8.85%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Taillight shape emotional attachment

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
germanc5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

***** and Corvette tail lights should be round. Awesome avatar, op.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

I'm worried about what I've seen (speculated) about the rear. I hope the designers and engineers respect the a** of the Corvette--it's always been one of her finest qualities. I would be very disappointed if they abandoned round and went to some Camaro-esque design :-(
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Tim Coltrain
Racer

Default Round

Hers are round to...................
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

The results of this poll, and some of the comments, stunned me. I love Vettes, and I must admit that each generation has plenty of styling cues I like, with very few I dislike. But here's the thing. I totally don't care about round tail lights, nor do I see anything more than a very slight Camaro resemblence in the renders. However, it would be silly for me to dismiss the comments of the majority on this site (another similar poll has produced similar results).

So, here's a thought for discussion. Could it be that because I am not a lifetime Vette lover that things are different? I always liked the Vette's looks (although the rubber-bumper C3's did not do it for me), but decades ago, a couple rides in earlier models (C2, C3) convinced me they were unsophisticated coal carts with big V8's -- heavy, primitive and unwieldy. So I stayed away as if they were poison, instead opting for sporty/sports cars that met my definition of a great ride. After having a nasty experience when a scumbag tried to foist a bad 944S on me I test drove a '93 (this in 2005). Pretty much just for kicks; not a serious interest.

Awesome. Sports. Car.

Light-years faster than any other sports car in the price range, nice looking (square tails, BTW) and properly sorted -- reasonably comfortable and responsive, and great "sticking ability." I bought it the next week at the guys asking price. The predjudice melted away -- I felt it was simply the best all-around sports car for the money, and still is.

I now drive an '01 Z06. Same thing. To me, nothing else in the price range comes even remotely close -- I love the looks as well.

So here's the thing. If the C7 continues to be the best sports car for the money by a huge margin (and I think it will), and looks really good (and I think it will) then to me it will look EXACTLY like a Vette!

So, think about your vote, and how you came to love Vettes. I wonder if there is a correlation between how old folks were when they started loving Vettes, and whether the actual "shape" of the tail lights means anything to them? Could that explain results that are simply incomprehensible to me?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I said this in another thread...you should not assume the Camaro had this light design first. It's not like they just started designing the C7 a few weeks ago. I would not be surprised if a design for a Corvette didn't find it's way on to another car as a test bed, or pilot program.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Overwhelming poll results! However, don't count on GM giving a flying Fbody.................remember Keeks' quote from his GM sources - "they'll get over it"......................
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Overwhelming poll results! However, don't count on GM giving a flying Fbody.................remember Keeks' quote from his GM sources - "they'll get over it"......................
I honestly think this Camaro taillight crap is the most idiotic thing I have ever seen on this forum. I really do. What a bunch of whiners. I hope the taillights are more like the Camaro than even the renderings show, just to **** you guys off to the max.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I was thinking about these tail lights. It would be ironic if Chevrolet would change them after the first year to round lights. Then produced the C7 for 7 more years. When the car becomes a collector car you know which would be the most valuable? The ones without round lights. Like a split window coupe.. The joke would be on today's trolls.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
I honestly think this Camaro taillight crap is the most idiotic thing I have ever seen on this forum. I really do. What a bunch of whiners. I hope the taillights are more like the Camaro than even the renderings show, just to **** you guys off to the max.
Wow - where does this poll say anything about "Camaro" taillights? i guess you must equate "not round" with Camaro?

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I was thinking about these tail lights. It would be ironic if Chevrolet would change them after the first year to round lights. Then produced the C7 for 7 more years. When the car becomes a collector car you know which would be the most valuable? The ones without round lights. Like a split window coupe.. The joke would be on today's trolls.
nice attitude - anybody who has a different opinion than you do is a "troll"............
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

By definition a tail light fetish is a troll. My point was what would be if that change took place.
The last laugh comes Sunday. When the car creates so much demand that the subject in this forum changes to "getting the car complaints" but not right away the tail light haters will just get one more shot..

But by the way I think the 49rs have a great shot this year...
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
The results of this poll, and some of the comments, stunned me. I love Vettes, and I must admit that each generation has plenty of styling cues I like, with very few I dislike. But here's the thing. I totally don't care about round tail lights, nor do I see anything more than a very slight Camaro resemblence in the renders. However, it would be silly for me to dismiss the comments of the majority on this site (another similar poll has produced similar results).

So, here's a thought for discussion. Could it be that because I am not a lifetime Vette lover that things are different? I always liked the Vette's looks (although the rubber-bumper C3's did not do it for me), but decades ago, a couple rides in earlier models (C2, C3) convinced me they were unsophisticated coal carts with big V8's -- heavy, primitive and unwieldy. So I stayed away as if they were poison, instead opting for sporty/sports cars that met my definition of a great ride. After having a nasty experience when a scumbag tried to foist a bad 944S on me I test drove a '93 (this in 2005). Pretty much just for kicks; not a serious interest.

Awesome. Sports. Car.

Light-years faster than any other sports car in the price range, nice looking (square tails, BTW) and properly sorted -- reasonably comfortable and responsive, and great "sticking ability." I bought it the next week at the guys asking price. The predjudice melted away -- I felt it was simply the best all-around sports car for the money, and still is.

I now drive an '01 Z06. Same thing. To me, nothing else in the price range comes even remotely close -- I love the looks as well.

So here's the thing. If the C7 continues to be the best sports car for the money by a huge margin (and I think it will), and looks really good (and I think it will) then to me it will look EXACTLY like a Vette!

So, think about your vote, and how you came to love Vettes. I wonder if there is a correlation between how old folks were when they started loving Vettes, and whether the actual "shape" of the tail lights means anything to them? Could that explain results that are simply incomprehensible to me?
"Unsophisticated coal carts." "heavy, primitive, unwieldy". What a laugh. You don't have a clue.

The C2(and the C3's had the same chassis) were great "little" sports cars.

My 1964 C2 coupe
Curb weight.....3125 lbs( but also subtract 12.5 lbs as the C2 has a 20 gal gas tank)=3112 lbs(vert was another 15 lbs lighter then the coupe).

Weight distribution F/R 48%/52%

length 175.3"
width 69.3"
height 49.8"

Tire size 6.70-15

My 2009 C6 Z06 coupe
Curb weight....3175 bs

Weight distribution F/R 50%/50%

Length 175.6"
width 75.9"
height 48.7"

Tire size 275/35-18, 325/30-19

Items in red are "lighter, smaller or help the car in the corners".

Actually, my 64 is quite agile with modern gas shocks and 205/70-15 radial tires. Modern tires do add measuredly to the car's "sticking" ability. Simple and very cost effective change to a C2.

While my Z06 has the added benefit of 45 years of technology over my 64, that dose not make the 64 a dog, as you very clearly proclaimed.

Oh, and to keep on the subject of taillights; My C2 has round taillights, like the eleven years of Corvettes before it. But, I always did like the looks when people added a third taillight to each side, for a tolal of six, on their C2's. I always say, "the more round taillights you have, the better man you are for it".

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-07-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

By definition a tail light fetish is a troll. My point was what would be if that change took place.
The last laugh comes Sunday. When the car creates so much demand that the subject in this forum changes to "getting the car complaints" but not right away the tail light haters will just get one more shot..

But by the way I think the 49rs have a great shot this year...
I believe you and many others are confusing those of us who do not care for the C7 entire rear fascia with a "tail light fetish" - whatever the heck that is............... It's about much more than just the taillights. I will say that the one faint glimmer of hope I have is the rear view sketch that BlueOx showed a few weeks back, which was purportedly from the owner's manual. The proportions in that looked better (less bad?) than anything else I have seen. At least that entire rear end didn't seem to have a "Camaroesque" family resemblance.

Niner's this year? I dunno. I'm a big fan, but have my concerns. Rookie QB, a shift in offensive game plan to better fit his strengths, and a resultant decline in the running game production and overall offensive continuity. Not a good way to go into the playoffs. They've traded off overall offensive balance for big play potential, and now the D is on the field longer too, wearing them down.

Sometimes it's not a great idea to change horses in the middle of a stream.............

I'd love to be wrong on this!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
"Unsophisticated coal carts." "heavy, primitive, unwieldy". What a laugh. You don't have a clue.

The C2(and the C3's had the same chassis) were great "little" sports cars.

My 1964 C2 coupe
Curb weight.....3125 lbs( but also subtract 12.5 lbs as the C2 has a 20 gal gas tank)=3112 lbs(vert was another 15 lbs lighter then the coupe).

Weight distribution F/R 48%/52%

length 175.3"
width 69.3"
height 49.8"

Tire size 6.70-15

My 2009 C6 Z06 coupe
Curb weight....3175 bs

Weight distribution F/R 50%/50%

Length 175.6"
width 75.9"
height 48.7"

Tire size 275/35-18, 325/30-19

Items in red are "lighter, smaller or help the car in the corners".

Actually, my 64 is quite agile with modern gas shocks and 205/70-15 radial tires. Modern tires do add measuredly to the car's "sticking" ability. Simple and very cost effective change to a C2.

While my Z06 has the added benefit of 45 years of technology over my 64, that dose not make the 64 a dog, as you very clearly proclaimed.

Oh, and to keep on the subject of taillights; My C2 has round taillights, like the eleven years of Corvettes before it. But, I always did like the looks when people added a third taillight to each side, for a tolal of six, on their C2's. I always say, "the more round taillights you have, the better man you are for it".
I am not looking to bust your chops Joe but I was not a fan of the C1 driving dynamics under any circumstances...No doubt they could be very pretty and radial tires transformed them but 356 Porsche of the same year was from a different planet. The 63 was an entirely different story !
Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe you and many others are confusing those of us who do not care for the C7 entire rear fascia with a "tail light fetish" - whatever the heck that is............... It's about much more than just the taillights. I will say that the one faint glimmer of hope I have is the rear view sketch that BlueOx showed a few weeks back, which was purportedly from the owner's manual. The proportions in that looked better (less bad?) than anything else I have seen. At least that entire rear end didn't seem to have a "Camaroesque" family resemblance.
Hate to disagree but the issue IS about the tail lights some perceive as "Camaroesque". The point is it will be what it will be and if people don't like them they won't buy them or they will buy alternatives to them in the aftermarket. It is that some people here are hating/condemning the C7 prematurely based this perception.

I honestly haven't made up my mind yet. So why not just wait to see instead of creating this atmosphere of hate we have seen?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Hate to disagree but the issue IS about the tail lights some perceive as "Camaroesque". The point is it will be what it will be and if people don't like them they won't buy them or they will buy alternatives to them in the aftermarket. It is that some people here are hating/condemning the C7 prematurely based this perception.

I honestly haven't made up my mind yet. So why not just wait to see instead of creating this atmosphere of hate we have seen?
We disagree. The "atmosphere of hate" I have seen here has been created by those who criticize the opinions of others who have dared to say they do not like the apparent rear end design of the C7. They have done so by by calling others "whiners" "haters", and other negative terms. Conversely, I haven't seen the critics calling the supporters any negative terms like say maybe "fanbois" or something similar. So, I ask you, who has actually created your "atmosphere of hate"?

Seems to me like you all have stolen a page right out of Saul Alinsky's tactics for radical politics - demonize your opponent, and then criticize them for being what you have accused them of.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We disagree. The "atmosphere of hate" I have seen here has been created by those who criticize the opinions of others who have dared to say they do not like the apparent rear end design of the C7. They have done so by by calling others "whiners" "haters", and other negative terms. Conversely, I haven't seen the critics calling the supporters any negative terms like say maybe "fanbois" or something similar. So, I ask you, who has actually created your "atmosphere of hate"?

Seems to me like you all have stolen a page right out of Saul Alinsky's tactics for radical politics - demonize your opponent, and then criticize them for being what you have accused them of.
Tux, you need to go back and read some of the things that have been said about the Corvette design team here. Don't bring BS politics into it just go back and read how many have made this such a huge issue over and over and over and over again. Some are acting like 5 yr olds about it and they don't even know what the car will look like yet. That is when they get made fun of...for being childish clowns who feel like they 'own' the Corvette's heritage. It's ridiculous.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Tux, you need to go back and read some of the things that have been said about the Corvette design team here. Don't bring BS politics into it just go back and read how many have made this such a huge issue over and over and over and over again. Some are acting like 5 yr olds about it and they don't even know what the car will look like yet. That is when they get made fun of...for being childish clowns who feel like they 'own' the Corvette's heritage. It's ridiculous.
Perhaps we are talking about two different subsets of the folks involved. I definitely see an intolerance for anyone who dares to say they don't personally care for the apparent rear fascia design, and a subsequent labeling of all such as "haters". Maybe you should just stop using that term?

Sorry if the political reference confused you - but I still think it's a valid analogy to what is going on here. If someone disagrees with you, just label 'em as "whiners", haters", or, oh yeah, I forgot this one - "Trolls". Better yet, accuse 'em of just focusing on the tail lights...............

Last edited by tuxnharley; 01-07-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To Poll: Taillight shape emotional attachment

Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

I apologize. I promised never to say "Tail Light" again. I went and did it. Sorry.

GO Niners!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I apologize. I promised never to say "Tail Light" again. I went and did it. Sorry.

GO Niners!
"Tail light" is fine , it was the "fetish" part that creeped me out! Sounded like "autoerotica" or something...........

Go Niners!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I said this in another thread...you should not assume the Camaro had this light design first. It's not like they just started designing the C7 a few weeks ago. I would not be surprised if a design for a Corvette didn't find it's way on to another car as a test bed, or pilot program.
No, no the camaro did have that style first. They were supposed to(very loosely I'd say) resemble the 69 camaro's tail lights I believe, or one of the older models. It's a stretch from some angles, but they are a tribute.

For those saying "we haven't seen the car yet"... good one. Jalopnik got it wrong, the body panels on the mules are actually a clever hoax, and, as I was told by an insider, it's actually rear engine with no visible tail lights. It's actually got a super high tech paint that, when exposed to red light like from brake or stop lights, turns invisible so you can see the lights come on underneath. Easily retro-fitted to, strangely enough, only the c4 zr1. Cool stuff huh?

Quick Reply: Poll: Taillight shape emotional attachment