations. GM would follow suit with that, and not like the DOHC setup posted above.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Scary torque!

It has to be controlled and that is happening in concert with climbing MPG.
And we've talked about packaging before and here you are talking about the rudest car ever to hit the planet now becoming optimum.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I mentioned the high rise hood factor, because all turbo kits for the Corvettes fit under the stock hood in multiple locations. GM would follow suit with that, and not like the DOHC setup posted above.
Could be. On the other hand the "big brother" motor might be used by other GM cars, like a Caddy or Camaro. In that case FI that doesn't sit in the valley will need to be redesigned for every chassis. Doesn't strike me like a good idea from an economies of scale approach. Profit is not maximized!

All this is moot imo, Keeks showed us the LT4, it will be roots. That turbo engine on the dyno was barely visible, it could be the V6 going into the ATS to satisfy the Euro market. It could also be a test mule that never sees production. The rendering Keeks showed us looked factory fresh and ready to roll out to costumers.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

But, I don't think sharing technology with a Mercedes is necessarily a good marketing strategy for a Vette!

I guess that leaves out using turbo's on a Vette as Mercedes has also been using turbo's on their cars. The Bi-Turbo CLS550 coupe has a 4.2L V8 with 402 HP and gets 16 in town and 25 on the highway. The CLS63 AMG has a 5.5L biturbo V8 with 518 Hp and also 16 in town, 25 highway.

The SLS AMG St gets a NA 6.3L V8 with 583HP but drops to 13 in town and 19 highway.

A 450 HP base C7 that gets around 22 in town and 30 on the highway for a measly $50,000 looks pretty darn good. I bet a factory PD supercharged C7 with around 550-575 HP for $65,000/$70,000 and getting 20 in town and 27 on the highway would really be neat.

Get notified of new replies

To Roots or Turbo?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone post that pic of lt4? I can't find it
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
Can someone post that pic of lt4? I can't find it
It is a very low profile blower, like the Edelbrock E-Force, that will not require a different hood then what is used on the base LT1 cars.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

It has to be controlled and that is happening in concert with climbing MPG.
And we've talked about packaging before and here you are talking about the rudest car ever to hit the planet now becoming optimum.
What I really want to know is what happens to an LT1 if I dump 100 octane in it at the nearby track?

I can live with 475hp car daily, and 575hp at the track. Any 335 section street tire will be the limitation at that point and I'm not ever planning on running slicks or special order Veyron Michelins.

Quick Reply: Roots or Turbo?